Seattle vs. LA | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Seattle vs. LA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
My only question is who is going to warn MDoggie about you and the company he's keeping? :cool:

I never thought about that Coco, you might have something there. :eek:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Yes my mistake on the spelling.... and thank you... i like candace and would never misspell her name intentionally....

I remember Barkley in 84 true he was not the superstar he would become during NBA career but I remember there was still great surprise he was not selected....

I guess my point in all this is that to read many of the write ins.... it is a case of Candace vs. (pick your) UConn player for roster spot. And behind that, is allegation that Geno is totally responsible for that..... and should be castigated for that

And that is what I get very tired of hearing.

In my career .... have lost jobs a couple of times thinking I was the best qualified. And as coach (albeit HS level) have chosen teams leaving someone out frequently who others thought should have been selected to team.
The Geno I know is a very stand up guy, that makes it very easy for me to ignore these allegations. I don't know the committee, but if they were half the standup person, like Geno, they would justify the non-selection of Parker. By not justifying or explaining this non-select the committee leaves Geno, the UCONN players, the selection process, and CP to absorb pieces of highly misplaced blame. CP not being a team player or good enough to be member of this team? Give me a break!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
In a Courant article "Auriemma admitted that sentimentality and loyalty influenced the selection of this initial group." (Roster Taking Shape)
I also remember that Carol Callan mentioned (in an article that I cannot find at the moment) that "sentimentality" played a part in the selection process.
I think "sentimentality" was the justification for including the players who had passed their peak (except for DT, who I think is still in top form). "Loyalty" I can understand, but "sentimentality" seems more difficult to support as a criteria in the selection of an Olympic team, and seems like a poor choice of words. That said, I am happy for everyone who made the team.:cool:
One can argue that Sue and Tamika could have been left off the team for a younger guard and Candace. Diana could play the point just fine. To me, it's more of a travesty not to bring along a young point guard than to leave Candace off the team, although that's pretty awful, too.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
One can argue that Sue and Tamika could have been left off the team for a younger guard and Candace. Diana could play the point just fine. To me, it's more of a travesty not to bring along a young point guard than to leave Candace off the team, although that's pretty awful, too.

I will note here that Courtney Vandersloot looked very good in Chicago's opener and leave it at that, lol.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
And to Ice's point about whether or not the season's play should be taken into consideration.
It's one game...but the senior ladies did not distinguish themselves this weekend.
If they continue to play at this level, they become a problem for their W teams, forget the Olympics (hardly anticipated)
As Nan noted above ...Diana can more than adequately handle the point if required.
And the team seemingly has enough firepower to carry some sentimental fav's (if required)
But suppose the lack of service of a speedy young point becomes a liability that other teams attack?

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
It would still be irrelevant if Candace was off to a great start or bad start. It would be irrelevant if she was off the team or on the team. I have already said there are players that an argument can be made for Candace being chosen over. BUT that the argument is not compelling enough to demand her being chosen over them and that there is strong argument for each of the players on the team. What is stupid is treating Candace as if she was necessity and irrefutable choice. She wasn't and isn't.

No knowledgable women's basketball fan would leave Parker off the roster. If there was one power forward or center who you'd expect to be a lock, it was Candace. She has steadily played at an incredibly high level her entire career and is so uniquely skilled with her ability to score in multiple ways and create for others while being an uber athletic 6-4 forward. She is playing as well as anyone in the world and just came off a ridiculous WNBA season where she averaged 19 points, 10 boards and 6 assists. If her stats were averaged over the course of a season, she would have been #4 in the league in scoring, first in rebounding, first in assists, 5th in steals, 5th in blocks and the #2 assist/TO ratio in the league. Not to mention shooting 49% from the floor (good for 11th in the league).

In the WNBA, she has averaged between 17-20 ppg in every season where she wasn't coming back after giving birth, grabbed 7-10 rebounds per game and shot between 47-52% from the floor. Every year excluding her rookie season (where she averaged 15 points, 10 boards, 4 assists and 2 blocks) she has improved her numbers in the playoffs. Talent wise, there is zero question she should be a lock on the team.

When you look at USA Basketball experience, Parker was an integral part of both gold medal winning teams in 2012 and 2008. In 2012 she was 3rd on the team in scoring, 1st in rebounding, and 1st in blocks. After one bad half of basketball against Australia, in the gold medal game she led USA with 21 points and 11 rebounds. In 2008 she was a major contributor, averaging 9.4 ppg off the bench. She was also a member of the 2006 FIBA squad and had an even bigger role on that team. She also was on the USA jr teams in high school, leading teams to gold in 2003 and 2004. Experience wise, she should be a lock.

As for her missing 2010 and 2014 due to injuries, the idea that the committee punishes her for planning her surgeries around playing for team USA is ridiculous. Other players have missed camps/tournaments. Brittney Griner sat out in 2012 and Elena Delle Donne withdrew from tournaments in 2007. Playing basketball year round at the highest levels, dealing with injuries and being a full-time Mom.

Attitude wise, there have never been any reports of Parker being a poor or difficult teammate. Nor has she had off the court issues. She doesn't bark at her teammates, she shares the ball and by all accounts seems extremely likable. Angel McCoughtry has a long history of yelling at her teammates during games and of taking poor shots when there are open teammates available. Off the court, Brittney Griner has had multiple issues over the last 7-8 years but everyone overlooks those. The worst that can be said about Parker is that she comes off as cocky/arrogant. Well, that's the exact same trait that fans love and adore Diana Taurasi for, so I can't see that being the issue.

People can try to create reasonings for why Parker was left off the team, but there really isn't any logical argument for her being left off other than there is stuff behind the scenes we aren't made aware of.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Non-basketball skills related reasons for the deselecting someone from the Olympic team should be left to AAU basketball- you know the amateurs!
Well I'll go with the Olympic Committee on this one. I would hardly call them amateurs! Neither would I call Geno an amateur!

Reaction Score
The Geno I know is a very stand up guy, that makes it very easy for me to ignore these allegations. I don't know the committee, but if they were half the standup person, like Geno, they would justify the non-selection of Parker. By not justifying or explaining this non-select the committee leaves Geno, the UCONN players, the selection process, and CP to absorb pieces of highly misplaced blame. CP not being a team player or good enough to be member of this team? Give me a break!

I agree with you about Geno being stand up guy..... but do not agree that have to have a media circus (which would turn out to be) to explain why this person was selected and this one not selected....

Anyway, whether you or others want that, it just is not done for the obvious reasons.....

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
The good thing about Candace not being on Olympic team. Is that she can focus on season with Sparks. The rest up during break.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
People can try to create reasonings for why Parker was left off the team, but there really isn't any logical argument for her being left off other than there is stuff behind the scenes we aren't made aware of.
Bingo! As yet, no one on the Olympic Committee, nor any of the Olympic players, have weighed in. I think most of us know there were other reasons, but again, because there's no official word, we can't post the reasons. One that is irrefutable is her missing the 2014 World Championships.

Some people seem to think that players are somehow "owed" a spot on the Olympic team. It's an honor to be selected, and it's an honor that has to be EARNED. Representing your country is in large part about team and country before self. I would submit that opting for the elective surgery once it was realized the Sparkes were going nowhere in 2014, so that her rehab would be done in time for the lucrative overseas season, but required her to rehab during the 2014 WC's in Istanbul was one reason. The others, as I said, can't be discussed without official statements from other Olympic players, or the Committee...

FWIW I was one, like most, who thought Parker was a lock for the Olympic team. That she wasn't selected (and knowing the $hitstorm that would follow), I would guess the Olympic Committee felt there was something(s) that was/were egregious enough to keep her off the team. We may never know - which is a bummer because it allows for speculation and outrage, but without all the facts...

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Non-basketball skills related reasons for the deselecting someone from the Olympic team should be left to AAU basketball- you know the amateurs!
Deselection would imply that a player was on the last National Team selected for competition in 2014 - so deselected players were Nneka, Odyssey, and Candice (Dupree).

Also - no idea about the 2008 process, but the 2012 process of selection was 11 players with the 12 place left open for Griner who then declined. Do not remember when Jones was then named, but part of the consideration for her was that she was very familiar with all the systems Geno was running with the national team.

Jmpenn

LVFan; Equitable Visitor
Reaction Score
Bingo! As yet, no one on the Olympic Committee, nor any of the Olympic players, have weighed in. I think most of us know there were other reasons, but again, because there's no official word, we can't post the reasons. One that is irrefutable is her missing the 2014 World Championships.

Some people seem to think that players are somehow "owed" a spot on the Olympic team. It's an honor to be selected, and it's an honor that has to be EARNED. Representing your country is in large part about team and country before self. I would submit that opting for the elective surgery once it was realized the Sparkes were going nowhere in 2014, so that her rehab would be done in time for the lucrative overseas season, but required her to rehab during the 2014 WC's in Istanbul was one reason. The others, as I said, can't be discussed without official statements from other Olympic players, or the Committee...

FWIW I was one, like most, who thought Parker was a lock for the Olympic team. That she wasn't selected (and knowing the $hitstorm that would follow), I would guess the Olympic Committee felt there was something(s) that was/were egregious enough to keep her off the team. We may never know - which is a bummer because it allows for speculation and outrage, but without all the facts...
Actually missing the 2014 World Championships because of having surgery is not an irrefutable reason unless you have seen something that I have not. I have not seen that reason given anywhere except by mystery sources here. Others also missed the 2014 Worlds and also other training camps and Griner even declined the last Olympics.

And one more thing no one knows how much pain Candace was playing in. She may have been in a lot of pain and would have been in a lot of pain to try and make it through the World's. Not only are you speculating a lot about the reason she didn't make the team but also about her body and surgery without anything to back it up.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Nobody from USA Basketball should come out and articulate any reason why or why not someone was selected...... This is just not done..... probably because it would just open Pandora's box......

Nobody cried any tears for Becky Hammon when in 2004 she was not chosen after obliterating many NCAA records at Colorado State.

It still amazes me that people deem themselves all powerful and omniscient and state beyond reservation that Parker should absolutely be given a spot on roster.

Is she one of the 12 best? I'll go along with that absolutely. Is there a mitigating factor which pushed someone else by her. Yes to that also.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Actually missing the 2014 World Championships because of having surgery is not an irrefutable reason unless you have seen something that I have not. I have not seen that reason given anywhere except by mystery sources here. Others also missed the 2014 Worlds and also other training camps and Griner even declined the last Olympics.

And one more thing no one knows how much pain Candace was playing in. She may have been in a lot of pain and would have been in a lot of pain to try and make it through the World's. Not only are you speculating a lot about the reason she didn't make the team but also about her body and surgery without anything to back it up.
Well you are obviously going to believe whatever you want. Maybe ask yourself this - unless the Olympic Committee has some sort of personal vendetta against Parker, then there MUST be a reason she was left off the team. She's certainly been on Geno coached teams before, so you can't blame him for it.

It's a fact that she missed the 2010 WC's as well as the 2014 WC's. @UConnCat had more info when she posted in the original "Parker off Olympic team" thread when she said:

The 2010 shoulder surgery was legit, though there is a story out there that she had originally intended to have it after the season and thus have to miss the world championships. She injured her shoulder, had the surgery early and that was that.

In 2014 she played in 32 games for the Sparks, including 2 playoff games and then decided a few days later to have what ESPN said was "minor surgery" which apparently couldn't wait a couple of months. She skipped the world championships again. Many of her veteran USA teammates probably needed some rest and minor procedures too but instead headed over to Istanbul to play for Team USA

You can decide whatever you want and have opinions on the subject. There ARE reasons she's not on the team. That is a fact. Without direct quotes from the committee, all we can do is try to figure out what those reasons might be. No amount of boo-hooing at this point is going to get her on the team and you can claim it was a terrible decision based on whatever reasons you want to believe.

Jmpenn

LVFan; Equitable Visitor
Reaction Score
Well you are obviously going to believe whatever you want. Maybe ask yourself this - unless the Olympic Committee has some sort of personal vendetta against Parker, then there MUST be a reason she was left off the team. She's certainly been on Geno coached teams before, so you can't blame him for it.

It's a fact that she missed the 2010 WC's as well as the 2014 WC's. @UConnCat had more info when she posted in the original "Parker off Olympic team" thread when she said:

The 2010 shoulder surgery was legit, though there is a story out there that she had originally intended to have it after the season and thus have to miss the world championships. She injured her shoulder, had the surgery early and that was that.

In 2014 she played in 32 games for the Sparks, including 2 playoff games and then decided a few days later to have what ESPN said was "minor surgery" which apparently couldn't wait a couple of months. She skipped the world championships again. Many of her veteran USA teammates probably needed some rest and minor procedures too but instead headed over to Istanbul to play for Team USA

You can decide whatever you want and have opinions on the subject. There ARE reasons she's not on the team. That is a fact. Without direct quotes from the committee, all we can do is try to figure out what those reasons might be. No amount of boo-hooing at this point is going to get her on the team and you can claim it was a terrible decision based on whatever reasons you want to believe.
The problem I have is that you are acting like the reason you gave is a fact and have no sources. There was actually a shoe article that came out that said sources close to Parker said the reasons she was given was that she was no longer the best at her position and that she didn't match up well with Australia. Nothing about her not playing in the World's and this was at least from sources and in print. And I do not think either reason is a good one since they take muliple forwards and the Australian national coach recently called her a matchup nightmare and one of the top 3 players in the world.

Was Candace Parker Left Off The Olympic Team Because She Wears adidas? | Nice Kicks

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
The problem I have is that you are acting like the reason you gave is a fact and have no sources. There was actually a shoe article that came out that said sources close to Parker said the reasons she was given was that she was no longer the best at her position and that she didn't match up well with Australia. Nothing about her not playing in the World's and this was at least from sources and in print. And I do not think either reason is a good one since they take muliple forwards and the Australian national coach recently called her a matchup nightmare and one of the top 3 players in the world.
Of course there aren't any sources since no one from the Olympic committee, nor the Olympic players, are talking. So all we are left doing is making guesses. I have my own opinions on the subject, and zero of it has to do with a personal vendetta against Parker. IMHO she was left off the team for several reasons not having to do with her basketball talent.

If I had quotes from the Committee, or other players, we wouldn't have to play the game of "maybe this is why". I think almost all fans can agree that Parker is talented enough. But she apparently did things that caused the Committee to leave her off the team. If we ever find out all the reasons, we can have a whole different debate as to whether those reasons were valid.

One factor that is quantifiable is her skipping the 2010 and 2014 WC's. Is it a valid reason? Did she discuss it with the US National Committee? Did she do everything she could to represent her country? I wasn't privy to any of those conversations, but the fact that she did miss both of those, especially 2014, could be a factor.

Reaction Score
Exhibit A.... It's dust people.... please don't disrupt the dust... :eek:

Have an average day. :D

upload_2016-5-16_14-10-44.jpeg

Jmpenn

LVFan; Equitable Visitor
Reaction Score
Of course there aren't any sources since no one from the Olympic committee, nor the Olympic players, are talking. So all we are left doing is making guesses. I have my own opinions on the subject, and zero of it has to do with a personal vendetta against Parker. IMHO she was left off the team for several reasons not having to do with her basketball talent.

If I had quotes from the Committee, or other players, we wouldn't have to play the game of "maybe this is why". I think almost all fans can agree that Parker is talented enough. But she apparently did things that caused the Committee to leave her off the team. If we ever find out all the reasons, we can have a whole different debate as to whether those reasons were valid.

One factor that is quantifiable is her skipping the 2010 and 2014 WC's. Is it a valid reason? Did she discuss it with the US National Committee? Did she do everything she could to represent her country? I wasn't privy to any of those conversations, but the fact that she did miss both of those, especially 2014, could be a factor.
Ok, completely fine if those are your opinions. Did you read the article I linked? Not sure how valid those sources are but they state the reasons Candace was given.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Ok, completely fine if those are your opinions. Did you read the article I linked? Not sure how valid those sources are but they state the reasons Candace was given.

"Officially, according to sources close to Parker, she was given two reasons for not being included on the final roster. Parker was told she was no longer the best player at her position, with that nod presumably going to Elena Delle Donne. She was also told she “didn’t match up well with Australia.”

Was Candace Parker Left Off The Olympic Team Because She Wears adidas? | Nice Kicks

I
MO both of these are valid basketball reasons for Candace not being selected for the 2016 Olympic team.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Candace was told that the reason she was overlooked was because "Officially, according to sources close to Parker, she was given two reasons for not being included on the final roster. Parker was told she was no longer the best player at her position, with that nod presumably going to Elena Delle Donne. She was also told she “didn’t match up well with Australia.” Parker was said to be floored by the reasoning".

Of course those are "sources close to Parker". Did we get a quote from anyone on the USOC? Still murky, but hey, it's all we have to go on. Who is Nick Depaula? Why is he using sources close to Parker, and not getting direct quotes, or saying who told Parker this stuff?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
But one has to wonder about the selections. Did Coach and the committee look backwards instead of forwards? This is a team that relies on some much older players, with half the players thirty or older. And there are only three true guards: Diana Taurasi, Sue Bird, and Lindsey Whalen. All are 33 or older. And looking at Sue Bird's early stats, is she really the player she was four years ago? What if Whalen gets hurt, or gets into foul trouble?

Speaking of playing as a team- Angel McCoughtry? Hard to see who should be taken off. But Sue? Great as she once was. Should she have been chosen, at this point in her career, over Jewell Loyd? Odyssey Sims?

Did Coach Geno go with the players he knew? Did he opt for a comfort factor? Looking back, or looking forward?

This isn't the first national team selection that was enormously controversial for leaving out a national star. Remember Jurgen Klinsmann's decision to leave Landon Donovan off the national team for the World Cup? Ultimately, that decision did not look good.

Pretty controversial....

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score

I actually meant to put my reply above as a reply to you. Honestly, if that article REALLY is the reason she was left off the team, I'd be sort of confused too. She wasn't the best player at her position? EDD presumably is? or Maya? I would have to imagine that maybe starters would be Sue, Dee, EDD, Maya and Griner (or maybe Charles?) I don't know - that seems like a pretty weak reason to me (yeah that's me sort of agreeing with you)...

And not matching up well with Australia? Kind of scratching my head on that one too. Point is, even if you think Maya and EDD are "better" than Parker (sort of 3/4 hybrids), who comes off the bench for them? Catch, Stewie, Angel, and maybe Tina if she's a 4? It's not up to me - glad I'm not on the Committee. IF those are the actual reasons she was given... hmm...

Jmpenn

LVFan; Equitable Visitor
Reaction Score
I actually meant to put my reply above as a reply to you. Honestly, if that article REALLY is the reason she was left off the team, I'd be sort of confused too. She wasn't the best player at her position? EDD presumably is? or Maya? I would have to imagine that maybe starters would be Sue, Dee, EDD, Maya and Griner (or maybe Charles?) I don't know - that seems like a pretty weak reason to me (yeah that's me sort of agreeing with you)...

And not matching up well with Australia? Kind of scratching my head on that one too. Point is, even if you think Maya and EDD are "better" than Parker (sort of 3/4 hybrids), who comes off the bench for them? Catch, Stewie, Angel, and maybe Tina if she's a 4? It's not up to me - glad I'm not on the Committee. IF those are the actual reasons she was given... hmm...
Not sure how legit the article I linked is or the sources in the article are but it is there. The article mentions that those reasons were given to Parker but then try to make it about the shoe controversy. So who knows.

If Nike has anything to do with it Jefferson may be in trouble for because she just signed with Adidas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ranon

Top Bottom