SEC Regular Season 2023 | Page 8 | The Boneyard

SEC Regular Season 2023

Reaction Score
If Reese wins SEC POTY, which is likely and deserving (love Boston, but I wouldn’t be mad) based on her numbers and the load she carries for that team, I think it’s a good possibility LSU will open as the favorite with her returning for a 4th season.

A lot of voters and coaches are going to see a Boston-less SC and get stars in their eyes, just like they did when Wilson left. And we know what Dawn followed up Wilson’s departure with, some of her best recruiting yet.
Boston is a much better all around player than Reese but Reeses's rebounding numbers are pretty darn impressive and she is too critical to LSU's success. She has had a good year, even with the horrific schedule.

Boston is dramatically more polished offensively and she is efficient with much better range. Reese is too sloppy and not crisp on the offensive end. Sometimes I feel like she just nonchalant with her shooting assuming she will get her own misses. For a 6'3 kid though, she handles the ball exceptionally well for her size. Only knock on her IMO has been her attitude (which has been addressed non stop).

SC will still be very strong in the post next year even after Boston goes to the WNBA. Cardoso, Watkins, Feagin, Kitts is a extremely strong post group and I won't doubt if SC adds another strong player from the portal. Then they have arguably the best post in the country for the 24 class in their own backyard with Joyce Edwards in their backyard.

Reaction Score
Boston is a much better all around player than Reese but Reeses's rebounding numbers are pretty darn impressive and she is too critical to LSU's success. She has had a good year, even with the horrific schedule.

Boston is dramatically more polished offensively and she is efficient with much better range. Reese is too sloppy and not crisp on the offensive end. Sometimes I feel like she just nonchalant with her shooting assuming she will get her own misses. For a 6'3 kid though, she handles the ball exceptionally well for her size. Only knock on her IMO has been her attitude (which has been addressed non stop).

SC will still be very strong in the post next year even after Boston goes to the WNBA. Cardoso, Watkins, Feagin, Kitts is a extremely strong post group and I won't doubt if SC adds another strong player from the portal. Then they have arguably the best post in the country for the 24 class in their own backyard with Joyce Edwards in their backyard.
Agree with all points except I believe Kitts will be fighting Sanya Jah and Bree Hall to become the starter that replaces Brea Beal next year. Though she is kind of a hybrid 3/4, so I could see some time spent at the 4. IMO we will only have 3 true interior players unless Amihere comes back or we grab someone from the portal.

Reaction Score
Agree with all points except I believe Kitts will be fighting Sanya Jah and Bree Hall to become the starter that replaces Brea Beal next year. Though she is kind of a hybrid 3/4, so I could see some time spent at the 4. IMO we will only have 3 true interior players unless Amihere comes back or we grab someone from the portal.

Do you think Amihere would? It's an intriguing idea.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Do you think Amihere would? It's an intriguing idea.
As much as I love Amihere, I think that her playing style is much more pro than college.

As good as this would be for the overall team, this would be horrible for Feagin’s development. Feagin needs more time on the court and her potential skill level is starter worthy.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Yep.
I think Kitts is very much a 3/4, but she’ll battle Hall for that 3 spot and Hall is very good on both sides of the ball in that big wing spot as she’s the obvious heir apparent to the lockdown defender position on the roster. But Hall is also a very capable scorer.

I see Jah as more of true power forward. Very strong off the dribble, facing the basket and attacking, very good rebounder, very good ball handler for her size, plays at the elbows.

Reaction Score
If Reese wins SEC POTY, which is likely and deserving (love Boston, but I wouldn’t be mad) based on her numbers and the load she carries for that team, I think it’s a good possibility LSU will open as the favorite with her returning for a 4th season.

A lot of voters and coaches are going to see a Boston-less SC and get stars in their eyes, just like they did when Wilson left. And we know what Dawn followed up Wilson’s departure with, some of her best recruiting yet.
Yeah I do not have an issue with Reese winning it.

Reaction Score
Kitts is a 4 right now who might one day be a three, but might well just be a 4.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
LSU & TAMU 60-55 with 4:30 left. TAMU down by 13 at one point.

Reaction Score
LSU has regressed pretty badly. The TN game wasn't great but it was a decent effort. Georgia and A&M game were complete hot messes of stupidity on stupidity. They would get a lead then have a bunch of turnovers or a bunch of dumb fouls. They look tired (yes its game 3 in a week on a team with no depth) but there is zero leadership on the team (I don't consider Reese and Morris good leaders with their attitudes). The lack of a PG was a colossal failure on Kim's part. Morris destroys any game when she gets into a bad mood (never did that once last season).

I would rather Autumn Newby over Ladazhia Williams. I finally said it.

They need a break badly to regroup. A lot of this is just bad basketball. I have seen things this week that I have never seen all year but Kim has botched some of the rotations pretty badly.

Looks very similar to last years group when they hit a wall in late January where they had a 3 game stretch of bad basketball although they eventually regrouped. But the lack of consistent PG play troubles me deeply.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
LSU has regressed pretty badly. The TN game wasn't great but it was a decent effort. Georgia and A&M game were complete hot messes of stupidity on stupidity. They would get a lead then have a bunch of turnovers or a bunch of dumb fouls. They look tired (yes its game 3 in a week on a team with no depth) but there is zero leadership on the team (I don't consider Reese and Morris good leaders with their attitudes). The lack of a PG was a colossal failure on Kim's part. Morris destroys any game when she gets into a bad mood (never did that once last season).

They need a break badly to regroup. A lot of this is just bad basketball. I have seen things this week that I have never seen all year but Kim has botched some of the rotations pretty badly.

Looks very similar to last years group when they hit a wall in late January where they had a 3 game stretch of bad basketball although they eventually regrouped. But the lack of consistent PG play troubles me deeply.
They get this week off while SC travels to Auburn. I imagine Raven Johnson can put Morris in a bad mood. I bet that’s who guards her. Raven did a masterful job on Muhl today.

Reaction Score

Somehow LSU just keeps winning and props to them for avoiding the upset again. They may very well be ranked #2 by the time they play SCar. They are not playing good ball right now--- very one dimensional. if Flau' Jae, Carson and Poole's offense doesn't show up and turnovers stop, it's going to be an ugly day in SCarolina.

Reaction Score

LSU seems to play a lot on emotion and I can’t think of even a single player that is steady in their emotion and level of play. However I’ll give Coach Mulkey credit in making the small adjustments with substitution that gets the team over the hump.

Reaction Score
Flau' Jae, Carson and Poole's offense doesn't show up and turnovers stop, it's going to be an ugly day in SCarolina.
Flaujae has been off but she offers great defense and rebounding when her shot hasn't fell but she was pretty good today with 11 points and 6 rebounds on respectable shooting. I find they don't run enough plays for her at times IMO. She is still one of LSU's best players in SEC play even with a couple off games offensively. And fun fact, she had zero turnovers today. Honestly didn't think the turnovers were terribly bad outside of Morris who basically kept A&M in the game by herself despite her 20 points. Throw in Ladazhia missing wide open jump shot after wide open jump shot. The game never should have gotten as close as it did.

The issue is the third guard spot, Carson, Poa and Poole just aren't quality of guards you would expect from a 'top 10' team, let alone top 25. All have questionable ball handling, inconsistent shooting with minimal rebounding. They play decent defense but when you turn the ball over and don't score much, what are you offering exactly?

They hav only 10 scholarship players on roster. They have a great class coming in that addresses a lot of needs but they need to go get some decent guards from the portal this offseason.

Reaction Score
Very happy for Coach Purcell and the team tonight. After a couple of tough losses he pulled out a very good win. All the injured players were back tonight. First time all season he has a full squad.

Reaction Score
Very happy for Coach Purcell and the team tonight. After a couple of tough losses he pulled out a very good win. All the injured players were back tonight. First time all season he has a full squad.

I watched the game. We did everything we could to lose that game. Less than a minute to go in first OT, up by 4, with Annie shooting 2 free throws and State to retain possession after free throws and we ended up tied at the end of the OT. Not sure an old man’s heart can take that drama!

Reaction Score
I watched the game. We did everything we could to lose that game. Less than a minute to go in first OT, up by 4, with Annie shooting 2 free throws and State to retain possession after free throws and we ended up tied at the end of the OT. Not sure an old man’s heart can take that drama!
Congrats on the win. I will have to watch the game later today.

Reaction Score
Yep. I have to give Rickea Jackson a lot of props. She single-handedly almost won that game for Tennessee. She played amazing. It seems as though she has put a lot of her issues behind her. I am very happy when a young person can get focused and do well.

Reaction Score

2023 Standings​

SEC

CONFOVERALLHOMEROADNEUTRALPFPASTRK
LSU11-023-013-06-04-019941248W23
South Carolina10-023-012-010-01-018911112W23
Tennessee9-217-912-34-41-219931720L-1
Ole Miss8-319-512-16-31-116991316W1
Alabama6-417-69-37-21-116321343W1
Arkansas5-518-79-36-23-218601613W1
Mississippi State5-516-711-22-43-116631309W1
Georgia5-616-910-33-43-216841464W1
Missouri4-715-99-54-32-116001491L-1
Florida3-714-99-33-52-116271535L-1
Auburn3-713-911-41-41-115181429L-1
Kentucky2-810-127-72-41-115431507L-1
Vanderbilt1-910-147-63-60-216001665L-2
Texas A&M1-106-156-70-80-011441294L-3

Attachments

• 1675788474576.png
    1675788474576.png
    205.7 KB · Views: 50

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
Win over Tennessee raised the expectations of our program. Can no long accept losing to Missouri or A&M or Florida. Personally I think 5-0 next 5 games is the only option but that's just me.

Reaction Score
Win over Tennessee raised the expectations of our program. Can no long accept losing to Missouri or A&M or Florida. Personally I think 5-0 next 5 games is the only option but that's just me.
4-1 with a good showing against LSU shoul see you right!

Reaction Score
I agree Coach Purcell raised expectations with that win. However I’m sure the combination of his inexperience and the fact that we are still a patchwork of varying talent, mental focus and general maturity will lead to some frustrating situations. Overall I’m pleased with the team to date but coaching and players still have a lot of work to do.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom