Seton Hall Postgame Thread | The Boneyard

Seton Hall Postgame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the Seton Hall game:
  • Another game, another short bench for the Huskies. It was really, really nice to see all 6 prime time UConn players involved and contributing tonight. Also nice to see Piath & Amari get some run tonight and do some nice things on the court.
  • This was a terrific game for Nika. She harassed SH’s Park-Lane relentlessly. After putting up 30 in two straight games, Nika dogged Park-Lane all night long, holding her without a FG in the 1st half. Nika’s 3 x 3’s were a really nice and somewhat unexpected bonus.
  • It was clear from the start of the game that SH planned to play Liv physically in the paint on D. That was just fine, particularly when Liv put Cooks on the bench in foul trouble.
  • Once again UConn didn’t shoot it well from the arc, particularly in the 1st half with Caroline sitting in foul trouble, but the Huskies made up for that with a great job crashing the boards for second chance points. UConn had 17 offensive rebounds in tonight's game.
  • This was not a mismatch of a game for Liv vs 6’4” Sidney Cooks, a former McD AA. She was fabulous tonight: 17 pts, 13 rebounds, 5 assists, 3 steals, 2 blocks. I am not quite sure just how much better Liv can play, but I’m perfectly willing to find out. :cool:
  • The formula right now for UConn, at least in the BE: tough defense + rebounding + grind it out offense = wins.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Nice win. Glad Geno let Gabriel and Deberry in for some playtimes.

Screenshot (14).png

Reaction Score
Liv has been playing really good basketball this season. She’s been consistent and showed some strength down low in the paint. Her 3 point shots are an added bonus. She’s been super efficient and if she’s not scoring, she’s racking up assists, rebounds or blocks. Great night ending with 17 points, 14 rebounds, 5 assists, 3 steals, 2 blocks.

Nika had a nice night, she needed a game like this to get her confidence back. Good to see her hit some threes.

Evina and Caroline did their jobs, they both need to be more effective from long range though.

Dorka had a good outing, she was making all the shots she was suppose to and was active on the glass.

Piath has really suprised me, she’s really efficient when she’s in, even though it’s usually garbage time. She’s usually pretty smart with the ball and wasn’t forcing anything tonight. She works hard down low, if she keeps working her potential is really high.

Overall a solid team win, especially limiting Park Lane and Hunter to 5 and 6 points.

Reaction Score
Olivia has finally, after almost four seasons, learned not to put the ball on the floor while making a post move. What a difference proper form makes. Maybe Dorka’s example has rubbed off on her. She is so much better with just that adjustment.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Geno talking about execution in the post game interview. What's to say? I think I like the way this team has responded to adversity than when they were trouncing people. They play hard butt basketball. They don't give in whether they're getting crushed, as last game, or winning big as in this.

I want to see more pull ups from the guards. E has her floater (finally), and CD missed two, but Nika never shoots them. I'd like to see the team take more advantage of the size mismatches. But even with bigger teams, CD poses a problem on the block for 90% of teams. UConn's guards need to find her more often.

I feel really sorry for the forwards who work so hard for position in the half court game and in transition and never see an entry pass. Dorka in particular. By the end of the game Dorka has taken such a pounding she stops working off the block.

Geno again tried every kind of action to get shots against the zone. His horn sets were few, and his flash to the foul line was more predominant.

Nice to see Nika hit from the outside. But this team wants to get its outside shooting going so badly they took a lot of unnecessary shots from outside. Against this tiny team they should have worked more inside action.

One of AE problems is balance. That kid hits the floor off of rebounds more than any forward at UConn I've seen. She never stops working though. But playing out of position has taken a toll on her, and her outside shot has been horrible. She did this game however, move her shot closer on her misses, and she made a few.

Liv taking five 3's was almost puzzling to me. But with the guards inability to find forwards in a timely manner on the block I'm hardly surprised.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It was a good game.I’d like to see the team maintain its confidence against all opponents not just the Big East teams
It's much easier to play with confidence against very average opponents..........unfortunately UConn doesn't play against enough quality teams on a consistent basis to test themselves..........

Reaction Score
What was nice for me was watching this blowout, especially since it was not a given going into the game. Holding Park Lane and AEH to next to nothing scoring was a sweet bonus. The Huskies played more like a focused team tonight.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I was hoping to see the Geno/AEH post game interaction but SNY cut from that camera. (I was just wondering and have no other motive.)

Reaction Score
My reaction is "ehhh"... So we beat another Big East, not very good team. Liv was good.. Nice to see Nika make some threes... that could be really important if she keeps it up... CD still needs to stop throwing up 3's so quickly just because she has an open window... she is seldom set with her feet and facing the basket squarely... Nice to see EW make some floaters... now if she can only get back to hitting 3's... A win is a win is a win... and yes, we are very shorthanded... but I still think the players we have can play better than they did...Dorka was good, for the most part... The defense was great.
Paige got a haircut--I hope it helps her rehab... LOL

Reaction Score
I guess with the shooters UConn has it makes sense to hang outside, don't worry about penetration, and just fire up threes.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
The defense is driving the bus right now.

UConn crushed it on the boards. Seton Hall had no chance. Forced Park-Lane to her left all night. Totally took Park-Lane out of her game. Took Espinosa-Hunter out of her game. When the guards did drive in the lane there were two 6' 5" players awaiting them.

Twin towers!!!! Working well with Liv and Dorka on the court together. They dominated down low. The offense looking better every game. We see more balanced scoring - 4 of the 5 starters in double figures. You could see Seton Hall's defensive game change. Nika hitting those 3's was not what Seton-Hall planned for.

The team is gaining some much needed confidence.

Reaction Score
Yeah, it's Seton Hall but Nika had a great game both offensively and defensively. She was a big reason why Park Lane didn't run wild as she forced her left very overtly, and it worked. Hopefully it helps her get her confidence and helps her in the future.

Liv as the player of the game yet again. Really emerging as a major talent. She's really turned the corner it seems.

Caroline can't be great every game. She's human. OMG. I love that she didn't press it. We were winning. She's a team player.

We out rebounded them 53 to 25. Offensive rebounds: 17 to 2. Do you think that just maybe we should do more of this big lineup approach? Especially against South Carolina?

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I'm loving watching Gabriel work. She's money on offense; great footwork and moves. I hope the rest of her game becomes as good. I especially loved that one play when DeBerry fed her under the basket. I hope they both earned more playing time on that play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom