• Shade

• El Alfy

• Samuels

• Strong

• Ziebell

• Cheli

Results are only viewable after voting.
Reaction Score
I'm assuming this was from last year? He was instructing Nika at times and I saw Amari in there. Nice video, but not relevant for this season... unless your point was he's not sure who's starting... that does make sense!

My point was that right now everyone is equal in the eyes of the coaches. The only relevance that the past will have in October is the skills and experience the players gained then that may pay off once the competition for a starting position begins. Starters from last year do not get extra credit for prior years.

Reaction Score
My point was that right now everyone is equal in the eyes of the coaches. The only relevance that the past will have in October is the skills and experience the players gained then that may pay off once the competition for a starting position begins. Starters from last year do not get extra credit for prior years.
Words stated by coaches, are good motivating tools for the team to hear, but if 100% healthy (which appears doubtful at this time), I would find it extremely difficult to believe that Fudd, Ducharme & Aubrey (all former starters and proven elite players) wouldn't be given "extra credit". That's nearly like telling Paige she has to earn her position. LOL.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I think most schools have already started unofficial practices which is exciting on its own!
Intent: In women's basketball, to specify that an institution shall not commence on-court preseason basketball practice sessions prior to 5 p.m. on the date that is 40 days prior to the date of the institution's first regular-season contest; further, to specify that an institution shall not engage in more than 30 days of countable athletically related activities prior to its first regular-season contest.

Reaction Score
Words stated by coaches, are good motivating tools for the team to hear, but if 100% healthy (which appears doubtful at this time), I would find it extremely difficult to believe that Fudd, Ducharme & Aubrey (all former starters and proven elite players) wouldn't be given "extra credit". That's nearly like telling Paige she has to earn her position. LOL.

Bueckers will have to earn her starting position. If she misses a practice to attend a photo shoot I'd almost bet that she wouldn't play the next game. But she is who she is because she doesn't slack off at all, ever. So I would say she's a lock to start but only because wouldn't miss a practice any sooner than a certain Duke fan would miss a meal. :D

Reaction Score
Intent: In women's basketball, to specify that an institution shall not commence on-court preseason basketball practice sessions prior to 5 p.m. on the date that is 40 days prior to the date of the institution's first regular-season contest; further, to specify that an institution shall not engage in more than 30 days of countable athletically related activities prior to its first regular-season contest.

Ok well all these schools are posting about practice starting this week so take it up with them not me lol

Duke:

Tennessee:

I'd imagine the UConn ladies are practicing in a similar capacity at this point.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Bueckers will have to earn her starting position. If she misses a practice to attend a photo shoot I'd almost bet that she wouldn't play the next game. But she is who she is because she doesn't slack off at all, ever. So I would say she's a lock to start but only because wouldn't miss a practice any sooner than a certain Duke fan would miss a meal. :D
Sorry, I don't want to beat a dead horse here, but Paige does NOT have to earn her starting position. It's her to lose and that isn't going to happen (meaning there is no other player on the team going to beat her out). Please don't take things to extreme and make up things that aren't going to happen. We all know that Paige, nor any of the players I mentioned, wouldn't do anything contrary than what is appropriate. They would, of course, set a perfect example and get permission from Geno and his staff before doing anything as you suggest.

Reaction Score
Sorry, I don't want to beat a dead horse here, but Paige does NOT have to earn her starting position. It's her to lose and that isn't going to happen (meaning there is no other player on the team going to beat her out). Please don't take things to extreme and make up things that aren't going to happen. We all know that Paige, nor any of the players I mentioned, wouldn't do anything contrary than what is appropriate. They would, of course, set a perfect example and get permission from Geno and his staff before doing anything as you suggest.
I think @Alydar was making a joke. It's a reference to a joke Geno made a couple years ago when reporters were pressing him on when Paige would be ready to return in her sophomore year. He said, "Of course, she'll have to earn her minutes in practice." All the reporters laughed.

Reaction Score
I think @Alydar was making a joke. It's a reference to a joke Geno made a couple years ago when reporters were pressing him on when Paige would be ready to return in her sophomore year. He said, "Of course, she'll have to earn her minutes in practice." All the reporters laughed.

I wasn't joking. Of course Bueckers will start but if she were to give half-hearted effort in preseason practice she wouldn't. I give that an almost zero probability of happening. I've followed Bueckers' development since her 2nd year of HS and not giving 100% just isn't in her makeup however I don't think Geno has been blowing smoke about this for 40 years. Players are told that practice performance is directly proportional to minutes. Recruits who ask about minutes are quickly removed from UConn's recruiting list.

I think it's amazing that fans don't believe Geno on this point.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Ok well all these schools are posting about practice starting this week so take it up with them not me lol

Duke:

Tennessee:

I'd imagine the UConn ladies are practicing in a similar capacity at this point.

All this stuff is pretty easy to find online

Beginning July 20, required summer athletics activities may begin and can last up to eight weeks or until the school's first day of classes or Sept. 15, whichever is earlier. Required virtual nonphysical activities can continue to be conducted during this period. Virtual and in-person activities cannot exceed a combined eight hours per week.

Reaction Score
All this stuff is pretty easy to find online

Beginning July 20, required summer athletics activities may begin and can last up to eight weeks or until the school's first day of classes or Sept. 15, whichever is earlier. Required virtual nonphysical activities can continue to be conducted during this period. Virtual and in-person activities cannot exceed a combined eight hours per week.

I know that. That is why I called them unofficial practices!

Reaction Score
Paige, Shade, Chen, Strong, Jana.

Paige - yep.

Shade is a very safe pick - lots of minutes last season, reliable, good at everything.

I am guessing that Azzi will be ready to go to start the season but will be on a minutes restriction, which suggests to me that she will be utilized as the "microwave" off the bench. I think Azzi will be starting by the second half of the season though.

KK will also provide great energy off the bench but Chen has more experience and has shown herself more than capable of competing and scoring at the highest levels of WCBB. We need scoring options against the top ten teams. She gets the nod over KK, who could start for all but a handful of teams.

If Strong is anywhere near as good as advertised, she will start on day one. Number one recruit, with comparisons being tossed around to some of the best of the best.

Ice will contribute although it is preferable to have her as a size option off the bench, especially if Ayanna is still iffy. Jana and Ice should also see some time on the court together.

I may be overestimating Jana's abilities in including her as a starter, but I doubt it. She appears to be the real deal. By the time the season starts, the achilles injury will be well over a year ago.

It will be interesting for sure. How will the health issues resolve? Can the new players make an immediate impact? Will the rookies from last season make a big jump or not? As always, perhaps more so, expect the unexpected.
I had the same 5, with the same rationale, except for Ice instead of Jana. That was due to health concerns and experience level.

Reaction Score
I wasn't joking. Of course Bueckers will start but if she were to give half-hearted effort in preseason practice she wouldn't. I give that an almost zero probability of happening.
Sorry I misunderstood you. Of course, your point is the same as Geno’s joke. He says with a grin they she’ll have to earn playing time and everyone there roared. That’s because they knew he meant there’s no way she wouldn’t give a billion percent every moment she’s on the court in practice or in game play.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Of course, it was a joke since anyone in their right mind would not leave her off the starting line-up. But to reinforce this, Paige has always said that basketball is her first priority, and any NIL stuff would have to be worked around her basketball stuff. Paige is committed and that will never change.

Reaction Score
I thought Alydar was joking in that post! 100% agree with you!

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
To even discuss Paige not starting is just silly, especially citing possible "lack of effort". Why even discuss the possibility of her "giving a half hearted effort"? Goodness. Of all the potential issues to discuss with this team this season, that's so far out of the realm of possibility that I can't even believe someone actually said it.

Of course PT is earned in practice, but come on.

There's about as much a chance of that happening as Paige declaring for the 2025 WNBA draft now, and foregoing her last season.

Reaction Score

This discussion was about how Geno picks his starting team, by past performance or by pre-season performance. I have a video of him telling last year's team in September that the next 6 weeks (mid-Sept-Oct) would determine starters and minutes. Those who think last years starters have an edge due strictly to incumbency provided no supporting evidence yet. So unless you have a quote from him about a player owning their spot you are mistaken. A healthy Bueckers will start, but not because she owns her spot but because she will earn it in every practice. That's one reason I love her.

Reaction Score
The more I see of Sarah in the 3x3 tournament, the more sure I am she will start at the 4, and the more I factor in what other players would most compliment her skill set. I think that bodes well for Azzi as soon as she is healthy, and Jana as even more likely to be the starter at the 5.

Obviously Sarah has both a nice three point shot and great passing instincts. She can play inside, but certainly can play on the perimeter as well. That makes a go to low post scorer at the 5 much more valuable, because Sarah can stretch the defense with her shot and be effective feeding the post as well. Jana is aggressive around the basket, Ice so far has not been, or shown much ability to score down low, even though I think she has that ability. Jana appears to pair better with Sarah IMO.

As for , playing with two other floor spacers and great passers (Paige and Sarah) should help her game tremendously also. Once she is healthy I think the starter debate boils down to who is the 5th player to go with Paige, Azzi, Sarah and Jana. That doesn't have to be the next best player necessarily, but could be what traits you need most and/or who fits best with the other 4. With so many good candidates, we can hope one of them truly breaks out from the pack. Whoever gets that spot will probably have to be significantly better than they have been, if a returnee, or greatly exceed expectations if they are a newcomer.

Reaction Score
This discussion was about how Geno picks his starting team, by past performance or by pre-season performance. I have a video of him telling last year's team in September that the next 6 weeks (mid-Sept-Oct) would determine starters and minutes. Those who think last years starters have an edge due strictly to incumbency provided no supporting evidence yet. So unless you have a quote from him about a player owning their spot you are mistaken. A healthy Bueckers will start, but not because she owns her spot but because she will earn it in every practice. That's one reason I love her.
I'm not disagreeing with what you're saying, but come on ... common sense dictates that Paige OWNS her starting position. What would you expect Geno to say, he's a coach who wants every member of his team to fight for a starter spot.

Reaction Score
Strong also is a good big line up choice too. She could easily move to the 3 if you wanted to go big with 2 bangers like some combination of Jana, Ice, and Yanna at the 4 and 5. Then put like Paige and Azzi at the guard positions. We haven't been able to do something like that since 2015.

Reaction Score
Strong also is a good big line up choice too. She could easily move to the 3 if you wanted to go big with 2 bangers like some combination of Jana, Ice, and Yanna at the 4 and 5. Then put like Paige and Azzi at the guard positions. We haven't been able to do something like that since 2015.
Wouldn't have been great if Ayanna healthy? I don't think what we saw in her frosh year was anything near what she was in H/S in terms of athleticism.

When Aubrey comes back, once healthy, she is a terrfic/tremndous fit for Sarah too.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom