September 2020 UConn Recruiting Thread | Page 7 | The Boneyard

September 2020 UConn Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JS

Reaction Score
Granted there's not a lot of recruiting news right now, but we need to do a better job of staying on topic. NBA talk is off-topic for the whole board, let alone this thread.

[Ignored by some so now boldface] Going to keep a closer eye on the general jousting with visiting fans too. Jousters can find or start an appropriate thread, or not, but this isn't it.

Rather have a torpid thread than one that strays all over the place, such that readers can't find what they're looking for amongst the clutter.

Reaction Score
Granted there's not a lot of recruiting news right now, but we need to do a better job of staying on topic. NBA talk is off-topic for the whole board, let alone this thread.

[Ignored by some so now boldface] Going to keep a closer eye on the general jousting with visiting fans too. Jousters can find or start an appropriate thread, or not, but this isn't it.

Rather have a torpid thread than one that strays all over the place, such that readers can't find what they're looking for amongst the clutter.

"Closer eye" noted. I will stop jousting. Indeed, you could say that I don't actually believe everything I have always pushed, and did so for the purpose of "jousting for fun." Will cease.

Reaction Score
Here's an NCAA decision about recruiting. Looks like no in-person recruiting till 2021. Looks like Tennessee is going to have to forego those glossy (and costly) memory books it likes to give to visiting recruits.

Reaction Score
Not sure why it has not been brought up but thoughts on Azzi going pro out of high school?

Yes I know the education, the banners, the legacy. I don’t want this to get drowned into what a college education can do, we all know. But she’s in a position where she can garner several endorsements, contracts, etc. take a look at Mal Pugh, or Lindsey Horan on the U.S soccer team. I am shocked it doesn’t get talked about enough of Azzi going pro right away.

We now see several NCAAM players including the pro league as in their top 5 or 10.

Could she be the trailblazer?

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Does anyone know if we are in on Maya Nnaji? I saw a list associated with her and UConn was not on it. I really enjoyed watching her in all the Paige videos.

Reaction Score
Does anyone know if we are in on Maya Nnaji? I saw a list associated with her and UConn was not on it. I really enjoyed watching her in all the Paige videos.

No reported "offer" on her big list. She kinda blew up with offers this Summer.

But I get the feeling that Geno doesn't give "offers" out like candy - like some schools do. That doesn't mean he is not having discussions with her and sizing her up next to other prospects. Of course we can assume that he has had some conversations due to Paige.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
No reported "offer" on her big list. She kinda blew up with offers this Summer.

But I get the feeling that Geno doesn't give "offers" out like candy - like some schools do. That doesn't mean he is not having discussions with her and sizing her up next to other prospects. Of course we can assume that he has had some conversations due to Paige.
Maya Nnaji is a very nice player but keep in mind that UCONN has Ice Brady committed for that class. Ice Brady might very well be the "TRUTH"!

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Maya Nnaji is a very nice player but keep in mind that UCONN has Ice Brady committed for that class. Ice Brady might very well be the "TRUTH"!
Agreed, Brady is a great verbal commit. She declares as a post while I see Maya as a classic power forward. I think they could coexist nicely. Betts is reported to have an offer also. Throw Aaliyah, Amari, and an improved Piath into the mix and its possible Geno could send waves of high powered posts into the fray.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Agreed, Brady is a great verbal commit. She declares as a post while I see Maya as a classic power forward. I think they could coexist nicely. Betts is reported to have an offer also. Throw Aaliyah, Amari, and an improved Piath into the mix and its possible Geno could send waves of high powered posts into the fray.
Aaliyah isn't a post but I catch your drift.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

Aaliyah isn't a post but I catch your drift.
I was just getting ready to respond with this same thought. With Aaliyah and Saylor UCONN is going to have 2 very dynamic wings to complement the post players of Ice Brady and Amari. If UCONN adds Barker to that mix, the wing (3) could become the strength of the team.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Where is the Hartley Unit ruler? In this picture, it looks to me as if Amari is at least 8 inches taller than That One. So if the latter individual is 5-11, Amari looks taller than 6-5.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Where is the Hartley Unit ruler? In this picture, it looks to me as if Amari is at least 8 inches taller than That One. So if the latter individual is 5-11, Amari looks taller than 6-5.

Thought we'd already concluded is not 5-11.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I was just getting ready to respond with this same thought. With Aaliyah and Saylor UCONN is going to have 2 very dynamic wings to complement the post players of Ice Brady and Amari. If UCONN adds Barker to that mix, the wing (3) could become the strength of the team.
...and if UConn gets Betts the strength of that team will be the entire starting 5.

Reaction Score

Edwards may see some time at the 3, but she will primarily play the 4 at UConn.

Reaction Score
...and if UConn gets Betts the strength of that team will be the entire starting 5.
"if UConn gets Betts"...for the rest of WCBB, it is all over but the shouting (besides, we all know it'll be bad for WCBB):eek:

Reaction Score
Edwards may see some time at the 3, but she will primarily play the 4 at UConn.
Agree completely, at least for the first year. That is not a critique of her versatility, handle, perimeter shot, or in any way her ability to play on the wing. In fact I think she could be a very good wing and is a probable high draft pick of the WNBA maybe as a wing.

But the here and now is that she is on this Uconn team, that most needs her at the PF and as a part time backup center. My assumptions heading into this season is we have three players we can have confidence will be quality players to play the 4 and 5. Liv of course is one and Aaliyah and Aubrey are the others. Both of the later two can play the wing but are more needed here.

Aubrey is undersized for the 4 but kind of like Gabby makes up for it with her athletic ability, and puts up stats on rebounds and blocks most 4's would love to have. She and Aaliyah between them can give us quality minutes at the 4, without having to go small-ball (Evina or Anna), unless we want to.

The problem is the backup 5. Liv also sometimes gets in foul trouble. If Piath is ready, fine no problem. But most think that is a much bigger question mark, and even if she becomes a rotation player it may take time. So the backup 5 out of necessity becomes a Griffin or Edwards proposition. So if Liv is out and Aaliyah and Griffin are both in the game at the same time isn't Aaliyah the obvious center?

She is significantly taller and much heavier. In fact only Aaliyah has the bulk to bang in the post or hold her position, neither Liv nor Aubrey can be expected to do that. So if those three split most of the "big" minutes, I suspect Liv will get all of hers at the 5, Aubrey almost all of hers at the 4, and Aaliyah will be split between the 4 and the 5.

Now lets look at it from the perspective of the wings. Can Aaliyah or Aubrey play effectively at the 3, sure with some questions about the perimeter shot perhaps, but why would we want them too? Williams, Westbrook and Makurat if healthy can handle those 40 minutes in a three player rotation similar to the bigs. Their styles and abilities are also more similar and interchangeable, and there is potentially one other quality option on the wing. That is Paige if she is in the game at the same time as Nika, which might not happen much but is possible. Regardless if Aaliyah or Aubrey is in the game with any two of the rotation wings, clearly they would be the best choice at the 4 vs. say Evina or Anna.

It is not a question of if Aaliyah or Aubrey can play the wing, but rather with what combination of rotational players would that be the most logical decision. Having said that each year is different, and injuries could change everything.

Next year we get another big to join Liv in Amari. Piath might be making a contribution by then as well. Maybe we don't need 4's to play backup 5, and Aaliyah and Aubrey can be used more on the wing to compliment their 4 minutes. If Westbrook leaves for the WNBA and we don't get you know who, maybe Aaliyah and Aubrey more on the wing will be a better option than a freshman (Saylor or Carolyn) or Mir.

Brady comes the year after when Liv departs, and of course if Betts came we might be more loaded up front than the wings. Uconn has a history of using players as they best suit the team, finding ways for Gabby to be an effective big, and Napheesa a 5 when she was a natural 4. Those cases were also somewhat out of necessity when our recruitment of bigs fell short. This year is similar to that, but in future years our options look more promising for bigs.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
How good and how tall is Barker? I don't remember seeing her name anywhere. I evidently missed it.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

Her list of 9 includes many of the usual suspects. I have seen no indication of UConn having any greater shot than the other 8.

Reaction Score
Agree completely, at least for the first year. That is not a critique of her versatility, handle, perimeter shot, or in any way her ability to play on the wing. In fact I think she could be a very good wing and is a probable high draft pick of the WNBA maybe as a wing.

But the here and now is that she is on this Uconn team, that most needs her at the PF and as a part time backup center. My assumptions heading into this season is we have three players we can have confidence will be quality players to play the 4 and 5. Liv of course is one and Aaliyah and Aubrey are the others. Both of the later two can play the wing but are more needed here.

Aubrey is undersized for the 4 but kind of like Gabby makes up for it with her athletic ability, and puts up stats on rebounds and blocks most 4's would love to have. She and Aaliyah between them can give us quality minutes at the 4, without having to go small-ball (Evina or Anna), unless we want to.

The problem is the backup 5. Liv also sometimes gets in foul trouble. If Piath is ready, fine no problem. But most think that is a much bigger question mark, and even if she becomes a rotation player it may take time. So the backup 5 out of necessity becomes a Griffin or Edwards proposition. So if Liv is out and Aaliyah and Griffin are both in the game at the same time isn't Aaliyah the obvious center?

She is significantly taller and much heavier. In fact only Aaliyah has the bulk to bang in the post or hold her position, neither Liv nor Aubrey can be expected to do that. So if those three split most of the "big" minutes, I suspect Liv will get all of hers at the 5, Aubrey almost all of hers at the 4, and Aaliyah will be split between the 4 and the 5.

Now lets look at it from the perspective of the wings. Can Aaliyah or Aubrey play effectively at the 3, sure with some questions about the perimeter shot perhaps, but why would we want them too? Williams, Westbrook and Makurat if healthy can handle those 40 minutes in a three player rotation similar to the bigs. Their styles and abilities are also more similar and interchangeable, and there is potentially one other quality option on the wing. That is Paige if she is in the game at the same time as Nika, which might not happen much but is possible. Regardless if Aaliyah or Aubrey is in the game with any two of the rotation wings, clearly they would be the best choice at the 4 vs. say Evina or Anna.

It is not a question of if Aaliyah or Aubrey can play the wing, but rather with what combination of rotational players would that be the most logical decision. Having said that each year is different, and injuries could change everything.

Next year we get another big to join Liv in Amari. Piath might be making a contribution by then as well. Maybe we don't need 4's to play backup 5, and Aaliyah and Aubrey can be used more on the wing to compliment their 4 minutes. If Westbrook leaves for the WNBA and we don't get you know who, maybe Aaliyah and Aubrey more on the wing will be a better option than a freshman (Saylor or Carolyn) or Mir.

Brady comes the year after when Liv departs, and of course if Betts came we might be more loaded up front than the wings. Uconn has a history of using players as they best suit the team, finding ways for Gabby to be an effective big, and Napheesa a 5 when she was a natural 4. Those cases were also somewhat out of necessity when our recruitment of bigs fell short. This year is similar to that, but in future years our options look more promising for bigs.
I watched a couple of Edwards highschool games and each time Lattimore got into foul trouble. In both games, Edwards moved to the 5 and was quite comfortable playing in the post and defending taller players. She didn't get into foul trouble in comparison to Lattimore.. . She is about Tina Charles size and played a lot like she does when in the post. Edwards is bigger than you think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom