Sierra Calhoun eliminates Tennessee (merged thread) | The Boneyard

Sierra Calhoun eliminates Tennessee (merged thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HGN

Reaction Score
One rival down, 2 more to Go.....Sierra definitely is looking at 3 of the top programs in the country (UConn ; ND ; Duke). And she will do well at whichever one she chooses. Quality of education at all 3 are outstanding. With all other factors being equal , now she must decide which program offers her the greatest chance to win a National Championship during her 4 years of WCBB.

If she looks at which college program (of the last 3 on her list) has Won the most National Championships over the last 10 years ; and , which program has been to the most Final Fours over the last 10 years , which you have to get to in order to win that NC , the choice is clear........It should be UConn.

But there may be other factors involved that will impact her decision. Desired area of the country , friends , coaches , etc. I guess we just have to wait and see......But for my money she couldn't pick a better place to play than for the UConn Huskies.

Reaction Score
Thank you Nan, very interesting.

It's not easy to comment on a recruit's selection process. The decision is entirely hers and her family's to make, in that order.

The decision can be made on a subjective objective or combination basis. Flipping a coin as between the 3 that Sierra is considering might be as valid as making a long list of factors, analysis and weighing of them, followed by a calculus of comparative advantage.

That said, UCONN has the best WCBB program, the highest likelihood of final four experience and winning a NC during a playe's tenure, among the best in facilities, training staff and medical attention, in case of injury, with Brittney Hunter's experience with Duke serving as one example.

The educational quality slightly, but only slightly, favors Duke. Plus, in terms of graduate level academics, I do not believe Duke or ND have medical schools, UCONN does. I don't think Duke has a law school, UCONN and ND do have them.

UCONN is within the SMSA of New York, which is a plus. ND is in the Chicago SMSA and is therefore similar to UCONN. Duke is not in a mega SMSA area, but is in the most urbane part of NC.

One factor that is implied, but unknown to any except Sierra and her family is the importance to them of religion CTK is a catholic school. Did Sierra go there for that reason, or did she go there because it has a top notch girls BB program? I think one can tell where I'm going with this on the basis of the 3 Sierra is considering. Hopefully Storrs has a good parish and UCONN a vibrant catholic student club of some kind :) As Duke is in NC, there are likely an abundance of Baptist churches nearby, as there are throughout the south. Catholic churches, not so much.

As a fan of UCONN, I hope Sierra's calculus and/or subjective inclination will come down on UCONN and that is all I can say.

Reaction Score
Thank you Nan, very interesting.

It's not easy to comment on a recruit's selection process. The decision is entirely hers and her family's to make, in that order.

The decision can be made on a subjective objective or combination basis. Flipping a coin as between the 3 that Sierra is considering might be as valid as making a long list of factors, analysis and weighing of them, followed by a calculus of comparative advantage.

That said, UCONN has the best WCBB program, the highest likelihood of final four experience and winning a NC during a playe's tenure, among the best in facilities, training staff and medical attention, in case of injury, with Brittney Hunter's experience with Duke serving as one example.

The educational quality slightly, but only slightly, favors Duke. Plus, in terms of graduate level academics, I do not believe Duke or ND have medical schools, UCONN does. I don't think Duke has a law school, UCONN and ND do have them.

UCONN is within the SMSA of New York, which is a plus. ND is in the Chicago SMSA and is therefore similar to UCONN. Duke is not in a mega SMSA area, but is in the most urbane part of NC.

One factor that is implied, but unknown to any except Sierra and her family is the importance to them of religion CTK is a catholic school. Did Sierra go there for that reason, or did she go there because it has a top notch girls BB program? I think one can tell where I'm going with this on the basis of the 3 Sierra is considering. Hopefully Storrs has a good parish and UCONN a vibrant catholic student club of some kind :) As Duke is in NC, there are likely an abundance of Baptist churches nearby, as there are throughout the south. Catholic churches, not so much.

As a fan of UCONN, I hope Sierra's calculus and/or subjective inclination will come down on UCONN and that is all I can say.

Duke law school ranked number 11 in the nation: http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-law-schools/law-rankings

Duke med school ranked number 8 in the nation: http://grad-schools.usnews.rankings...schools/top-medical-schools/research-rankings

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Don't have good feelings about Sierra and UConn. Wouldn't surprise me to see her end up at the 2nd best Women's program which is Notre Dame. I see a similar situation that there was with Taya Reimer who wanted to verbal to UConn and Geno didn't accept it and she ends up at Notre Dame. Sierra was ready to verbal to UConn a year or so ago and Geno didn't accept it. Could history repeat itself, I hope not. Fishy and others have said don't worry Sierra will end up at UConn, I'm not sure. Both Sierra and the Coaching staff may believe that UConn is not the ideal fit for this extremely talented player. I am happy that Sierra has eliminated the Lady Vols.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
A couple things jump out.

but Calhoun doesn’t want to let her brother’s choice determine her own decision as she shapes her future.
“I’m just looking to pick the best program for me,” Calhoun said. “He chose the best program for him.”

Very good outlook. I like that approach.

The 6-foot Calhoun prides herself as being a combo guard, who can also play the small forward if needed. She’s worked hard on improving herself as a point guard, though Elliott she will most likely be a shooting guard in college.

I could see where this may not make UCONN as attractive to her. I was always thinking she would be a 3. But if she is envisioning herself as a 2/1, I could see her taking a long look at UCONN. As a Freshmen she would be competing with Banks (Sr) 2, Jefferson (Jr) 1, Chong (So) 2/1, and coming in with Williams 2/1, Edwards 1/2, and Ekmark 2/3. She's a good one, so she can definitely compete for playing time

I think we would all love to have her here. And hopefully UCONN looks like the right choice for her. At least she is approaching it in a mature way.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
''I do not believe Duke or ND have medical schools, UCONN does. I don't think Duke has a law school, UCONN and ND do have them. "

This will be real news, indeed a scoop, to Duke University.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Don't have good feelings about Sierra and UConn. Wouldn't surprise me to see her end up at the 2nd best Women's program which is Notre Dame. I see a similar situation that there was with Taya Reimer who wanted to verbal to UConn and Geno didn't accept it and she ends up at Notre Dame. Sierra was ready to verbal to UConn a year or so ago and Geno didn't accept it. Could history repeat itself, I hope not. Fishy and others have said don't worry Sierra will end up at UConn, I'm not sure. Both Sierra and the Coaching staff may believe that UConn is not the ideal fit for this extremely talented player. I am happy that Sierra has eliminated the Lady Vols.

Can you please post the links where Calhoun and Reimer said they would have verballed to UConn if they offered at any time in the recruiting process? You have posted this about Reimer around a 1/2 dozen times in the last year. I haven't seen any proof.

And in Calhouns case, the way she is approaching her recruitment, I seriously doubt she was doing to verbal.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Am I missing something here? Discussing the rankings of Duke's and UConn's medical and law schools is relevant how? Sierra, will play college ball for 4 years and then probably professional ball in the USA and abroad for another 12 years. Therefore, 16 years from now if Sierra decides to have a career in law or medicine she may be looking at which university has a good law school or medical school. So, how is the rankings of Duke's and UConn's law and medical school relevant to Sierra's decision as to where she should play basketball during her undergraduate years?

Reaction Score
If it were me I would want to experience 3 or 4 all-expense-paid weekends at some of the best colleges in the country where I would be treated like royalty. Especially if I was sure a spot is reserved for me at all 3. Sierra's brother may have advised her to savor the recruiting process. From the schools she has left she really can't make a mistake. (unless she has winning a NC on her bucket list) ;)

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
dogs praying.jpg

Reaction Score
Am I missing something here? Discussing the rankings of Duke's and UConn's medical and law schools is relevant how? Sierra, will play college ball for 4 years and then probably professional ball in the USA and abroad for another 12 years. Therefore, 16 years from now if Sierra decides to have a career in law or medicine she may be looking at which university has a good law school or medical school. So, how is the rankings of Duke's and UConn's law and medical school relevant to Sierra's decision as to where she should play basketball during her undergraduate years?

My guess is that one of the above posts originally said that Duke had neither a law nor medical school. (Why this was relevant, I don't know.) The respondent was pointing out that it does in fact have them, and highly rated ones at that.

Reaction Score
Two wings say no to Tenn at about the same time and coincident to an "official" contact period. Logic would suggest that both were given information that soured them to the LV's. And that it was provided by someone that only now can talk to them. Speculative of course but it's July. ;)

Reaction Score
In an above post,it is mentioned,that Sierra might consider herself a 1 or a 2,when most reports have listed her as a possible 3.If you have the talent(which she has) and the desire to contribute and improve,you can play almost anywhere on the court.It has been Geno's decision to play up to four guard-type players at once,and it all boils down to who he thinks are the best players to put on the court in any given situation.Great examples of guard-type players who excel pretty much anywhere on the court are Faris and Lewis.I am sure there are many more examples throughout team history.She has the talent to excel in this system no matter where on the court she is asked to play.It shouldn't really be a drawback how many guard-type players are on the team,but of course,she makes the decision if she is most comfortable being a UConn girl.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score

Would be very relevant if she wants it to be(see Eliz Williams at Duke).

IAC, most of the comments were in reaction to Plotzies lack of post grad knowledge re: Law and Medicine.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Would be very relevant if she wants it to be(see Eliz Williams at Duke).

IAC, most of the comments were in reaction to Plotzies lack of post grad knowledge re: Law and Medicine.

Plotzie....

Reaction Score
Not truly relevant when discussing undergrad.

That said, Duke (8) and ND (17) both rank higher than UConn (63) in the most recent US News and World Report undergrad college rankings, FWIW.

The important element of your post is the FWIW part. The gyrations schools go through to enhance their law school's US News rating borders on fraud. The goal is not to educate the student to function better as a lawyer, it's to raise their US News rating.

For instance, part of the rating is determined by the number of graduates who get jobs. Schools have been known to hire grads who haven't found jobs. They are given short term positions to boost that percentage, and are then let go. Then there's the case of increasing grades across the board by 33% to make the grad more appealing to prospective employers over those whose grades haven't been enhanced. All kinds of little tricks that don't necessarily make a school better than another, but so many people consider the US News rating the holy grail, schools must pay attention to it.

Reaction Score

Where to even start with this? Notre Dame is the second best Women's Program? If you want to talk about what they have done in the past couple of years I would rank Stanford over Notre Dame for success. Notre Dame went to four Final Fours in a row. No national titles. Stanford went to five straight Final Fours. Both programs if I am not mistaken went to the final game twice and lost to the eventual champs. That is if you want to focus on overall success in the past decade. Other than UCONN and Tennessee winning national titles, the only other school to win two or more in the past ten years is Baylor, so Baylor should probably be ahead of Notre Dame as well.

I'd love to see your information on Reimer and Calhoun who both according to you wanted to verbal but Geno told them no. That really does shock me, especially since if memory serves me correctly Reimer is going into her freshman year and would have been Chongs classmate. Please enlighten me with these personal insights that the rest of us do not know about.

Also could you explain how UCONN coaching staff and Sierra may believe this is not the ideal fit for the extremely talented player.......????????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom