Senior Night 4 participants | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Senior Night 4 participants

Reaction Score
I don't think E was a part of senior day festivities last year even though she could have left but said she was coming back, just like Dorka. We will see.

Reaction Score
We still have time to encourage her to come back. Hope she visits the Boneyard.
I had such high hopes for her next season. Had her penciled in as ONO's replacement in the lineup. If she leaves we are super thin in the post. I can't imagine going against teams like South Carolina with just Edwards, Piath, and Amari.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I had such high hopes for her next season. Had her penciled in as ONO's replacement in the lineup. If she leaves we are super thin in the post. I can't imagine going against teams like South Carolina with just Edwards, Piath, and Amari.
+ Ice Brady + Ayanna Patterson + a Sophomore Amari . I hope Dorka returns but if she doesn't IMO, the front line rotation of Edwards + Brady + Patterson + Amari is potentially better than the current three player post rotation of Dorka, ONO and AE. Keep in mind that ONO also has an option to return and there is this major wild card called the transfer portal. This is the same transfer portal which produced Dorka and Cardosa last season.

Reaction Score
If Dorka chooses to move on after this season, I will absolutely wish her the best. Amari & Piath will have the opportunity to step up next season. If they don’t, there are 2 extremely talented freshmen who will be more than happy to assume major roles in UConn’s frontcourt. The competition for PT between Aaliyah, Amari, Piath, Ice, Ayanna and hopefully Aubrey will make everyone better.
I disagree mildly on one minor detail. I think Aubrey will be needed as depth behind Azzi and Caroline at the two wings. Nika is a point guard and UConn needs more than four guards, particularly if someone is injured. I know the transfer portal is an option, but realistically who is going to come to a team that already has Paige, Azzi and Caroline? Not a lot of minutes left there.

Reaction Score
So you have no faith in our two super Freshmen?! I also wonder how SC feels about going against Paige, Azzi and Caroline.

Reaction Score
SC already beat UConn by double digits with Paige, Azzi, and Caroline, so they probably feel pretty good actually.
I have it on double secret authority that

1. SC players are having trouble sleeping. The have been heard mumbling Paige, Azzi and Caroline under their breath.

2. Dawn has been texting everyone to be sure they use the right ball and to lobby for the non-championship that she feels should have been awarded.

3. And the SEC is investigating whether UConn can be banned from the tournament because Storrs is so close to Bristol.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Look at what happened to Sue Bird. She was leaning toward retiring. After losing last year at home in what would have been her final game, fans started chanting, “One more year,” with Diana chiming in. Within a week, Sue was talking to her trainer about getting ready for 2022.

I flew up to Hartford for the G’town and Marquette games, but will not be at Gampel on Sunday. So, I’m leaving to you folks. Bring signs, get Paige involved, and shout, “One more year! One more year!” Make Dorka feel loved and wanted.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Two factors that may be weighing on Dorka's decision
1) Perhaps a European pro league is offering her good money to come home
2) There is instability in Eastern Europe and Hungary does share a border with Ukraine. A hurricane made Charlie Collier want to stay in Texas. Would a war in Europe affect Dorka?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I disagree mildly on one minor detail. I think Aubrey will be needed as depth behind Azzi and Caroline at the two wings. Nika is a point guard and UConn needs more than four guards, particularly if someone is injured. I know the transfer portal is an option, but realistically who is going to come to a team that already has Paige, Azzi and Caroline? Not a lot of minutes left there.
Aubrey is another versatile athlete that can play a number of positions for the Huskies. My overriding hope is simply that she’s able to come back healthy.

Reaction Score
It's a really interesting decision Dorka has on her hands. I've been a fan this season, and it's been great to see her play all year. I think in fairness, no one knew exactly what role she would play when she came in, and in UConn fashion she wasn't promised anything. Could she beat out ONO and start, would she play alongside ONO, would she come off the bench? Ironically enough she has been able to do all three. Yet, I still kind of feel like her role changing as we speak. Just a couple weeks ago she had back to back 20+ point games, including one on the road against Marquette where she was seemingly one of our only offensive options. Yet, she is now the 3rd big in the rotation and in minutes.
Regardless, I still think she did get better throughout the season and improved her skills. I don't think she has done as much ball handling, and passing as she has done this season, and it's proven to be a strength.
I'm not sure if the things that she needs to get better at are things that you can improve over the summer or season. She doesn't seem to have the best hands (fumbles passes a bit, or can't control the ball in close quarters), and finishing inside through contact she has really struggled all season. It seems that she's not 100% comfortable banging down low and scoring inside. It may just not be her skillset, and she may not be able to improve on such things. If those things are hard to improve on, then leaving makes sense.
Let's not forget that Geno once said Dorka has a lingering injury that hasn't gone away and they are trying to watch her minutes....except when they don't have any choice (like when ONO went out for a few games). She has grown comfortable and has a good thing going with Azzi.....her defense has improved. But what is it with her and Aaliyah - they keep falling down a lot fighting for the ball in the post.

The coach is hedging his bets by playing Amari and Piath more in the 4Q as they win big these past several games.

Reaction Score
Interesting comment, since Azzi was playing injured and Caroline didn’t play.
Azzi still played 10 minutes in a game where three of the starters almost went the full 40, and it was ultimately the coach's decision not to use Caroline. South Carolina also lost Raven Johnson for the year about a week before our game if we're going to go down the injury rabbit hole. I prefer to say South Carolina beat us fair and square and leave it at that. No injury excuses, no the ball was too orange excuses, etc. If we meet again we'll see what happens as both teams are improved since that November game, but I'm pretty sure they're not afraid of or apprehensive about playing UConn as they already know they can beat us.

Reaction Score
I understood the plan this year was to play Aubrey more at guard (wing) since the post was getting crowded and will get more so next year, if Dorka stays.

Reaction Score
While I certainly hope she stays, UConn will be far stronger up front than most teams they will face next year baring any transfers........Cunningham is the only upgrade available in the 2023 class at the post and many have doubts she's leaving the left coast.........of course if Toomey comes to UConn adding an athletic 6'4" forward would be good enough for me......:)
To create an effective post of Dorka/ONO's quality takes years. Dorka is now just beginning to be as good as she may get.
Jessica Moore, from Alaska, took 2 or so years for CD to make her an OK post.
We look at 2 very nice kids. Athletic posts, if with a lot of PT and time to begin to be ONO or better. We cheer them, they deserve it. But they as Dickie V would say, they are not yet ready for Prime time. The Portal Post may be a shorter process.

Reaction Score
If Dorka chooses to move on after this season, I will absolutely wish her the best. Amari & Piath will have the opportunity to step up next season. If they don’t, there are 2 extremely talented freshmen who will be more than happy to assume major roles in UConn’s frontcourt. The competition for PT between Aaliyah, Amari, Piath, Ice, Ayanna and hopefully Aubrey will make everyone better.

Reaction Score
Two factors that may be weighing on Dorka's decision
1) Perhaps a European pro league is offering her good money to come home
2) There is instability in Eastern Europe and Hungary does share a border with Ukraine. A hurricane made Charlie Collier want to stay in Texas. Would a war in Europe affect Dorka?
interesting

Reaction Score
Even if Dorka doesn’t return, a front line of Edwards, DeBerry, Ice, and Patterson isn’t too shabby.
You are probably correct by the end of next season. Few kids are Paige, Fudd, Caroline that hit the floor running, scoring and defending. Posts, few in the past--even Dolson, throw at Griner as a Frosh, took time and help to become DOLSON. Tina, tough as nails, became TINA as a JR. Jessica Moore took much more time.
I sincerely hope you are correct. But I'd rather have Dorka return

Reaction Score
Caroline didn't play in that game, Azzi, Nika and Dorka were all nursing summer foot injuries and soon after were on the bench for a few games. I'd love to play them again healthy.

Azzi still played 10 minutes in a game where three of the starters almost went the full 40, and it was ultimately the coach's decision not to use Caroline. South Carolina also lost Raven Johnson for the year about a week before our game if we're going to go down the injury rabbit hole. I prefer to say South Carolina beat us fair and square and leave it at that. No injury excuses, no the ball was too orange excuses, etc. If we meet again we'll see what happens as both teams are improved since that November game, but I'm pretty sure they're not afraid of or apprehensive about playing UConn as they already know they can beat us.
Absolutely, they won the first game, absolutely they don’t fear us, absolutely we would like to see a second game.

But in the spirit of “they put their pants on one leg at a time, we’re gonna dance with who brung us and the ball don’t lie,” nothing we say here will have an iota of effect on the outcome. Let’s see what happens from here on out.

Be well...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom