SF Vance Jackson (Signed LOI on 11/11) | Page 7 | The Boneyard

SF Vance Jackson (Signed LOI on 11/11)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Seems like a terrific young man and very skilled... he would do well with us. I hope he comes.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
I guess I'm spoiled by some awesome mixtapes (especially Jalen's), but I wasn't particularly impressed. He looks like a poor man's DHam. Not much in the way of ball-handling or passing (beyond a couple nice highlights) and a low release point on his shot.
You're both misunderstanding and underrating the kid's passing. Misunderstanding in the DHam comparison, since DHam is a primary/secondary ball-handler, while Jackson is tertiary at best. He's not a playmaker in the way that DHam is.

The video nonetheless showed some nice moments of court vision. First was when he came off a screen on the wing looking to immediately dump into the post, but when that was overplayed, Jackson immediately found his man flashing to the foul line for an open 14-footer. It was a simple play, but a nice one that not all kids can make (I used to scream at Deandre for repeatedly missing that pass).

Second one was when he was in the post. Double team came and so did the first cut, which was overplayed. He waited a split second longer for the second cutter, took a hard dribble away from the lane to drag the defense toward him and open room, then slipped a bounce pass into the pocket for a lay-up.

Third was a rebound and Doron-esque full-court outlet.

With all three passes, it's important to remember that it's a highlight tape. We don't know if these are regular features of the kid's game.

But at the same time, all three are real basketball plays, the type that show a feel for the game and how all the parts work together (or don't). Add in that money jumpshot - which I agree, has a low release - and it's clear why he's a bigtime prospect.

I hope we get this kid. He won't do much as a freshman, but sophomore year and beyond he'll be a really, really good college player. Potentially a better version of Niels.

Reaction Score

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
But at the same time, all three are real basketball plays, the type that show a feel for the game and how all the parts work together (or don't). Add in that money jumpshot - which I agree, has a low release - and it's clear why he's a bigtime prospect.

I hope we get this kid. He won't do much as a freshman, but sophomore year and beyond he'll be a really, really good college player. Potentially a better version of Niels.

I'd take him in a heart beat.

I think he'd benefit in a big way from a strength and conditioning program in college - he reminds me of Preston Shumpert or Michael Redd who were very good in high school, but became something entirely different in college when their conditioning and strength improved markedly.

This is a top-50 kid with upside - we'd be crazy not to want him.

Matrim55

Reaction Score

I think he'd benefit in a big way from a strength and conditioning program in college - he reminds me of Preston Shumpert or Michael Redd who were very good in high school, but became something entirely different in college when their conditioning and strength improved markedly.

Agreed. And I suspect the staff feels the same way.

Reaction Score

Post 131 on this thread I mentioned Shumpert, totally agree. Lord knows if he plays for UConn they way PS played for the fruits against us he'd be an AA.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score

Give us the last visit and it's a wrap. Both Cuonzo and Pastner can recruit, but I think he takes all three visits, so whoever goes last is in the best spot.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Cal is in a great spot here. Let's hope he's committed to taking all three visits...

Reaction Score
Give us the last visit and it's a wrap. Both Cuonzo and Pastner can recruit, but I think he takes all three visits, so whoever goes last is in the best spot.
This is more of a Damon Stoudimire connection than a Pastner. I can't wait till they name Damon our new coach. Pastner is leaving good or bad season anyway.

C

Chief00

I like his outside shot - and that's enough - otherwise don't get me started on other fundamentals. Those can be taugh - bad shooting habits though are very difficult to unlearn, so over - all I like him.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Is Gabriel really better than him?
I liked this a lot.
Noticed the ball left the camera angle on every jump shot. Sometimes the ball was off the screen for what felt like forever. Does his shot have that high of an arc? Or is his cameraman limited? Not that I care, just curious.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Is Gabriel really better than him?
I liked this a lot.
Noticed the ball left the camera angle on every jump shot. Sometimes the ball was off the screen for what felt like forever. Does his shot have that high of an arc? Or is his cameraman limited? Not that I care, just curious.
Different skill sets. Gabriel would be the better rebounder and shot blocker. And he might be a better overall defender. But Jackson might be the better passer and most likely the better perimeter shooter.

The real question to be asking is which player would compliment the existing players better. That's difficult because we don't know who is staying and who is going. Personally I like the idea of having Jackson to go along with Diarra/Enoch/AB/ KF, Gilbert, Adams and Durham more than Gabriel because I would love to have a perimeter shooter to spread the floor for that line up.

Reaction Score
Different skill sets. Gabriel would be the better rebounder and shot blocker. And he might be a better overall defender. But Jackson might be the better passer and most likely the better perimeter shooter.

The real question to be asking is which player would compliment the existing players better. That's difficult because we don't know who is staying and who is going. Personally I like the idea of having Jackson to go along with Diarra/Enoch/AB/ KF, Gilbert, Adams and Durham more than Gabriel because I would love to have a perimeter shooter to spread the floor for that line up.

Bingo fleud - we have Durham/Larrier/Enoch/Diarra (maybe DHam, Brimah still?) so we could use someone who could flip it in from the perimeter for sure. Not saying I wouldn't be really happy if the unexpected occurred but the fit is there for Jackson - different players.

But that's just one aliens opinion.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I don't think Memphis is a realistic threat here, but they just got one of their other wing targets - Ar'mond Davis.

He's a top 10-ish JUCO player - 6'6", 190 from College of Southern Idaho.

Matrim55

Reaction Score
I live in Berkeley and have some contacts in the athletic department. They're very confident about this one.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
I live in Berkeley and have some contacts in the athletic department. They're very confident about this one.
That he'll commit to Cal?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

They should be.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
They should be.
Kind of surprised with so many people having contacts no one knows the date of his OV to UConn. Do you think the tweet is accurate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom