September 2020 UConn Recruiting Thread | Page 10 | The Boneyard

September 2020 UConn Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I just can't see her parents selling her out for a summer league sponsor and some shoes. Especially with no money involved. They seem a lot more honorable than that.

It's not just an AAU "sponsorship and some shoes", we are potentially talking hundreds of thousands of dollars here. I am not saying that Fudd or her family broke any rules or did anything wrong, but I think you would have to be naïve to think it never happens.

Reaction Score
It's not just an AAU "sponsorship and some shoes", we are potentially talking hundreds of thousands of dollars here. I am not saying that Fudd or her family broke any rules or did anything wrong, but I think you would have to be naïve to think it never happens.
It happens in MBB. You have to be delusional to think “hundreds of thousands of dollars” is there in WBB. This is a sport where ESPN’s chief prognosticator/bracketologist is a pharmaceutical sales rep doing it part time.

Reaction Score
It happens in MBB. You have to be delusional to think “hundreds of thousands of dollars” is there in WBB. This is a sport where ESPN’s chief prognosticator/bracketologist is a pharmaceutical sales rep doing it part time.

You don't think some die hard boosters are willing to pony up a few hundred thousand dollars for the #1 ranked player in the country? Maya Moore's Nike/Jordan endorsement deal was worth close to $5 million, Ionescu's recently signed Nike deal was rumored to worth $3 million, and you really don't think a shoe company would be willing to put up a few hundred thousand to gain the inside track on Fudd?

Reaction Score
You don't think some die hard boosters are willing to pony up a few hundred thousand dollars for the #1 ranked player in the country?

Maya Moore's Nike/Jordan endorsement deal was worth close to $5 million, Ionescu's recently signed Nike deal was rumored to worth $3 million, and you really don't think a shoe company would be willing to put up a few hundred thousand to gain the inside track on Fudd?
You don't think some die hard boosters are willing to pony up a few hundred thousand dollars for the #1 ranked player in the country?
No. They aren’t ever willing to pony up to buy out an unpopular/losing coach’s contract, as is common in football. Don’t see it.

Maya Moore's Nike/Jordan endorsement deal was worth close to $5 million, Ionescu's recently signed Nike deal was rumored to worth $3 million, and you really don't think a shoe company would be willing to put up a few hundred thousand to gain the inside track on Fudd?
Up front, illegally, before college, in a sport where the college game is much more popular than the pro game, and the pro league requires the athlete to remain an amateur for 3-4 years (= no “AF35” shoe or any media promotion for at least 3+ years)? Nope.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
It is more naïve to think that hundreds of thousands of dollars are made available to the parents of prep Girls basketball players. Take that over to the men's board and you will find an audience.

Reaction Score
Could you share what that unique appeal might be other than watching your teammates come and go in Transfer City? ;) Or being able to watch your best friend reap the benefits of the pro prep program at UConn?
I couldn’t agree more with the track record of Maryland. Watching them under achieve with some great recruiting classes is an indictment on the coaching system and head coach. Why so many transfers is a red flag. Other than being close to home I could not imagine Azzi selecting Maryland . I believe she wants to Make a career out of basketball and the best shot to do that is to learn in Connecticut. I may be partial because I am a UConn fan but take a look and how many UConn alumni are in the W .

Reaction Score
Under Armour sure seems to be doing a good job ingratiating themselves with Azzi.

from "The Future is Female" article in Under Armour's 2019 GUAA season preview (pg 8):
Azzi Fudd (1).png

Reaction Score
Under Armour sure seems to be doing a good job ingratiating themselves with Azzi.

from "The Future is Female" article in Under Armour's 2019 GUAA season preview (pg 8):
View attachment 59224

Well maybe UA will give Tim $500,000 under the table. I guess it would be consistent with their other financial behavior. They're on the brink of bankruptcy and are being sued by UCLA because they're trying to pull out of their ill-advised $280 million contract there.

Reaction Score
It is more naïve to think that hundreds of thousands of dollars are made available to the parents of prep Girls basketball players. Take that over to the men's board and you will find an audience.

Right! Like Kelsey Mitchell's father got his job at Ohio State because of his merit, I'm sure his daughter being a top 5 prospect had nothing to do with it. You realize that AAU coaches are paid on average of $44k/year for roughly 4 months worth of work? I would bet that Tim and Katie Fudd are making more than that, which is paid by UA.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You don't think some die hard boosters are willing to pony up a few hundred thousand dollars for the #1 ranked player in the country? Maya Moore's Nike/Jordan endorsement deal was worth close to $5 million, Ionescu's recently signed Nike deal was rumored to worth $3 million, and you really don't think a shoe company would be willing to put up a few hundred thousand to gain the inside track on Fudd?

With millions at stake I doubt Fudd or her family would risk it for a measly couple hundred K.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
No! Hall nah! Sabrina Ionescu is a professional. There is no inside track with shoe companies as it relates to Girls basketball. You are just making that up.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Right! Like Kelsey Mitchell's father got his job at Ohio State because of his merit, I'm sure his daughter being a top 5 prospect had nothing to do with it. You realize that AAU coaches are paid on average of $44k/year for roughly 4 months worth of work? I would bet that Tim and Katie Fudd are making more than that, which is paid by UA.
I know quite a few Girls AAU Girls coaches this claim is outlandish. Please provide a source otherwise I'll continue to think this was a rectal extraction.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
With millions at stake I doubt Fudd or her family would risk it for a measly couple hundred K.

You would think, but literally hundreds of college athletes take pay outs every year!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Sure.
This is severely misleading. An annual salary of $43K equates to an hourly rate of roughly $23/hour.
While I can believe that the average AAU hourly salary is $23/hour. What is not credible is the average AAU coach working the 1880 hours per year that it would take to collect that average annual salary. For the vast majority AAU coaching is a side hustle. Typically AAU coaches expenses are covered and the coaches get a few hundred bucks on top of that per spring/summer.

Reaction Score
This is severely misleading. An annual salary of $43K equates to an hourly rate of roughly $23/hour.
While I can believe that the average AAU hourly salary is $23/hour. What is not credible is the average AAU coach working the 1880 hours per year that it would take to collect that average annual salary. For the vast majority AAU coaching is a side hustle. Typically AAU coaches expenses are covered and the coaches get a few hundred bucks on top of that per spring/summer.
It is ZipRecruiter report. Not sure how they calculate the number.
This is what they have for Big Ten ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69