Sid suspended | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Sid suspended

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I would kill myself in practice.
A trifecta of mixed emotions here:

1) If anyone else did that, it would bring us down to only 6 players.

2) This might result in @metsfan2323 really digging in his heals.

3) There'd be that extra something more to play for.

I never thought this would be so complex. Maybe that idea of waiting to see if there's a bid extended is a good one

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Wrong, right now we are still playing for seeding in the AAC tournament and the chance to win that tournament and make the real tournament. These games matter.

Did I wake up in 1947? The NIT is important again??

I wouldn't call it important, but the experience of playing in a win-or-go-home game is important for these kids. Nobody on this team has played in a game like that at this level. Look at how deer-in-the-headlights our kids looked in those first two road games in league play; I don't want them to get that same feeling in their first Big East Tourney game next year.

Reaction Score
Nope. Any coach will be delighted to have the extra coaching time afforded a postseason invite. If DH turned it down the players would revolt.

It all depends. Sometimes players and coaches are just ready for the season to end and the offseason to be begin. I think in this case, Hurley and the kids want to play...but with the injuries we’ve had and the extremely emotional season they’ve been through, it isn’t a no brainer.

Reaction Score
Exactly. Kinda glad the season is ending soon. Ride the positive mojo into next season. Let the injuries heal. Get back 3-4 more players. This was a huge success of a season. Now if we do get an NIT bid but Sid Wilson isn’t back, does Hurley opt out of the invite? Matt Garry is out for the season we are down to 7 Schollys and one walk on
No way you opt out. That’s crazy talk.

Reaction Score
Just a bad move by Sid. While I feel for the kid a little let's be honest, even if not happy and his intentions were to leave, just play it out then both on the court and in the classroom.

Honestly like the kid but overall the spot on the roster if filled with an impact player will be better for this team in the long run. Not a loss other than depth to me.

Last edited:

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
A trifecta of mixed emotions here:

1) If anyone else did that, it would bring us down to only 6 players.

2) This might result in @metsfan2323 really digging in his heals.

3) There'd be that extra something more to play for.

I never thought this would be so complex. Maybe that idea of waiting to see if there's a bid extended is a good one

you forgot all the extra paperwork for Hurley...

Reaction Score
Does anyone who has ever played a sport believe that we should turn down an opportunity to compete ?

And you see ,that is what the NIT is to us right now.: an opportunity
To be successful at anything you need a myriad of qualities : Skill , perseverance , maturity , hard work competitive spirit . and experience are some of these qualities.

The NIT would be a chance to showcase our improvement and show the college basketball world that we are moving toward our goal of being a championship level program again. A chance for our young players to gain postseason experience , A chance for our departing players to go out as winners ,

A chance to keep playing basketball !

When opportunity knocks ...answer the door. Some on this board would wait till opportunity crashes through the door with a bulldozer before making a move.

I said previously that if we get an NIT bid there is a !00 percent chance we take it.

To those who disagree I ask this rhetorical question, :

Does Dan Hurley strike you as the type of person who turns down a chance to compete ?

Reaction Score
For those talking NIT, I don’t think we’re totally out of the at large picture. Up to #59 in KenPom and they’re talking about USC which is #55 as being a bubble team. Win out including the Houston win and get to the finals of the AAC and we may be in the hunt as shocking as that is. Very weak bubble this year

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
For those talking NIT, I don’t think we’re totally out of the at large picture. Up to #59 in KenPom and they’re talking about USC which is #55 as being a bubble team. Win out including the Houston win and get to the finals of the AAC and we may be in the hunt as shocking as that is. Very weak bubble this year
USC's NET ranking is #45. UConn is #65

Reaction Score
I think the last shard of any possibility left losing to Temple. Crazy enough had we flipped 2 games on the road, we might be hovering around the bubble with a strong finish and deep run in the AAC.

Reaction Score
If they get an invite to postseason play, how can Hurley look CV in the eyes and say “sorry, we only have 7 so we can’t play anymore.” That ain’t happening. CV deserves postseason play if they get a chance, he’s a warrior, he’ll play 36-40 min a game if needed. 7 bodies and the walk on, they can manage.

Sure, let's play, under the time-tested theory that everything's fine until it isn't. Tired players get injured. Tired legs take missteps and break down. The question is not, "Will it happen?" but "If it does happen, can you justify the risk you took?"

Reaction Score
I have always said Sid is an AAU player. Athletic but no real skills. I wish the kid well but we can’t have guys who don’t play hard. I never thought he was much of a get when he transferred from the Johnnies and except for the odd game here or there his contributions have been modest at best. If it were not for our current depth problems this would be a non-story about a deep bench guy leaving the team.

Reaction Score
USC's NET ranking is #45. UConn is #65

I've watched a lot of college hoops again and while USC has some more talented players they aren't a better team. Our Huskies would have a better chance against a highly ranked team. Andy's not a very good coach as they play like a bunch of chickens with their heads cut off and their defense isn't close to our guys when we are focused. But we will never get a nod for the dance without winning the tourney, especially of these chairpeople are stupid enough to look at Joe Lunard's BS.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Stop being stupid. After the NCAA dreams went up in smoke the entire goal of the season had been to get to the NIT. You want nexr year's NCAA to not be the first tourney game any of the players have seen. No, the AAC tournament doesn't count. Plus you want the extra practices.

Reaction Score

If we won out, then beat Tulane, Wichita, and Houston (again) in the AAC tourny before losing to Cincy in the final, we'd be right on the bubble. We'd still have losing record in both Q1 & Q2 with 2 bad losses. We might get the bump for being a hot team and not the same team that lost some of those games and make it, but I'd still be pretty skeptical of our chances. We'd be low 50s in NET and mid 60s in WAB. I'd say 1 in 3 chance.

But if there's any sort of upset to Houston or Cincy, we'd have little shot.

Reaction Score
A reminder that Akok was clearly playing tired long before he went down with the Achilles. Reminder that Polley's ACL came in the very next practice after his 19/11 game against Tulane. Suddenly the stand-still shooter becomes an aggressive driver and offensive rebounder, shocking everyone, including, as it turns out, his ACL. Thanks to all here who point out that playing tournament-grade D-1 basketball is no more taxing that getting out of bed in the morning -- or curling up in your mother's lap. More thoughts from the knee bone always welcome.

Reaction Score
] No, the AAC tournament doesn't count.

So the AAC tournament doesn't count but the NIT does????? This board is on drugs. Not good drugs either, we're talking mind numbing, IQ lowering prescription drugs.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
So the AAC tournament doesn't count but the NIT does????? This board is on drugs.
It is one and done but against conference mates - teams we are familiar with. The NCAA, NIT offer a different dynamic - not 4 days in a row but more prep needed due to the unfamiliarity of the teams. A little less comfort so a different experience.

Reaction Score
It is one and done but against conference mates - teams we are familiar with. The NCAA, NIT offer a different dynamic - not 4 days in a row but more prep needed due to the unfamiliarity of the teams. A little less comfort so a different experience.

Winning the Big East tournament in 2011 was a huge factor in propelling us to a national championship, as was the run to the AAC finals in 2014. Those games absolutely do prepare teams for the one and done experience of the NCAA's.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom