SF V.J. King (Louisville Commit) | Page 21 | The Boneyard

SF V.J. King (Louisville Commit)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I knew this was coming,I HATE HIM!!!
You hate someone's high school aged child beause they decided to bounce balls at a school that isn't the school you root for. Seems rational.

Reaction Score
in the Scout article he said the main reason he picked Louisville was the conference, I wonder if that will stop the usual suspects from blaming KO and the staff.
Kids say the darndest things. I would welcome but never expect him to say something like, "I chose Louisville mainly because they gave my ex-Coach a sweet paying assistant job, funneled cash to my high school and aau programs, and will ultimately find 6 figure paying jobs for both my parents."

Reaction Score
agreed, TL is a known commodity, we know what we are getting, King may end up being very good or he can end up like Kelly Oubre
The same Kelly Oubre that is projected to be a lottery pick and, for a top 10 team, averaged 9/5/1 in 20 minutes while shooting 36% from 3? Would truly be an awful existence.

Reaction Score
Kids say the darndest things. I would welcome but never expect him to say something like, "I chose Louisville mainly because they gave my ex-Coach a sweet paying assistant job, funneled cash to my high school and aau programs, and will ultimately find 6 figure paying jobs for both my parents."

Just to be clear, Ville's assistant who was connected to King never coached him, and was already regarded as a top assistant at Indiana before he even arrived at L'Ville. You are making it sound like they pulled a Memphis.

Reaction Score
The same Kelly Oubre that is projected to be a lottery pick and, for a top 10 team, averaged 9/5/1 in 20 minutes while shooting 36% from 3? Would truly be an awful existence.

had the wrong guy in my head bro, which is why I edited my post

Reaction Score
Seems recently enough kids have decommitted from ville for me to wonder how final this decision is

Reaction Score
Just to be clear, Ville's assistant who was connected to King never coached him, and was already regarded as a top assistant at Indiana before he even arrived at L'Ville. You are making it sound like they pulled a Memphis.
They are to good to be mentioned with Memphis. I'd say it falls somewhere between Maryland and Kentucky. It seems to me that more and more its becoming the Wild West and pitino will recruit at any cost.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
They are to good to be mentioned with Memphis. I'd say it falls somewhere between Maryland and Kentucky. It seems to me that more and more its becoming the Wild West and pitino will recruit at any cost.

So any time we come in 2nd place for a recruit, it's because a dirty deal was made?

Reaction Score
Some of you really don't get it. While KO has assembled a decent collection of grad students and transfers and added them to a couple of good recruits in Hamilton and Adams, the reality is that we have lost every recruiting battle for 5 star recruits (based on the ESPN site) over the last three years. The conference excuse is somewhat valid but way overblown. In the last three years Marquette, UNLV, Villanova, Seton Hall, Georgetown and Memphis have all landed 5 star recruits and none of them are in a P5 conference. None of them have won 4 championships recently.

To lose every battle for a 5 star recruit either we aren't cheating as much as everyone else or our coaching staff is doing a crappy job. Pick one. Bad luck or anything else you can come up with is just an excuse. We are talking about too many losses over three classes.

Either we need to take a few escalators or we need to stop hearing about how great of a job other programs are doing, as Fishy said.

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23
Reaction Score
Some of you really don't get it. While KO has assembled a decent collection of grad students and transfers and added them to a couple of good recruits in Hamilton and Adams, the reality is that we have lost every recruiting battle for 5 star recruits (based on the ESPN site) over the last three years. The conference excuse is somewhat valid but way overblown. In the last three years Marquette, UNLV, Villanova, Seton Hall, Georgetown and Memphis have all landed 5 star recruits and none of them are in a P5 conference. None of them have won 4 championships recently.

To lose every battle for a 5 star recruit either we aren't cheating as much as everyone else or our coaching staff is doing a crappy job. Pick one. Bad luck or anything else you can come up with is just an excuse. We are talking about too many losses over three classes.

Either we need to take a few escalators or we need to stop hearing about how great of a job other programs are doing, as Fishy said.
Would signing Alterique Gilbert and Hamidou Diallo (both 5-star recruits on ESPN) shut you up? When have we ever had multiple 5 stars in the same class other than Drummond and Daniels? Both of whom had weird recruiting processes. Chill out.

Reaction Score

Funny that you decided to pick the only recruiting site that fits your narrative.

Jalen Adams
Rivals: 5*
Scout: 5*
247: 5*
Composite: 5*

Daniel Hamilton
Rivals: 5*
Scout: 5*
247: 5*
Composite: 5*

Last edited:
Reaction Score

what the hell is wrong with you?

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score

"What Paesano was trying to say"

..............the guy with the white hair is Fishy

Reaction Score

We know we need a closer. KO. Is a great recruter but he is a coach first, he can't do everything. Conference obviously isnt doing us any favors, and the big east is a much better league, so I wouldn't lump Nova, Hall, Marquette and Gtown in with us. The program should be actively looking for a recruiter with a great pedigree. If we get that, all is gravy IMO

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
If you don't count Hamilton & Adams, we don't have a 5 star in each of the last 2 years, If you add in the year we recruited while being banned and w/o a coach, it is 3 years. And we only won 1 of the 2 national championships we were eligible for during those years.
It is a little like saying w/o Jordan and Pippen the Bulls sucked.

Reaction Score

leave and never come back again

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score

If you decide to exclude 5 start guys we got (Hamilton and Adams) or 5 start guys we eventually got (Purvis, Larrier) in the last three years, then yes, you are correct that we don't get 5 star recruits you decide to exclude.

There are 25 5 star recruits in the 2015 class - we got one (Adams) and had a punchers chance at a couple of others. How many are you expecting with the Kentuckys, Dukes, Kansasa, UNCs etc. out there. 4 in three years, two of which we were crippled with recruiting restrictions, is a dream for almost any but 10 schools.

This is the first year Ollie has been able to recruit without restrictions and he spent a good deal of the early season patching issues with the current class. Let's see how he does with the 16 and 17 class before we decide he can't recruit.

But this far into the recruiting season, if you are disappointed, I don't know what to tell you.

If you want to focus your angst on not getting some 4 star kids that should have been ours and having to settle for 3 star guys, I can understand that a little better. 5 star - we're holding are own or doing better than expected.

Reaction Score
Fair response. But I didn't exclude Purvis or Larrier. I said the staff acquired a decent group of transfers and grad students before I explicitly moved on to recruiting losses for three classes of high school seniors. I picked ESPN because it was the first to pop up. I concede Hamilton and Adams appear to be consensus 5 star players but they were clearly not unanimous. Either way, we have still lost a ton of these battles. In my opinion, more than we should have. And I am not convinced one borderline 5 star guy a year plus some good transfers and grad students is enough. Ollie is a good coach so it might be. If so, this team should make the final four.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom