Shabazz Napier Draft Decision | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Shabazz Napier Draft Decision

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Also, and I have no idea how this works, Football and basketball are headcount scholarship sports (there are 6 on the women's side). All other sports are considered equivalency scholarship sports, where it is rare for an athlete to get a full ride. My logical guess is if a student-athlete leaves early, the program's APR is only affected as a ratio of that student's scholarship aid.
The NCAA does adjust APR, on a student-by-student basis, in two circumstances. One exception that can be made, is for student-athletes who leave prior to graduation, while in good academic standing, to pursue a professional career. Another is for student-athletes who transfer to another school while meeting minimum academic requirements and student-athletes who return to graduate at a later date.

From Wikipedia

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
The NCAA does adjust APR, on a student-by-student basis, in two circumstances. One exception that can be made, is for student-athletes who leave prior to graduation, while in good academic standing, to pursue a professional career. Another is for student-athletes who transfer to another school while meeting minimum academic requirements and student-athletes who return to graduate at a later date.

From Wikipedia
Yep, I read that too. As I said my understanding re: getting drafted and a contract comes from Calhoun's interview on CenterStage. As luck would have it, it is being replayed on the YES Network tomorrow morning at 6:00am, if I remember, I try and catch it again..as much as it pains me to watch YES, being a Sox fan...:)

Reaction Score
PG Kendall Williams as of today appears to be returning to New Mexico for 2013-14. His stock could also rise next year as reining MWC POY. The decisions of Russ Smith and Shane Larkin could directly effect what Bazz decides to do. Those are the 2 players I would focus on the most with regards to a Bazz decision at the moment. JMHO

I still think Bazz is leading the Huskies to the National Championship next year.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Two things that could definitely improve Bazz's draft stock are the team making a splash in the NCAAs and Bazz proving that he can play healthy all next year.
At present, the health of his foot, given the recurrent nature of his injury raises a big question mark.
Statistically, he could duplicate this year's performance and be a solid lower 1st round pick.
Next year's draft will have a much better top ten, but will not necessarily be much deeper.

Reaction Score
@AmoreCourant: Kevin Ollie says he has given Shabazz Napier feedback he has gotten from NBA contacts, now Shabazz is weighing info #uconnmen

@AmoreCourant: At end of day, Kevin Ollie believes Napier, boatright, Daniels are all coming back. #uconnmen. But won't be certain til 4/28

Reaction Score
@AmoreCourant: At end of day, Kevin Ollie believes Napier, boatright, Daniels are all coming back. #uconnmen. But won't be certain til 4/28

THAT would be a great returning nucleus. Here's looking forward to 2013-14.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Yep, I read that too. As I said my understanding re: getting drafted and a contract comes from Calhoun's interview on CenterStage. As luck would have it, it is being replayed on the YES Network tomorrow morning at 6:00am, if I remember, I try and catch it again..as much as it pains me to watch YES, being a Sox fan...:)
Just confirmed...Calhoun said if an underclassman signs an nba contract, it does not count against APR. Regardless of the actual wording, this is what Calhoun said on CenterStage.

Reaction Score
Slow news day...

@SportandoBasket: Shabazz Napier set to return to school for his senior year http://post original url/2HbrvhqgEx

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
The problem in the past were students who were not academically eligible after the Spring Semester and either transferred or went to the NBA or otherwise left school for discipline or academic reasons. The o for 2 scenarios.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2...ing-changes/yHty7cPuTudcbQlS3Q7CkM/story.html

Comes from this Boston Globe article.

While UConn guard Shabazz Napier was considering leaving the Huskies for the NBA draft, the point guard is close to deciding to return to school for his senior season. Napier was likely a second-round pick or would have gone undrafted this year. A strong senior season could push Napier into the first round in June 2014.

Reaction Score
The problem in the past were students who were not academically eligible after the Spring Semester and either transferred or went to the NBA or otherwise left school for discipline or academic reasons. The o for 2 scenarios.

Only transfers need to leave in good standing (i.e. 2.3 GPA).
Players that leave for the pros do not need a 2.3 GPA average. This is one of the absurdities Jay Bilas addressed.
Players tossed for disciplinary reasons are exempt from APR (i.e. they don't count).

When you boil it down, the only way you're hurt is if a player transfers with low grades or if a player decides to leave school in the middle of the semester.

A good way to forestall the hit to your APR if you get wind of a player leaving or about to transfer is o kick him out on some trumped up disciplinary charge.

Reaction Score
Unless Shabazz is prepared to bounce around the D league or play in Turkey he should return, work on his conditioning, quickness and lead UConn to a deep run in 2014. Best chance to get 1st round and a guaranteed contract 4 3-4 years.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
some people on here are overvaluing the idea bazz can improve his draft stock, especially since some say next years is equivalent to 03.He is what he is scouts know about him. Getting a head start on his pro career isn't delusional at all. It's quite myopic to believe some miraculous run the ncaas would launch him into a lotto pick, Unless he comes back a world class athlete or something

Nice use of vocab words

Reaction Score
Unless Shabazz is prepared to bounce around the D league or play in Turkey he should return, work on his conditioning, quickness and lead UConn to a deep run in 2014. Best chance to get 1st round and a guaranteed contract 4 3-4 years.

It's highly unlikely Shabazz becomes a first round pick unless he becomes a first team All-American next year, and even then, his small frame and relative lack of explosiveness will likely prohibit him from cracking the first round. However, I do think he could benefit from another year at UConn - teams will certainly be more likely to view him as a backup PG if he can better his assist to turnover ratio, help increase his teams offensive efficiency, and improve defensively.

Reaction Score
He'll be in a similar position as AJ Price with respect to the NBA, except he's a bit smaller and therefore more of a liability on the defensive end.

Reaction Score
Bazz is a great leader and is very clutch. When completely healthy, he is quicker than many on this board realize. However, he is slight of build and 6' at best. With a great senior season including a deep tourney run, he could be a mid to late first round pick. I know I will be pulling for him.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Bazz is a great leader and is very clutch. When completely healthy, he is quicker than many on this board realize. However, he is slight of build and 6' at best. With a great senior season including a deep tourney run, he could be a mid to late first round pick. I know I will be pulling for him.

QFT

really can't even comprehend how one could argue he "can't improve" his draft position.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Its kind of concerning that Shabazz's foot is hurt again after all of the off-season surgery he had last year.

I wonder if this is the type of injury that will never fully heal. He needs to be 100% healthy and play a full season to his ability and he can certainly become a 1st rd pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom