Shabazz Napier Draft Decision | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Shabazz Napier Draft Decision

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm not saying it is in his best interest to leave - far from it. I'm saying it is in his best interest to make his own decision.

The only reason we care is that he plays basketball for the team we root for and we want our team to do well. We're not some sort of fan advisory board that has any sort of say in the matter. Whether we support anyone's decision or not is irrelevant. We're just thinking selfishly, unless you benevolently weigh in on strangers decisions all the time - saying what UConn baseball players should do after their junior years, or what regular students should do when their family needs a fulltime income.

The NBA may be a dream for him - but probably so is making money, supporting his family, etc. He has spent the last two years getting kicked around by NCAA politics and his own fan base, so perhaps there's part of him that is maybe just tired of college hoops and would rather take a shot now, go play ball in Europe if he doesn't make it, and get paid for any future bs he deals with. I couldn't blame him. Hopefully, there's also a part of him that loves his team and his school, and wants to experience March Madness again before becoming an adult, as well as a part of him that is self-aware enough to know he has more work to do to help his draft prospects. But we don't know what's going through his mind and what's most important to him.

I hope he stays for the team's sake, but if he goes now, I wish him well and hope he makes it and becomes the next Isaiah Thomas (the Washington one, not the Indiana one - who declared early, was mocked, and now starts for Sacramento), or that he finds a great situation overseas. I also know my support or opinion on the matter means about as much as a Starbucks barista who hands him a latte.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I don't really think the contract stipulation matters as long as they leave in good academic standing. Bazz was honored for having a 3.0gpa the 1st semester, I would assume he would complete his coursework through the 2nd semester if he were to declare. Lamb did the same last year, I don't think it mattered with Drummond since he was considered a walk on.

This is not what what Calhoun said. The reason is because retention is a big part of the calculation, IIRC. A school obviously does not retain a junior who declares early.

I don't know if there is a transcript of the interview and this part of the interview is not unfortunately available on yesnetwork.com.

Reaction Score
This is not what what Calhoun said. The reason is because retention is a big part of the calculation, IIRC. A school obviously does not retain a junior who declares early.

I don't know if there is a transcript of the interview and this part of the interview is not unfortunately available on yesnetwork.com.

It has nothing to do with signing a professional contract. It has to do with pursuing a professional career. If a player leaves school early to pursue a pro career, and is in good academic standing, he will not cost an APR point.

Reaction Score

Any kid who leaves for the pros is exempt from the calculation. Nor does his GPA have to be above 2.3 (or 2.6). That only applies to transfers (another absurdity). This is why Kentucky has a good APR.

Reaction Score
It has nothing to do with signing a professional contract. It has to do with pursuing a professional career. If a player leaves school early to pursue a pro career, and is in good academic standing, he will not cost an APR point.

Doesn't have to hit a certain # on GPA. By good academic standing, he simply needs credits. That's it. Grade doesn't matter. It only matters for transfers.

Reaction Score
Yes but why would you give up your remaining eligibility to play overseas and not live out your NBA dream. That's ridiculous. I hope you can understand that. The Turkish league money will be there when the NBA dream fails.

Because he wants to? Because he could go over there today and start earning a nice paycheck and seeing the world? Because for some reason you're conflating playing another year in college with "living out [his] NBA dream"? I don't get why you seem to think that staying another year at UConn = NBA career, while leaving now doesn't. That's just you trying to rationalize your own selfish interest in his decision.

Shabazz is going to have to earn a spot in the NBA whether he comes out this year or next year. He's not going to be a first rounder. So if he feels like it's in his best interest to call it a career at UConn and move on to the next challenge that's his decision and he's more than entitled to it.

[But oh boy will that throw a monkey wrench in next year's lineup.]

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Because he wants to? Because he could go over there today and start earning a nice paycheck and seeing the world? Because for some reason you're conflating playing another year in college with "living out [his] NBA dream"? I don't get why you seem to think that staying another year at UConn = NBA career, while leaving now doesn't. That's just you trying to rationalize your own selfish interest in his decision.

Shabazz is going to have to earn a spot in the NBA whether he comes out this year or next year. He's not going to be a first rounder. So if he feels like it's in his best interest to call it a career at UConn and move on to the next challenge that's his decision and he's more than entitled to it.

But youre assuming he can't play his way into a first round pick and a guaranteed contract next year. Coming back to UCONN is absolutely the best way to make that happen. I suppose if he leaves he has decided there isn't any way he is going to be a first round pick ever and he might as well start making money. Thats a pretty risky strategy.

Reaction Score

Of course he is entitled to, he entitled to quit now and never play basketball again. His life.

But why leave early to play in Europe? That is silly, if it was not kids would be going there outta high school to start earning a nice paycheck and seeing the world. Get your degree and work on your game and see if you can get drafted. If you cannot and then have to go Europe so be it. At least you have a college degree, gained another year of experience, living in the US close to your family, working on your game and building your name. You at least know you gave it all you had.

Have you talked to people who have played in Europe? Ever heard an interview with Jennings about the life? Sure the money is nice, but living in Kiev in the winter on your own is not all its cracked up to be.

Husky25

Reaction Score

If you're late to the game here on the APR, it's the grade-and-graduating measuring tool that simplistically deduces how a program keeps its players in school and in good academic standing. You get one point if a player is academically eligible. You lose one point if a player flunks or drops out of school. You don't get punished if a player is drafted into the pros before graduating.

I'm trying to find the quote. Again, I believe Calhoun mentioned the contract part of this. Unlike first rounders, second rounders are not guaranteed contracts.

Reaction Score
But youre assuming he can't play his way into a first round pick and a guaranteed contract next year. Coming back to UCONN is absolutely the best way to make that happen. I suppose if he leaves he has decided there isn't any way he is going to be a first round pick ever and he might as well start making money. Thats a pretty risky strategy.

I don't see it as particularly risky. Is there an off chance that Shabazz could end up going in the first round next year? I suppose there is - never say never - but he would have to have an absolutely spectacular season, and some of the strikes against him (size and athleticism) he can't do much about. I just don't see an NBA team burning a first round pick in an absolutely loaded draft on a kid who's going to have to find the right situation to catch on as a backup. You can get those kids in the second round, or sign them over the summer. Like I said, I think he's going to have make a roster whether he comes out this year or next. Homer-in-charge Willie99 thinks he can play himself into the lottery, i think that's just lunacy.

But my bigger point was that the kid's got a decision to make, and people on here have absolutely nothing beyond their own fandom invested in it, so they should shelve the posts where they posit what the "right" decision is for Shabazz, because (a) only he knows what that is and (b) it always tends to coincide with what's best for the team they root for.

Husky25

Reaction Score
if Ollie actually he said "he hopes they're both coming back", I can only surmise the only advice they're getting from KO and JC is to "come back", which also suggests the draft day feedback they're getting from their sources is not favorable

maybe Bazz is just holding out hope at this point, maybe there is a team out there considering him for a late first round pick but nothing locked up
I don't remember any UConn early entry leave school who was not at least a lottery pick and most likely a top 10 selection other than El-Amin.

Reaction Score
Of course he is entitled to, he entitled to quit now and never play basketball again. His life.

But why leave early to play in Europe? That is silly, if it was not kids would be going there outta high school to start earning a nice paycheck and seeing the world. Get your degree and work on your game and see if you can get drafted. If you cannot and then have to go Europe so be it. At least you have a college degree, gained another year of experience, living in the US close to your family, working on your game and building your name. You at least know you gave it all you had.

Have you talked to people who have played in Europe? Ever heard an interview with Jennings about the life? Sure the money is nice, but living in Kiev in the winter on your own is not all its cracked up to be.

Exhibit A. So the right decision for you is to come back to UConn and finish out your career. Congrats. Don't assume that applies to somebody else.

No offense to Brandon Jennings, but his thoughts on his experience in Europe as a spoiled 18 year old don't do much for me. Who's next? Jeremy Tyler?

Reaction Score
Exhibit A. So the right decision for you is to come back to UConn and finish out your career. Congrats. Don't assume that applies to somebody else.

No offense to Brandon Jennings, but his thoughts on his experience in Europe as a spoiled 18 year old don't do much for me. Who's next? Jeremy Tyler?
So you have no argument as to why it makes sense for him to go. All you can say is it his decisions.

Got it okay.

Reaction Score
I don't remember any UConn early entry leave school who was not at least a lottery pick and most likely a top 10 selection other than El-Amin.

MWill and Boone, although the former was thought of as a borderline lottery pick before he showed up to workouts fat and out of shape.

Reaction Score
Yikes, just seen Grant Jerrett is leaving AZ to turn pro, one of the more bizarre decisions in recent memory.

Husky25

Reaction Score
MWill and Boone, although the former was thought of as a borderline lottery pick before he showed up to workouts fat and out of shape.

Gotcha. Someone said Calhoun advised Boone against leaving. I guess my point is Calhoun (provided he is advising either KO or Shabazz directly) has a pretty good feel if an early entrant will embarass himself, Victor Page style (though I believe his family needed the $).

Reaction Score
So you have no argument as to why it makes sense for him to go. All you can say is it his decisions.

Got it okay.

Read more carefully. No offense but it's not my responsibility to show you how to process what you read.

Reaction Score

Don't think that's right. The APR is used universally for all sports. There's no "draft" for professional golf, but my understanding is that if a college golfer left school to pursue a professional career, he would not cost his team an APR point if he was in good standing.

Reaction Score
Read more carefully. No offense but it's not my responsibility to show you how to process what you read.
I read what you wrote. If you think that is an argument for him to leave, ok. Good thing you are not a lawyer.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Don't think that's right. The APR is used universally for all sports. There's no "draft" for professional golf, but my understanding is that if a college golfer left school to pursue a professional career, he would not cost his team an APR point if he was in good standing.

I think the revenue generating sports are a bit of a different animal than golf or tennis for example.

1. There is an age floor/time criteria for both the highest levels of professional football or basketball, which is not the case for other sports with a draft or other non-revenue generating sports.

2. Golf and tennis (Track as well, I believe) are are individual competions, where a player can compete in pro events as an amateur, not accept any prize money, and still retain his/her eligibility.

3. Rare is the instance where an athlete who leaves early or transfers in these other sports let alone in great numbers to affect the program'sAPR. Otherwise I'd think we'd hear about more instances.

Reaction Score
I think the revenue generating sports are a bit of a different animal than golf or tennis for example.

1. There is an age floor/time criteria for both the highest levels of professional football or basketball, which is not the case for other sports with a draft or other non-revenue generating sports.

2. Golf and tennis (Track as well, I believe) are are individual competions, where a player can compete in pro events as an amateur, not accept any prize money, and still retain his/her eligibility.

3. Rare is the instance where an athlete who leaves early or transfers in these other sports let alone in great numbers to affect the program'sAPR. Otherwise I'd think we'd hear about more instances.

I know that it's extremely rare. I'm just saying that I don't think the NCAA distinguishes among the different sports when calculating APR scores. I'm pretty sure the same rules apply to each sport, which is why you would base it on whether a player left school to pursue a pro career, regardless of whether he gets drafted.

Reaction Score

You make some very fair rational points (it is somewhat inherent in fans to be selfish). I would counter argue by expressing the same rationale that Tad Boyle is using with potential senior to be Andre Roberson at Colorado. His thought process is very logical on the issue at hand. It is understandable coaches have a vested interest in the return of star players (Izzo's feelings with A. Payne at Michigan State could be the difference in a National Championship). Boyle though seems to express the same factual scenario that Bazz will encounter. Different players Bazz/Roberson but still room for growth and escalation of NBA value by returning. JMHO of course.

Reaction Score
some people on here are overvaluing the idea bazz can improve his draft stock, especially since some say next years is equivalent to 03.He is what he is scouts know about him. Getting a head start on his pro career isn't delusional at all. It's quite myopic to believe some miraculous run the ncaas would launch him into a lotto pick, Unless he comes back a world class athlete or something

Husky25

Reaction Score
I know that it's extremely rare. I'm just saying that I don't think the NCAA distinguishes among the different sports when calculating APR scores. I'm pretty sure the same rules apply to each sport, which is why you would base it on whether a player left school to pursue a pro career, regardless of whether he gets drafted.
Also, and I have no idea how this works, Football and basketball are headcount scholarship sports (there are 6 on the women's side). All other sports are considered equivalency scholarship sports, where it is rare for an athlete to get a full ride. My logical guess is if a student-athlete leaves early, the program's APR is only affected as a ratio of that student's scholarship aid.

Reaction Score
http://www.cubuffs.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=600&SPID=257&SPSID=3889

Starting @ min 10:00 until around min 18:00 Tad Boyle discusses Dre Roberson and the draft. Most of the discussion smart UConn fans already understand but always interesting to hear it from a good coach. I respect Boyle as a coach building a good solid program at Colorado. Bazz will have similar options as Roberson. I believe the Bazz value can still go up with a return as Boyle feels about Roberson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BlueWolf25

Top Bottom