She’s Back - Paige Available vs. St. John's [merged thread] | Page 6 | The Boneyard

She’s Back - Paige Available vs. St. John's [merged thread]

Reaction Score
I see several comments suggesting that Paige wait until the Conference Tournament or the NCAA Tourney. But to do we really want her to get her feet wet & her knee tested in a one & done scenario? Isn't it better to give Paige a few minutes in these last two games to test the waters? I'm sure Geno doesn't want Paige's return to be the focus during the Tournaments instead of concentrating on the task at hand.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
It sounds like she may get a few minutes in tonight's game in Hartford against St. John's.
Not a guarantee but unless there is a setback it appears Geno will put her in.
Great news for UConn team and for in general women's hoops. SNY carries the game....7:00.
UConn team and St. John's are already in Hartford.

Significant snow in the area will hold crowd down. If she is held out they play at Gampel on Sunday
on Senior Day...CBSSports has that one. The medical staff predicted about 8 weeks from her surgery in early
December....about February 7.

She has been very active in practice of late. First game in the NCAA tourney is about 3 weeks away...would
seem like plenty of time to shake off rust etc.

Two serious Dance Teams in Storrs this year...a great time of year.

Reaction Score
I'd be carefull ,really,really carefull ! Don't need her for the final 2 games. maybe play her 5-6 mintues tonight and 5-10 min Sunday depending how she playing. a reinjured knee and she can be done for good Too much to loose long term than to play in meaningless games now.

Reaction Score
So what changed in a day? I just read an article saying she wouldn't play in the regular season with Geno saying some days she feels like she can go and others not. Good days and bad days and she's just not there yet. Then it's "she's playing tomorrow." Strange.
What changed? She had a final medical appointment which approved her readiness to play, this is pretty simple to understand really.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Of course we don't see how she's been moving in practices and what she has been attempting on the floor (quick changes of direction, sharp stops and starts, leaps and landings), so it's impossible to know or predict her readiness. But she's gotten the OK. Still, I'll be holding my breath while she's in any games for awhile . . . really.
This. Remember how much of a surprise it was when Azzi started playing? They are not showing much of anything via media or press. IMHO, a lot of PB's activity - sprinting, cutting, pivoting, etc, etc, is being done with docs, physios, coaches all watching intently, and no press.

Reaction Score
I will be there even if the state closes I84 (I've done it before).

As far as some who think Paige shouldn't play, I said this once and I'll say it again, a ship is safe in port, but that's not why the ship was built.
A ship isn’t safe in port if there’s a major storm coming.

That’s the NCAAs.

Reaction Score
This. Remember how much of a surprise it was when Azzi started playing? They are not showing much of anything via media or press. IMHO, a lot of PB's activity - sprinting, cutting, pivoting, etc, etc, is being done with docs, physios, coaches all watching intently, and no press.
I don't think this is any kind of strategic planning by Geno. He simply doesn't know and has said as much. They tell him who's available and if there are restrictions and he goes from there. That's the way he put it when CW was out and the press kept pestering him about her return. What Geno tells us in the pressers is probably what he knows (and can share) at that moment.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Yes, exactly. While some here on the BY fret endlessly over whether or not Paige is ready to go, the UConn medical staff, training staff and coaching staff have all been involved in a systematic rehabilitation process with Paige, insuring that she meets various benchmarks along the way before proceeding to the next phase.

The original 8-week timetable, post surgery, could have had Paige back on Feb 7. We are now almost to 11 weeks. Throughout the process, we can be absolutely assured that everyone erred on the side of caution before giving Paige the green light to return.

Reaction Score
What changed? She had a final medical appointment which approved her readiness to play, this is pretty simple to understand really.
Simple huh? "Good days and bad days" but now ready to play? I want her to be 100%, not day to day healthy. "Cleared" means unlikely to sustain further injury. It doesn't mean truly ready. Why push it?

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
No...at least from my point of view. If the mods switch it over....that's fine.
I sometimes harbor the delusion that most UConn fans root for both teams...one more
strongly that the other...but are fans of /interested in significant events of both teams.
Men's team posts occasionally appear on the women's board....as OT posts.
Hope that is permissable...even appreciated... on this side.

Go Huskies!

Reaction Score
Maybe five minutes a half just to get her moving in a live action game. Of course, Geno now has to deal with another headache as there is no way Paige will be content with that...

Reaction Score
I believe that just the sight of her on the floor will be a BIG TIME BOOST to the team. She just has to be Paige and do her thing and the team will do the rest. I feel sorry for the ST.John's women in the game. You can't fight Karma or Destiny.
the roof is going to be blown off tonite when she steps into the game

Reaction Score
Among ESPN’s top overall (not just WBB) headlines:

I saw SportsCenter lead off with it. Changed my mind about ESPN hating UConn.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom