SEC 21-22 | Page 12 | The Boneyard

SEC 21-22

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Kentucky shouldn't be ranked. That was a miserable game to watch.

On the other side of things... Florida has found something and without Lavender Briggs. Kelly Finley for SEC coach of the year? She sure is making a case for it.

Reaction Score
They lost by 3.
That must be one of the rationales for no in game threads. However the poster wasn’t wrong at the time. After being up 7-4 Mississippi State bricked lay up after lay up to go down 27. Coach Novak inserted C Kohl in the lineup and moved D Carter to the four and R Jackson to the three. That helped stop the bleeding. MSU went on an insane run after halftime and was up 1 with 55 seconds. Ultimately they lost by 3 after missing a shot then having to foul. UGA made both free throws and won 66-63.

Reaction Score

In fairness to both parties they were brought in by another coach and I’m sure have different mindsets regarding coaching. I don’t think there is anything particularly nefarious going on by either coach. It will either work out or it won’t. Director of Recruiting Peggy Knight is the female assistant that has been seen on the bench.

Reaction Score
Down by 27 when I posted that. Hell of a comeback but still lost.
Ok, I confess, I quit watching after 1st qtr. we were awful and it looked to me like it was getting even worse. We simply do not have decent size to compete but it appears we have the heart to win. Too bad we lost both Jessika and Sidney Cooke, imagine heart and size!

Reaction Score
Creme bumped up Tennessee to a 1 seed and moved Louisville to a 2 seed. The SEC could have two 1-seeds by the time the season ends.

I remember saying in the preseason that this was going to be a rebuilding year in the SEC. We lost so much talent across the conference that I thought nobody would challenge South Carolina. South Carolina, LSU, Tennessee, Georgia, and Ole Miss are looking like strong post-season contenders that are at a minimum sweet 16 worthy. I was completely wrong!

Reaction Score
Creme bumped up Tennessee to a 1 seed and moved Louisville to a 2 seed. The SEC could have two 1-seeds by the time the season ends.

I remember saying in the preseason that this was going to be a rebuilding year in the SEC. We lost so much talent across the conference that I thought nobody would challenge South Carolina. South Carolina, LSU, Tennessee, Georgia, and Ole Miss are looking like strong post-season contenders that are at a minimum sweet 16 worthy. I was completely wrong!
A lot of us were. You're not alone in this.

Reaction Score

TN is better than I anticipated and so is LSU. I can't decide if Ole Miss is actually decent or if they are the beneficiary of some other teams being down. I could see Ole Miss finishing top 5 SEC and I could also see them losing in the 2nd round of the NCAA tournament based on what I know about the squad.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
TN is better than I anticipated and so is LSU. I can't decide if Ole Miss is actually decent or if they are the beneficiary of some other teams being down. I could see Ole Miss finishing top 5 SEC and I could also see them losing in the 2nd round of the NCAA tournament based on what I know about the squad.
In the games I've seen them, I don't expect them to be a Sweet 16 team though. Lots of athleticism and defense but the offense isn't there. Probably a 7-10 seed.

Reaction Score
I agree. Ole Miss still has to prove themselves against the heavyweights in the conference. I'll believe they're really good once I see them beat a top 25 team in conference. I don't think it will happen but I won't be surprised if it does. Even so, they're definitely an NCAA tournament worthy program.

Reaction Score
I agree. Ole Miss still has to prove themselves against the heavyweights in the conference. I'll believe they're really good once I see them beat a top 25 team in conference. I don't think it will happen but I won't be surprised if it does. Even so, they're definitely an NCAA tournament worthy program.
In the games I've seen them, I don't expect them to be a Sweet 16 team though. Lots of athleticism and defense but the offense isn't there. Probably a 7-10 seed.
While some teams have surprised me I don't think the SEC is that good beyond the top 3/4. Ole Miss, Georgia, and Kentucky are all good squads who can win games but still haven't shown they are good match ups against other competitive teams.

Ole Miss is definitely tournament worthy and I will admit not having watched them but I read the same things: helter/skelter defense without a lot of options in the half course beyond Austin. Still she's a load and one of the better players in the conference.

Reaction Score
Tennessee looks better on the scoreboard than expected and they worry me a good bit.

But I'm not sure they have any wins that would have looked like upsets preseason.

We're just used to them losing some 50-50s and favored games.

I'm not sure that the league is really that strong. It kind of feels like a lot of ok teams who can get you on the right night. The Sweet 16 is kind of a low measuring stick, but there are several candidates for sure.

Reaction Score
Are we sure for instance that LSU is a lot better than Missouri?

I'm not sure we know LSU is on a higher tier.

Reaction Score
I think Mizzou is pretty good team, however IMO LSU has been a little more consistent. Coming into the year, I thought Mulkey was gonna atart building a program, but the fact is they have just succeeded so fast. Post play does scare me with LSU, however they’ve played well all year. While MIzzou has that big win against SC, they’ve struggled as of late losing 3 straight.

Reaction Score
While some teams have surprised me I don't think the SEC is that good beyond the top 3/4. Ole Miss, Georgia, and Kentucky are all good squads who can win games but still haven't shown they are good match ups against other competitive teams.

Ole Miss is definitely tournament worthy and I will admit not having watched them but I read the same things: helter/skelter defense without a lot of options in the half course beyond Austin. Still she's a load and one of the better players in the conference.
Georgia beat NC State. They're a good team when they play at their peak. They don't have the talent to have an off night and win against top 50 competition but they can beat almost any team in the country when they're maximizing their talents.

I don't think Kentucky is a good team. There is something off with Rhyne Howard. I get the impression that she only plays the game because she's good at it and can make a career out of it. I don't feel like it is something she is passionate about. That's at least how I interpret her personality on the court. She just doesn't seem to have a love for the game. But, it could be a coaching issue too. I don't think Kentucky makes the tournament.

This is how I see it:
USC - 1 seed
UT - 1
LSU - 2
UGA - 4
Ole Miss - 6
Missouri - 7
Arkansas - 9
Florida - 11

Basically, against Creme's opinion, I think that Florida makes it in and Kentucky/Texas A&M do not.

Reaction Score
Georgia beat NC State. They're a good team when they play at their peak. They don't have the talent to have an off night and win against top 50 competition but they can beat almost any team in the country when they're maximizing their talents.

I don't think Kentucky is a good team. There is something off with Rhyne Howard. I get the impression that she only plays the game because she's good at it and can make a career out of it. I don't feel like it is something she is passionate about. That's at least how I interpret her personality on the court. She just doesn't seem to have a love for the game. But, it could be a coaching issue too. I don't think Kentucky makes the tournament.

This is how I see it:
USC - 1 seed
UT - 1
LSU - 2
UGA - 4
Ole Miss - 6
Missouri - 7
Arkansas - 9
Florida - 11

Basically, against Creme's opinion, I think that Florida makes it in and Kentucky/Texas A&M do not.
Howard doesn't seem to be very inspired to play at Kentucky at the very least. Internal issues may well derail their chances at a bid.

I don't think TAMU is very good and didn't quite understand why they were picked so high. I agree they might not make tournament.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score

Who has Ole Miss beaten to prove they are a top 16 team?

Georgia has one great win over NC State, a good win over Georgia Tech, but not terribly consistent. Got whipped on Kentucky's home court, same court where DePaul scored a decisive win.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Who has Ole Miss beaten to prove they are a top 16 team?

Georgia has one great win over NC State, a good win over Georgia Tech, but not terribly consistent. Got whipped on Kentucky's home court, same court where DePaul scored a decisive win.
Georgia seems to play to the level of their competition. I cannot explain the Kentucky one though. Kentucky is not good but the talent is probably good enough to beat a good team if they are clicking that night.

Reaction Score
I apologize, forgot about the NCSU win. That is a very good win Georgia but you are right, they can easily have an off night and lose.

Reaction Score

I thought this season would be a cakewalk to the SEC regular season and tournament title. It turns out this might be one of our toughest fights. It is up there with the years we split with Miss State and got knocked out of the tournament by Arkansas. The rest of the SEC has really stepped up.

Reaction Score
Kentucky shouldn't be ranked. That was a miserable game to watch.

On the other side of things... Florida has found something and without Lavender Briggs. Kelly Finley for SEC coach of the year? She sure is making a case for it.
If she can finish in the top half of the SEC and get a bid to the dance she would have earned it.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Kentucky about to fall to 1-4 in SEC play and is probably not a tournament team at this point. Austin with a great showing for WNBA scouts today, she showed off some great moves and finished with 24 points. I'm still not sure how good Ole Miss is, but serious props to Coach Yo for the job she's done. Ole Miss was 0-16 two years ago in SEC play, 4-10 last year, and is now 5-1 to start SEC play and they're 16-2 on the season. Huge turnaround. She's been able to pull in some really good players and they all play hard and seem to have great chemistry. Should be a tournament team this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom