• Shade

• El Alfy

• Samuels

• Strong

• Ziebell

• Cheli

Results are only viewable after voting.
Reaction Score
Strong also is a good big line up choice too. She could easily move to the 3 if you wanted to go big with 2 bangers like some combination of Jana, Ice, and Yanna at the 4 and 5. Then put like Paige and Azzi at the guard positions. We haven't been able to do something like that since 2015.
I will bet heavily against Strong ever playing the 3 this year.
The experience and depth is with the guards.

Reaction Score
I predict that Sarah will show up on campus in the best shape of her life and that we are going to be shocked at how she looks! Obviously, I have no inside info but that is my prediction based on what I have seen of her. She clearly is a special talent, has had an exceptional upbringing, is a high character individual, and desperately wants to be great! That, in my opinion, suggests that she is working nonstop to prepare for the next four years! She is also clearly very intelligent and will likely want to fully take advantage of the presence of Paige this season! Ipso facto, Sarah will show up in top shape!

Reaction Score
I predict that Sarah will show up on campus in the best shape of her life and that we are going to be shocked at how she looks! Obviously, I have no inside info but that is my prediction based on what I have seen of her. She clearly is a special talent, has had an exceptional upbringing, is a high character individual, and desperately wants to be great! That, in my opinion, suggests that she is working nonstop to prepare for the next four years! She is also clearly very intelligent and will likely want to fully take advantage of the presence of Paige this season! Ipso facto, Sarah will show up in top shape!
I would imagine she’ll be on campus tomorrow or Sunday and I imagine she’ll look exactly how she did today which is perfectly fine for me. She looked to be in great shape, especially considering they played 5 games with no sub. we just need Sarah to show up and be Sarah.

Reaction Score
I'm not disagreeing with what you're saying, but come on ... common sense dictates that Paige OWNS her starting position. What would you expect Geno to say, he's a coach who wants every member of his team to fight for a starter spot.
Can you imagine the explosion on the BY, and elsewhere, if Geno doesn't start a healthy Paige? Kaboom!

Reaction Score
I would imagine she’ll be on campus tomorrow or Sunday and I imagine she’ll look exactly how she did today which is perfectly fine for me. She looked to be in great shape, especially considering they played 5 games with no sub. we just need Sarah to show up and be Sarah.
Sarah looks lean and very fit. I think Geno’s staff will be very pleased.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I think she’ll go home for the holiday weekend then head to campus

Reaction Score
I think she’ll go home for the holiday weekend then head to campus
Possible though not pragmatic imo. Either way my point remains the same, she’s going to look exactly how she looked this week and that’s something to celebrate!

Reaction Score
If I knew how, I would change my Brady vote to Strong, based on her performance in the 3X3. I originally had Ice starting because Geno usually gives the edge to the experience that Brady has had last year, but I think Strong might be just too good to start on the bench.

Reaction Score
I will bet heavily against Strong ever playing the 3 this year.
The experience and depth is with the guards.
I will mostly agree with this, but not use the word "ever". I think there could be some circumstances where she might be used there. In many ways Paige, Azzi, and Sarah might be the best 1-3 combination possible, but it doesn't matter, because we would likely have at least one much weaker player at the 4 or 5.

When Aubrey returns and/or Ayanna or Ice makes a major leap from their first year performance, this would be more possible but right now Sarah is needed more at the 4, even if in future years she could find more time at the 3, particularly if we land Somfai for example.

Reaction Score
This roster doesn't really matter who starts, it is more important who should be on court at the most crucial moments but that depends on the opponent, whether more offense is needed or more defense. The players certainly understand this. But since Coach will look at everything knowing that this is Paige's last year, Aubrey's too, Caroline's still iffy health and uncertainty about what Azzi will eventually decide re: staying or leaving for the WNBA, there are lots to find out about which combinations offers the best floor and ceiling potential and then how to develop capabilities and chemistry of the rest with NC in mind as the forever goal. Right now, taking everything into account, the combination that, to me, offers the best potential (everything taken into account) is:

Paige, Azzi, Sarah, Jana and Kaitlyn.

Though Paige and Azzi haven't played together much at UConn, they have long practiced together at UConn and on their own, so their chemistry is not in question and when healthy their scoring potential is unmatched. They are both healthy now. Azzi has shown to be a fairly good defender and Paige has improved a lot, even against forwards. Coach would want to find out early what they can finally do together plus, he knows that Paige recruited Azzi so they can play together. This is their last chance as two top-ranked recruits to play together.

Incoming, Sarah does everything you want a point forward to do, very well indeed: pass, shoot, defend and rebound, albeit against players her age both at home and internationally. Given this, Coach would want to find out whether she can translate those skills against older, many more skilled competition. If she succeeds, it maximizes that position's effective contributions to go along with her 3 level offense.

Jana offers the size with a well-rounded skill set to go along with an aggressive and focused approach to the game on both sides of the ball, that no one else in the team can. Similarly, Coach would want to find out quickly with an eye to accelerate her development and integration with the team. She, too, has a 3 level offense.

I was thinking of KK as the primary ballhandler but I decided that Kaitlyn's experience and IQ are important elements to develop chemistry with the rest for another stabilizing hand in the most crucial moments against tough opponents, especially during tournament time. This would allow KK to grow at a better pace than last year while coming off the bench. As the year progresses, if her play shows she is able to contribute more or something than Kaitlyn, nothing will stop the Coach from giving her more time.

All 5 can shoot from long and mid range and can also drive. They are all fast enough to play with the pace UConn wants.

After that, Coach can do what he wants: use a hockey substitution pattern, mix and match to give everyone minutes against weaker opponents, etc. But he can also change the mix depending on whether he wants a pressing defense. For this, Aubrey's and likely KK's numbers will be called.

If hockey subbing, the next five can also be good on offense and defense, and able to shoot from distance. If Caroline is cleared, that next five could be Ice, Caroline, Aubrey, KK, and Ashlynn.

Good luck Coach in trying to give everyone minutes, mostly during the regular season to develop them just in case they will be needed come tournament time.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We are all fascinated with size and want it fully represented on the court, so much so that we scan the recruits for 6'7" post players. However, we should not forget one important fact about Coach G's preference: to play fast. Bigs who are slow both in running the floor and reaction time will be more hindrances than assets. The ideal positionless team that Coach G sometimes talks about might be at least 3 6'2" - 6'3" players with enough heft and strength to hold their own in the post (if you could have a Gabby Williams type athlete or two among them, so much the better) and another two in the 6'0" range.....all can handle the ball, have 3 level offense, pass well, fast afoot and rebound well, high BB IQs.

If lucky enough to have such a team, I would put them against any team with traditional big girls who move as normal big girls do.

Come to think of it, the 2002 starting 5 came closest to that combination.....and they did fairly well, didn't they?

Aside from Jana - who is a luxury (big, can run, good on both sides of the ball) - there are enough players on this roster who would fit the specifications.....but Paige, Azzi and Sarah are constants along with Jana for potentially the best combination. You could choose to have Ice for them to match any big team they will face or you could choose to have Aubrey to have a pressure defense to go along with the firepower, or you could choose Kaitlyn or KK as primary ballhandlers while also be able to press.

The biggest learning for this team is the read and react defenses they shift from one to another, depending on the opponent.....because it is a new combination.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm not disagreeing with what you're saying, but come on ... common sense dictates that Paige OWNS her starting position. What would you expect Geno to say, he's a coach who wants every member of his team to fight for a starter spot.

If we were using common sense we wouldn't be naming a starting team weeks before the 1st official practice. It's as we are telling players not to try too hard because the boneyard knows who will play and who will sit.
I think practices this preseason will decide things. I don't think Geno says these things for PR reasons alone or to motivate players.
I also think Bueckers will start. But then I also believe she is a demi-goddess and above the judgement of ordinary humans. Luckily for UConn Geno doesn't share my opinion.

Reaction Score
If we were using common sense we wouldn't be naming a starting team weeks before the 1st official practice. It's as we are telling players not to try too hard because the boneyard knows who will play and who will sit.
I think practices this preseason will decide things. I don't think Geno says these things for PR reasons alone or to motivate players.
I also think Bueckers will start. But then I also believe she is a demi-goddess and above the judgement of ordinary humans. Luckily for UConn Geno doesn't share my opinion.
OK, those 2 quips made me laugh. Very good Mr. Horse (of course).

Reaction Score
Day 1 imo.

El Alfy, Strong, Bueckers, Chen, KK. Azzi, I believe will eventually start. No one is a better practice shooter than Azzi. And Geno has revealed as much in previous seasons.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom