September 2020 UConn Recruiting Thread | Page 6 | The Boneyard

September 2020 UConn Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I don't think the approaches are contradictory between Geno and Dawn or any other good recruiter. I don't think either is capable of being dishonest. Both are from Philly-unvarnished is exactly what you will get ALWAYS. I think recruiting for everyone comes down to making a personal connection with the recruit and the family. Cooke didn't make a UCONN visit. If she had I'm sure Kathy and Marciella could have whipped up a Red Velvet cake. Kathy's cannolis and cookies have sealed many recruiting visits.

Of course, Geno want recruits to feel at home and show a family environment but I still think the Basketball "pitch" of Geno is pretty unique.

I recall the version Saylor had recounted when asked about Geno's recruitment. She said she asked him what position she thought she would play and Geno said, I have no idea. I won't know until I see you compete with my team and see what you can do and where you fit best. No time or position promises. Perhaps Dawn has reached a level where she feels she can recruit exactly that way but I am not sure. Anyway, SC is here to stay and it seems our best and most interesting rival.

\

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score
Trust me, no UConn fan is jealous of SC. Or anyone else for that matter. I agree that they are now UConn’s primary challenger - along with Baylor - supplanting ND for now. The point is that they are too good of a program to be raising banners for pretend championships. Sorry the subtlety was lost on you.
It's not a "pretend" championship. It would be a factual account of what happened in the college game last year...There is nothing wrong with raising a banner to that end of season accomplishment. The entire WBB was robbed of a chance to compete for a title....You take from it what you will to reward those girls for each and every accomplishment. If you have a problem with South Carolina saying they finished No.1...then you sound "butt hurt"....and yes... a lot of UCONN fans are jealous of what South Carolina is doing in the moment.....they did the same thing in 2017.....The facts remain that last year was what it was.....and in 2017 they were the last team standing....South Carolina, Baylor, and Stanford are going to challenge UCONN on an even field going forward. There will be other programs that will rise to the challenge also. The money is finally getting to the WBB side and that's a good thing.....

Reaction Score
It's not a "pretend" championship. It would be a factual account of what happened in the college game last year...There is nothing wrong with raising a banner to that end of season accomplishment. The entire WBB was robbed of a chance to compete for a title....You take from it what you will to reward those girls for each and every accomplishment. If you have a problem with South Carolina saying they finished No.1...then you sound "butt hurt"....and yes... a lot of UCONN fans are jealous of what South Carolina is doing in the moment.....they did the same thing in 2017.....The facts remain that last year was what it was.....and in 2017 they were the last team standing....South Carolina, Baylor, and Stanford are going to challenge UCONN on an even field going forward. There will be other programs that will rise to the challenge also. The money is finally getting to the WBB side and that's a good thing.....

Again, subtlety is lost on you. Head bang

Reaction Score

I keep reading about SCar being "the last team standing" and ask why? The AP? How about Massey? Massey has Oregon on top. Are they the last team standing? In fact in Massey's lists SCar isn't No 1 in any single factor, power, offense or defense. Now if they were No 1 in all categories you might have an argument but the No 1 ranking last season was far from a unanimous decision.

S Car will undoubtedly be the AP 2021 season preseason No 1. Let's see how they handle the pressure.

Reaction Score

South Carolina raising a banner for last season is LAUGHABLE! You sound like the spokesperson for participation trophies, and trust me, no UConn fan is "butt hurt" or "jealous" of South Carolina! Over time tere have ALWAYS been programs that have tried to knock UConn off the pedestal, from Tennessee, Stanford, and Duke in the 90s, Notre Dame, Baylor, and Tennessee in the 00's, and Baylor, South Carolina, and Notre Dame in the 10's. Through it ALL, UConn has remained top dog! If you think UConn fans care about South Carolina's 1 national championship you are kidding yourself!

Reaction Score
Just for perspective: there have been 43 actual NCAA women's tournaments. Only 17 times did the #1 ranked team win it all approx a 39.5%. Therefore being number 1 going it is in no way a guarantee of a championship.

So I guess we can say that over 60% of the teams that were "the last team standing" took a 10 count when they had to prove it on the court.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Just for perspective: there have been 43 actual NCAA women's tournaments. Only 17 times did the #1 ranked team win it all approx a 39.5%. Therefore being number 1 going it is in no way a guarantee of a championship.
They have not been there enough times to realize that.

Reaction Score
Again...it was the last thing that was standing in seasons end. They were the last No.1 team and that is all you can take from that season. The last team standing at No.1 in a regular season with a tournament would be crowned No.1....you people are so jealous of South Carolina now....wow...They have arrived on the big stage and are now the top dog until someone knocks them off that perch. Deal with it.....

I don't want oit to say the word championship.

Just

"Final #1"
"32-1"
and put our two seniors names on it. We want the other to get a trophy, not just a banner.

Reaction Score
We didn't take from it. Show us who take it away. You don't have the champion and nobody can take it. Act like a man don't like a kid constantly asking candy.

Jealous? for what? I don't even watch South Carolina games.

South Carolina is the #1 team before the tournament. But they are not the champion because there is no tournament. Nobody can guarantee South Carolina will win the tournament. Don't make yourself like a fool.

South Carolina has 2 top 10 WNBA draft 2020. If they are so good why no one wins the ROY?

Reaction Score
LOL. I remember Baylor with Griner , dominating women's college basketball during the year, then losing in NCAA's. UConn was undefeated and virtually anointed #1 but lost on last minute shot. I agree its not a "pretend championship" since there is no championship in any way, shape, or form.

Reaction Score
Of course, Geno want recruits to feel at home and show a family environment but I still think the Basketball "pitch" of Geno is pretty unique.

I recall the version Saylor had recounted when asked about Geno's recruitment. She said she asked him what position she thought she would play and Geno said, I have no idea. I won't know until I see you compete with my team and see what you can do and where you fit best. No time or position promises. Perhaps Dawn has reached a level where she feels she can recruit exactly that way but I am not sure. Anyway, SC is here to stay and it seems our best and most interesting rival.

\
I believe being the Olympic/World championship National Team Head Coach has its advantages as well. Tara took a year off from NCAA coaching to help seal the victory in the Olympics back in the 1990's, Geno's run was amazing [was not necessary for Geno to take time off & helped him close the gap in coaching wins], as was the UCONN alums on each team, and now Dawn....

The assistant coaches tend to fare well as well....

Reaction Score
We didn't take from it. Show us who take it away. You don't have the champion and nobody can take it. Act like a man don't like a kid constantly asking candy.

Jealous? for what? I don't even watch South Carolina games.

South Carolina is the #1 team before the tournament. But they are not the champion because there is no tournament. Nobody can guarantee South Carolina will win the tournament. Don't make yourself like a fool.

South Carolina has 2 top 10 WNBA draft 2020. If they are so good why no one wins the ROY?

I've had my run-ins with this poster along with another South Carolina fan on here. I guess for a while we'll have to live with their bizarre posts and a lack of understanding as to what's going on. When he or she speaks of "jealousy" that';s they type of comments you can expect from this poster.

They have a terrific team for the foreseeable future.

Now back to the thread-- and waiting on Azzi to announce wherever she may decide to go.

Reaction Score

Honestly you’re beating a dead horse with this one. You and I both know they will never admit their envy (even though it’s sometimes obvious) especially on this board lol. Trust when I say SC fans are completely fine with it. It’ll make things all the more better when we finish our Unfinished business this year. :D

CompSci87

Stanford fan
Reaction Score
I don't want oit to say the word championship.

Just

"Final #1"
"32-1"
and put our two seniors names on it. We want the other to get a trophy, not just a banner.
How about "Final AP Poll #1"?

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
Honestly you’re beating a dead horse with this one. You and I both know they will never admit their envy (even though it’s sometimes obvious) especially on this board lol. Trust when I say SC fans are completely fine with it. It’ll make things all the more better when we finish our Unfinished business this year. :D
Personally I thought Oregon was the best team in the country, woukd have won it all had they the chance, and were the ones shafted considering their seniors. If you took a poll probably most Byers felt that way. So who are we jealous of and for what?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

Just stop with the envy nonsense. It's 11 to 1. We'd all rather be us (11) than you (1).

Reaction Score
SC would have to have over 2 decades of excellence for uconn fans to even be remotely jealous of them.

Reaction Score
SC would have to have over 2 decades of excellence for uconn fans to even be remotely jealous of them.
Just stop with the envy nonsense. It's 11 to 1. We'd all rather be us (11) than you (1).

I said what I said and like I said these ladies have unfinished business. Period. Can’t wait for the matchup this year :p

Reaction Score

That's an interesting stat. I thought last spring between South Carolina, Baylor and Oregon, one of them wouldn't make it to the final four. A lot happens in the rounds of 16 & 8. Look at Arizona State beating Oregon & Oregon State in the same weekend. A team gets hot for a game and a couple of opposing players have a bad game, down goes Goliath. UConn? Unless they got a break or two probably would have went down in the round of 8. (Just being realistic)

If you don't win the Championship game then you are not the Champion. There is no debate beyond that. If you want a trophy, go sign up for youth soccer (no knock to soccer), everyone gets a trophy.

Geno will always play anyone, anytime, anyplace. You don't see the other top teams doing that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom