Shabazz Napier Draft Decision | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Shabazz Napier Draft Decision

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Bazz goes and plays in EU for $75K per year tomorrow. the decision for him is: take that and move on or stay another year, see if he can improve his stock and get guaranteed money in US and get closer to a college degree. Really him being a second round pick or not drafted probably makes the decision to leave easier as chances he can get into guarnateed money are less likely

Reaction Score
Any guards out there for '13-'14 if either of these two leave? We are already a little thin in the backcourt. Definitely will need to pick someone up if either or both of them leave.

Reaction Score
If you are not going to get drafted what is the point of leaving even if you do not think another year will help you? Olander is not getting drafted, but he is not "considering" leaving.

A lot of these kids don't come from money and have families to support. You gotta respect people's needs. If he can't improve his draft stock and he needs the money, I can understand the choice even if I don't like it.

Reaction Score
Any guards out there for '13-'14 if either of these two leave? We are already a little thin in the backcourt. Definitely will need to pick someone up if either or both of them leave.
Shane Rector from Rutgers claimed that UConn would offer if one of the guards left. I have to imagine the Rutgers transfers have a pretty good shot at a waiver to be able to play immediately.

Reaction Score
Shane Rector from Rutgers claimed that UConn would offer if one of the guards left. I have to imagine the Rutgers transfers have a pretty good shot at a waiver to be able to play immediately.

Love to have Eli Carter if he transferred without restrictions to replace Boat if he decided to take his services to the Miami Heat ;).

Reaction Score
Recognizing reality isn't mocking. It is recognizing reality.

This:

Boatright weighing decision??? Who would draft him?? the Turkish league??

Is mocking. Pretty clearly. I love this "advisors" schtick of yours, too. You think the players are the dumbest, most short sighted kids on the planet and they're surrounded by money grubbing leeches who do nothing but get high and commit crime. You're one of the ones that probably thinks when Shabazz puts up three fingers after a three that he's throwing up a gang sign.

Of course you don't recognize mockery. You'd have to have a modicum of respect for the kid first.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Portsmouth is for seniors
thanks for clarification but i thought it was now open to those who have declared - my point was if he could have played he should have declared by now and played his way into at least a solid 2nd round choice - my bad

Reaction Score
Hardaway Jr. Michigan goes pro...So Burke & Hardaway knocks Michigan down a notch or 2 for Final4 contention.

Reaction Score
Arizona McDonald's All American Grant Jarrett takes his 5.2 pts a game to the NBA. Moser or Josh Davis to AZ. Maybe Moser backs out at UW?

Reaction Score
Not it at all. But did you watch him play? the worry with Boatright I think is that I'm not sure he will get the best advice from some of his outside "advisors" and I use that term guardedly. Given his size he is a marginal NBA player at best. He is in no way ready to be drafted based on last season.

There's nothing wrong with voicing the opinion that he's not ready for the NBA - that would be the universal consensus of this board, and any other board. But comments about Euro exchange rates and the Turkish League are gery that I'd expect to read on syracusefan.com about our kids, and not from people that are supposed to be part of his fan base.

Here's another reality: you can still buy nice with Euros, or even Turkish money (Khalid has made around $10 million in his career, much of it in Turkey). There's no reason why he has to keep playing for UConn, whether the NBA wants him or not.

Reaction Score
There's nothing wrong with voicing the opinion that he's not ready for the NBA - that would be the universal consensus of this board, and any other board. But comments about Euro exchange rates and the Turkish League are gery that I'd expect to read on syracusefan.com about our kids, and not from people that are supposed to be part of his fan base.

Here's another reality: you can still buy nice with Euros, or even Turkish money (Khalid has made around $10 million in his career, much of it in Turkey). There's no reason why he has to keep playing for UConn, whether the NBA wants him or not.

Yes but why would you give up your remaining eligibility to play overseas and not live out your NBA dream. That's ridiculous. I hope you can understand that. The Turkish league money will be there when the NBA dream fails.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
if Ollie actually he said "he hopes they're both coming back", I can only surmise the only advice they're getting from KO and JC is to "come back", which also suggests the draft day feedback they're getting from their sources is not favorable

maybe Bazz is just holding out hope at this point, maybe there is a team out there considering him for a late first round pick but nothing locked up

Reaction Score
Yes but why would you give up your remaining eligibility to play overseas and not live out your NBA dream. That's ridiculous. I hope you can understand that. The Turkish league money will be there when the NBA dream fails.
What says he will play in the NBA after this season should he stay? What if he blows out his knee, becomes the next dyson? I don't want him to go but it's whats best for his future not one year.

willie99

Reaction Score
I've seen more than a few mock drafts and draft rankings. None of them have had Bazz listed. I believe he's going to be a 7-10yr NBA player but the experts know more than me obviously.

Hell, this site has him listed as 6'10" and he's still rated #87. And if nbadraftpik.com says it, it must be true.

http://nba.draftpik.com/2013/prospect?prospect=261

6'10", 180 lbs

that's too skiny

pj

Reaction Score
Bazz is going to be an excellent player in the NBA, he is grossly underrated, he has consistently sacrificed the scoresheet to help the team, he brought us a national championship and an unexpectedly strong season this year.

The only issue with him is health. If he can stay injury-free and train and play at full intensity consistently, he'll be in the NBA. If he had better luck with injuries, this would be the right time to declare and I'd be very happy for him. I don't know his current injury status and maybe he still can declare. We'll see. If not, it will be wonderful to have him back, this team can be special next year.

Boatright needs more experience as a point guard at this level. It would be a mistake for him to attempt the jump right now.

willie99

Reaction Score
going off on a bit of a tangent here, but why do people who think he should leave early think they're thinking in the players' beat interests but others are not?

is life really that black and white? so simple? What if people have supported all the lottery picks that leave early but don't support kids who won't get drafted leaving early? are they thinking in the players' best interest?

The only player who left early who's decision I didn't support was Josh Boone, and that's only because JC didn't think he should leave. I believe his quote went something like "he's listening to people who he must think know more about the process than me"

Based on EVERYTHING I've read, they should both come back. It's in their best interests to do so

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Bazz is going to be an excellent player in the NBA, he is grossly underrated, he has consistently sacrificed the scoresheet to help the team, he brought us a national championship and an unexpectedly strong season this year.
I'm not so sure. He's a great college guard and I am very, very happy to have him, but I'm not sure that will translate well to the NBA.

Reaction Score
I get the feeling that deep down Shabazz wants to leave but he knows he will not be selected in the first round. Thats why he is waiting until the last possible day to make a decision.

Reaction Score
I saw pictures of the ground breaking ceremony and coach Ollie and coach Auriemma both chose one player to take part in the ceremony. Boat and Kallena Mosqueda-Lewis were the chosen players. Why not Bazz? He should be the one Ollie should have chosen since he is the head captain of the team. Could this mean he is not returning next season?

Napier was chosen to unveil the new b-ball uniforms today, just FYI.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
going off on a bit of a tangent here, but why do people who think he should leave early think they're thinking in the players' beat interests but others are not?

is life really that black and white? so simple? What if people have supported all the lottery picks that leave early but don't support kids who won't get drafted leaving early? are they thinking in the players' best interest?

The only player who left early who's decision I didn't support was Josh Boone, and that's only because JC didn't think he should leave. I believe his quote went something like "he's listening to people who he must think know more about the process than me"

Based on EVERYTHING I've read, they should both come back. It's in their best interests to do so

The only reason people should be upset with Shabazz leaving is if there is evidence that he can play his way into a 1st round pick after next season if he stays. I have serious doubts about that; sure, it's possible, but I can't imagine him playing much better than he did this year. And I can't recall very many players making significant strides from their Junior to Senior seasons.

Reaction Score
Of course, so was Kelly Faris who's graduating this year, so I wouldn't read terribly much into it. It's not a bad sign, though.

I'm not reading anything into it at all, that was the point of my post... was responding to another poster who suggested Napier not representing the Men's Team at the groundbreaking may mean he's leaving.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
My guess is that Napier stays. My only circumstantial evidence is this: The APR.

According to the Courant article, "Napier is not projected as a first-round pick, or even considered a certain second-round pick."

Based on the Calhoun interview on CenterStage with Michael Kay earlier this month, An early entrant's academic performance doesn't against the school count provided they are signed to a professional basketball contract (call it the One and Done exception). Second rounders are not guaranteed a contract. I don't remember if he said solely NBA, so even if the player goes overseas, the kid's performance (or lack thereof) may count against the school.

Why is this important? Napier suffered through the post-season ban incurred through no fault of his own. He is likely not going to force those coming after him the same fate.

take it FWIW.

Reaction Score
I don't really think the contract stipulation matters as long as they leave in good academic standing. Bazz was honored for having a 3.0gpa the 1st semester, I would assume he would complete his coursework through the 2nd semester if he were to declare. Lamb did the same last year, I don't think it mattered with Drummond since he was considered a walk on.

My guess is that Napier stays. My only circumstantial evidence is this: The APR.

According to the Courant article, "Napier is not projected as a first-round pick, or even considered a certain second-round pick."

Based on the Calhoun interview on CenterStage with Michael Kay earlier this month, An early entrant's academic performance doesn't against the school count provided they are signed to a professional basketball contract (call it the One and Done exception). Second rounders are not guaranteed a contract. I don't remember if he said solely NBA, so even if the player goes overseas, the kid's performance (or lack thereof) may count against the school.

Why is this important? Napier suffered through the post-season ban incurred through no fault of his own. He is likely not going to force those coming after him the same fate.

take it FWIW.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020