Simi Shittu Update | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Simi Shittu Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We are probably in a solid spot with Nolley and Carrigan too. Definitely a painful offseason, but a good season where we are ranked is really what matters.

Recruits free up in the spring, there's always good grad transfers, but none of that matters if UConn is bad again this year. Even if we got great recruits, they could head for the hills if Ollie has another poor showing.

If the season isn't a total disaster, KO will have at least through May to see if he can lure a promising 2018 recruiting class.

Thad Matta was canned in early June, and poor recruiting was cited as a primary factor. It's not difficult to envision a similar scenario here.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I am not going to puke on a tugboat or feed a bald eagle...

I am going to fight a MF'ing polar bear.

funny-polar-bear_98945-1920x1200.jpg

Geesh, I just finished eating fans from 250 other programs.
Sigh.... Okay, bring it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If only. If we were a football school we wouldn't be in this predicament with ALL UConn athletics.

I for one believe we will see some marked improvement with RE 2.0 at the helm over the next couple years. There is a palpable feeling of positivity surrounding the football program since he took over.

Reaction Score
If the season isn't a total disaster, KO will have at least through May to see if he can lure a promising 2018 recruiting class.

Thad Matta was canned in early June, and poor recruiting was cited as a primary factor. It's not difficult to envision a similar scenario here.

The Matta situation was unique and probably won't set much of a precedent going forward. It's not optimal to part with your coach in June for a number of reasons. Ohio State was still able to pry away a hot name, but UConn might not be a situation where they have that luxury.

Depending on how you define "non disaster," it's hard to see them moving on next off-season.

Reaction Score
The #1 factor in all of this. So easy to recruit against him.

Serious question: is there speculation outside of this board that he is on the hot seat? Because I get the sense that this might be one of those scenarios where people outside our small circle perceive his job to be much safer than we do.

It's also worth noting - and you've brought this up in the past - that the coaching community will be incredulous when and if Ollie is let go. If you think coaches have become indignant before about this sort of thing, just wait until a non P5 program wants to get rid of a title winning coach in his 40's four or five years removed from a championship. Right or wrong, that's something that has to factor into the decision. If Ollie is canned you're creating the perception that UConn is a place with unreasonable expectations and a short fuse.

Reaction Score
On the other hand, if Ollie is retained to preside over mediocrity, you're creating the perception that UConn is a second-rate program that doesn't take pride in itself.

You're creating that perception amongst opposing fans, maybe, but their opinion doesn't matter.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
On the other hand, if Ollie is retained to preside over mediocrity, you're creating the perception that UConn is a second-rate program that doesn't take pride in itself.

And when Ollie's replacement gets fired after 3 years when he can't clean up the mess and the fan base loses patience, no coach worth his salt will touch the program with a ten-foot pole. I don't think you comprehend champs's point that potential coaches views the program through a very different pair of eyes than you do.

Reaction Score
And when Ollie's replacement gets fired after 3 years when he can't clean up the mess and the fan base loses patience, no coach worth his salt will touch the program with a ten-foot pole.
Pikiell would come running.

Reaction Score
You're creating that perception amongst opposing fans, maybe, but their opinion doesn't matter.

It's not just the fans it's also opposing coaches. Just go listen back to when Kelvin Sampson beat us this year and stated "good coaching that's what UCONN had"
Good coaches like Greg Marshall don't lose to Tulsa yearly and don't make it mission impossible to finish above 6th in the AAC.

If we have a great year this year then this conversation can be put to rest,and I'd love for this to happen but Ollies seat is hotter than you think and it's not just the opinion of fans.

Reaction Score
Serious question: is there speculation outside of this board that he is on the hot seat? Because I get the sense that this might be one of those scenarios where people outside our small circle perceive his job to be much safer than we do.

It's also worth noting - and you've brought this up in the past - that the coaching community will be incredulous when and if Ollie is let go. If you think coaches have become indignant before about this sort of thing, just wait until a non P5 program wants to get rid of a title winning coach in his 40's four or five years removed from a championship. Right or wrong, that's something that has to factor into the decision. If Ollie is canned you're creating the perception that UConn is a place with unreasonable expectations and a short fuse.

The Reddit college basketball board is not full of informative content so take it fwiw but it seems like the majority of people do not have KO in high esteem and wouldn't surprised to see him canned. Did you still post on the general board on TOS? Any feel for their pulse?

Reaction Score
People just bash KO because he hasn't had long term positive results. You can't say that he'll turn things around because he's never really had to. However, he had a more challenging start than people give him credit for and he handles amazingly well. The big question is, does KO have the chops or was Shabazz just that good?

Reaction Score
I don't think the program would be as screwed post KO as many seem to think. The brand and facilities are strong enough to at least keep recruiting as high or higher than SMU or Cinci and a solid coach should have the team in the top 25 mix every year. This may not be enough for some and our dwindling fanbase will shed more members but I have a very hard time seeing the program falling off the map. In my view, the opportunity to return to the glory days seems to be diminishing and I do agree that our best chance to regain status is if KO gets it together.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I don't think the program would be as screwed post KO as many seem to think. The brand and facilities are strong enough to at least keep recruiting as high or higher than SMU or Cinci and a solid coach should have the team in the top 25 mix every year. This may not be enough for some and our dwindling fanbase will shed more members but I have a very hard time seeing the program falling off the map. In my view, the opportunity to return to the glory days seems to be diminishing and I do agree that our best chance to regain status is if KO gets it together.

If 2018 goes poorly enough on-court and recruiting wise that KO is let go, how long do you think it would take a hypothetical replacement to turn the program around (especially given the likelihood of Adams and Larrier going pro rather than take their chances under a new HC) ? Both that length of time and the lower ceiling you mention will certainly scare quite a few people away.

Additionally, I think that we within the fanbase are far quicker to divorce KO from the "brand" than the rest of the population at large (probably because we're freaked out about how much the past few years actually affects our long-term image and would prefer to live in a world where we can easily get "back to normal" once he's out). I don't think cutting ties -- which may end up being necessary regardless -- is going to a) automatically get rid of all of the bad juju surrounding the program, or b) make it easy on another coach who's trying to reverse the narrative.

pj

Reaction Score
Dave Benedict has to have his pulse on things and make a judgment: is KO developing as a coach and repairing his weaknesses with the support of a complementary staff, or is he failing to progress because of some irremediable failing. If KO is developing, he's shown enough strengths that you have to give him more time, even if some of the struggles continue a bit longer.

Reaction Score
If we can make a nice run this year the recruiting should turn in our favor. We have to remind these kids that Uconn is the place to be. Theres nothing a coach can say to convey that to a kid but showing it out on the court can make it loud and clear. I think KO is on the clock if we have another bad season and another bad off season. I think we rise like the phoenix out of the ashes that have been the last couple years.

Reaction Score
The Reddit college basketball board is not full of informative content so take it fwiw but it seems like the majority of people do not have KO in high esteem and wouldn't surprised to see him canned. Did you still post on the general board on TOS? Any feel for their pulse?

I still post on the national board now and again but have never posted on the UConn board. You probably know as much as me.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
If uconn has a solid season then wins a game or 2 in the NCAA tourney and the off the court drama stays hidden or non-existent... we will be more than fine. Winning cures all.

Reaction Score
Of course it isn't. KO's later "issues" do not detract from his performance in '13-14. Next question.

I guess he'd question JC whether he had the chops or was Kemba that good in '11 huh?

Reaction Score
I guess he'd question JC whether he had the chops or was Kemba that good in '11 huh?

That's was the point of my post. We don't have a long body of work from KO that allows us to say,"no problem, he'll figure this out like he always does".

With JC, a horrible season now and then was an accepted part of the process. You knew he'd come back from it because you'd seen him do it repeatedly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom