semi-OT: Louisville | Page 8 | The Boneyard

semi-OT: Louisville

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
That doesn't make any sense though. Why would anyone pay to shake Terrance Williams hand nowadays?

Poor, confused guy. He probably thinks those strangers dropping change in his cup are doing so for a picture.

Reaction Score
Wes is probably a little lighter in the wallet now after spending time with Rex Chapman in that 2014 picture ;)

Reaction Score
Especially if she might even find herself in jail for this.

No doubt she will be the first one to be prosecuted, and well she should. However, aside from the NCAA angle on all this, many of these recruits were under age, so there are a number of criminal charges possible for the GA and any other staff involved.

Reaction Score
random thoughts

why would the ho go public? is she a UK fan? :)

Rick may not have known, ...

I think if there is one time when a HC knows what his players/prospects are doing, it's on a recruiting visit to your campus. Every single minute is planned and choreographed. There is no way Pitino didn't know.

Reaction Score
I don't really hate Louisville, but Jurich is one of the most insufferable ADs out there. After how much he patted himself on the back post-realignment,
I'm gonna enjoy watching him flail during this.

Reaction Score
I think if there is one time when a HC knows what his players/prospects are doing, it's on a recruiting visit to your campus. Every single minute is planned and choreographed. There is no way Pitino didn't know.

"eyyyy come on, all I said to them was 'make sure you show this kid a good time on campus!' (wink wink) how they translate that is not my fault"

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Just checked out the Louisville Scout board to see the latest. Good Grief. They are circling the wagons and viciously attacking the whistle blowers. I'd love to hear @Senore 's take on the reaction of the fanbase. Feels kind of ugly.

Reaction Score
If this kind of stuff is going on in many places, which I tend to believe, what does it take to land the top recruits?

As much as we want to say basketball program/pedigree or education, there are 'other' important factors, depending on the individual teenager of course. In no particular order and not all apply:
  • Pretty girls and plenty of them
  • Partying
  • Sense of brotherhood
  • Campus Life (cafeteria, happenings, etc.)
  • Privacy (think not getting caught doing whatever)
  • Drugs/Drinking
  • Fun/Good Times, things to do in the area
Remember these are teenagers (many of them jocks) that we are talking about, and the above are neither good or bad. Its just usual freshman transition to independence stuff. Interesting however that Sophomore and upperclassmen' needs change or perhaps maturity kicks in. Freshman athletes certainly benefit from partnering with a student mentor. Its the immature/wild/irresponsible athletes and those that are not used to freedom who are most vulnerable and influenced.

If a student can master the art of discipline they will have no problems. Regretfully I was not that type of kid.

Reaction Score
As much as I'm looking forward to the NCAA rightfully destroying UNC and Louisville (it should), I'm not optimistic. UConn got a silly 1 year post-season ban for APR (and we know what a joke that deal was). One would think that if kids who actually WENT to class and got low grades received a 1 year postseason ban, UNC, with its knowledge and intent to deceive for more than a decade, should receive multiples of that - a multi-year postseason ban, vacated championships, etc. Same with Louisville, this is so disgusting the NCAA needs to implement a multi-year postseason ban and bring down the championship banner. Sadly, I think losing championships and stiff penalties is the only way these coaches (and let's not forget the complicit AD's) get the hint.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
No doubt she will be the first one to be prosecuted, and well she should. However, aside from the NCAA angle on all this, many of these recruits were under age, so there are a number of criminal charges possible for the GA and any other staff involved.

Age of consent 16 in Kentucky. She might face charges against being a 'Madam' (felony), if they can get concrete proof. Tax fraud is a definite possibility, as I'm certain she never paid taxes, at the bare minimum, on that 10k transfer.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Age of consent 16 in Kentucky. She might face charges against being a 'Madam' (felony), if they can get concrete proof. Tax fraud is a definite possibility, as I'm certain she never paid taxes, at the bare minimum, on that 10k transfer.
Probably not. It was $10k over how many years? Are we certain that her other known income exceeds the filing minimum? They got Capone on taxes. Powell? Probably not.

Reaction Score
As much as I'm looking forward to the NCAA rightfully destroying UNC and Louisville (it should), I'm not optimistic. UConn got a silly 1 year post-season ban for APR (and we know what a joke that deal was). One would think that if kids who actually WENT to class and got low grades received a 1 year postseason ban, UNC, with its knowledge and intent to deceive for more than a decade, should receive multiples of that - a multi-year postseason ban, vacated championships, etc. Same with Louisville, this is so disgusting the NCAA needs to implement a multi-year postseason ban and bring down the championship banner. Sadly, I think losing championships and stiff penalties is the only way these coaches (and let's not forget the complicit AD's) get the hint.

I agree; but 1) the NCAA seems to be afraid of taking away championships as seen with Syracuse (had the Orange dead to rights; but, somehow decided that no violations were found the 1 year that they won) and 2) did not stop Kentucky from hiring Coach Cal who has cost 2 schools (UMass and Memphis) from losing Final 4 visits showing that winning (and making money) are far above anything else.

Reaction Score

I was thinking that they were going to get her on blackmail.

Surely she blackmailed someone before doing this.

She surely could not count on proceeds from a book.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
Just checked out the Louisville Scout board to see the latest. Good Grief. They are circling the wagons and viciously attacking the whistle blowers. I'd love to hear @Senore 's take on the reaction of the fanbase. Feels kind of ugly.
Hard to think many message board fan bases would react differently. This is their entire program, recent past and future, at stake here.
Doesn't make it less ugly, obviously.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Probably not. It was $10k over how many years? Are we certain that her other known income exceeds the filing minimum? They got Capone on taxes. Powell? Probably not.

I think it was more than that. I thought there was one wire transfer for 10k.

Reaction Score
I'm shocked shocked I tell you that this goes on. There have been rumors of coaches hiring hookers for recruit, and recruits' fathers, for ever. Going back to the 70s some Texas schools supposedly did it for football recruits. I think it was part of the SMU scandal but was overshadowed by the payoffs. That it goes on at Louisville is hardly shocking. That Pitino gets away with his Sgt Schultz routine isn't shocking either.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Yes, that would be the right thing; but remember the ratings are the primary concern.

Reaction Score
I still just don't get this. When recruits visit they normally stay with a player in the dorm as a student who just graduated a few years ago I can say at night they usually go to parties around campus. Its not really that hard for a top recruit to find a lovely partner for the evening without needing to pay. I'm sure that this did in fact happen but it just seems so dumb, why take the risk.

Reaction Score

Age of consent only matters regarding criminal liability for the dudes who slept with them. They're still legally minors, which makes it human trafficking if they're being prostituted.

Reaction Score
Age of consent only matters regarding criminal liability for the dudes who slept with them. They're still legally minors, which makes it human trafficking if they're being prostituted.

He was saying the recruits were underaged. Not the prostitutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom