Shabazz Napier Draft Decision | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Shabazz Napier Draft Decision

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Van deer Blue declared. He is a guy that could have played his way into the Top 20 next year, and will be lucky to be picked this year

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Van deer Blue declared. He is a guy that could have played his way into the Top 20 next year, and will be lucky to be picked this year

You may be right but next year's draft will be loaded unlike this years.
Bazz has a chance to improve his stock greatly this year by being in the talk of the Cousy award and AAU player of the year. I then think he can sneak into the first round and get guaranteed money which is what all players want.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Certainly hope Bazz comes back for both his sake and the team's. It is somewhat disconcerting that he feels like he needs more time to evaluate the situation, as someone pointed out almost all of the key players have declared and Bazz has no chance for improving his stock through workouts.

The only positive is that with the current system there will be enough time to recruit another guard but there it is inconceivable that such a recruit could fill Bazz's shoes.

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
I saw pictures of the ground breaking ceremony and coach Ollie and coach Auriemma both chose one player to take part in the ceremony. Boat and Kallena Mosqueda-Lewis were the chosen players. Why not Bazz? He should be the one Ollie should have chosen since he is the head captain of the team. Could this mean he is not returning next season?
I thought the same thing from my seat, and you could be right. I was really nervous when I didn't see Bazz at all, but felt a little better seeing him with his teammates in the crowd.

Reaction Score
Waiting until a few days before the 28th deadline just seems like a smart move (nothing to lose). This is a very intelligent kid just weighing his options. Arguments can be made either way as to whether or not he should come back next year. Looking at the totality of the circumstances and weighing the pros and cons (there are many) while applying a balancing test....I think the scales tilt towards a return to the University of Connecticut.

There still are players on the fence that Bazz would be potentially competing with for draft position regardless of which round/team. This year he has no chance at the 1st round. Next year despite speculation on the strength of the draft I think Bazz can get a guaranteed contract. For instance with Blue and Bullock declaring (2 guys expected to return) I think this moves Bazz closer to his inevitable decision to be a Husky 1 more year and win a National Championship in Dallas, Texas.

Reactions: pj
Reaction Score
Oklahoma State PG Marcus Smart is staying in school next year. Would have been a top 5 pick most likely. This opens another PG spot that was ahead of Napier.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
If he can't play at Portsmouth starting this week he is probably not going to declare
I don't care if he was 1st team BE (well deserved) but someone like him with no recent post season exposure and coming off injury, he needs to up his stock and performing is only way. I just cant see JO or JC telling him to go

Reaction Score
If he is waiting until the 26th I think it is most likely so he will know everyone else that will be entering early. Then they can try to figure out exactly where he might go. I imagine he is very borderline 1st round at this point and certain kids throwing their hats in could push him out.
You mean boarder line 2nd rounder?

Why is Boat even waiting? What is there to decide? Waiting to see how the exchange rate for the Euro is in a few days?

Reaction Score
Oklahoma State PG Marcus Smart is staying in school next year. Would have been a top 5 pick most likely. This opens another PG spot that was ahead of Napier.

WTF has that guy lost his mind? LOL

Reaction Score
Wow. Huge surprise. Good for him I guess.

Reaction Score
If he can't play at Portsmouth starting this week he is probably not going to declare
I don't care if he was 1st team BE (well deserved) but someone like him with no recent post season exposure and coming off injury, he needs to up his stock and performing is only way. I just cant see JO or JC telling him to go
Portsmouth is for seniors

Reaction Score
Smart staying in school is crazy, I understood the lockout decisions a couple years ago but this is out of left field.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
I've seen more than a few mock drafts and draft rankings. None of them have had Bazz listed. I believe he's going to be a 7-10yr NBA player but the experts know more than me obviously.

Hell, this site has him listed as 6'10" and he's still rated #87. And if nbadraftpik.com says it, it must be true.

http://nba.draftpik.com/2013/prospect?prospect=261

Reaction Score
I've seen more than a few mock drafts and draft rankings. None of them have had Bazz listed. I believe he's going to be a 7-10yr NBA player but the experts know more than me obviously.

Hell, this site has him listed as 6'10" and he's still rated #87. And if nbadraftpik.com says it, it must be true.

http://nba.draftpik.com/2013/prospect?prospect=261

Spring growth spurt we weren't yet aware of?

SJ

Reaction Score
I saw pictures of the ground breaking ceremony and coach Ollie and coach Auriemma both chose one player to take part in the ceremony. Boat and Kallena Mosqueda-Lewis were the chosen players. Why not Bazz? He should be the one Ollie should have chosen since he is the head captain of the team. Could this mean he is not returning next season?
I thought this too but didn't want to think of it or say it like it would make it real! Ha.

Reaction Score
If Shabazz does opt to go to the NBA I don't think I'll be able to come back to this board for a week. Way too much negativity will be shared through multiple threads. I wish Shabazz luck in his decision and hope he chooses what's best for him. Same goes for Boat and Deandre

Reaction Score
I will try to offer an objective analysis on Bazz, Boat, and Daniels without coming off as negative.

Bazz is coming off a great season. Probably one of the best by a UConn guard not named Kemba, Ray, or Rip. If anything, he needs to just show more consistency as he occasionally disappeared for a half. Also, needs to showcase his game on the big stage as I believe he was largely overlooked this season due to the postseason ban. Coming back would help the team immensely and also improve his draft stock.

Boat is a world class athlete in a 5' 9" body. Very good scorer when he is rolling and plays bigger than his height. Handle needs to catch up to his athleticism and needs to show that he can run a team and not get bottled up by double teams and/or larger defenders. No doubt that he should come back and improve his game under KO.

Daniels showed flashes of greatness last season. With a little more strength and an improved handle, he could literally take over games. My only fear is that he is playing the "4" in college and won't have the size or strength to do so at the next level. A return is almost certain. I think he will get lots of attention as a possible all american and have a great junior season.

Really looking forward to next season with everyone (except RJ) back and the addition of Facey and Samuels.

Reaction Score
So much drama, and I thought it was behind us. Oh well, at least we're used to it.

Reaction Score
Don't think either are ready to make the jump, not that they aren't good enough but that they aren't ready. But i support them whatever they do. I hope they come back though, this could be a very special year for Uconn.

Reaction Score
Ah great - here comes the "our players suck" crowd, taking delight in mocking their professional aspirations.
Not it at all. But did you watch him play? the worry with Boatright I think is that I'm not sure he will get the best advice from some of his outside "advisors" and I use that term guardedly. Given his size he is a marginal NBA player at best. He is in no way ready to be drafted based on last season. Recognizing reality isn't mocking. It is recognizing reality.

Reaction Score
I don't think that Shabazz or Boatright think that they are going in the first round. Their thinking is definitely that coming back simply isn't going to help their draft stock. With respect to Shabazz I think that there is some merit to the argument but I think Boatright can definitely improve his shooting.

Reaction Score
I don't think that Shabazz or Boatright think that they are going in the first round. Their thinking is definitely that coming back simply isn't going to help their draft stock. With respect to Shabazz I think that there is some merit to the argument but I think Boatright can definitely improve his shooting.
If you are not going to get drafted what is the point of leaving even if you do not think another year will help you? Olander is not getting drafted, but he is not "considering" leaving.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom