September 2020 UConn Recruiting Thread | Page 5 | The Boneyard

September 2020 UConn Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
This made me laugh.

What was I thinking? I'm glad I was able to provide you a bit of levity. I should have caught that error the 2 times I proofread that before pressing save. :( It probably won't be the last time.

That should be F-O-U-L-I-N-G. The thought remains the same. She's not going to forget how to block shots after she gets to college. There's a technique to blocking shots without fouling, she's learned it, and it will serve her well at the next level. ;)

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I'm sure our friends from the Golden Dome are all over her as she is from Fort Wayne.
I would be surprised if she leaves Indiana. If She does not go commit to ND, I think there will be some questioning about Ivey's ability to recruit, at this time in her career, if she can't get the top Indiana recruit to commit to ND.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
I would be surprised if she leaves Indiana. If She does not go commit to ND, I think there will be some questioning about Ivey's ability to recruit, at this time in her career, if she can't get the top Indiana recruit to commit to ND.

Eh. I don't think that's fair. For some kids, going to college in their hometown just isn't the experience that they want.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
If She does not go commit to ND, I think there will be some questioning about Ivey's ability to recruit, at this time in her career, if she can't get the top Indiana recruit to commit to ND.

She really hit the ground running and has gotten off to a great start recruiting. I would think that would buy her some good will for a while.

This is completely unscientific, but I would guess it's close to 50/50 on top recruits staying close to home. Different priorities for different recruits.

Reaction Score
She really hit the ground running and has gotten off to a great start recruiting. I would think that would buy her some good will for a while.

This is completely unscientific, but I would guess it's close to 50/50 on top recruits staying close to home. Different priorities for different recruits.
Wow..way to go out on the ledge.... :D

Reaction Score
How does this compare to Geno missing on Boston then following up with one of the best recruiting classes in many years? I think its too early to not give Ivey some runway.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
How does this compare to Geno missing on Boston then following up with one of the best recruiting classes in many years? I think its too early to not give Ivey some runway.
Geno has proven to be an excellent recruiter while Ivey is just starting. I made the post with the thought in mind of reading a number of posts stating that Ivey's name will draw top recruits. If that is true I would think that she would get the top recruit in her state. Personally, I would not question her ability to recruit, but based on posts I've read here, there are those who would.

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score
Geno has proven to be an excellent recruiter while Ivey is just starting. I made the post with the thought in mind of reading a number of posts stating that Ivey name will draw top recruits. If that is true I would think that she would get the top recruit in her state. Personally, I would not question her ability to recruit, but based on posts I've read here, there are those who would.

Ivey, like Kara Lawson will get her share of the top recruits. The schools sell themselves. Both schools have a long and proud history and tradition of academic excellence. Ivey and her coaches know how to recruit elite top ranked athletes.

As you know, some players are predisposed to play for certain coaches, or certain programs. They don’t have to be recruited, just offered, i.e., Aaliyah Edwards or Paige “Buckets” Bueckers.

Reaction Score

Boston is a bad example. She went to HS in Mass but her home is in the Virgin Islands.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Boston is a bad example. She went to HS in Mass but her home is in the Virgin Islands.

Boston was “Shanghaied“ at the 11th hour by Joelette Law, Dawn’s lead recruiter. I have no inside information or personal knowledge about the dynamics that lead up to Boston committing to SC, but I think Law (and Dawn) got Boston through her mother.

Some serious “bonding” went on with player and parent during her recruitment. Many of us thought Boston was a UConn lean (including me). I was as upset over losing her as I was Charli Collier. :(

The deal was sealed during their campus visit when the Boston entourage was received and honored with a no holds bared traditional Virgin Islands dinner (probably with soft island music playing in the background).

Carnac

Reaction Score

Yep!! It’s hard to pry players out of Texas, especially now that Vic Schaefer is at Texas, making that program relevant and attractive again.

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score
Do birds of a feather flock together is the question?

In THIS instance, I sure hope so. They could do some very special things during their 3 years together. :)

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score
Really? You don't find that just a little embarrassing? :confused:
That was the last nail in that season...the No.1 ranking was the last thing standing...and you would be embarrassed ???? Your statement is embarrassing.....

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score
SC is just not a classy program so they have no level of shame and likely will fly that dumb flag and try to convince themselves that they were the best.
You just can't expect UCONN level class from programs way way behind us.
You can't expect a Chevy to perform like a Porsche. Two entirely different levels.
Again...it was the last thing that was standing in seasons end. They were the last No.1 team and that is all you can take from that season. The last team standing at No.1 in a regular season with a tournament would be crowned No.1....you people are so jealous of South Carolina now....wow...They have arrived on the big stage and are now the top dog until someone knocks them off that perch. Deal with it.....

Reaction Score
Again...it was the last thing that was standing in seasons end. They were the last No.1 team and that is all you can take from that season. The last team standing at No.1 in a regular season with a tournament would be crowned No.1....you people are so jealous of South Carolina now....wow...They have arrived on the big stage and are now the top dog until someone knocks them off that perch. Deal with it.....

Trust me, no UConn fan is jealous of SC. Or anyone else for that matter. I agree that they are now UConn’s primary challenger - along with Baylor - supplanting ND for now. The point is that they are too good of a program to be raising banners for pretend championships. Sorry the subtlety was lost on you.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Boston was “Shanghaied“ at the 11th hour by Joelette Law, Dawn’s lead recruiter. I have no inside information or personal knowledge about the dynamics that lead up to Boston committing to SC, but I think Law (and Dawn) got Boston through her mother.

Some serious “bonding” went on with player and parent during her recruitment. Many of us thought Boston was a UConn lean (including me). I was as upset over losing her as I was Charli Collier. :(

The deal was sealed during their campus visit when the Boston entourage was received and honored with a no holds bared traditional Virgin Islands dinner (probably with soft island music playing in the background).
To her credit Dawn made a personal connection with each member of that recruiting class. Apparently Red Velvet Cake sealed the deal with Cooke's family. BTW there is no such thing as "soft" Virgin Island music. :eek:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
To her credit Dawn made a personal connection with each member of that recruiting class. Apparently Red Velvet Cake sealed the deal with Cooke's family. BTW there is no such thing as "soft" Virgin Island music. :eek:

I will live with Geno's approach of unvarnished honesty and directness. If it costs us some prospects, so be it but when it lands Paige Bueckers, I'm good

Reaction Score

That would sum it up: staying close to home vs. a better opportunity at a better program.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I will live with Geno's approach of unvarnished honesty and directness. If it costs us some prospects, so be it but when it lands Paige Bueckers, I'm good
I don't think the approaches are contradictory between Geno and Dawn or any other good recruiter. I don't think either is capable of being dishonest. Both are from Philly-unvarnished is exactly what you will get ALWAYS. I think recruiting for everyone comes down to making a personal connection with the recruit and the family. Cooke didn't make a UCONN visit. If she had I'm sure Kathy and Marciella could have whipped up a Red Velvet cake. Kathy's cannolis and cookies have sealed many recruiting visits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom