Sierra Calhoun eliminates Tennessee (merged thread) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Sierra Calhoun eliminates Tennessee (merged thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I'm not sure that it's relevant, but Duke has an excellent medical school and hospital, with some world-class programs. That being said, we should note that Leigh Ann Curl went to medical school at Johns Hopkins after studying and playing basketball at UConn in the pre-Geno days.

I didn't know that Sierra had UTenn on her list. All I was aware of was her final 3. UConn makes so much sense to me that I worry because she hasn't decided yet.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
What I think is irrelevant is a Boneyarder's opine on what a recruit should think is relevant.

Don't they get to decide that?

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
I can handle the hot seat as I express my opinions as I see them and have some knowledge that is not commonly known. As far as I'm aware there is nothing in writing about Sierra's willingness to verbal to UConn early in her High School year. Geno's reluctance to accept Taya's verbal has been in print and I'm sure some that doubt what I say can research the web to find it. I'm unwilling to do it at this time.

I happen to believe since Niele Ivey became an assistant coach at ND that they are the second best Women's BB program. They've picked up their recruiting and along with UConn are the best offensive teams in WBB. Their three consecutive Final Fours are no accident and it wouldn't surprise me to see them back at the Final Four again this year even with the loss of Skylar. They missed out on a Championship they should have won when they loss to Texas A&M after beating UConn. Any team that can beat UConn 7 out of 8 times IMHO deserves to be rated as the 2nd best WBB program. I can accept that some would have Stanford or even Duke rated above them. Notre Dame is not going away as long as Muffett and Niele Ivey are coaching at ND and that is why I currently have them rated above Stanford and Duke.

Reaction Score
Don't have good feelings about Sierra and UConn. Wouldn't surprise me to see her end up at the 2nd best Women's program which is Notre Dame. I see a similar situation that there was with Taya Reimer who wanted to verbal to UConn and Geno didn't accept it and she ends up at Notre Dame. Sierra was ready to verbal to UConn a year or so ago and Geno didn't accept it. Could history repeat itself, I hope not. Fishy and others have said don't worry Sierra will end up at UConn, I'm not sure. Both Sierra and the Coaching staff may believe that UConn is not the ideal fit for this extremely talented player. I am happy that Sierra has eliminated the Lady Vols.

Why would Geno not accept verbals?

Reaction Score
Am I missing something here? Discussing the rankings of Duke's and UConn's medical and law schools is relevant how? Sierra, will play college ball for 4 years and then probably professional ball in the USA and abroad for another 12 years. Therefore, 16 years from now if Sierra decides to have a career in law or medicine she may be looking at which university has a good law school or medical school. So, how is the rankings of Duke's and UConn's law and medical school relevant to Sierra's decision as to where she should play basketball during her undergraduate years?

Actually it is very relevant because of Duke's CAPE Program:

"Coaches are aware of CAPE's drawing power for female athletes. "It's an amazing recruiting tool, because if you're premed and you're already looking at Duke, you have good grades, time-management skills, and you're a good athlete," Friedman says. "But Duke is the only place that has a program like this." He and Kruger are often asked to meet with top athletes during their recruiting visits. One such recruit was Kimberly Imbesi, now a Duke junior and the starting goalie on the women's lacrosse team. As a high-school All-American out of Bridgetown, New Jersey, Imbesi narrowed her college choices to Georgetown and Duke, both powerhouses in women's lacrosse."

http://www.dukemagazine.duke.edu/issues/050608/depspt.html

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I can handle the hot seat as I express my opinions as I see them and have some knowledge that is not commonly known. As far as I'm aware there is nothing in writing about Sierra's willingness to verbal to UConn early in her High School year. Geno's reluctance to accept Taya's verbal has been in print and I'm sure some that doubt what I say can research the web to find it. I'm unwilling to do it at this time.

I happen to believe since Niele Ivey became an assistant coach at ND that they are the second best Women's BB program. They've picked up their recruiting and along with UConn are the best offensive teams in WBB. Their three consecutive Final Fours are no accident and it wouldn't surprise me to see them back at the Final Four again this year even with the loss of Skylar. They missed out on a Championship they should have won when they loss to Texas A&M after beating UConn. Any team that can beat UConn 7 out of 8 times IMHO deserves to be rated as the 2nd best WBB program. I can accept that some would have Stanford or even Duke rated above them. Notre Dame is not going away as long as Muffett and Niele Ivey are coaching at ND and that is why I currently have them rated above Stanford and Duke.

Oh please, you know people? You things that the most informed fan base doesn't?

You have presented the Reimer situation as fact SIX times in the last year without a link. YOU look it up. I'm calling BS until then.

That goes double BS on your Calhoun statement as well.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
Why would Geno not accept verbals?

I don't think that it's Geno won't accept verbals - it's that he doesn't like to accept them too early, like from freshmen and sophomores. Somebody on the 'Yard can quote the exact situation, I suspect, but I believe some years back a sophomore made a verbal .. and, Geno took it at face value, and adjusted his recruiting accordingly...and, then once the prospective had another year of maturity or so under their belt, decided that her decision was premature. In short, I don't think Geno believes that verbals ought to be given too early - it is too often not a good decision, or at least a really well-thought-out one. He'd rather the prospect take a bit more time, so, when they give a verbal, he and she both feel that it's been given a proper consideration.

Reaction Score
Don't have good feelings about Sierra and UConn. Wouldn't surprise me to see her end up at the 2nd best Women's program which is Notre Dame. I see a similar situation that there was with Taya Reimer who wanted to verbal to UConn and Geno didn't accept it and she ends up at Notre Dame. Sierra was ready to verbal to UConn a year or so ago and Geno didn't accept it. Could history repeat itself, I hope not. Fishy and others have said don't worry Sierra will end up at UConn, I'm not sure. Both Sierra and the Coaching staff may believe that UConn is not the ideal fit for this extremely talented player. I am happy that Sierra has eliminated the Lady Vols.
You don't have a good feeling about any recruits, any games or any seasons.

If your feelings came to fruition, UConn would have 0 national championships.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score

I think there is no question N Dame has been more dominant than Stanford and Duke and Tenn since the Skylar years. They look like a mirror image of us for the last 3-4 yrs. Actually, they were more experienced and much deeper than us Maya's senior yr and the yr after.i think they were slightly better than us- but this year we were a better team- and finally won the big game after those earlier games!!!!

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I think there is no question N Dame has been more dominant than Stanford and Duke and Tenn since the Skylar years. They look like a mirror image of us for the last 3-4 yrs. Actually, they were more experienced and much deeper than us Maya's senior yr and the yr after.i think they were slightly better than us- but this year we were a better team- and finally won the big game after those earlier games!!!!
Tennessee hasn't really been a blip on the radar for the past 4-5 years. There are at least 10 teams who have been better than Tenn over the past 5 years. Heck, going out in the 1st round of the NCAA's to Ball State indicates there were at least 32 teams better than them (more or less) that season.

UCONN, Baylor, Notre Dame, Duke, Stanford, aTm, Maryland, Louisville, Kentucky, Cal, Penn State, and maybe a few others... In fact, that's probably the order of the top 10 or so programs over the past 5 years.

Reaction Score
Tennessee hasn't really been a blip on the radar for the past 4-5 years. There are at least 10 teams who have been better than Tenn over the past 5 years. Heck, going out in the 1st round of the NCAA's to Ball State indicates there were at least 32 teams better than them (more or less) that season.

UCONN, Baylor, Notre Dame, Duke, Stanford, aTm, Maryland, Louisville, Kentucky, Cal, Penn State, and maybe a few others... In fact, that's probably the order of the top 10 or so programs over the past 5 years.

Other than the ball st year, Tenn has been a 1 or 2 seed. Definitely would have them ahead of penn st, cal.

Reaction Score
Not truly relevant when discussing undergrad.

That said, Duke (8) and ND (17) both rank higher than UConn (63) in the most recent US News and World Report undergrad college rankings, FWIW.

The above is rather telling. The information shows:

1- an important area where improvement is needed; and
2- a factor to be reckoned with in conference affiliation lamentation.

To put it plainly and positively, UCONN is working on improving its academic standing and is having success in doing so. It ranks higher now than it did in the past. It has a good chance of reaching the top 30 within <5 years.

For an elite recruit, like Sierra Calhoun, basketball is obviously important to her. That is her defining skill as a teenager. Athletic skills generally, and bb skills specifically, diminish as a person ages. Skills beyond athletic skills need to be developed in order to increase one's social utility beyond basketball.

The difference between the rankings are probably rather trivial in terms of what a student actually learns. UCONN has, I believe , close to a 100% graduation rate for its wbb players.

Perhaps it would be good to research life outcomes for former players as a way of demonstrating the value of a UCONN degree and as a way of countering the USNews ranking disparity.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
The above is rather telling. The information shows:

1- an important area where improvement is needed; and
2- a factor to be reckoned with in conference affiliation lamentation.

To put it plainly and positively, UCONN is working on improving its academic standing and is having success in doing so. It ranks higher now than it did in the past. It has a good chance of reaching the top 30 within <5 years.

For an elite recruit, like Sierra Calhoun, basketball is obviously important to her. That is her defining skill as a teenager. Athletic skills generally, and bb skills specifically, diminish as a person ages. Skills beyond athletic skills need to be developed in order to increase one's social utility beyond basketball.

The difference between the rankings are probably rather trivial in terms of what a student actually learns. UCONN has, I believe , close to a 100% graduation rate for its wbb players.

Perhaps it would be good to research life outcomes for former players as a way of demonstrating the value of a UCONN degree and as a way of countering the USNews ranking disparity.

"Athletic skills generally, and bb skills specifically, diminish as a person ages"

Hold the presses!!!

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score

Gee, I wonder if Geno has thought of this when he recruits players and trys to sell them on coming to UConn. Using former players success as a recruiting tool. I sure hope Geno sees this.

JS

Reaction Score
Yes, UConn has been rising steadily on the overall list that includes the likes of Duke and ND.

However, I prefer to compare UConn's academic standing with that of its peers among public universities, not with the picky-choosy, highly endowed per student, smaller class private schools.

Among the public national universities, UConn is already highly ranked at #21. Basketball-wise, of the public universities that finished in the top 25 last season, only Cal, UCLA and (by a skootch) Maryland outranked UConn academically.

Reaction Score
"Athletic skills generally, and bb skills specifically, diminish as a person ages"

Hold the presses!!!

No, let the presses run, Ozzie. You are badly missing the point and what was posted was not obvious by any means.

Let me put this a little more plainly, so that it can be more readily understood by all.

Elite athletes, even as adults, let alone as teenagers, have a heck of a lot of difficulty in grasping the temporary nature of their athletic gifts.

Making plans for post athletic life does not come easy. As you may know the vast majority of retired professional bb players are broke, busted and bankrupt within 5 years after retirement, no matter how much money they may have made.

Reaction Score
Yes, UConn has been rising steadily on the overall list that includes the likes of Duke and ND.

However, I prefer to compare UConn's academic standing with that of its peers among public universities, not with the picky-choosy, highly endowed per student, smaller class private schools.

Among the public national universities, UConn is already highly ranked at #21. Basketball-wise, of the public universities that finished in the top 25 last season, only Cal, UCLA and (by a skootch) Maryland outranked UConn academically.

Quite true, JS. The problem with your analysis, as I see it, is not that it demonstrates a comparative advantage for UCONN, but rather, it says, if read closely, that a kid who has received an offer from one-a-them "picky-choosy, highly endowed per student, smaller class private schools" would be wise to accept it.

That is what I would advise my granddaughters to do.

Just sayin'

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
No, let the presses run, Ozzie. You are badly missing the point and what was posted was not onvious by any means.

Let me put this a little more plainly, so that it can be more readily understood by all.

Elite athletes, even as adults, let alone as teenagers, have a heck of a lot of difficulty in grasping the temporary nature of their athletic gifts.

Making plans for post athletic life does not come easy. As you may know the vast majority of retired professional bb players are broke, busted and bankrupt within 5 years after retirement, no matter how much money they may have made.

"Let me put this a little more plainly, so that it can be more readily understood by all. "

Thanks for the literary explanation needed to overcome my cognitive impairment. Unfortunately, this intellectual deficit does not, apparently, diminish with age…so please be patient with me, and any of the “all” here at The BoneYard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom