Season win over/unders | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Season win over/unders

Status
Not open for further replies.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
If you cannot comprehend wins one year and then losses the next year against the same teams as being a fallback then you are weak minded. Sorry to be the one to break it to you.

Calling me feeble minded when your only point of analysis is wins and losses, while ignoring context and the circumstances of those records is pretty funny.

You can't even call it analyzing the situations, because it's apparent to anyone with half a brain that a transitioning program is graded on a different level than one coming off a conference championship that has put a handful of guys in the NFL the past two seasons.

Reaction Score
You can't even call it analyzing the situations, because it's apparent to anyone with half a brain that a transitioning program is graded on a different level than one coming off a conference championship that has put a handful of guys in the NFL the past two seasons.

There was no transition in the schedule from 98 to 99, it was basically the same. The fact that we were upgrading would lead me to think we should have won big in 1999, doesn't upgrading mean improving? In 2000 our big and bad upgrading program lost to URI at home. Was that part of Edsall's master plan?

You Edsall strokers are a comical bunch. I don't hate the guy, but in my world he doesn't walk on water the way he seems to do with some of you.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
There was no transition in the schedule from 98 to 99, it was basically the same. The fact that we were upgrading would lead me to think we should have won big in 1999, doesn't upgrading mean improving? In 2000 our big and bad upgrading program lost to URI at home. Was that part of Edsall's master plan?

You Edsall strokers are a comical bunch. I don't hate the guy, but in my world he doesn't walk on water the way he seems to do with some of you.

Go ahead keep embarrassing yourself.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Mets how old are you? Do you have any clue what was going on roster wise those 2 seasons?

I'm not a RE fan but I am straight forward with what he did here.

Clown on.

Reaction Score
I seriously cannot comprehend how anyone can compare transition years to D1A and two seasons following a BCS in the same context. It defies logic.

Me neither. But there is mets2323.......keeping on it, openly defying common sense.

Reaction Score
Actually, Edsall and P's first years (not going into 2nd years) were very similar, just different levels of competition.

Edsall came in the spring after the sudden, and unexpected leaving of a coach, shortly after one of the biggest games (a loss) in the programs history to that point - and inherited a team for that fall, that had graduated a bunch of starters, lost a lot of other productive players and was thin on the depth chart and beginning an entirely new approach to the game.

Pasqualoni came in the spring after the sudden, and unexpected leaving of a coach, shortly after one of the biggest games (a loss) in the programs history to that point - and inherited a team for that fall, that had graduated a bunch of starters, lost a lot of other productive players and was thin on the depth chart and beginning an entirely new approach to the game.

The difference is that in 1998 going into 1999, we were 1-AA and had the remants of Skip Holtz's 1-AA roster. In 2010 going into 2011 we were 1-A, and had the remnants of Edsall's 1-A roster.

The other difference is that in his first 2 years, Pasqualoni has stocked the program with QB's with excellent potential to play at the highest levels of competition, with no signs of slowing down there. Edsall was lucky to land Dan Orlovsky. Other than that position - as far as recruiting goes, both coaches did a good job in recruiting, in their first two years both had losing seasons, and both installed new approaches to the game.

In year three - Edsall went 6-6 with a freshmen QB leading the way that would eventually play in the NFL, and still is in the NFL (to my knowledge). He also did it in a time when the support for the program was at an historic high, with the move to 1-A finally being realized - reality, and no one - questioning whether or not Edsall should keep his job - regardless of results.

In year three - Pasqualoni has got to be feeling the pressure to win. It should be no other way, I think - we simply have got to win this year, and continue to win and compete for league titles - whatever league it is - annually. The highest level of competition and success is the goal now. That wasn't the case in 2002-2003 ten years ago.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
They were nothing alike. One was implementing a ten year plan to scrap everything and build from scratch. Facilities, fanbase, schedule, roster, recruiting, everything down to, yes, the logo and uniforms.

The other inherited a BCS conference champ and for want of a QB, was tasked with taking the reins without the risk of backsliding that a young coach/coordinator might have wrought.

If you want to understand the anti-P sentiment, that's it. I hope he wins 9 games and the offense is productive and the defense plays as well as it has. I'd be happily surprised. But, the justification behind his hire hasn't proven true.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
I think it's important to realize for those that actually don't remember, or know, that when Edsall was hired, the move to 1-A football, while officially approved by the University only about 2 months prior to his hiring, was a LONG, LONG, LONG, LONGLONGLONG, way away from being reality, and in Edsall's first two seasons, the move to 1-A was essentially on it's death bed for much of the time and hit way more road blocks, than smooth pavement.

Edsall's first two seasons were 1-AA football, changing conference opponents regularly. Who remembers when we were in the A-10?

Pasqualoni's first two seasons were 1-A football, changing conference opponents regularly.....etc.

It would be nice to have a stable college sports environment at UCONN. We haven't had one in a long time. It would also be nice to get back to winning more football games than we lose. Things would be less complicated...

Over / under? 8

Reaction Score
They were nothing alike. One was implementing a ten year plan to scrap everything and build from scratch. Facilities, fanbase, schedule, roster, recruiting, everything down to, yes, the logo and uniforms.

The other inherited a BCS conference champ and for want of a QB, was tasked with taking the reins without the risk of backsliding that a young coach/coordinator might have wrought.

If you want to understand the anti-P sentiment, that's it. I hope he wins 9 games and the offense is productive and the defense plays as well as it has. I'd be happily surprised. But, the justification behind his hire hasn't proven true.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

You are just wrong man, really wrong. Both coaches inherited programs that were essentially in the same condition. The only difference was the level of competition. 1-AA vs. 1-A.

Edsall was hired as the coach of 1-AA program, that was in the very earliest planning stages of a POTENTIAL move to 1-A football. None of what you are talking about was done in Edsall's first few years. Edsall had a big part in developing things 2001-2010, he was 1-AA football coach prior, nothing more, nothing less.

Reaction Score
You are just wrong man, really wrong. Both coaches inherited programs that were essentially in the same condition. The only difference was the level of competition. 1-AA vs. 1-A.

Edsall was hired as the coach of 1-AA program, that was in the very earliest planning stages of a POTENTIAL move to 1-A football. None of what you are talking about was done in Edsall's first few years. Edsall had a big part in developing things 2001-2010, he was 1-AA football coach prior, nothing more, nothing less.

I'm pretty sure the move to 1A was all set and Edsall was brought in to take us to the promised land.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure the move to 1A was all set and Edsall was brought in to take us to the promised land.

Coach Edsall was a young assistant looking to make his name as a head coach.

Coach Pasqualoni is a retread with nothing more to offer any team/program, let alone a growing program coming off a BCS Bowl game. The Cowboys were probably all too happy he left.

Reaction Score
in Edsall's first two seasons, the move to 1-A was essentially on it's death bed for much of the time and hit way more road blocks, than smooth pavement.

This is simply not the case. There was some uncertainty in 1999, but by the time we kicked off in 2000 everything was determined.

I grew frustrated with Edsall in his last two seasons and felt that his teams started losing games that they should have won due to his failure to adapt, but the situation that he was brought into and that which P inherited are not close, and it is pointless to argue otherwise. P was an established head coach brought in to be a caretaker for a program at a crossroads in its development. Edsall was a new coach (no head coaching experience) who was expected to learn on the job while establishing a foundation for success.

Reaction Score

Randy Edsall was hired shortly after Skip Holtz left for South Carolina in December 1998. Between 1997 and his hiring in 1999, the plans for upgrading to 1-A had essentially gone down the drain form BOT official approval, and were on life support - essentially on hold, while a very few people scrambled to try to make it happen. Randy Edsall was not one of them. UCONN missed the contracted date for entry into the Big East conference in summer of 1998, because the stadium plans had fallen apart. It would be two full years of chaos and uncertainty before the upgrade was official in 2000. There was no guarantee at all in Edsall's first two seasons that we would ever play a 1-A football game.

Reaction Score
Coach Edsall was a young assistant looking to make his name as a head coach.

Coach Pasqualoni is a retread with nothing more to offer any team/program, let alone a growing program coming off a BCS Bowl game. The Cowboys were probably all too happy he left.

I agree - the two coaches are yin and yang. Complete opposites. (they actually did work together at one point at Syracuse too)

But the situations they each inherited at UCONN, were remarkably similar - even to the constantly changing conference schedules - and uncertainty as to revenue streams, post season, etc. The difference is one inherited a 1-AA program, the other inherited a 1-A program. The fact that Edsall was the same coach that inherited the 1-AA program, and then passed on the 1-A program, is irrelevant.

Reaction Score
This is simply not the case. There was some uncertainty in 1999, but by the time we kicked off in 2000 everything was determined.

I grew frustrated with Edsall in his last two seasons and felt that his teams started losing games that they should have won due to his failure to adapt, but the situation that he was brought into and that which P inherited are not close, and it is pointless to argue otherwise. P was an established head coach brought in to be a caretaker for a program at a crossroads in its development. Edsall was a new coach (no head coaching experience) who was expected to learn on the job while establishing a foundation for success.

Some uncertainty? That's what you would call it? From the time Edsall was hired, to the special session of the CT General Assembly in summer of 2000, is a year and half. Not two years. I stand corrected on that. Everything else is accurate.

Reaction Score
Type Randy Edsall hired UConn in Google and check out Courant timeline.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
One clarification. UConn didn't go 6-6 with Orlovsky as a freshman. He was a sophmore.

If P turns it around and wins all will be forgotten. To compare his job to Edsall's is just stupid though.

Edsall's competition improved. P got to so things like trade WVU for Temple and SDSU for Memphis.

Reaction Score
Type Randy Edsall hired UConn in Google and check out Courant timeline.

and? it took a special general assembly vote called by Rowland in summer 2000, to get Rentschler field approved on the coat tails of the adrien's landing, Hartford vitalization stuff, otherwise fall 2000 was NOT going to be our first 1-A season, and we may never have had the opportunity to move up again. If that vote and the funding for a stadium not been pushed through the General Assembly that summer, we would not have played a game recognized as 1-A that fall, and we may have never played a 1-A game.

It was that close to never happening. We were in serious SHIITE that summer. (edit: for those that are concerned about the dates: May 2, 2000 at 3:40 am. That's when the CT senate and house approved the necessary legislation for UCONN to move to 1-A around having a facility, and football officially became reality and nothing Randy Edsall did had anything to do with it.)

If you don't believe me, fine. I'm done talking about it, been over this many times. I'm much more interested in fall 2013.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I agree - the two coaches are yin and yang. Complete opposites. (they actually did work together at one point at Syracuse too)

But the situations they each inherited at UCONN, were remarkably similar - even to the constantly changing conference schedules - and uncertainty as to revenue streams, post season, etc. The difference is one inherited a 1-AA program, the other inherited a 1-A program. The fact that Edsall was the same coach that inherited the 1-AA program, and then passed on the 1-A program, is irrelevant.

Another difference is one coach seemed to design his game plan to take advantage of his teams' talents. The other seemed to keep on trying one thing with consistently inconsistent results.

The cries of underwhelming talent will either be proven right or silenced forever. This is year 3. Time for results.

Reaction Score
One clarification. UConn didn't go 6-6 with Orlovsky as a freshman. He was a sophmore.

If P turns it around and wins all will be forgotten. To compare his job to Edsall's is just stupid though.

Edsall's competition improved. P got to so things like trade WVU for Temple and SDSU for Memphis.

I admit my dates have been off a bit. It's been well over a decade. All I know is that the situations that Edsall and Pasqualoni inherited at UCONN were remarkably similar except that one inherited a 1-AA program, the other inherited a 1-A program. I also was clear in the first thing I said about this -SIMILAR IN THEIR FIRST YEARS. I've also been clear that until the General assembly finally approved the stadium plans and funding, we were litearlly weeks away from having to back down from 1-A football. Not a choice mind you, we would NOT have been recognized as a 1-A program in 2000. There was no guarantee that vote was going to go in UCONN's favor. many prior votes had gone against.

Whaler - you're the only guy that I'm going to back to this for. 2013 is all that matters now.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I admit my dates have been off a bit. It's been well over a decade. All I know is that the situations that Edsall and Pasqualoni inherited at UCONN were remarkably similar except that one inherited a 1-AA program, the other inherited a 1-A program. I also was clear in the first thing I said about this -SIMILAR IN THEIR FIRST YEARS. I've also been clear that until the General assembly finally approved the stadium plans and funding, we were litearlly weeks away from having to back down from 1-A football. Not a choice mind you, we would NOT have been recognized as a 1-A program in 2000. There was no guarantee that vote was going to go in UCONN's favor. many prior votes had gone against.

Whaler - you're the only guy that I'm going to back to this for. 2013 is all that matters now.

Oh I agree. If he wins going forward I don't care about 2011 or 2012.

Reaction Score
I guess my whole point has been RE was brought in for the move up and not because Skip left.

While you have given some valid points I don't remember it being so iffy when RE was hired. Of course time certainly taints the memory.

By the way....I'm not a PP fan at all but I'm rooting for 8 wins and momentum into 2014 and an AAC championship...with PP at the helm.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I guess my whole point has been RE was brought in for the move up and not because Skip left.

While you have given some valid points I don't remember it being so iffy when RE was hired. Of course time certainly taints the memory.

By the way....I'm not a PP fan at all but I'm rooting for 8 wins and momentum into 2014 and an AAC championship...with PP at the helm.

Skip resigned. He could have stayed and done the dirty work. The combination of sick mother and opportunity at South Carolina is tough to argue against.

Reaction Score
Skip resigned. He could have stayed and done the dirty work. The combination of sick mother and opportunity at South Carolina is tough to argue against.

So you are saying Skip could have stayed and taken the program to 1A? My memory is really bad then because I can't remember one article or discussion on this board that Skip had the option to stay.

But what the hell do I know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog