Seton Hall Postgame Thread | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Seton Hall Postgame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
So happy for ONO. She’s really in a nice place! Although I could do without her 3 point efforts! Can’t wait for the SC matchup to see how much she’s progressed!

Reaction Score
So you think it’s better to criticize players for lackluster performances against really good teams as well as undermining them for great games against weak teams?

UConn needs more fans like U…… :(
Apparently, posters are either in two camps: overly optimistic or can’t see the forest through the trees. Yes, it was positive the team played hard and played excellent defense last night. Should we expect any less? After all, it is the Big East and there is a huge disparity in the talent level between UConn and the rest of the league. After 11 national championships, dominating conference play is the norm. While last night was a step in a positive direction, the true measure of UConn is based on how they match up against the other national heavyweights.

Tomorrow, UConn should win easily against St Johns. SC will be the litmus test to see if the talent level (minus Paige & Azzi) is equal to other powerhouses. The size advantage UConn had against Seton Hall is negated against SC and they have depth on their roster too. Without consistent outside shooting, which UConn sorely lacks, it’s hard to envision UConn coming away with a victory. I’m not being negative, but looking at things realistically.

Moving forward, it’s great to see the team compete, not bemoan their circumstances and continue to fight. We dance with who we bring to the table. If and when the calvary arrives, the odds get recalculated. For now, this is the UConn team that moves forward.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
In the post game presser, Geno said Piath’s defense is ahead of her offense but if she gets the ball in the paint, she can get it up on the rim. He’s very pleased with how she’s progressing and, especially, her new work ethic
Interesting comment, as I thought players coming into college had more of a challenge with defense.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Apparently, posters are either in two camps: overly optimistic or can’t see the forest through the trees. Yes, it was positive the team played hard and played excellent defense last night. Should we expect any less? After all, it is the Big East and there is a huge disparity in the talent level between UConn and the rest of the league. After 11 national championships, dominating conference play is the norm. While last night was a step in a positive direction, the true measure of UConn is based on how they match up against the other national heavyweights.

Tomorrow, UConn should win easily against St Johns. SC will be the litmus test to see if the talent level (minus Paige & Azzi) is equal to other powerhouses. The size advantage UConn had against Seton Hall is negated against SC and they have depth on their roster too. Without consistent outside shooting, which UConn sorely lacks, it’s hard to envision UConn coming away with a victory. I’m not being negative, but looking at things realistically.

Moving forward, it’s great to see the team compete, not bemoan their circumstances and continue to fight. We dance with who we bring to the table. If and when the calvary arrives, the odds get recalculated. For now, this is the UConn team that moves forward.
I think some on the BY are not so disappointed that UConn has been losing seeing the circumstances, the disappointment is in the way UConn has looked in losing. One of the reasons UConn won over so many people was the efficient, smooth way they ran their offense. It was a thing of beauty, even in the half court. Now, it struggles in the half court and UConn looks like any other team now. When Geno gets all the players he wants, we may see that again.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score

I generally agree with your assessment of this season. But I’m not sure I agree with the assessment that posters are either overly optimistic or can’t see the forest for the trees. I consider myself a reasonably knowledgeable basketball fan who can accurately assess the performance of the players.

There are lots of things that someone can find fault with UConn WBB if they so choose: weak conference schedule, struggle against top teams, player inconsistency, etc. I personally choose not to spend my time finding fault with these remarkable young ladies. I will support them in good times and bad. That doesn’t mean I’m naive. It is merely an indication of the type of fan that I choose to be.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Interesting comment, as I thought players coming into college had more of a challenge with defense.
She’s a sophomore so she’s had time to learn

Reaction Score
In the post game presser, Geno said Piath’s defense is ahead of her offense but if she gets the ball in the paint, she can get it up on the rim. He’s very pleased with how she’s progressing and, especially, her new work ethic
I watch Piath closely when she enters. She is a secret candidate of mine to emerge as a star one day. So I am surprised to hear Geno say " her defense is ahead of her offense." Pleased but surprised. When I watched her against the Pirates she looked " lost " on defense I mean, she was in the right spot and had her arms up. But she defended little. Players drove by her easily on the baseline for lay-ups (often missed, but not due to her defense ). Anyway, I defer to coach. It is great to hear that she is working hard and that the effort is earning her court time. Have you heard him remark on DeBerry at all?

Reaction Score
I read these comments and looked at the replay. Granted, The view is better at the game, but Amari wasn’t any slower than her teammates from my vantage point. She has an unusual running style Bb that may look like a jog to some, but she is covering just as much ground as her teammates. Evina was very complimentary in the post game presser; I choose to trust her judgment.
Respectfully, I disagree.
Yes Amari did a few good things.
But, when you’re a top 10 recruit and you are now the last player coming off the bench
it would behoove you to realize that a little extra hustle and commitment
would be in your and the team‘s best interest.
I’m not sure this realization has gotten through.

Some of the things that I noticed:
There was a play when she and Piath were side by side after a turnover.
Piath beat her down the court by 15 feet.
Bad footwork.
Hands not raised.
Low energy positioning to receive the ball at either side of the lane.
Standing flat footed while not challenging a Seton Hall player as she made a layup In front of her.

Geno has sent Amari multiple Auriemmagrams:
Plath is now getting in the game before her and playing more minutes.
Piath is getting more minutes because Geno says her work ethic has changed.
Geno has said that I’m old fashioned. Work hard and you get rewarded.
Don’t work hard and you don‘t get rewarded.
I too trust Evina’s judgment.
No one on this team, especially Evina, would ever publicly criticize a teammate.
What Evina said was that the team has stuck together even the two players
who don’t get much playing time, Piath and Amari.
To slightly paraphrase - They’re staying engaged, keeping positive and they are fun on the team.
Evina made no specific reference or judgment on either player’s performance.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
So happy for ONO. She’s really in a nice place! Although I could do without her 3 point efforts! Can’t wait for the SC matchup to see how much she’s progressed!
She is playing well. I do recall when she hit several outside shots in a row ( Xavier? Butler?). And, to be a truly dangerous player, she needs to drain them. The sad ( frustrating ) thing is; since that one day, her shot from distance has been way off. Be prepared for the South Carolina game to be far more one-sided than the Oregon game. At least we'll have Williams back. But she won't have played in three weeks. Maybe CD will be more relaxed. I mean, the team is improving in fits and spurts, but we are ( without Paige and Azzi ) not at SC's level, by any means.

Reaction Score
But, when you’re a top 10 recruit and you are now the last player coming off the bench

Bad footwork.
Hands not raised.
Low energy positioning to receive the ball at either side of the key.
Standing flat footed while not challenging a Seton Hall player as she made a layup In front of her.

Don’t work hard and you don‘t .get rewarded.

No one on this team, especially Evina, would ever publicly criticize a teammate.
To slightly paraphrase - They’re staying engaged, keeping positive and they are fun on the team.
I will point out, however, that among BIGs....Piath is one of the fastest I have ever seen getting up and down the court. So, by contrast, Amari ( even Liv) will look slow. The lingering question I have is " what is the back story on Amari at UCONN? " Early in the season, coach mentioned that she was "having trouble adjusting"...or words to that effect. So she got off to an exceptionally slow start. What was going on? No one has said a word ( and probably appropriately ). But Amari seems happy now. She smiles; she has energy on the bench; and she seems to appreciate her minutes, when they come. She does not show it like Nika Mühl shows it, but who does? I do concur, that a top ten recruit ( she was that high?) should show more. But maybe that ' slow start' has had an impact she still is working to overcome. Clearly, she is not playing with confidence. She has not yet showed any aspect of " I belong here and I can play here!"

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
, I defer to coach. It is great to hear that she is working hard and that the effort is earning her court time. Have you heard him remark on DeBerry at all?
By not saying anything about Amari, he spoke volumes

Reaction Score
She is playing well. I do recall when she hit several outside shots in a row ( Xavier? Butler?). And, to be a truly dangerous player, she needs to drain them. The sad ( frustrating ) thing is; since that one day, her shot from distance has been way off. Be prepared for the South Carolina game to be far more one-sided than the Oregon game. At least we'll have Williams back. But she won't have played in three weeks. Maybe CD will be more relaxed. I mean, the team is improving in fits and spurts, but we are ( without Paige and Azzi ) not at SC's level, by any means.
Such a different game today than in my era. I’d rather see her more proficient with the mid range jumper, opening up more up fakes and drives. JMO

Reaction Score

I don't see it as an either or. I think few expect our team with what is missing to win against SC. Would we be ecstatic if they do, of course? Will we belittle their efforts if they compete to the level they are able, I certainly hope not? At the beginning of the season, with all players available, the talk was that we were in the conversation to win the NC, along with SC and a couple others. To many of us we saw our chances as as good or somewhat better than the other contenders.

Missing the reigning best player in wcbb, the #1 recruit in the freshman class, a very athletic junior who was expected to make a greater impact this season, at least one starter from the second half of last season apparently struggling to fully overcome a nagging foot injury, a couple transfers and various players in covid protocol at times obviously changes the equation and expectations, wouldn't you say?

Wins would be great especially against quality opponents, that is something we almost expect as UCONN fans given the teams unprecedented historical success, but it shouldn't be win or bust. This group of players showing up and competing to the end, playing to the best of their abilities but coming up short should be applauded by us as fans as well. In that scenario, if these players play that way and play close at SC imagine what we would do against them at full strength.

Yes, Seton Hall or St. Johns are not SC but if our team plays really good games against those teams and builds on what they are doing well, let's applaud them for that. When we do so we are not living in denial imaging these wins equivalent to one against SC, we are affirming that these guys are going out there with a gameplay and successfully realizing it and in doing so each player is honing what they can bring to the mix when, hopefully, everybody is back and we make a final run at the end of the season.

From the Seton Hall postgame: “This is a very weird place we're at right now with people out, everything going on,” Muhl said. “We're going through hell, literally. But we're going to get through it.” And we are right there with you guys Nika!

Reaction Score

Bad footwork.
Hands not raised.
Low energy positioning to receive the ball at either side of the lane.

Don’t work hard and you don‘t get rewarded.
Have you considered the possibility that she may have long Covid and is not completely recovered? I would hesitate to criticize, given what has just taken place. Was she doing what you say she is doing before Xmas break?

Reaction Score
I sense that Amari is still more in the long term plan. Piath is injury depth. Ice and Ayanna are in the mix as well as of course Edwards.

Reaction Score
I think Edwards deserves a shout out. She played very well. I can't get out of my head that Geno ( in an interview ) remarked how Caroline, by far, is the one making all her shots in practice. And yet....in recent games...she can't buy a three. I agree it was great to see Piath and DeBerry. with some quality minutes. It does appear that the hard work put in by Piath is paying off. She seems ahead of DeBerry and really moves well up and down the court. Both seem somewhat unsure what to do on defense.
We will need Edwards in the playoffs. Love the skills that Dorka brings but physical play is not one of them. Against Oregon and other top teams, she is often pushed out of the box under the basket. Would like to see Paith play more in prime time. Her minutes are usually at the end of games when the other team is not doubling the big. That she can make a layup over a player 2-3 inches shorter than her is a step forward but would like to understand what she can do in ONO's role - getting hammered by two defenders every time under the basket. To Edwards, this is normal.

Reaction Score
Have you considered the possibility that she may have long Covid and is not completely recovered? I would hesitate to criticize, given what has just taken place. Was she doing what you say she is doing before Xmas break?
Jordy,
Anything is possible.
My hunch though is that there wouldn’t be any Auriemmagrams if Amari were experiencing any Covid
aftereffects.
And yes, her level of play, with the exception of a flash here and there, has been pretty much the same all season.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I watch Piath closely when she enters. She is a secret candidate of mine to emerge as a star one day. So I am surprised to hear Geno say " her defense is ahead of her offense." Pleased but surprised. When I watched her against the Pirates she looked " lost " on defense I mean, she was in the right spot and had her arms up. But she defended little. Players drove by her easily on the baseline for lay-ups (often missed, but not due to her defense ). Anyway, I defer to coach. It is great to hear that she is working hard and that the effort is earning her court time. Have you heard him remark on DeBerry at all?
I'm not sure what GA is going on about with Piath. She is definitely slow in recognising things on defense. Her offense if obviously ahead of her defense.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I'm not sure what GA is going on about with Piath.
This is just a wild guess, but I think he’s going to “coach her up.” Piath is still a raw talent without a lot of basketball experience. As a sophomore she still has plenty of time to learn and an apparent motivation to do so.

Reaction Score
This is just a wild guess, but I think he’s going to “coach her up.” Piath is still a raw talent without a lot of basketball experience. As a sophomore she still has plenty of time to learn and an apparent motivation to do so.
from what i have seen she can help us now but needs to improve her awareness on defense. i did notice that a couple games ago she was very slow in closing out in a short jumper from about three quarters of the way to the FT line. it looked like she wasn't even sure she was supposed to defend the player. same kind of play against SH and she closed out this time, just a bit too slow on her recognition, but at least she saw it and reacted...so there is improvement there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom