• Shade

• El Alfy

• Samuels

• Strong

• Ziebell

• Cheli

Results are only viewable after voting.
Reaction Score
I don't see Chen starting instead of KK. Off the bench she can sub for Paige, Shade or KK.
The versatility helps, but Paige's versatility is even more important in that regard. If Geno wants to put in a PG for a SF or visa versa it usually isn't a problem. For example if Caroline, Q, or say Morgan was at the 3, then KK or Chen could replace them if needed. The reason is if Caroline or someone else who more a natural 3, is in the game then Paige is probably playing the 1. Bring in a 1 and take out a 3, no problem because Paige just moves to the 3.

Basically as long as Paige remains in the game you can substitute any perimeter player for any other perimeter player even if their skill-set and best natural position is quite different. Paige is our best player at 1-3, and except for Sarah maybe at the 4 as well. Now when Paige is sitting (not often) the versatility of Chen and other outside players becomes more important.

Geno had a situation where his hands were largely tied last year as far as strategic or situational substitutions were concerned. He had to go with what he had, and substitutions were made more based on needed rest than game strategy. This year he can much more of a game coach, because he has great versatility, mostly because of Paige, and a much deeper bench.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I'm answering this as of Game 1 in November, based on what we know about injury recovery. I see that a handful of folks agree with me on all 5, though my picks are not the highest ranking.

I am pleased that all 131 voters so far see Paige as a starter. She's the likely NPOY, especially if the team record is excellent.

In addition to Paige, I see Kaitlyn starting. She was a 3-year starter at Princeton (Covid wiped out her first year) and was Conference POY as a junior. She's experienced and highly versatile, strong on both ends of the floor. I don't think Geno recruited her to play her off the bench for the single year that she will be at UConn.

I think Ashlyn also starts, in a 3-guard rotation. She's more versatile and a better shooter than KK, in my opinion. Though KK started last year, I think she comes off the bench as a spurt of energy. She has 3 years remaining and will be a starter next year. By about January, Azzi should be a starter.

I don't think Geno uses a 4-guard rotation. That was done out of necessity this past season. If she were available, Aubs could get this slot, but I think Sarah is a starter. She's THAT good. She can score, rebound, and pass. I think we need the size. Maybe Aubs will start when she's healthy.

I see Jana as the starter at center. She is the tallest and most skilled. She's also very physical. Ice will back her up and also play some power forward.

My guess is that Azzi and Aubrey will not play in Game 1, but should be back 1-2 months later.

Reaction Score
Should probably add position to the poll. If the 5 best players all play the same position, 4 aren't starting.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
I'm answering this as of Game 1 in November, based on what we know about injury recovery. I see that a handful of folks agree with me on all 5, though my picks are not the highest ranking.

I am pleased that all 131 voters so far see Paige as a starter. She's the likely NPOY, especially if the team record is excellent.

In addition to Paige, I see Kaitlyn starting. She was a 3-year starter at Princeton (Covid wiped out her first year) and was Conference POY as a junior. She's experienced and highly versatile, strong on both ends of the floor. I don't think Geno recruited her to play her off the bench for the single year that she will be at UConn.

I think Ashlyn also starts, in a 3-guard rotation. She's more versatile and a better shooter than KK, in my opinion. Though KK started last year, I think she comes off the bench as a spurt of energy. She has 3 years remaining and will be a starter next year. By about January, Azzi should be a starter.

I don't think Geno uses a 4-guard rotation. That was done out of necessity this past season. If she were available, Aubs could get this slot, but I think Sarah is a starter. She's THAT good. She can score, rebound, and pass. I think we need the size. Maybe Aubs will start when she's healthy.

I see Jana as the starter at center. She is the tallest and most skilled. She's also very physical. Ice will back her up and also play some power forward.

My guess is that Azzi and Aubrey will not play in Game 1, but should be back 1-2 months later.
What you outlined comes closest to my view, though I will equivocate that neither Sales, nor Ralph, Taurasi or M. Moore started at first, despite being a cut above all the others in their class. It could be that Brady starts at first instead of Strong. That’s not something I would bet on, but possible given past history of how Auriemma has employed #1 talent.

Majic Hands

https://www.neumi.com/jkvetter
Reaction Score

I’ve similar thoughts as you.

I picked ice over Sarah for two reasons. Experience with the UConn system and I saw Ice get it done when Aaliyah wasn’t available.

As of now I’ll only be surprised if Paige doesn’t start on day one.

Reaction Score
I’ve similar thoughts as you.

I picked ice over Sarah for two reasons. Experience with the UConn system and I saw Ice get it done when Aaliyah wasn’t available.

As of now I’ll only be surprised if Paige doesn’t start on day one.
I'm with you on Ice. But wouldn't it be cool if Sarah and Jana and Azzi started on day 1? I mean it would mean something wonderful was in the offing!

I mean, if anyone other than the usual suspects started, that would be awesome. For example, if Q starts, it would have to mean she showed Geno something amazing in October.

Reaction Score
As with most of the other posters, the starting five could vary during the season depending on the health of the team. So my first game prediction is as follows.
Paige at the 3
Shade at the 2
KK at the 1
Strong at the 4
Ice at the 5
This is based on the finish of last year and recovery from injuries which is not known yet.
I like if all are healthy
Paige at the 3
Azzi at the 2
Chen at the 1
Strong at the 4
Jana at the 5

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
200 minutes 14 players on the roster, if all healthy a nice problem to have. ElAlfy, Brady, Strong, Griffin, Patterson all front line people.
Paige, Azzi, Shade, KK, Chen, and the rest back court and wings. The if factor of health and when are they ready is key. Time will resolve
it all. As UConn fans we are blessed to have that talent and Geno and Chris, Jamelle, and Tonya(?) apologies I forgot the other assistant.
Geno Auriemma - Head Coach
Chris Dailey - Associate Head Coach
Jamelle Elliot - Assistant Coach
Morgan Valley - Assistant Coach
Tonya Cardoza - Assistant Coach
Ben Kantor - Assistant

Reaction Score
I was thinking about Azzi's recovery. I remember Paige waited almost a full year until she was cleared. She didn't play right away in Europe. Everyone is different but I wonder if Azzi takes a full year to be fully cleared (which would mean December) and then a couple weeks to play. That would probably be the USC game or slightly before it. This is all hypothetical of course.

Reaction Score
In the spirit of Coach Dale, I got my four-- Azzi, Paige, Jana and Sarah.

Odds for the 5th spot, likely Ash, because Coach trusts her- "reminds me of Shea." -unless either Ice or Ayanna can channel the grit of Jamelle,.

Aubrey is the spark plug, best off the bench- KK can be the same.

Kaitlyn? I think Coach picked her up for the Tourney. You need that one player who is inured to pressure in big games- hopefully, Kaiitlyn's that player.

Would love to see Q surprise everyone. -)

Reaction Score
I was thinking about Azzi's recovery. I remember Paige waited almost a full year until she was cleared. She didn't play right away in Europe. Everyone is different but I wonder if Azzi takes a full year to be fully cleared (which would mean December) and then a couple weeks to play. That would probably be the USC game or slightly before it. This is all hypothetical of course.
Regarding an ACL: Six or Seven years ago, the standard would be to push athletes back into the game 9 to 10 months after surgery. Now, you are correct, it seems to be closer to one full year before being activated. And, once they are activated, although physically cleared and told that 'the knee is 100%', in essence, go out there and stress that knee as if the injury never occurred, there always is some degree of apprehension to do so!

Azzi ruptured her ACL in practice last year on November 14th. This coming season UConn opens against Boston University on Thursday, Nov. 7 before hosting South Florida on Sunday, Nov. 10. The Huskies host Fairleigh Dickinson on Wednesday, Nov 20, and Holy Cross on Tuesday, Dec. 3.

Doesn't seem that the team really requires Azzi to play in those games and still walk away at 4-0 at that point in the season.

Reaction Score
Regarding an ACL: Six or Seven years ago, the standard would be to push athletes back into the game 9 to 10 months after surgery. Now, you are correct, it seems to be closer to one full year before being activated. And, once they are activated, although physically cleared and told that 'the knee is 100%', in essence, go out there and stress that knee as if the injury never occurred, there always is some degree of apprehension to do so!

Azzi ruptured her ACL in practice last year on November 14th. This coming season UConn opens against Boston University on Thursday, Nov. 7 before hosting South Florida on Sunday, Nov. 10. The Huskies host Fairleigh Dickinson on Wednesday, Nov 20, and Holy Cross on Tuesday, Dec. 3.

Doesn't seem that the team really requires Azzi to play in those games and still walk away at 4-0 at that point in the season.
Oh crud, didn't see this part of the article: UConn faces North Carolina in Greensboro, N.C., on Friday, Nov. 15. then travel to the Bahamas to play two games on Nov. 25 and 27 in the Baha Mar Pink Flamingo Championship (opponents TBA).

So check that stat; after the Holy Cross game, the Huskies will be 7-0!

Reaction Score
If the idea is to win a NC then I would think they need to develop a team that has the size and athleticism to beat the top 4 or 5 teams in country. With that said I would favor a taller lineup since most if not all the players in the running can shoot and pass the ball. The real question to me is how healthy are the players that are coming off injury and how much will Ice improve her game after a really good tournament run last year.

Paige
Azzi
Sarah
Ice
Jana

Reaction Score
I so enjoy all this discussion on Day 1 starting lineup. What I love the most this year, is that there are so many possible options and honestly, every option I've seen so far looks like a killer lineup! This year is going to be off the charts exciting and enjoyable to watch:) If, as I expect, Jana, Sarah and Azzi are 100% healthy and playing to their full potential by February, we will be looking at a true Super Team!!!!!

Reaction Score
While the discussion is stimulating and unavoidable, most would agree that it is relatively unimportant, particularly at this early juncture. But, you have 9 vote getters, so that would be a full rotation for most clubs and then the question would be who else can squeeze themselves in including the two other incoming freshman as well as Samuels, without even conjecturing on CD becoming playable. Bounty of riches

Reaction Score
Paige, Ashlyn, KK, Q, and Ice. The team that played the final four last year.
Q played 21 total minutes in the 5 NCAA games, including 0 in the F4.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom