SF Vance Jackson (Signed LOI on 11/11) | Page 45 | The Boneyard

SF Vance Jackson (Signed LOI on 11/11)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
From Borzello on ESPN:

-- Before the weekend visits really get going, we’ll have a top-50 commitment. California scorer Vance Jackson (No. 49) recently officially visited California and UConn and is also considering Arizona and USC, both of which he took unofficial trips to in the past. Word is that Kevin Ollie and the Huskies are the leader heading into the final days, and Jackson could be the next California-to-Connecticut prospect, following in the footsteps of DeAndre Daniels and Daniel Hamilton.

Reaction Score
He should post it to twitter while he's at school, doesn't he want to get more high fives at school? The e-high fives will happen regardless of when he does it

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
So, word is he actually went to school on this exciting day for him. He has been high0fiving a lo of fellow students. On a couple of occasions he mimiced what appeared to be a kind of grizzly bear character with much laughter. No signs of acting like a Husky.
This ain't real right? I wish I didn't have to ask this

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I recall Ashmeade being a big deal, but definitely never lived up to that. I suspect Brian Fair was ranked higher because of his unreal shooting touch. He just wasn't tall enough or athletic enough to translate that consistently to the college level. In HS, though, that kind of shooting touch would rank you pretty damned high.

Ashmeade was actually the best recruit in the class prior, but his standardized test score was dismal and he got prop 48'd to the following year.

He was a fringe top-50 recruit, but he was totally overmatched at UConn. He bounced to Rutgers, but wasn't particularly effective there, either.

Marshall, Ollie and Fair were the three most highly-regarded players in the class. Fair was deceptively athletic - remember that he walked onto the football team in his fifth year before leaving school after being invited to attend NBA tryouts.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Marshall, Ollie and Fair were the three most highly-regarded players in the class. Fair was deceptively athletic - remember that he walked onto the football team in his fifth year before leaving school after being invited to attend NBA tryouts.
I thought Rudy Johnson was above Ollie and Fair - in the 30's maybe?

Reaction Score
I thought Rudy Johnson was above Ollie and Fair - in the 30's maybe?

He was. Everyone forgets about Rudy. I think when we started recruiting him he was #19. The article below was written after he committed and before Donyell and he's listed as the "best of five fine recruits." My brother was attending UConn then and he told me the story of his friends trying to stalk Rudy on his visit by playing "Rudie Can't Fail" by The Clash. That's how much Rudy was coveted. Who knows what would have happened had he not been so injury prone.

http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/archive/?date=19901202&slug=1107197

BUHusky

The original. Accept no substitutes.
Reaction Score
So basically during First Night. That'd be a nice little announcement to make in front of a crowd of fans.
Um, if UConn themselves announced anything during the event that would be a recruiting violation... The school can't officially say a single word about a recruit until they sign their national letter of intent.

Reaction Score
I will never forget the HCC game early one season when Rudy Johnson got undercut while going for a rebound and landed flat on his back. The place fell silent for what seemed forever as they moved him onto a stretcher. It was within weeks of a NY Jets player suffering a serious neck injury.

Reaction Score
He was. Everyone forgets about Rudy. I think when we started recruiting him he was #19. The article below was written after he committed and before Donyell and he's listed as the "best of five fine recruits." My brother was attending UConn then and he told me the story of his friends trying to stalk Rudy on his visit by playing "Rudie Can't Fail" by The Clash. That's how much Rudy was coveted. Who knows what would have happened had he not been so injury prone.

http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/archive/?date=19901202&slug=1107197
Yup Rudy was the best but knee injury robbed him of his athleticism.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
One of you going should definitely bring a sign that says Vance Jackson is a husky. Make it Glow in the Dark too, and then just get someone to monitor twitter and text you.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
How bad is traffic on route 44 or 84 on first night? This is the first year I've had to drive to it.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
I will never forget the HCC game early one season when Rudy Johnson got undercut while going for a rebound and landed flat on his back. The place fell silent for what seemed forever as they moved him onto a stretcher. It was within weeks of a NY Jets player suffering a serious neck injury.

I remember that. Scary.

Reaction Score
Yup Rudy was the best but knee injury robbed him of his athleticism.
Yeah, he really struggled with knee tendentious throughout his UConn career. It's been so long, but I think he might have had a lot of cartilage issues as well where there was some bone-on-bone. As much as they can repair an ACL these days, once there is significant cartilage damage there's only so much that can be done to rid the athlete of the pain and inhibited motion that goes on with that.

With that said, Rudy struggled with his jumpshot from the word go. If my memory serves me, the recruiting gurus all thought he was a solid jump shooter, though he was more athlete and slasher than shooter. When it was clear that he was not going to be the athlete that most has tought, JC tried to use him in different roles, such as a spot up type shooter, but his 3-ball was way off. I think he had some sort of long 0-for from 3 type streak that hurt his chances of getting PT. If he had not struggled with his knees and other injuries, he probably would have carved out a nice role as a slasher and attack the basket type wing.

Regardless to all this, he was a fan favorite and one of my all time favorite players to root for. Throughout all his struggles, he always had a smile on his face and always led the cheering from the bench. Just a class guy all around.

Reaction Score
Um, if UConn themselves announced anything during the event that would be a recruiting violation... The school can't officially say a single word about a recruit until they sign their national letter of intent.

Could probably show the kid's tweet or whatever, right?

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Alright Vance you can undo a lot of bad! Last evening I find out I can't see first night. This morning I pulled my back. This afternoon I met some people. The first guy was meh made worse by telling me he is a Pitt economics and statistics prof. I also met a couple from Cinci. Liked them a lot until I found out they went to the same college as Calipari and really like him.

What a miserable 24 hours. Help me Vance. You're my only hope.

Reaction Score
Per TOS, Jackson to UCONN! Congrats if true!!!!!
The 2015-16 season has yet to begin, but already the UConn Huskies' future looks bright. The addition of four-star sharpshooter Vance Jackson, who announced Friday he was coming to Storrs, Conn. next year, makes it even brighter.

Haven't seen an announcement anywhere but this one seemed to be a fait accompli.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom