Sid | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Sid

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Sid is not going anywhere! He wants to play in the Big East and MSG in front of his fam!
Makes sense, but is there any source for this, other than common sense?

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Sid is a highlight reel player. He needs to become a grinder. Physically stronger, mentally more aware of time and situation. His foul trouble is self made and the turnovers are bad. He doesn't keep a man in front of him and even worse, gets pushed out of position on rebounds. Hurley barely used him down the stretch and even said something to the affect that we only have 8 guys and he can't get much time. Bottom line, DH doesn't trust Sid. Sid has lots of work to do to gain that trust AND get minutes ahead of the other guys.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Best case? I would buy that in a second. He will never approach Stanley I don't think maybe half would be ok off the bench. I wish we had a Stanley Robinson on the team.
I could see Andre Jackson mirroring Stanley’s production.

borninansonia

Neandertal
Reaction Score
Sid can jump out of the gym, but he's not a great athlete. Great athletes can do more than jump quickly, they are well coordinated, have great muscle memory, and many other attributes.

Look at Sabrina Ionescu of Oregon. She is not a great jumper, and not the quickest person on the floor, but she is always the best athlete.

Reaction Score
Sid can jump out of the gym, but he's not a great athlete. Great athletes can do more than jump quickly, they are well coordinated, have great muscle memory, and many other attributes.

Look at Sabrina Ionescu of Oregon. She is not a great jumper, and not the quickest person on the floor, but she is always the best athlete.
Well that’s very contradictory, I mean if she’s not the best jumper and not fast then she isn’t the best athlete. She might be the best basketball player on the court but that doesn’t make her the best athlete!

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Andre Jackson, from all that I've heard, is more skilled.

That said, Sticks was an elite above-the-rim athlete and it would be hard for anyone to match that.
Stanley was pretty skilled too...let’s not forget he was a career 35% 3-pt shooter and was a great defender.

Reaction Score
Robinson's career average at Uconn was 10/6. Half that is 5/3. If Sid cant even average 5 points and 3 rebounds his next two years then that's a giant waste of talent.

If Sid stays and averages 5/3 he will help relative to the minutes he will play. Stanley’s 14.5 and 7.6 his senior year is something Sid couldn’t approach. But again if he can accept being a piece then fine with those numbers above.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score

Sabrina is not even the best athlete on her team. She is the best motor. heart. and IQ.

Reaction Score
If Sid stays and averages 5/3 he will help relative to the minutes he will play. Stanley’s 14.5 and 7.6 his senior year is something Sid couldn’t approach. But again if he can accept being a piece then fine with those numbers above.
You pretty much said what I was thinking. Don't compare Sticks' 5 and 3 over his career to what Sid's upside is. Sid has already played 2 years. Those are over. Look at what Sticks did his junior and senior year and hope Sid can be that. I'd kill for Sid to be a guy like junior and senior year Sticks (without taking off a semester!) the next 2 years. Sticks was also much bigger than Sid.

Reaction Score
Ok...I've been sitting on this for a while because I don't want to make a big deal about it, but its kind of funny:

Sid had his pet dog living on campus this year. Everyone knew but Hurley. Hurley found out towards the end of the season and was not happy. The dog had to be removed from campus.
7D564DAC-ED85-4F85-A754-06FB03DD35A5.gif

Reaction Score
He reminds me of Helicopter Harry (Herman Rowlings). Probably the greatest street ball player in the history of NYC ball. He was called Helicopter because of his ability to hang in the air. Once in a Rucker game he blocked the shots of 3 NBA players in one offensive set. Bernard King said the he once saw 6'5" 'Harry' take a quarter of the top of a backboard. He is still a legendary player. A street ball legend, not a college legend and not a NBA legend.

The 30 Greatest Basketball Players to Never Play in the NBA

The man is nicknamed "Helicopter" with good reason; Herman Knowings had bounce that could seemingly take him to the stratosphere. Knowings, who was 6'7" with a long wingspan, was a Rucker Park standout in the 1960s and '70s. His career remains New York streetball legend. Knowings was revered by NBA legends such as Hall of Famer Bernard King, who once said, "When I was in ninth grade, I saw the Helicopter, with my own two eyes, pick a quarter off the top of the backboard to win a bet, and I was in complete shock." He also garnered the respect of Wilt Chamberlain, who said Knowings' vertical "was absolutely awesome." Knowings died in a car accident in 1980 at 37 years old.

Reaction Score
You pretty much said what I was thinking. Don't compare Sticks' 5 and 3 over his career to what Sid's upside is. Sid has already played 2 years. Those are over. Look at what Sticks did his junior and senior year and hope Sid can be that. I'd kill for Sid to be a guy like junior and senior year Sticks (without taking off a semester!) the next 2 years. Sticks was also much bigger than Sid.
Not happening. Cmon now. I’ll be happy if sid gives us 6 and 3 with 1 block.

Reaction Score
Not happening. Cmon now. I’ll be happy if sid gives us 6 and 3 with 1 block.
Exactly. I was disputing Letsgohuskies11's post above.

Last edited:

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
People forget Sid can grad transfer after next year, in today's climate he's probably not playing his senior year here.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
People forget Sid can grad transfer after next year, in today's climate he's probably not playing his senior year here.
If you're right. I would suggest that he transfer now. Take a year to work on fundamentals and two years to incorporate it into his game. I don't know that he can with take a year off with his history, but it would probably be worth it if he would work hard.

Reaction Score

She is not the best athlete at all. She has the best fundamentals, understanding of the game by far on that team heck maybe all of college. Everything she succeeds with is because of knowledge and outsmarting the opposition as well as her skill set. By no means the best athlete.

Sid is a great athlete but his fundamental skills drive any memory for him and it's short for now. Great athleticism by no means leads to being great or even good at anything in most any sport.

Reaction Score
In my opinion athletes combine speed, strength, lateral quickness, leaping ability, hand/foot eye coordination as well as energy.

In Sid's case he has excellent leaping ability, very good speed and good to very good lateral quickness. He rates poorly in strength and consistent energy (this is mostly seen on the defensive end) and his hand/foot eye coordination appears average. The package is further diminished because of intangibles like basketball intelligence and hard work which also appear average.

That's not to say the intangibles can't improve. Sometimes the light goes on and that's what we have to hope for Sid in the next couple of years.

Reaction Score

Coordination and muscle memory have nothing to do with athleticism, they are almost the opposite of athleticism.

Often great athletes lack both of those, but are still competitive due to their athleticism. Sid is a great example of this.

Reaction Score
If you're right. I would suggest that he transfer now. Take a year to work on fundamentals and two years to incorporate it into his game. I don't know that he can with take a year off with his history, but it would probably be worth it if he would work hard.

Sorry but your math doesn't work. He's already used 3 years to play 2. If he transfers now, barring a rule change, he would have to sit one and then only have one left to play.

Reaction Score
what do you mean he's used 3 years? the redshirt year doesnt count towards his eligibility so he's played 2 years and has 2 years remaining. Even if he transferred this summer and had to sit out again next year, why couldnt he play 2 more seasons at another school? one as a redshirt senior and then as a graduate?

Players get five years to play four. There are extenuating circumstances where guys have gotten a sixth year due to injury. Can’t see him moving on unless he’s assured of game time right away.

Reaction Score
what do you mean he's used 3 years? the redshirt year doesnt count towards his eligibility so he's played 2 years and has 2 years remaining, no?
No.

Of course it counts. He was enrolled and in school. Why wouldn't it count?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBall

Top Bottom