Senior Night 4 participants | The Boneyard

Senior Night 4 participants

Reaction Score
It's a really interesting decision Dorka has on her hands. I've been a fan this season, and it's been great to see her play all year. I think in fairness, no one knew exactly what role she would play when she came in, and in UConn fashion she wasn't promised anything. Could she beat out ONO and start, would she play alongside ONO, would she come off the bench? Ironically enough she has been able to do all three. Yet, I still kind of feel like her role changing as we speak. Just a couple weeks ago she had back to back 20+ point games, including one on the road against Marquette where she was seemingly one of our only offensive options. Yet, she is now the 3rd big in the rotation and in minutes.
Regardless, I still think she did get better throughout the season and improved her skills. I don't think she has done as much ball handling, and passing as she has done this season, and it's proven to be a strength.
I'm not sure if the things that she needs to get better at are things that you can improve over the summer or season. She doesn't seem to have the best hands (fumbles passes a bit, or can't control the ball in close quarters), and finishing inside through contact she has really struggled all season. It seems that she's not 100% comfortable banging down low and scoring inside. It may just not be her skillset, and she may not be able to improve on such things. If those things are hard to improve on, then leaving makes sense.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Amazing. Sometime in the last couple of weeks, one of the UConn "beat writers", and it was posted here on the BY, asked Dorka about next season and the answer was that she was definitely coming back. I guess most things about this team are day to day.

Reaction Score
It's a really interesting decision Dorka has on her hands. I've been a fan this season, and it's been great to see her play all year. I think in fairness, no one knew exactly what role she would play when she came in, and in UConn fashion she wasn't promised anything. Could she beat out ONO and start, would she play alongside ONO, would she come off the bench? Ironically enough she has been able to do all three. Yet, I still kind of feel like her role changing as we speak. Just a couple weeks ago she had back to back 20+ point games, including one on the road against Marquette where she was seemingly one of our only offensive options. Yet, she is now the 3rd big in the rotation and in minutes.
Regardless, I still think she did get better throughout the season and improved her skills. I don't think she has done as much ball handling, and passing as she has done this season, and it's proven to be a strength.
I'm not sure if the things that she needs to get better at are things that you can improve over the summer or season. She doesn't seem to have the best hands (fumbles passes a bit, or can't control the ball in close quarters), and finishing inside through contact she has really struggled all season. It seems that she's not 100% comfortable banging down low and scoring inside. It may just not be her skillset, and she may not be able to improve on such things. If those things are hard to improve on, then leaving makes sense.
If Dorka is looking to improve her status for the W staying another year would be beneficial. With Liv gone next year Dorko would get way more playing time at the true post. I agree that her hands are somewhat suspect but she is strong when posting up and can learn better positioning and additional moves. When Azurá Stevens transferred in she was mostly an outside big. Geno had her playing down low and it benefited her overall skill set which came into play during the draft for the W. I believe had Stevens Stayed the additional year Connecticut would have won another title. If Dorko leaves this year Connecticut will be weak at the post. A E is more a power forward than a true post and Amari And Piath Have not shown true post ability for a national championship team. Long story short we need Dorko to stay. But I don’t have a good feeling.

Reaction Score
"Say it ain't so Dorka!" Shades of "Shoeless" Joe (1919,
but a bad analogy I realize)
That said...... I'm betting/ hoping/ praying that she
stays....... love her enthusiasm and contributions to the "team".

Reaction Score
I'm curious where she would go in the WNBA draft. So far she hasn't been included in any mock drafts that I've seen. She could definitely benefit from another year of experience (and visibility) playing at UConn, but she's probably weighing that against who the other post competition is in next year's draft or maybe playing professionally in Europe.

But I hope she comes back.

Reaction Score
My question is:
Who was recruited to replace Olivia in the cycle of player development?
I get the feeling that Dorka is soon to depart.
Portal players ( Azure, Dorka) seem to be one and done plug-ins, just passing through.
Next year will be Paige’s 3rd at UCONN.
Who’s going to occupy the middle and be EFFECTIVE next year and the year after?
Aayliah? Only adequate now, needs another year.
Deberry? Still looks lost-at least another year away, if ever.
Piath? See above.
Or does Paige graduate with only one ring?

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Well this doesnt sound good. Could Dorka maybe stay one more year anyway. Im sure we will hear very shortly, now, that this has come out. It really doesnt sound good. If she leaves we have Amari who could take Livs place up top distributing the ball with Edwards down low. We also have Ice and Patterson coming in and they will need time to learn Genos system. Not sure what Geno will do but we do have height which will need experience. Amari 6'5 Paith 6'5 Edwards 6'3 Ice 6'4 Patterson and Caroline 6'2. All we can do is wait and see if Dorka comes back.

Reaction Score
Dorka has options to play in Europe….she can be a EU player for a top team
Hopefully she will stay but the Azura reference looks like is similar to what Dorka is going to do….love her energy and class….
Geno might reach again into the portal for another big…

Reaction Score
While I certainly hope she stays, UConn will be far stronger up front than most teams they will face next year baring any transfers........Cunningham is the only upgrade available in the 2023 class at the post and many have doubts she's leaving the left coast.........of course if Toomey comes to UConn adding an athletic 6'4" forward would be good enough for me......:)

Reaction Score
I hear there is a great post player at DePaul that will (in my estimation) be looking for a new home.........

Reaction Score
My question is:
Who was recruited to replace Olivia in the cycle of player development?
I get the feeling that Dorka is soon to depart.
Portal players ( Azure, Dorka) seem to be one and done plug-ins, just passing through.
Next year will be Paige’s 3rd at UCONN.
Who’s going to occupy the middle and be EFFECTIVE next year and the year after?
Aayliah? Only adequate now, needs another year.
Deberry? Still looks lost-at least another year away, if ever.
Piath? See above.
Or does Paige graduate with only one ring?
College sports, especially basketball, is pretty much year to year; and I’m sure the other Uconn players (whoever they are) will really dedicate themselves going forward so Bueckers doesn’t have to suffer through life with only one ring.

Reaction Score
Well this doesnt sound good. Could Dorka maybe stay one more year anyway. Im sure we will hear very shortly, now, that this has come out. It really doesnt sound good. If she leaves we have Amari who could take Livs place up top distributing the ball with Edwards down low. We also have Ice and Patterson coming in and they will need time to learn Genos system. Not sure what Geno will do but we do have height which will need experience. Amari 6'5 Paith 6'5 Edwards 6'3 Ice 6'4 Patterson and Caroline 6'2. All we can do is wait and see if Dorka comes back.
can a senior who has a year remaining and is staying still participate in Senior Night with the seniors that are leaving ?

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
I hear there is a great post player at DePaul that will (in my estimation) be looking for a new home.........
There's no way Morrow is going anywhere. She's a Chicago kid, her sister is on the team, and she is absolutely killing it under Bruno's tutelage. And, honestly, we should want more players like her sprinkled around the BE to lift the entire conference.

Reaction Score
I believe Dorka had and acl injury prior to starting her collegiate career. As reported, she has been banged up this year and sometimes not able to practice. She may be thinking about her body and long term career goals. Perhaps this is a way for her to hear whether coming out this year makes sense WNBA wise. When teams hear kids may be available info begins to leak out about where they would go or if they need to work on things to improve their prospects.....maybe she hears those things and decides getting drafted makes sense or maybe it doesn't and decides to return. This year's draft isn't particularly strong but that 2019 class whew

Reaction Score
Why all the predictions? One never knows what can happen with other top team players….injuries are a big factor…other personal issues come into play….etc etc
The future is now.
And if you listen to the so called pundits….no need to go through the process South Carolina is already crowned as Champions….remember what happened to Griner and Baylor with Louisville ….the road to a Crown can get very thorny…..I am an optimist and believe in tradition….UCONN can win it all….hard road but a realistic road.

Reaction Score
If Dorka is looking to improve her status for the W staying another year would be beneficial. With Liv gone next year Dorko would get way more playing time at the true post. I agree that her hands are somewhat suspect but she is strong when posting up and can learn better positioning and additional moves. When Azurá Stevens transferred in she was mostly an outside big. Geno had her playing down low and it benefited her overall skill set which came into play during the draft for the W. I believe had Stevens Stayed the additional year Connecticut would have won another title. If Dorko leaves this year Connecticut will be weak at the post. A E is more a power forward than a true post and Amari And Piath Have not shown true post ability for a national championship team. Long story short we need Dorko to stay. But I don’t have a good feeling.
I made the same connection to Azure that you did.

I thought Azure could have benefited from another year to improve her post play and defense. But she went to the W where she put in three apprentice years instead. I only watched a little of the finals this year but her D has improved; her post play not so much.

After watching Stewie for four years, I sort of expected that every big could learn to play in and out the way she did. I have to remind myself that Azure, Dorka et. al. do not have Stewie’s incredible talents but can be more than good enough in their own way.

Good luck to Dorka if she goes...

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
If Dorka chooses to move on after this season, I will absolutely wish her the best. Amari & Piath will have the opportunity to step up next season. If they don’t, there are 2 extremely talented freshmen who will be more than happy to assume major roles in UConn’s frontcourt. The competition for PT between Aaliyah, Amari, Piath, Ice, Ayanna and hopefully Aubrey will make everyone better.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom