Sid | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Sid

Reaction Score
Hilton will be bummed. For the past 15 years every under achiever was going to be Hilton Armstrong. Sorry Hilton. From now on they are going to be the next Whaley. Or for the next 15 years until the next Whaley actually does come along. In the meantime Whaley can look forward to having lots of under achievers projected to be the next version of him.
hurley bad take pic.png

Reaction Score
Slow down a bit. Armstrong was a first round draft pick and played on very stacked teams against way better competition than Whaley has. Not to take anything away from Whaley but he has only thrown a few good games together and literally was the only option UConn had.
I wasn’t actually comparing Hilton and Whaley. I was making fun of the posters who compare every current player, no matter how mediocre to a former star. Every substandard benchwarmer is going to be the next Hilton and any guy who looks to be pretty good is the next Ray Allen. And they make this claim based on nothing. Not one thing.

Reaction Score
I think there are a lot of posters who never actually saw Ben, Ray, Emeka Rip Hamilton. When I read some posts comparing other guys to Ray Allen or Ben, you just know they are going by reputation alone. Bouknight has many miles to go before he belongs in the same sentence with those guys.
Have you watched a single UConn game since Calhoun retired?

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Anyone else like Sid as a sneaky good player next year? His shot significantly improved last year. He’s kind of on a similar trajectory as Whaley was. Coach challenges him in the media, that tells me that he sees something in him.

Reaction Score
Anyone else like Sid as a sneaky good player next year? His shot significantly improved last year. He’s kind of on a similar trajectory as Whaley was. Coach challenges him in the media, that tells me that he sees something in him.

Sid has a long, long way to go. His shot still isn't very good even if it did improve. 33% on 0.7 attempts. He literally didn't know our offensive sets multiple times this year. Half the yard knew our offensive sets for christs sake. For every highlight reel block, he totally blows a defensive rotation 3x.

I want him to be a contributor. And I want him to stay and get a degree. We could really use an electric, athletic 3/4. He could be a gamchanger. But I'm not holding my breath. He's had 3 years here.to show a wiff of improvement, and we've got nada.

I don't know if it's work ethic, his ability.to process the game spacially, or something else.

Andre Jackson is Sid with more hops, sensational passing, better handle, and less of a 3 pt shot. Those two are going to need to battle in practice for PT.

C

Chief00

Half of the impact plays Sid makes are chase-down blocks and putback dunks. If he could make routine plays consistently, he could really carve out a role next year with Akok's absence.
That’s what we are trying to learn him.

C

Chief00

Sid has a long, long way to go. His shot still isn't very good even if it did improve. 33% on 0.7 attempts. He literally didn't know our offensive sets multiple times this year. Half the yard knew our offensive sets for christs sake. For every highlight reel block, he totally blows a defensive rotation 3x.

I want him to be a contributor. And I want him to stay and get a degree. We could really use an electric, athletic 3/4. He could be a gamchanger. But I'm not holding my breath. He's had 3 years here.to show a wiff of improvement, and we've got nada.

I don't know if it's work ethic, his ability.to process the game spacially, or something else.

Andre Jackson is Sid with more hops, sensational passing, better handle, and less of a 3 pt shot. Those two are going to need to battle in practice for PT.
All fair comments. Tough to figure out where the lack of work ethic ends and inability to learn sets and be coached begins.
Having said that, Sid said he was going to change - let’s give him the benefit of the doubt unless he proves us otherwise. We will know soon enough.
#ChiefKeepingItReal

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score

All Andre Jackson needs to be a far superior player is to improve his outside shot.

All Sid Wilson needs is to improve his overall skill level, work ethic, and understanding of the game.

One of those is much easier than the other.

Reaction Score
Have you watched a single UConn game since Calhoun retired?
Yeah I have. The quality of play and the quality of players is substantially worse, particularly once the Calhoun holdovers left. There is some indication that things are improving with Hurley but can you honestly say anyone on last years team besides Bouknight and Vital would see much time on say the 2004 team?

Reaction Score
If people think Sid is one of the greatest athletes who has ever played here I can't wait to see what they'll say about Jackson.
And when he was sitting that year he was even better than the best!

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
#3 draft pick, NCAA champ. That'll take some serious better'n.
Don't forget the 11 year NBA career, with 40% career 3 pt. shooting, and 11000 points scored.

I believe Bouk's roof is closer to Rip or Ray than it is to Ben.

Loved watching Ben develop his junior year in to a straight up assassin taking over the team while Emeka was nursing a back and taking over ball handling last few minutes because he was a light's out FT shooter and Taliek was a mess at the line.

But Bouk can be better.

Reaction Score
Bouk's ceiling is so high, he will flat out take over games next season. One concern I have though is that he carries the ball all the time.

Reaction Score

Loved watching Ben develop his junior year in to a straight up assassin taking over the team while Emeka was nursing a back and taking over ball handling last few minutes because he was a light's out FT shooter and Taliek was a mess at the line.

But Bouk can be better.
Wow.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

But Bouk can be better.
Wow.

Bouk can be better, or worse. But mostly he's a totally different player. Defensively he's not in the ballpark of where Ben was in his final season at UConn. I think we too often focus on offense. Bouk is going to need to guard people like James Harden at the next level. Think he's ready for that? Me neither.

Bouk is taller, but Ben was much stronger. Bouk has tremendous instincts for the modern game. Ben was nearly unguardable in the prior isolation style offense. Bouk's skills run more towards a ball movement heavy offensive system. Ben was a stone cold assassin, who was a step ahead in knowing how to beat his man individually. To my eyes, Ben was better with the ball in his hands and Bouk is fantastic creating things away from the ball.

Think about the guys Ben played against, and succeeded.
"It was like a serial killer mentality. I was processing all your tendencies and your weaknesses, and I was thinking about slaughtering you. It was violent. It was over-the-top. But you have to understand, I was 6′ 1″. They were always trying to list me as 6′ 3″ my whole career, but dog, let me let you in on a secret: A was 6′ 1″. I’m out there with Kobe and Tony Allen guarding me. You know how tricky you gotta be to get a shot off against those dudes at 6′ 1″? You gotta be so laser focused. So methodical, so calculated, so obsessed. "

Reaction Score

But Bouk can be better.
I think people forget how good Ben Gordon was. In BGs first 5 years in the NBA, he averaged 18.5 PPG and 41.5% from 3. He was the number 3 overall pick and an NCAA champion. I love Bouk, it’s great to finally have a guy on the team that looks like an NBA talent, but man, if he can surpass BG, that’d be something. Not saying he can’t, but it’s asking a lot.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I think people forget how good Ben Gordon was. In BGs first 5 years in the NBA, he averaged 18.5 PPG and 41.5% from 3. He was the number 3 overall pick and an NCAA champion. I love Bouk, it’s great to finally have a guy on the team that looks like an NBA talent, but man, if he can surpass BG, that’d be something. Not saying he can’t, but it’s asking a lot.

But you would admit Ray and Rip had better careers than Ben did, correct?

Reaction Score
But you would admit Ray and Rip had better careers than Ben did, correct?
Obviously. Ray is a HOFer and Rip Was a multiple time all star who had a ten year run of averaging nearly 20 PPG. They’re two of the best players of all time from UConn. We can talk about ceiling all you want, but it’s highly unlikely Bouk gets to their level. And Ben was no slouch either... if Bouk can manage to be a top 3 pick, average nearly 19 PPG in his first five years in the league, awesome, I’d be ecstatic. I’m just sayin it’s really hard to do and unfair expectations on him.

C

Chief00

I believe Ben won a sixth man of the year award, as I recall.

Reaction Score
Bouk can be better, or worse. But mostly he's a totally different player. Defensively he's not in the ballpark of where Ben was in his final season at UConn. I think we too often focus on offense. Bouk is going to need to guard people like James Harden at the next level. Think he's ready for that? Me neither.

Bouk is taller, but Ben was much stronger. Bouk has tremendous instincts for the modern game. Ben was nearly unguardable in the prior isolation style offense. Bouk's skills run more towards a ball movement heavy offensive system. Ben was a stone cold assassin, who was a step ahead in knowing how to beat his man individually. To my eyes, Ben was better with the ball in his hands and Bouk is fantastic creating things away from the ball.

Think about the guys Ben played against, and succeeded.
"It was like a serial killer mentality. I was processing all your tendencies and your weaknesses, and I was thinking about slaughtering you. It was violent. It was over-the-top. But you have to understand, I was 6′ 1″. They were always trying to list me as 6′ 3″ my whole career, but dog, let me let you in on a secret: A was 6′ 1″. I’m out there with Kobe and Tony Allen guarding me. You know how tricky you gotta be to get a shot off against those dudes at 6′ 1″? You gotta be so laser focused. So methodical, so calculated, so obsessed. "
No one can guard James Harden with the way they call the game. But I get your point

Reaction Score
I believe Ben won a sixth man of the year award, as I recall.
Yep, he was... I remember the 2009 Bulls Celtics Playoff series, it was an epic 7 game series. BG was lights out in that series, at times looked like the best dude on the court. I think it was one of the first games in the series he dropped like 40 something. He was on fire. Still to this day one of my favorite playoff series, dude was so underrated. Damn I miss BG.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
What this thread has shown is that for some of us there is a serious disconnect between talent and ability. Talent is what you can be; ability is what you are now. The distance between talent and ability is the potential. Both Sid and Bouk are tremendous talents with great potentials. However neither is playing up to their college level ability at this time. Perhaps Bouk will step it up to be named with Ray and Rip and perhaps he won't. Perhaps Sid will instantly become a fundamentally sound player who understands his role in both offense and defense and perhaps he won't. But right now neither has accomplished a thing. Perhaps they will and perhaps they won't. All else is speculation.

Reaction Score
All fair comments. Tough to figure out where the lack of work ethic ends and inability to learn sets and be coached begins.
Having said that, Sid said he was going to change - let’s give him the benefit of the doubt at least publicly until he proves us otherwise. We will know soon enough.
#ChiefKeepingItReal
I guess he's not going anywhere then...

Reaction Score
Yeah I have. The quality of play and the quality of players is substantially worse, particularly once the Calhoun holdovers left. There is some indication that things are improving with Hurley but can you honestly say anyone on last years team besides Bouknight and Vital would see much time on say the 2004 team?
Neither one would have seen much pt.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom