Seattle vs. LA | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Seattle vs. LA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gate81

'Gate Grad Likes Cardinal & UConn Best
Reaction Score
Of course there aren't any sources since no one from the Olympic committee, nor the Olympic players, are talking. So all we are left doing is making guesses. I have my own opinions on the subject, and zero of it has to do with a personal vendetta against Parker. IMHO she was left off the team for several reasons not having to do with her basketball talent.

If I had quotes from the Committee, or other players, we wouldn't have to play the game of "maybe this is why". I think almost all fans can agree that Parker is talented enough. But she apparently did things that caused the Committee to leave her off the team. If we ever find out all the reasons, we can have a whole different debate as to whether those reasons were valid.

One factor that is quantifiable is her skipping the 2010 and 2014 WC's. Is it a valid reason? Did she discuss it with the US National Committee? Did she do everything she could to represent her country? I wasn't privy to any of those conversations, but the fact that she did miss both of those, especially 2014, could be a factor.
but Griner missing 2012 so she could play on her skateboard and break her wrist was ok? I think if they accept reasons for some missing WNT BB they need to extend the same courtesy to others.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
but Griner missing 2012 so she could play on her skateboard and break her wrist was ok? I think if they accept reasons for some missing WNT BB they need to extend the same courtesy to others.
Yea and Elena Delle Donne and Sylvia Fowles should have tough out the Lyme disease and the bad foot in 2014 also. I mean how much trouble could one tick cause and it wasn't Sylvia's right foot either.

Bad back keeps Delle Donne from U.S. team

Jmpenn

LVFan; Equitable Visitor
Reaction Score
I think Griner actually turned down the Olympics before she broke her wrist. At the time she turned it down because she wanted to be with her sick mother. Then she broke her wrist and wouldn't have been able to play anyway. That is how I remember it anyway. Please correct me if I am wrong.

But I did read here I think from eastcoasttexas maybe that Griner wrote about the reason she turned down the Olympics in her book and I haven't read it.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I actually meant to put my reply above as a reply to you. Honestly, if that article REALLY is the reason she was left off the team, I'd be sort of confused too. She wasn't the best player at her position? EDD presumably is? or Maya? I would have to imagine that maybe starters would be Sue, Dee, EDD, Maya and Griner (or maybe Charles?) I don't know - that seems like a pretty weak reason to me (yeah that's me sort of agreeing with you)...

And not matching up well with Australia? Kind of scratching my head on that one too. Point is, even if you think Maya and EDD are "better" than Parker (sort of 3/4 hybrids), who comes off the bench for them? Catch, Stewie, Angel, and maybe Tina if she's a 4? It's not up to me - glad I'm not on the Committee. IF those are the actual reasons she was given... hmm...

The not matching up well with Australia could be a reference to the semi-final game in London in which Parker basically was a no-show against the physical Opals. It wasn't that she shot poorly or got in foul trouble, her effort and toughness were lacking in the game that effectively decided the gold medal. She played like she wanted no part of the physical Australia players. There was a possession toward the end of the 3rd quarter when Australia was out-fighting USA for loose balls and rebounds and Parker didn't go hard after a rebound and then a loose ball. She was taken out, Asjha Jones entered the game and the combination of Charles and Jones was able to contain Cambage and Jackson and the momentum eventually turned in USA's favor.

Parker's performance in London was not that great.

Two of USA BB's last three major international competitions have been played without Candace Parker (Prague WCs in 2010 and Istanbul WCs 2014). USA BB has won gold without her so I honestly don't see the big deal.

Jmpenn

LVFan; Equitable Visitor
Reaction Score
The not matching up well with Australia could be a reference to the semi-final game in London in which Parker basically was a no-show against the physical Opals. It wasn't that she shot poorly or got in foul trouble, her effort and toughness were lacking in the game that effectively decided the gold medal. She played like she wanted no part of the physical Australia players. There was a possession toward the end of the 3rd quarter when Australia was out-fighting USA for loose balls and rebounds and Parker didn't go hard after a rebound and then a loose ball. She was taken out, Asjha Jones entered the game and the combination of Charles and Jones was able to contain Cambage and Jackson and the momentum eventually turned in USA's favor.

Two of USA BB's last three major international competitions have been played without Candace Parker (Prague WCs in 2010 and Istanbul WCs 2014). USA BB has won gold without her so I honestly don't see the big deal.
That isn't how I remember it at all. Candace was one of the best in the London Olympics. During the game against Australia Cambage did play very well especially in the first half and the team as a whole didn't defend her well. Candace wasn't even playing center so she wasn't even the primary defender. The stats for the London Olympics will show that Candace was one of the top performers. The Australian Olympic coach said right before the team was announced that she would be shocked if Parker was not on the team and that Parker was a matchup nightmare for them and one of the top 3 players in the world. I think USA will win anyway but that she should be on the team.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
USA basketball has won last two Olympic gold medal with CP, so why mess up a good thing?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
That isn't how I remember it at all. Candace was one of the best in the London Olympics. During the game against Australia Cambage did play very well especially in the first half and the team as a whole didn't defend her well. Candace wasn't even playing center so she wasn't even the primary defender. The stats for the London Olympics will show that Candace was one of the top performers. The Australian Olympic coach said right before the team was announced that she would be shocked if Parker was not on the team and that Parker was a matchup nightmare for them and one of the top 3 players in the world. I think USA will win anyway but that she should be on the team.

Watch the game against Australia on you tube. She was a no-show and she knew it. She was in there to defend Jackson and the other post players and it was obvious she wanted no part of them. It was Charles and Jones who stepped up and turned things around in the 2nd half.

Wasn't there a report that she reached out to Summitt after the game because she knew how poorly she played? Again, players have bad shooting games or get in foul trouble, but there's no excuse for lack of effort, energy and intensity.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
USA basketball has won last two Olympic gold medal with CP, so why mess up a good thing?

Maybe allowing someone to pass on two consecutive world championships but then make the more desirable and glamorous Olympic team would be unfair to those core players who agreed to play in Prague and agreed to play in Istanbul. Maybe USA BB didn't like the message that would send. Maybe the players who showed up to play in Prague and Istanbul because they thought they had to in order to make the Olympic team thought it would then be unfair for a player to make the Olympic team without playing in the world championships. Maybe USA BB didn't want to mess a good thing whereby players know the world championships are important too.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Maybe allowing someone to pass on two consecutive world championships but then make the more desirable and glamorous Olympic team would be unfair to those core players who agreed to play in Prague and agreed to play in Istanbul. Maybe USA BB didn't like the message that would send. Maybe the players who showed up to play in Prague and Istanbul because they thought they had to in order to make the Olympic team thought it would then be unfair for a player to make the Olympic team without playing in the world championships. Maybe USA BB didn't want to mess a good thing whereby players know the world championships are important too.
Maybe, quite possibly.:cool:

Jmpenn

LVFan; Equitable Visitor
Reaction Score
Well some players also missed the most recent training camp in Spain and Candace was one of the few vets that made it. Those are important as well.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Well some players also missed the most recent training camp in Spain and Candace was one of the few vets that made it. Those are important as well.

Nowhere near as important as the world championships. Not. Even. Close.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Watch the game against Australia on you tube. She was a no-show and she knew it. She was in there to defend Jackson and the other post players and it was obvious she wanted no part of them. It was Charles and Jones who stepped up and turned things around in the 2nd half.

Wasn't there a report that she reached out to Summitt after the game because she knew how poorly she played? Again, players have bad shooting games or get in foul trouble, but there's no excuse for lack of effort, energy and intensity.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Nowhere near as important as the world championships. Not. Even. Close.
CP was not the only player to miss the 2014 world Championships EDD and Sylvia also missed because of injuries.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
If missing any competition eliminated a player from consideration, then why would any player deemed not eligible be invited to camp?

Not sure if this question is directed at my post, but I never said anything about being "eliminated from consideration" or "deemed not eligible." I raised what may have been a factor in not choosing a particular player who was part of the player pool.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I can't wait until the next Seattle-LA matchup :rolleyes:

I doubt you have to wait for that match-up. Could be every WNBA game played by Candace Parker or Sue Bird or Breanna Stewart will be a referendum on their making or not making the team. Won't that be fun.

Jmpenn

LVFan; Equitable Visitor
Reaction Score

I just watched the first half. In the first quarter I didn't see either score over Candace. When Candace came in Cambage went out and they only wound up playing against each other for a little bit. Cambage and Jackson both scored over Charles and Fowles a lot. In the second quarter Jackson scored over Candace once and Cambage scored over Candace 3 times and was fouled once. Candace also causes Cambage to miss a few times and to turn it over once.
CP was not the only player to miss the 2014 world Championships EDD and Sylvia also missed because of injuries.
Catch also did not go because of back problems.

shinobimono

The Sound of One Hand Clapping
Reaction Score
I doubt you have to wait for that match-up. Could be every WNBA game played by Candace Parker or Sue Bird or Breanna Stewart will be a referendum on their making or not making the team. Won't that be fun.

Yes it will, I can hardly wait. Popcorn anyone? :cool:

Reaction Score
Nobody from USA Basketball should come out and articulate any reason why or why not someone was selected. This is just not done..... probably because it would just open Pandora's box.

Nobody cried any tears for Becky Hammon when in 2004 she was not chosen after obliterating many NCAA records at Colorado State.

It still amazes me that people deem themselves all powerful and omniscient and state beyond reservation that Parker should absolutely be given a spot on roster.

Is she one of the 12 best? I'll go along with that absolutely. Is there a mitigating factor which pushed someone else by her. Yes to that also.

I said I'd stay away from this subject but I can't all the time. this is a chat board. People offer opinions. How are they supposed to sound when offering an opinion? I try to say to a fault "imo" a lot. Bu it seems your aggravated because those that differ with your opinion don't sound the way you want them to sound. Well I hatt to be rude- but too bad. Get over it.

And I'm still shaking my head on your bringing up Barkley. WHo do you think you're kidding bringing up Barkley? Barkley wasn't supposed to make the team. He wasn't considered an all-time great at the time. By you bringing up Barkley seems so desperate.

As far as Becky-now you've mentioned her more than once. Who would you have put her over? I can maybe see it here. But comparing the college Barkley who by all accounts "came out of nowhere" to Parker is outrageous.

Reaction Score
But one has to wonder about the selections. Did Coach and the committee look backwards instead of forwards? This is a team that relies on some much older players, with half the players thirty or older. And there are only three true guards: Diana Taurasi, Sue Bird, and Lindsey Whalen. All are 33 or older. And looking at Sue Bird's early stats, is she really the player she was four years ago? What if Whalen gets hurt, or gets into foul trouble?

Speaking of playing as a team- Angel McCoughtry? Hard to see who should be taken off. But Sue? Great as she once was. Should she have been chosen, at this point in her career, over Jewell Loyd? Odyssey Sims?

Did Coach Geno go with the players he knew? Did he opt for a comfort factor? Looking back, or looking forward?

This isn't the first national team selection that was enormously controversial for leaving out a national star. Remember Jurgen Klinsmann's decision to leave Landon Donovan off the national team for the World Cup? Ultimately, that decision did not look good.

Pretty controversial....

in 2014 SUe Bird played well I thought. Sims look overmatched. the physicality may be more of a concern than quickness. the other player's were scoring and she was a threat king down open shots.

How I saw it- I could be wrong because I didn't see a lot- but IMO there is a misperception that you need a pg to be an assist king (or scorer) by putting up a high number of assists. this USA team doesn't need that. the forwards and centers will make plays and someone like Bird will compliment them by making shots.If you get a more erratic shooter that is more athletic but better at forcing things- this team doesn't NEED that. Bird looked so superior for example to Sims - she did what she was supposed to.

Set up the offense- don't try to do too much. the 1st pass gets the offense in the flow. you don't need a pg that's going to barrel in the lane and try to create but may force shots or if she is open not be as accurate. this team has enough offense.

As far as quick guards on the other team - we shall see.

And I'll say again- what 2gaurd out there can't be defended by MAya Moore or Tamika Catchings which Angel can guard? Michael Jordan is not playing for the other team.

Reaction Score
I said I'd stay away from this subject but I can't all the time. this is a chat board. People offer opinions. How are they supposed to sound when offering an opinion? I try to say to a fault "imo" a lot. Bu it seems your aggravated because those that differ with your opinion don't sound the way you want them to sound. Well I hatt to be rude- but too bad. Get over it.

And I'm still shaking my head on your bringing up Barkley. WHo do you think you're kidding bringing up Barkley? Barkley wasn't supposed to make the team. He wasn't considered an all-time great at the time. By you bringing up Barkley seems so desperate.

As far as Becky-now you've mentioned her more than once. Who would you have put her over? I can maybe see it here. But comparing the college Barkley who by all accounts "came out of nowhere" to Parker is outrageous.

Yes you are correct I get aggravated hearing the long long diatribe of why Candace is worthy and someone else is not.... you are right it is opinion....

Other than that, i respect your opinion and your dislike of my comments..... no problems here....

Reaction Score

the big deal is == all of us are basketball fans. so yes even though I'm a UConn Husky fan first and foremost - I love to watch greatness. this is a huge reason why I was attracted to UCONN women's basketball. I get to watch greatness so much. It's awesome. I pinch myself how lucky I've been. As a kid I always wondered about UCLA. Now I've "seen it." I would rather watch that Miss State any day vs a crappy played but close men's college game unless it is the UCONN men - then it depends what the stakes are. the UCONN women play with such beauty in form - it is such a joy to watch.

For me as fan- so does Parker. I hear that Parker played with Bird and Dt -- could you imagine in years those three playing for a team in Russia as they play more and more together? That would be awesome to watch too. As much as Parker is an old rival - she is still a joy to watch her greatness. WHile you have mentioned many times the Aussie game- I missed it or most of it- but I saw the championship game. As a fan you or no one else can erase from my mind how the brilliant Geno had her coming off the bench. And Parker at 6'4 is leading fasbreaks with Angel on one side and Whelan on the other. That was so awesome. You get a player with speed and pt guard skills feeding a prime Angel on the break - that is amazing. And I think a bit of Maya was mixed in there too. Parker is no doubt among the tops in the world and when she is leading a break- getting out on the open floor- it is magnificent watch. I feel cheated as a fan that I won't be able to watch that. It's not your big deal but as a fan it's mine. On this board at least I can vent. We'd still beat Australia if we had her for example and didn't have Angel.

wish the subject would die -- but it keeps getting brought up. ANd if there is any close game at the Olympics - you know the announcers will bring it up. It will ruin what I'm watching a bit. I just believe the reasons given are extreme. They don't have to tell me. But it doesn't mean this fan has to like it and can't vent from time to time.

Reaction Score

As far as Becky-now you've mentioned her more than once. Who would you have put her over? I can maybe see it here. But comparing the college Barkley who by all accounts "came out of nowhere" to Parker is outrageous.[/QUOTE]

I will say one last thing before I sign off and leave the commenting to others...... I remember well 1984 and the controversy..... watched a lot of SEC that year.... was my first year of grad school.... according to you Barkley "came out of nowhere"..... but he was #5 overall draft choice in NBA that year... before the Olympic team was chosen..... Jeff Turner (who's he?) was 12 picks later...... out of Vanderbilt... same conference... ..... he made the Olympic team..... Again I appreciate your labeling my citing the Barkley thing "desperate" and "outrageous"..... yes it is your opinion, and you may be right.... as u say it is a chat forum, and I thought it was a valid point.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom