Sid suspended | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Sid suspended

Reaction Score
A reminder that Akok was clearly playing tired long before he went down with the Achilles. Reminder that Polley's ACL came in the very next practice after his 19/11 game against Tulane. Suddenly the stand-still shooter becomes an aggressive driver and offensive rebounder, shocking everyone, including, as it turns out, his ACL. Thanks to all here who point out that playing tournament-grade D-1 basketball is no more taxing that getting out of bed in the morning -- or curling up in your mother's lap. More thoughts from the knee bone always welcome.

A lot of basketball players have practiced after a 19/11 game and din't blow their knee out. You're betting a little silly here in the "what if" sense. They're basketball players they play every day anyway growing up. These are unfortunate injuries but it can happen any time. Akok was also nursing an injury which could've caused his achilles issue.

You never know. One thing you do know you say yes to the NIT committee and let the 7 guys and maybe a couple walk ons get some extra minutes they deserve for all of the hard work this season.

Reaction Score
The goal for this season is post-season play. To qualify and decline would be madness.

The NIT isn't post season play, its extended play and there is a big difference.

My point is proven when posters say the want to play in the NIT to get experience for next season. No talk of wanting to play in the NIT to win the NIT championship. If the NIT isn't an end unto itself it's garbage.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
A reminder that Akok was clearly playing tired long before he went down with the Achilles. Reminder that Polley's ACL came in the very next practice after his 19/11 game against Tulane. Suddenly the stand-still shooter becomes an aggressive driver and offensive rebounder, shocking everyone, including, as it turns out, his ACL. Thanks to all here who point out that playing tournament-grade D-1 basketball is no more taxing that getting out of bed in the morning -- or curling up in your mother's lap. More thoughts from the knee bone always welcome.
Disagree, and disagree. I'm not privy to the medical staff evals on players, but Akok had been less effective prior to his injury likely because of battling "Achilles tendinitis." That can occur but often there are micro-tears in the tendon that weaken it, allowing it to tear when the stress reaches the failure point. It's actually very hard to tear a stone-cold normal Achilles, the strongest tendon in the body. When I see them in a younger individual they virtually always will tell you that they'd been having some pain before it happened. Also, it's doubtful that Polley's ACL had any relation to the prior game. That one was more likely just bad luck, bad timing.

Reaction Score
Sure, let's play, under the time-tested theory that everything's fine until it isn't. Tired players get injured. Tired legs take missteps and break down. The question is not, "Will it happen?" but "If it does happen, can you justify the risk you took?"
This is UConn basketball. Imagine the coach that preaches toughness, commitment, and a winning culture denies playing more games. How does that reflect to the players who have busted their asses all season to get to playing extra games? If injury is your concern, cancel the rest of the season. The AAC tourney is way tougher legs wise than playing a few NIT games that are spaced out by multiple days.

Reaction Score
Disagree, and disagree. I'm not privy to the medical staff evals on players, but Akok had been less effective prior to his injury likely because of battling "Achilles tendinitis." That can occur but often there are micro-tears in the tendon that weaken it, allowing it to tear when the stress reaches the failure point. It's actually very hard to tear a stone-cold normal Achilles, the strongest tendon in the body. When I see them in a younger individual they virtually always will tell you that they'd been having some pain before it happened. Also, it's doubtful that Polley's ACL had any relation to the prior game. That one was more likely just bad luck, bad timing.

I love when @Doctor Hoop comes on and just shuts people down.

Reaction Score
The NIT isn't post season play, its extended play and there is a big difference.

My point is proven when posters say the want to play in the NIT to get experience for next season. No talk of wanting to play in the NIT to win the NIT championship. If the NIT isn't an end unto itself it's garbage.

Sign me up for extended play for a team going to be moving to a tougher conference whose rotation consists of 85% players who might be back next season.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Heard Hurley was at the Fieldhouse scouting intramural ball.

I recall one year when I played intramural ball in class C. We sucked. However, one team in class A had Johh Gwynn and a seven foot center from Germany (can’t remember his name) who were ineligible. That team came in 3rd place in class A. There are probably some ball players out there.

Reaction Score
Winning the Big East tournament in 2011 was a huge factor in propelling us to a national championship, as was the run to the AAC finals in 2014. Those games absolutely do prepare teams for the one and done experience of the NCAA's.
Never said conference tournaments weren't valuable but so are non conference tournaments for different reasons and different experiences.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Wrong, right now we are still playing for seeding in the AAC tournament and the chance to win that tournament and make the real tournament. These games matter.

Did I wake up in 1947? The NIT is important again??

The NIT run UConn made when I was a student (1980s not 1940s) electrified campus like nothing before. It was, without question, the reason we went on to have greater success. Playing in the NIT would be vitally important to this program and to these kids.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Could not agree more! No one ever got excited about winning the NIT...

1582993514915.png

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
The NIT run UConn made when I was a student (1980s not 1940s) electrified campus like nothing before. It was, without question, the reason we went on to have greater success. Playing in the NIT would be vitally important to this program and to these kids.
Were you at the NIT game vs VCU in the Fieldhouse in '87-'88? Pretty unforgettable.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Go read the posts, nobody mentioned the NIT championship until I brought it up.

I don't understand your point here, are you saying that the experience wouldn't be valuable for next year? An NIT championship would be cool but I guarantee you nobody here would elevate it anywhere close to our other championships.

Reaction Score
Could not agree more! No one ever got excited about winning the NIT...

View attachment 51355

I guess the big question is do the players in 2020 give a darn about the opportunity to win the NIT championship? It is a real question. They obviously did in 1988. Not so much in 1989. If they deem it important then do it. But the goal needs to be to win it, not just show up.

Reaction Score
Don’t see how they wouldn’t go. Experience the tourney, chance to play in the Garden, where we’ll be playing more next year. Good for us fans, chance for lots of positives.

Reaction Score
I recall one year when I played intramural ball in class C. We sucked. However, one team in class A had Johh Gwynn and a seven foot center from Germany (can’t remember his name) who were ineligible. That team came in 3rd place in class A. There are probably some ball players out there.

Hah, it was Marc Suhr. My team played them. Got smoked.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom