Sedona Prince Transfer Thread | Page 16 | The Boneyard

Sedona Prince Transfer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Whether Sedona is eligible this year or next she will play with a more talented group of players at UCONN not ND making a better chance for initial success in Storrs! IMHO It would be quite evident to her after her visits where her chickens roost!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I don't know about Prince's screening ability, but she's shows all the skills you mention Dolson had. I'm not suggesting Prince will be as good or better than her, just that she appears to have the talent to make a valid comparison. For example, Prince is an extremely good passer. She averaged 2.8 assists over her last three years in high school. Lauren Cox, an excellent passing big, averaged 1.8 assists her last three years. And while Steph moved much better later on she was never the athlete or mover Prince is.
Don't underestimate how valuable those Dolson screens were to the UCONN offense. There is a very good reason WCBB basketball complained hard about those screens for the 4 years Dolson was in a UCONN uniform. And yes some of them were a tad illegal, but ever so devastating, mainly because it opened so many more options.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Don't underestimate how valuable those Dolson screens were to the UCONN offense. There is a very good reason WCBB basketball complained hard about those screens for the 4 years Dolson was in a UCONN uniform. And yes some of them were a tad illegal, but ever so devastating, mainly because it opened so many more options.

A Tad? :rolleyes:;)

As an old guy playing a young person's game, I've discovered that well-placed screens (particularly off-ball) can really help a team. I appreciated Dolson's ability to rattle a few bones and make heads swivel (often the wrong way), even while shouting at the television screen!

While often not quite as dramatic as Steph's best "in your face/back" best, Jess Shepard could set an effective (legal or otherwise ;)) screen (and roll), as well.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
A Tad? :rolleyes:;)

As an old guy playing a young person's game, I've discovered that well-placed screens (particularly off-ball) can really help a team. I appreciated Dolson's ability to rattle a few bones and make heads swivel (often the wrong way), even while shouting at the television screen!

While not quite as "in your face," Jess Shepard could set an effective screen (and roll), as well.
Don't kid yourself, her screens were just as obviously illegal. The refs just never called them.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Don't kid yourself, her screens were just as obviously illegal. The refs just never called them.

???
There's nothing at all confrontational or comparative intended by my post ...particularly if you read my personal postscript....I appreciate a solid screen (whether set by Dolson, Shepard or Gustafson, for that matter ) I'll amend the wording a tad (if need be) but my point still stands.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
???
There's nothing at all confrontational or comparative intended by my post ...particularly if you read my personal postscript....I appreciate a solid screen (whether set by Dolson, Shepard or Gustafson, for that matter ) I'll amend the wording a tad if need be.
Some BY’ers like to post with their elbows out, sort of like a Steph Dolson screen...;)

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
???
There's nothing at all confrontational or comparative intended by my post ...particularly if you read my personal postscript....I appreciate a solid screen (whether set by Dolson, Shepard or Gustafson, for that matter ) I'll amend the wording a tad if need be.
There is a vivid agenda to the previous post, don't take it personal. That agenda goes something like this: ALL UCONN WBB loses and especially the ones to ND are due to the way the ref called the game- against UCONN and in favor of ND. I'm still trying to figure out the second corollary to that theory-what do you attribute the UCONN wins against ND which are far more numerous?

Reaction Score
There is a vivid agenda to the previous post, don't take it personal. That agenda goes something like this: ALL UCONN WBB loses and especially the ones to ND are due to the way the ref called the game- against UCONN and in favor of ND. I'm still trying to figure out the second corollary to that theory-what do you attribute the UCONN wins against ND which are far more numerous?

Those games had different refs? :rolleyes:

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score

While I agree with your main point it can be elaborated on a bit. During the hey day of the UConn/Notre Dame rivalry, UConn always had both the best offensive and defensive efficiency ... in the nation! However, Notre Dame often had the better A/TO ratio and were better at foul discrepancy. This meant, and I successfully predicted, that UConn could and would win by large margins while Notre Dame was more likely to win the close ones. Thus even in that 6/7 stretch we won the one game by double digits while losing by single digits and/or in overtime quite a few times.

Refs only are a factor in close games. Thus there can be, and I believe there was at least one time, more opportunity for the refs to be a factor in a UConn loss. However, this does not mean conspiracy or bias, just more opportunity for refs to be a factor. We always beat Notre Dame too badly (how many single digit wins were there?) for them to be a factor in a Notre Dame loss.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Here's my final comment on this Dolson discussion: her name is Stefanie or Stef, not Steph. She was an All-American and two-time national champion at UConn. The very least we can do is get her name right.

Dang, not sure why you seem irritated by this. I misspelled her nickname, but it is her nickname. Her twitter and instagram handles are...big mama stef. She's referred to as Stef in umpteen articles including several by the UConn press.

I was a big fan of hers, and I also remember what people called her.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I don't know Oldude. Most of the Irish students -- including student athletes my kids introduced me to -- enjoy the home games as social situations, with the tailgates, "darties" and what not. And Sedona is a child of Texas who spent a year at UT...I've gotta guess that, at the very least, she knows a bit of football culture. And might even like it...

If not football, there are other sports. The last two years, a few of the ND WBB team attended many of the Irish Women's Volleyball Team matches during the fall and put the pics on social media. Sure the UConn WBB team has fave sports, as well.

As for being "overshadowed," ND, like many WBB teams, draws it's attendance heavily from the local community. They'll be there, football or not.
Out of curiosity, how does WCBB rank on the ND boards? Is it 3rd behind football and MCBB or lower?
WCBB is #2 and close to #1 with football a distant 3rd.
Last I remember there were 23 newspapers who covered UConn WCBB and 2 prominently. And despite so many ill informed posters decrying ESPN hatred of UConn, all evidence points to the contrary by regular SC highlights and comments plus Geno interviews. And heck, you want a tour of the studio, they will accommodate :rolleyes:

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Well I gotta tell ya. I will be shocked if Prince doesnt come to UConn. ND graduate most of their starters from last year and Jackie Young went pro and Dani Patterson left. So who's left that can bring a NC to ND or even make the FF? I dont see that happenin. Right now the only place to play is UConn if your looking for mulitple FF and NC's. Do you honestly think that Geno will sit Prince? I dont. Shes 6'7 and ONO is 6'5 and both are shot blockers. With Westbrook recoving and out at least until Jan most likely Prince will see alot of playtime. She will be a freshman playing on a team of the top HS AA's and a few HS number 1's with Paige coming in next season and I like us getting Fudd HS number 1 too. There really isnt anything to think about. Its all there to be great on a great team and those great teammates will only make each other better. I see ONO and Prince getting alot of playtime this upcoming season if healthy along with Williams, Walker and Dangerfield. The both have to learn to play together and be developed as both are underclassman. Why would she go to ND when everybody from last years starting lineup is gone as well as Patterson. Its a rebuilding year for ND and gonna take a couple of years to get back to where they were. There is no nucleus at build on at ND and there is at UConn. IMO its a no brainer shes coming to UConn.

Reaction Score
Well I gotta tell ya. I will be shocked if Prince doesnt come to UConn. ND graduate most of their starters from last year and Jackie Young went pro and Dani Patterson left. So who's left that can bring a NC to ND or even make the FF? I dont see that happenin. Right now the only place to play is UConn if your looking for mulitple FF and NC's. Do you honestly think that Geno will sit Prince? I dont. Shes 6'7 and ONO is 6'5 and both are shot blockers. With Westbrook recoving and out at least until Jan most likely Prince will see alot of playtime. She will be a freshman playing on a team of the top HS AA's and a few HS number 1's with Paige coming in next season and I like us getting Fudd HS number 1 too. There really isnt anything to think about. Its all there to be great on a great team and those great teammates will only make each other better. I see ONO and Prince getting alot of playtime this upcoming season if healthy along with Williams, Walker and Dangerfield. The both have to learn to play together and be developed as both are underclassman. Why would she go to ND when everybody from last years starting lineup is gone as well as Patterson. Its a rebuilding year for ND and gonna take a couple of years to get back to where they were. There is no nucleus at build on at ND and there is at UConn. IMO its a no brainer shes coming to UConn.

You make it sounded like if SP comes to Uconn, it is a given that she will get to play this coming season. The chance of SP getting her waiver granted seems much less than EW.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Tonyc, your observations make perfect sense to me. She should come to UConn for all the reasons you mentioned, but as we have come to realize lately is that sometimes teenagers don't make decisions that seen rational and logical TO US (UConn fans). Yes we're short sighted and prejudiced. We're always amazed at how anyone can choose another program over UConn. :eek:

I know that sounds selfish and conceited (to outsiders), but based on some of the comments I've read here after we lost several coveted post players to other programs (Baylor,Texas and South Carolina), I'd say it was spot on. Niele Ivey and Muffet McGraw could sell ice cubes to residents in the arctic circle. They know how to close a deal, especially when they're the last stop on a recruit's itinerary. Keep hope alive. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
We might have had crummy weather for her visit, but South Bend had a tornado and a contentious police shooting of a black man. I'm sure not the look ND wanted.

Her visit hasn't happened yet. This Thursday and Friday.

Reaction Score
You make it sounded like if SP comes to Uconn, it is a given that she will get to play this coming season. The chance of SP getting her waiver granted seems much less than EW.
I would disagree. The NCAA would not look good making a player sit for two consecutive seasons.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Dang, not sure why you seem irritated by this. I misspelled her nickname, but it is her nickname. Her twitter and instagram handles are...big mama stef. She's referred to as Stef in umpteen articles including several by the UConn press.

I was a big fan of hers, and I also remember what people called her.

Her nickname (Stef) was misspelled (Steph) by 4 different posters in the last several posts alone. I do find that irritating. Getting names right is a pet peeve of mine, particularly a UConn player on a UConn board.

Reaction Score
???
There's nothing at all confrontational or comparative intended by my post ...particularly if you read my personal postscript....I appreciate a solid screen (whether set by Dolson, Shepard or Gustafson, for that matter ) I'll amend the wording a tad (if need be) but my point still stands.
Sir: Do you have the audacity to insinuate that any ND fan may prevaricate?
Nothing confrontational seen or found implied. Leave my cousin TAD alone, he has his own problems..
We might have had crummy weather for her visit, but South Bend had a tornado and a contentious police shooting of a black man. I'm sure not the look ND wanted.
ALTHOUGH I wouldn't look too closely under the rugs...

Reaction Score
Her nickname (Stef) was misspelled (Steph) by 4 different posters in the last several posts alone. I do find that irritating. Getting names right is a pet peeve of mine, particularly a UConn player on a UConn board.
Humans are human and as such make these unintentional errors. If you are look ing for perfection you'll need to visit the Vol Nation board.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I wish I had a dollar for every time someone on this board referred to Napheesa Collier as "Phessa."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom