Simi Shittu Update | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Simi Shittu Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Wait, you're claiming Calhoun was teaching the team Xs and Os in 2014?

That's what you're saying?

I was waiting for the day that Rubicon would be crossed.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Ollie benefited greatly from Calhoun being around a lot the first 2 years, having Hobbs and Miller on the bench, and of course having good players that Calhoun recruited to UCONN like Napier, Boat, Griffey, and Daniels all high level recruits who were coached either 2 years or 1 year under Calhoun and got to play and practice against Kemba Walker, Jeremy Lamb, Andre Drummond, etc.

That's the real story and it's not a negative it's just the truth. Ollie gets credit of course for the title because he was head coach and coached well in the tournament, but having those players and coaches helped Bigly.

Since then with his own players, it's been a struggle finishing above 6th in the AAC with yearly losses to Tulsa. No NBA player produced and the old guard has been replaced and our ace recruiters can't beat Rutgers the Johnnies and Texas Tech for recruits. This is why people are rightfully concerned.

And thank you for being repetitive on every thread regardless of thread topic. Again, we were not sure of your opinion so please take up more space. I think your point is that things suck. We all thought things were great. Again thanks.

Reaction Score
dick1999,
KOs accomplishments get maligned daily here. It was Calhoun. It was Shabazz. It was the incredible talent of the team. Just stupid stuff coming from people, some involved in this thread.
It also happened with Calhoun btw. " He is past his prime. He should retire. He can't relate to modern players."
Benedict will decide Ollie's fate. In the meantime, rest assured we know your opinion and don't feel compelled to post it every day on every recruiting thread.
What incredible insight. Thanks for sharing. Benedict will decide Ollie's fate.......mind blowing.

Reaction Score
If, like you, I repeat it 1000 times, it will be even better.
You must be one of these casual fans Chief always talks about. I forgive you. No sense debating some one who has no idea what they are talking about. Repeat 1000x? If you think I I have repeated this arguement, maybe show some constraint the next time you hit the bottle.

Reaction Score
The things we read here are sometimes insightful, sometimes just hilarious and ridiculous rolled in one (magic you're the leader of this brigade and the King of worthless broken record BS) and some just being as optimistic as possible during trying times. We've all heard KO did "something" to change his ways and make it tough to recruit. I guess based on some things that have happened there has to be some truth to this, but how much, I doubt it's all about KO.

Instead of going into any long rants which I would love to based on those who are choosing to jump off the bandwagon, I'm going to just point to one thing which makes me believe MOST of the crap being flung around is BS. Here's your choice, listen and agree with Steve Enoch and Juwan Durham who both played a lot less than they thought while I'm sure getting the wrath of KO for not working hard enough at times, therefore leaving because they need greener pastures. Or maybe Vance Jackson who'd dad did everything but call KO a mumu and probably scared off almost all major coaches with his rants on public media about KO and also how he his kid needs to be used. And MAL - 4 guards who may be in front of him could make that decision easier but no, you guys instead come out here and throw Vital under the bus right? "Yeah sure like he's going to be scared off by Christian Vital hahaha" - nicely done kid worked his tail off for your team and now he's not good enough to make another kid think about the situation? A lot of you suck.

Here's my take after reading an article last week about our newest 5th year grad transfer from Cornell, he was told about the family atmosphere, the coach and how hard he works you and yet how much he has your back, makes the team hungry. He was impressed with the kids coming together for the university and the coach, working real hard to make up for what he saw as a very lackluster year and his buddy told him this was the perfect fit. Yeah Shonn Miller who many of you really liked, an intelligent hard working kid who came here to win and while many of you see that year as underachieving he was still proud of the year he played for KO at UConn. Proud enough to point David in our direction, supposedly a direction to his friend to go play for a coach who sucks, players don't like any more and doesn't show any love? LOL..I will go with David and Shonn Miller, 2 Cornell graduates who elected to play for KO because of his passion and quit reading the crap you bandwagoners toss around. Guessing these 2 know a little more than you dopes!

Last edited:

pj

Reaction Score
Here's my take after reading an article last week about our newest 5th year grad transfer from Cornell, he was told about the family atmosphere, the coach and how hard he works you and yet how much he has your back, makes the team hungry. He was impressed with the kids coming together for the university and the coach, working real hard to make up for what he saw as a very lackluster year and his buddy told him this was the perfect fit. Yeah Shonn Miller who many of you really liked, an intelligent hard working kid who came here to win and while many of you see that year as underachieving he was still proud of the year he played for KO at UConn. Proud enough to point David in our direction, supposedly a direction to his friend to go play for a coach who sucks, players don't like any more and doesn't show any love? LOL..I will go with David and Shonn Miller, 2 Cornell graduates who elected to play for KO because of his passion and quit reading the crap you bandwagoners toss around. Guessing these 2 know a little more than you dopes!

Yes, the Shonn Miller endorsement tells us that anything that went wrong was largely confined to one year. I think before that KO was still finding his way as a coach, learning what he needed in a staff and in players, and not having everybody meshed hindered performance a bit; but he always got the team playing its best in March, so he was able to bring them together somewhat. Last year obviously things went south, and not just due to injuries. It seems that differences between KO and staff (Miller) and KO and players (Durham, Enoch) kind of blew up. KO now has "his" staff and "his" players and hopefully he's learned something about how to meld a team a little faster. Having a clear style of play and working on it consistently will help. I think Chillious has really helped focus the recruiting on the types of guys KO needs to succeed.

Several posters hint that KO's personal life since the divorce has been used against him in negative recruiting and has led to some of the resistance from recruits' parents. Whatever -- if he dedicates himself to his players' success and maintains Christian faith and behavior, people will soon forgive him for a few bad years in the aftermath of a divorce.

I see this experience as largely the growing pains of a first-time head coach. I think he'll continue to grow and become an outstanding head coach.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
We have a whole new season ahead of us. A little patience with the team and staff as they get things together is in order. Thanks
to all the diehard BY'ers who have resisted the urge to dwell and speculate on the negative. I think we have some Hungry Huskies that fit that character profile. New coaches who are focused and locked in. It's summertime; heading into Autumn. Look for the good..........you'll find it. If you look for the bad.........you'll find it. Your choice.

Wordbomar

"Walker on McGee with four.."
Reaction Score
We have a whole new season ahead of us. A little patience with the team and staff as they get things together is in order. Thanks
to all the diehard BY'ers who have resisted the urge to dwell and speculate on the negative. I think we have some Hungry Huskies that fit that character profile. New coaches who are focused and locked in. It's summertime; heading into Autumn. Look for the good.....you'll find it. If you look for the bad....you'll find it. Your choice.

Let's get back to the dance!

C

Chief00

Wait, you're claiming Calhoun was teaching the team Xs and Os in 2014?

That's what you're saying?

From your post it's clear you need to go back and get some facts (LOL). Calhoun is a master motivator, strategists and program management guru. Jim would give KO invaluable feedback after observing the games and practices. I said I was done reliving last season but I can assure you that certain things that happpened absolutely would not have happened if Calhoun and KO's relationship hadn't gone south. Jim had a way of making players tougher but yet having the love that meant at the end of the day he had their backs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Yes, the Shonn Miller endorsement tells us that anything that went wrong was largely confined to one year. I think before that KO was still finding his way as a coach, learning what he needed in a staff and in players, and not having everybody meshed hindered performance a bit; but he always got the team playing its best in March, so he was able to bring them together somewhat. Last year obviously things went south, and not just due to injuries. It seems that differences between KO and staff (Miller) and KO and players (Durham, Enoch) kind of blew up. KO now has "his" staff and "his" players and hopefully he's learned something about how to meld a team a little faster. Having a clear style of play and working on it consistently will help. I think Chillious has really helped focus the recruiting on the types of guys KO needs to succeed.

Several posters hint that KO's personal life since the divorce has been used against him in negative recruiting and has led to some of the resistance from recruits' parents. Whatever -- if he dedicates himself to his players' success and maintains Christian faith and behavior, people will soon forgive him for a few bad years in the aftermath of a divorce.

I see this experience as largely the growing pains of a first-time head coach. I think he'll continue to grow and become an outstanding head coach.
So wait......the last three years are due to his growing pains as a coach? The same coach who won the tournament because of his tactics and player development in year 2? Wow. naybe you are right.....let's hold the boneyard responsible. Not the staff. They have no accountability for the current state of the program. It's us. It's negative recruiting. It's the conference. It's everything but them.

Reaction Score
So wait.the last three years are due to his growing pains as a coach? The same coach who won the tournament because of his tactics and player development in year 2? Wow. naybe you are right.....let's hold the boneyard responsible. Not the staff. They have no accountability for the current state of the program. It's us. It's negative recruiting. It's the conference. It's everything but them.

Again no one has ever said it's not on KO or the staff. It's how much you perceive it to be in compared to injuries, aac etc etc.. He and the staff have to be better, the players need to be better and healthier and they need to win period. Think they can and I think they will answer the bell. That's all I got.

Banta55

Hoops since 86"
Reaction Score
From your post it's clear you need to go back and get some facts (LOL). Calhoun is a master motivator, strategists and program management guru. Jim would give KO invaluable feedback after observing the games and practices. I said I was done reliving last season but I can assure you that certain things that happpened absolutely would not have happened if Calhoun and KO's relationship hadn't gone south. Jim had a way of making players tougher but yet having the love that meant at the end of the day he had their backs.

Reaction Score
The things we read here are sometimes insightful, sometimes just hilarious and ridiculous rolled in one (magic you're the leader of this brigade and the King of worthless broken record BS) and some just being as optimistic as possible during trying times. We've all heard KO did "something" to change his ways and make it tough to recruit. I guess based on some things that have happened there has to be some truth to this, but how much, I doubt it's all about KO.

KO and also how he his kid needs to be used. And MAL - 4 guards who may be in front of him could make that decision easier but no, you guys instead come out here and throw Vital under the bus right? "Yeah sure like he's going to be scared off by Christian Vital hahaha" - nicely done kid worked his tail off for your team and now he's not good enough to make another kid think about the situation? A lot of you suck.

Mau I'm the biggest advocate of Christian Vital on the yard so that's not true at all. I want Vital starting over Alterique because I trust his effect on the team and how he fits with Jalen.

PS: Although we disagree on most things UCONN, you remain my favorite of the Ollie apologists and Pollyannas. I'd really like to see a great season this year so we can put these conversations to rest.

Reaction Score

I'm convinced you don't know anyone in the program.

Calhoun is on board with KO.

We're also discussing Xs and Os right now. Calhoun was apparently making the gameplans and teaching the players, according to you.

pj

Reaction Score
So wait.the last three years are due to his growing pains as a coach? The same coach who won the tournament because of his tactics and player development in year 2? Wow. naybe you are right.....let's hold the boneyard responsible. Not the staff. They have no accountability for the current state of the program. It's us. It's negative recruiting. It's the conference. It's everything but them.

I guess you couldn't notice that I was meeting you halfway, because the only thing that matters to you is the conclusion -- that I think KO will become an outstanding coach.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I cannot wait for the season to begin so we can either put this nonsense to rest or confirm that we are in trouble. All I see, in every thread, is absurd speculation. Ollie is great itwas just a blip! It was all injuries! Ollie is terrible and must be fired! He was never good, it was all JC! The odds of either of those views being accurate is close to zero. So I will wait, watch and draw conclusions based on the evidence.

What I will look for.
  1. Is the team prepared at the start? They weren't last year. Looked like they rolled out bed and thought they'd win by showing up.
  2. Is the offense doing anything? Is there any off the ball movement? Is there productive ball movement, not just lazy passes around the perimeter? Are any of the guards standing still and dribbling?
  3. Are they playing UConn defense? Contesting passes and disrupting the offense? Or are they reacting to the offense and getting pulled out of position repeatedly. Do they help and recover quickly?
  4. Does Ollie look interested and engaged? Does he look like there's no place he'd rather be or like he'd rather be anywhere else?

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
you guys instead come out here and throw Vital under the bus right? "Yeah sure like he's going to be scared off by Christian Vital hahaha" - nicely done kid worked his tail off for your team and now he's not good enough to make another kid think about the situation? A lot of you suck.

You probably could have gone with just this paragraph. Too funny.

I might have just gone for the bold bit myself.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I for one think J.C. will be back on the sidelines at Uconn

Not sure if you're being facetious. Hard to tell on here. But there's a 100% zero chance this happens. Nor do I think it would be good for Jim or the Program in general.

Reaction Score
I'm convinced you don't know anyone in the program.

Calhoun is on board with KO.

We're also discussing Xs and Os right now. Calhoun was apparently making the gameplans and teaching the players, according to you.
Calhoun is on board with KO. Right.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom