September 2020 UConn Recruiting Thread | Page 9 | The Boneyard

September 2020 UConn Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
1. Maryland is close to home, so, if fans are allowed, her family and friends can see her play in person.

2. Maryland is an Under Armour sponsored school. The UA founder and former CEO is an alum of Maryland and SJC. SJC is also an Under Armour school. The AAU team that Tim and Katie run and Azzi plays for is also UA sponsored. So Azzi has played for UA teams in high school and AAU.
She’s sporting a Nike logo in the pic posted above.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
It makes one wonder how much influence (if any) her association with Under Amour will have in her final decision. Will she be allowed to decide where she wants to go without any parental/outside coaxing/prodding?

Does she want to stay close to home (some recruits do), or is she predisposed to join her bff in Storrs?

I can see her announcing her reveal on her November 11 birthday, a day that would be special for her in another way. She can celebrate her birthday and her reveal at the same time. November 11 is also Veterans Day.
Azzi was invited to and won the 3-point shooting contest at the Steph Curry camp the last 2 years. Any guess as to who sponsors Steph?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I just can't see her parents selling her out for a summer league sponsor and some shoes. Especially with no money involved. They seem a lot more honorable than that.
It's not "selling out." It's about loyalty and more. Kevin Plank gave $16 million to SJC. When Azzi becomes eligible, she could sign the biggest shoe contract in the history of women's sports.

Reaction Score
1. Maryland is close to home, so, if fans are allowed, her family and friends can see her play in person.

2. Maryland is an Under Armour sponsored school. The UA founder and former CEO is an alum of Maryland and SJC. SJC is also an Under Armour school. The AAU team that Tim and Katie run and Azzi plays for is also UA sponsored. So Azzi has played for UA teams in high school and AAU.

I would say that the "close to home" factor MAY be stronger this year than usual.

A parent's natural inclination during these crazy times must be to keep their child close to home because of Covid19. If my child tests positive, I want to pick her up and get her home as quickly as possible.

What will be happening in November? Will there be a dependable vaccine? Will there be a spike as we close up doors/windows/selves for Winter? Yes, I know she won't be going to school until next Summer but these considerations would be natural in any parent's mind.

We may even see a rash of decommits and changes this November among other recruits.

I still think she ends up at UConn.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I would say that the "close to home" factor MAY be stronger this year than usual.

A parent's natural inclination during these crazy times must be to keep their child close to home because of Covid19. If my child tests positive, I want to pick her up and get her home as quickly as possible.

What will be happening in November? Will there be a dependable vaccine? Will there be a spike as we close up doors/windows/selves for Winter? Yes, I know she won't be going to school until next Summer but these considerations would be natural in any parent's mind.

We may even see a rash of decommits and changes this November among other recruits.

I still think she ends up at UConn.
Just as the horrific hurricane in Texas caused Charli Collier to decide to stay "home," Covid could cause players to stay closer to home for the next two years or more.

Reaction Score
Thanks DaBball

RankPlayerCountryCommitment
1Awak KuierFinlandPRO
2Anna-Gret AsiEstoniaArizona
3Ilaria PanzeraItalyPRO
4Reka DombaiHungaryPRO
5Emma ChardonSwitzerlandMaryland
6Jade MelbourneAustraliaArizona State
7Adrielly Francisco de OlivieraBrazilPRO
8Sude YilmazTurkeyPRO
9Esther LittleEnglandGonzaga
10Alberte RimdalDenmarkFlorida
11Caterina GilliItaly
12Ymke BrouwerSwitzerlandPenn State
13Georgia WoolleyAustraliaBuffalo
14Urte CizauskaiteLithuania
15Janette AarnioFinland
16Kenya Cote-LysiusCanadaLa Salle
17Kitty HendersonAustraliaColumbia
18Maud HuijbensNetherlandsSyracuse
19Marta Morales RomeroSpain
20Giulia NataliItaly
21Tara WallackCanadaWashington State
22Olivia PollerdAustraliaWashington
23Oumou DiarissoFrance
24Silja ViitaFinland
25Martina SpinelliItaly

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Link to Premier Basketball’s International rankings:

Thanks! Interesting list. Some folks think Kuier is better than Magbegor. I see that she has committed to the pro game.

Jocyte is a fabulous, fabulous player. Geno needs to talk to her.

No one named Makurat or Muhl on the lists?

Reaction Score
It's not "selling out." It's about loyalty and more. Kevin Plank gave $16 million to SJC. When Azzi becomes eligible, she could sign the biggest shoe contract in the history of women's sports.
As a rich guy who "gave" some of his excess money to a couple of schools as Plank did, I would hope he wouldn't expect a show of loyalty in return from a HS kid trying to maximize her development for a career. And I would hope that Fudd and her parents wouldn't base her decision on some guy they may not even know because of where he spent his excess money. And while I think Fudd may develop into a good college player, I don't see her being great enough to warrant a shoe deal since currently nobody including Taurasi or Stewart has one. Ionescu has a Nike personal services contract but no shoe deal as of yet.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Thanks! Interesting list. Some folks think Kuier is better than Magbegor. I see that she has committed to the pro game.

Jocyte is a fabulous, fabulous player. Geno needs to talk to her.

No one named Makurat or Muhl on the lists?

I was surprised to see Agata Makurat off of the list. She was on the U16 national team in 2019 with Kalenik and, IMO, had better stats throughout. And, more recently, their U16 team just won the Polish championship and Makurat was named the MVP of that tournament.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Re "her", my uninformed and idle speculation is that she may be a person (and come from a family) for whom academics are important, and that may lead her to consider Duke (now with Kara Lawson as coach, which Tim Fudd tweeted about when it was announced) or even Notre Dame. But I still HOPE (that's all I can say) that she comes to Storrs.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I would not be surprised if she who shall not be named does not make a decision by the early signing date if she is, in fact, terrible at making decisions as she has said in multiple interviews. Could be like Sabrina and wait until the very last minute.

For those who forgot, or is not aware, Ionescu signed late in the 11th hour. I’m talking 11:59:59. pm. If memory serves, she announced a day or two of classes beginning at Oregon, and was the last player in her class to announce.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I just can't see her parents selling her out for a summer league sponsor and some shoes. Especially with no money involved. They seem a lot more honorable than that.

I agree. The wait for her decision may be simply be as she says, she hates making decisions. or maybe if she waits till Nov 11, when she becomes 18, she takes her parents off the hook with UA since her decision doesn't need their approval.
I would not be surprised if she who shall not be named does not make a decision by the early signing date if she is, in fact, terrible at making decisions as she has said in multiple interviews. Could be like Sabrina and wait until the very last minute.

Or she could wait till April like Wilson.

Reaction Score
Close of the month question regarding "She who is not to be named."

I hear mostly about UConn and Maryland with some hopes from the Notre Dame folks. Even Duke has popped up in conversation lately.

Are there any other schools that are thought to be in the picture? If I'm a college prospect in any sport, Stanford would always be on my mind. Other contenders?

FWIW I believe SCar is completely out of the picture, but don't know that to be absolute fact. Baylor? UNC?

Reaction Score
Thanks DaBball

RankPlayerCountryCommitment
1Awak KuierFinlandPRO
2Anna-Gret AsiEstoniaArizona
3Ilaria PanzeraItalyPRO
4Reka DombaiHungaryPRO
5Emma ChardonSwitzerlandMaryland
6Jade MelbourneAustraliaArizona State
7Adrielly Francisco de OlivieraBrazilPRO
8Sude YilmazTurkeyPRO
9Esther LittleEnglandGonzaga
10Alberte RimdalDenmarkFlorida
11Caterina GilliItaly
12Ymke BrouwerSwitzerlandPenn State
13Georgia WoolleyAustraliaBuffalo
14Urte CizauskaiteLithuania
15Janette AarnioFinland
16Kenya Cote-LysiusCanadaLa Salle
17Kitty HendersonAustraliaColumbia
18Maud HuijbensNetherlandsSyracuse
19Marta Morales RomeroSpain
20Giulia NataliItaly
21Tara WallackCanadaWashington State
22Olivia PollerdAustraliaWashington
23Oumou DiarissoFrance
24Silja ViitaFinland
25Martina SpinelliItaly
Arizona is getting a gem in #2 Gret Asi from Estonia. Excellent shooter from everywhere and very comparable style and skill level to Ionescu coming out of HS.

Reaction Score
About the same odds that the sun will rise in the east tomorrow..

And who else in the '21 class are of interest to UConn fans? There's a non-UConn thread on the sub-board.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Close of the month question regarding "She who is not to be named."

I hear mostly about UConn and Maryland with some hopes from the Notre Dame folks. Even Duke has popped up in conversation lately.

Are there any other schools that are thought to be in the picture? If I'm a college prospect in any sport, Stanford would always be on my mind. Other contenders?

FWIW I believe SCar is completely out of the picture, but don't know that to be absolute fact. Baylor? UNC?
I thought Stanford (former home of Jennifer Azzi) would be a natural fit, but I've heard nothing about mutual interest, and the Cardinal roster appears to be full.

I don't think Baylor was a contender. UNC may have some appeal, especially with Tshitenge there. I don't see S.C. in the current picture. I think UConn and Maryland are the leaders. Possible surprises? Princeton or Europe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom