Season win over/unders | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Season win over/unders

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
So you are saying Skip could have stayed and taken the program to 1A? My memory is really bad then because I can't remember one article or discussion on this board that Skip had the option to stay.

But what the hell do I know.

Well he didn't get fired so why wouldn't he been able to? They had just had their best season in history - why would they replace him?

Reaction Score
Some uncertainty? That's what you would call it? From the time Edsall was hired, to the special session of the CT General Assembly in summer of 2000, is a year and half. Not two years. I stand corrected on that. Everything else is accurate.

Everything was finalized before the beginning of his second season as coach. We had a waiver of NCAA attendance and stadium requirements before Edsall ever coached a game.

Reaction Score
Well he didn't get fired so why wouldn't he been able to? They had just had their best season in history - why would they replace him?

No argument here. I guess it was never discussed, to my recollection, so the ASSumption in my mind was made. Not the first and won't be the last.

Wonder how things would have turned out.....

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
No argument here. I guess it was never discussed, to my recollection, so the ASSumption in my mind was made. Not the first and won't be the last.

Hard to say. I wouldn't be shocked if he is back some day.

Reaction Score

Just wanted to point out what I did here since it doesn't happen too often around here. I admitted I was wrong. Just an FYI, in case you've never seen it before, that's what it looks like. :cool:

Reaction Score
Skip resigned. He could have stayed and done the dirty work. The combination of sick mother and opportunity at South Carolina is tough to argue against.
I guess my whole point has been RE was brought in for the move up and not because Skip left.

While you have given some valid points I don't remember it being so iffy when RE was hired. Of course time certainly taints the memory.

By the way....I'm not a PP fan at all but I'm rooting for 8 wins and momentum into 2014 and an AAC championship...with PP at the helm.

AAC championship and the Orange Bowl dude. That's what I want.

Reaction Score
Just wanted to point out what I did here since it doesn't happen too often around here. I admitted I was wrong. Just an FYI, in case you've never seen it before, that's what it looks like. :cool:

Ha. I almost did the same thing (admitted I was wrong). Almost. May 2, 2000 @ 3:40 am after the senate and house CTGA votes were tallied. That's when the move to 1-A football changed from a potential change in the athletic department, to a plan in reality. I was wrong about other dates.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Looking at the win total by building up by win probabilities:

Towson 95%
Maryland 55%
Michigan 15%
Buffalo 75%
USF 80%
Cinci 20%
UCF 30%
Louisville 20%
SMU 60%
Temple 60%
Rutgers 40%
Memphis 90%

I come to 5.85 which mostly jives with what looks like more money coming in on the over to start.

My Buffalo % might be light but the others don't seem conservative to me. That's a pretty tough slate.

Reaction Score
Looking at the win total by building up by win probabilities:

Towson 95%
Maryland 55%
Michigan 15%
Buffalo 75%
USF 80%
Cinci 20%
UCF 30%
Louisville 20%
SMU 60%
Temple 60%
Rutgers 40%
Memphis 90%

I come to 5.85 which mostly jives with what looks like more money coming in on the over to start.

My Buffalo % might be light but the others don't seem conservative to me. That's a pretty tough slate.

Are there people really betting on how many games UCONN will win this year?

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
So you are saying Skip could have stayed and taken the program to 1A? My memory is really bad then because I can't remember one article or discussion on this board that Skip had the option to stay.

But what the hell do I know.

Skip was not forced out in anyway shape or form. He lead UConn to the I-AA playoff for the first time his final year and won the school's first playoff game. He resigned 2 days after UConn lost to Georgia Southern, who I believe were defending 1AA champs that year and made the championship game the year they beat UConn.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Are there people really betting on how many games UCONN will win this year?

Of course there are. Them and the other 60 teams with numbers published.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Skip was not forced out in anyway shape or form. He lead UConn to the I-AA playoff for the first time his final year and won the school's first playoff game. He resigned 2 days after UConn lost to Georgia Southern, who I believe were defending 1AA champs that year and made the championship game the year they beat UConn.

Losing to a team UConn beat twice in two of the craziest games UConn ever played.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Everything was finalized before the beginning of his second season as coach. We had a waiver of NCAA attendance and stadium requirements before Edsall ever coached a game.

I agree - my numbers were off the top of my head. I wrote 2001 instead of 2000, and have since corrected myself. You are correct, we had a waiver, the waiver was set up well before Edsall's arrival. The waiver was expired for 2000 fall though, and as of end of April 2000, the entire stadium project was at a standstill, becuase the CT budget and adriean's landing project was at a classic government impasse. What the legislation was voting for at that point was irrelevant, it was all the side deals that weren't right.

If that early morning session about a week later in 2000, hadn't turned out the way it had - all we had for fall 2000, was an expired waiver, as we were supposed to be an official 1-A program that fall, and up to that point, we had not one, not two, but THREE different multiple stage planning attempts for a 1-A regulation stadium since 1997, that had been shot down in one fashion or another. Without a plan for a stadium in place by fall 2000, the NCAA was not prepared to recognize UCONN as a 1-A football program.

That's where we were. No way to know or predict what may have happened had the budget not passed, or if it had been dragged out into the fall. Doesn't matter, because It didn't happen, but safe to say, we would have been in a very difficult spot to justify the move to 1-A football - to anyone.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Why not, It's certainly on the board in Vegas.

Connecticut Over 5.5 (-140)
Under 5.5 (+100)

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...rst-2013-college-football-win-totals-released

Interesting that the under is even money (not counting vig) but you have to put up $140 to win 100 for the over. That tells me the line is set too low.

Technically I don't think it's on the board in Vegas yet. Just offshore. They opened them at -120 so it probably didn't take much money to get to even/-140.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Gambling amazes me. I'm glad I never got into it.
I'm Eddie Mush when it comes to sports betting because I'm not objective whatsoever for my favorite teams.

I do fairly well on the ponies or the tables when I go once in a blue moon.

Rule numbers 1 thru 102: Only bet what you can afford to lose. That way you can enjoy it for hours on end, and if you do lose, chalk it up to the price of entertainment.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
5dimes released a bunch.

UConn 5.5

BC 4.5
Maryland 6.5
Louisville 10.5
Michigan 9.5
Rutgers 6.5
Syracuse 4.5

UConn would have been under with last year's schedule, and we lost 5 players to the NFL draft. Honestly, this is easy money...UConn will lose at least 9 games this year with this roster.

Maryland seems about right, BC will be as bad as we are, Louisville isn't dominant enough to avoid two slip-ups IMO, Rutgers is a question mark, and Syracuse should win at least 5 in a dreadfully weak ACC, even with a new coaching staff. No opinion on Michigan except to say that I wasn't impressed with them last year.

Reaction Score
Losing to a team UConn beat twice in two of the craziest games UConn ever played.

THe craziest game? That's a good offseason topic. I cast an initial vote for the 6OT game against Villanova in 1989.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
THe craziest game? That's a good offseason topic. I cast an initial vote for the 6OT game against Villanova in 1989.

I was at the two UMass games so I remember those well. There was another Villanova triple OT game in the late 90s too. SMU probably needs to be on the short list.

Husky25

Reaction Score

Do we have to be in attendance?
Pittsburgh Double OT vs. the 'Stache.
Honorable mention: The Larry Taylor Fair Catch game vs. Louisville had its share of WTF moments too.

Does UConn have to win? If not then Temple last year. Missing 5 FGA and shutting down the offense in the 2nd half was pure lunacy.

Though I wasn't there:
Notre Dame was crazy, Down by 14 and coming back to win in OT
The International Bowl was nuts if only because of 2 pass plays in the first half and 5 all game. Buffalo knew the call and still couldn't stop Brown.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The 03 loss to NC State was nuts too. The 4th down TD for State when the running back was laying on his back and the ball fell to him. The comeback including the 2 pt conversions and Edsall's final crazy decision which led to Freddie Aughtry-Linsday (sp) solidfying his place in Wolfpack lore.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The waiver was expired for 2000 fall though, and as of end of April 2000, the entire stadium project was at a standstill, becuase the CT budget and adriean's landing project was at a classic government impasse.

It wasn't at all. The Rent was rammed through the legislature practically overnight after the Pats pulled out of the Hartford stadium deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom