Schedule PC | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Schedule PC

C

Chief00

So, wait a second, you want UConn to play 8 top OOC games?

As for being the closest high quality team to Storrs, how tightly do you want to draw that travel ring? I could say Hartford is the most high quality team within 25 miles, or Yale the highest quality other than UConn in Ct., etc.

For every home and home you schedule, you remove 2 $$ games. Look at this year: Auburn, Arizona away. Because you can't balance these games easily, especially when you're dedicated to MSG and a top tourney.

In other words, you can't do it. You can't have 8 top OOC games & MSG & a top tourney, unless you're willing to go to 3 $$ cupcake games.

This is insane that we're even discussing this.

Your math is off - don't have the energy to explain it. Let me simplify, play good teams and the math will work.

Reaction Score
Your math is off - don't have the energy to explain it. Let me simplify, play good teams and the math will work.

So you're saying we're afraid or something?

Is Arizona not good? Villanova? Oregon? Auburn? Syracuse? These teams aren't good? Not to mention 2 against Michigan St., Arkansas or North Carolina.

In other words, name a school that scheduled 8 tougher games. Just one.

Reaction Score
So you're saying we're afraid or something?

Is Arizona not good? Villanova? Oregon? Auburn? Syracuse? These teams aren't good? Not to mention 2 against Michigan St., Arkansas or North Carolina.

In other words, name a school that scheduled 8 tougher games. Just one.

Again with this Auburn praise... SMH. Auburn is not good. I would label them a "non-RPI killer with a potential future under Pearl." Perhaps you should use Monmouth as they have been much better over the past few years.

Reaction Score
Again with this Auburn praise... SMH. Auburn is not good. I would label them a "non-RPI killer with a potential future under Pearl." Perhaps you should use Monmouth as they have been much better over the past few years.

I wrote above that I agreed I'd rather be playing PCthan Auburn. BUT, Auburn is a P5 that brings in a sprinkle of top 100 recruits, and they play in the ACC. In that sense, they are formidable competition. What I mean is, they are not a cupcake at all. They are a P5 opponent, and we have a home and home with them. We are already playing 7 of these games, but I guess people are calling for at least 8, if not more. And I'm saying no one else does that, and that you are being unrealistic.

Reaction Score
I wrote above that I agreed I'd rather be playing PCthan Auburn. BUT, Auburn is a P5 that brings in a sprinkle of top 100 recruits, and they play in the ACC. In that sense, they are formidable competition. What I mean is, they are not a cupcake at all. They are a P5 opponent, and we have a home and home with them. We are already playing 7 of these games, but I guess people are calling for at least 8, if not more. And I'm saying no one else does that, and that you are being unrealistic.

Jebus...Auburn in the ACC??!?! No, they play in the SEC, also known as the top to bottom weakest P5 conference. I just don't get how you can praise a game with Auburn while hating on a potential game with Providence...

Reaction Score
Jebus...Auburn in the ACC??!?! No, they play in the SEC, also known as the top to bottom weakest P5 conference. I just don't get how you can praise a game with Auburn while hating on a potential game with Providence...

You actually read my post above where I stated the opposite of what you said I wrote?

Reaction Score
You actually read my post above where I stated the opposite of what you said I wrote?

I read your post saying you'd rather play PC than Auburn, but then you've also been very critical of playing PC while, at the same time, bringing up Auburn as a quality opponent. You can't have it both ways...

Reaction Score
I read your post saying you'd rather play PC than Auburn, but then you've also been very critical of playing PC while, at the same time, bringing up Auburn as a quality opponent. You can't have it both ways...

No, I'm critical of people saying that UConn somehow doesn't have a strong OOC schedule and that it should be scheduling PC. Yes, I'm critical of that for a number of reasons, but here are the best 2.

1. UConn has a strong OOC.
2. If we're talking about future schedules, there are a lot of teams out there I'd rather play before PC. A lot.

Auburn is only part of this discussion because our AD scheduled a home and home with them, and they are on the schedule. They are otherwise irrelevant. They were not on my list of 40 I'd prefer UConn to play. But they are on the schedule, and it is going to be a pretty tough game. Auburn is only relevant in the sense that it is one of the 7 tough OOC games that UConn scheduled this year.

If you're talking about the future, then I will go back to my earlier post: there are approximately 40 teams I'd rather play before PC. If we play PC, that's fine too.

C

Chief00

No, I'm critical of people saying that UConn somehow doesn't have a strong OOC schedule and that it should be scheduling PC. Yes, I'm critical of that for a number of reasons, but here are the best 2.

1. UConn has a strong OOC.
2. If we're talking about future schedules, there are a lot of teams out there I'd rather play before PC. A lot.

Auburn is only part of this discussion because our AD scheduled a home and home with them, and they are on the schedule. They are otherwise irrelevant. They were not on my list of 40 I'd prefer UConn to play. But they are on the schedule, and it is going to be a pretty tough game. Auburn is only relevant in the sense that it is one of the 7 tough OOC games that UConn scheduled this year.

If you're talking about the future, then I will go back to my earlier post: there are approximately 40 teams I'd rather play before PC. If we play PC, that's fine too.

We are talking about a OOC HOME schedule for loyal season ticket holders and yes even for casual fans like yourself.

Reaction Score
We are talking about a OOC HOME schedule for loyal season ticket holders and yes even for casual fans like yourself.

If you're whining like a baby, you're a casual fan. 7 tough OOC games. What more could you want? Stop whining.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
FriarJ,

Are you suggesting that the solution would be for PC to play UConn at UConn in an arrangement similar to what we've done recently with the likes of Quinnipiac, Vermont, Coppin St., etc?

If you are as fixated on the term 'home' as you believe Upstater should be the only way adding PC makes any sense is as a replacement for one of the home game only opponents we face at the start of every season. The possibility of it also costing us a home date in s subsequent season (or replacing a home date with a neutral site game) makes it an entirely different argument.

C

Chief00

Anyone who thinks our home schedule is fine doesn't buy season tickets and attend the games.

Reaction Score
Anyone who thinks our home schedule is fine doesn't buy season tickets and attend the games.

Can't complain about the conference home draw. The league was generous with its pairings. UConn will play UCF (Dawkins), Cincinnati (Cronin), East Carolina (Lebo), Memphis (Tubby), USF (Gregory), SMU (Jankovich), Temple (Dunphy), Tulsa (Haith) and Wichita State (Greg Marshall) at home as part of conference play in the American.

OOC, Nova (Wright) highlights the draw. Syracuse (Boehiem) at MSG.

Reaction Score

Have you ever heard of a home-and-home? Apparently not. It means you have to return the games.

I challenge you to name me another team with more than 7 touch games. Go ahead.

UConn fans would rather have an MSG game than an extra home game against P5. That much is obvious. Why don't you get that?

C

Chief00

Can't complain about the conference home draw. The league was generous with its pairings. UConn will play UCF (Dawkins), Cincinnati (Cronin), East Carolina (Lebo), Memphis (Tubby), USF (Gregory), SMU (Jankovich), Temple (Dunphy), Tulsa (Haith) and Wichita State (Greg Marshall) at home as part of conference play in the American.

OOC, Nova (Wright) highlights the draw. Syracuse (Boehiem) at MSG.

When you have to slip in a MSG "Home game" to make your case, that's not in the season ticket package - because it's not a home OOC game - that says it all.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
The issue isn't whether or not the home schedule is 'fine'.

Anyone who thinks that adding PC to the schedule would be in place of an opponent like Central Connecticut or Boston U doesn't understand how this works and is the epitome of a casual fan.

Anyone who believes that a home and home with PC would be materially more beneficial to our program than any non conference home and home that we've played since we joined the AAC needs to explain how that is the case.

If we were to start scheduling home and homes with former conference mates there are a number of schools who should be prioritized above PC, even if they did finally win one NCAA tournament game this millenium.

C

Chief00

Anyone who thinks that adding PC to the schedule would be in place of an opponent like Central Connecticut or Boston U doesn't understand how this works and is the epitome of a casual fan.

Anyone who believes that a home and home with PC would be materially more beneficial to our program than any non conference home and home that we've played since we joined the AAC needs to explain how that is the case.

If we were to start scheduling home and homes with former conference mates there are a number of schools who should be prioritized above PC, even if they did finally win one NCAA tournament game this millenium.

I don't agree that's how XL home games work - we could get 15k fans for PC vs 8k for a cupcake at XL - so that's the equalvalent of playing a cupcake for 2 home games. Additionally, we have gone to pricing games differently the last few years in basketball and football - not one size fits all. So we might charge $35 or $40 for PC vs $20-$25 for s cupcake.
Lew was a good AD and a friend but the cash cow model he used is now outdated - people have too many entertainment options - and tickets are no longer the same $15 per game for every game. You need to be more nimble today.
If we could get additional TV money for better games that would help too.

Reaction Score
When you have to slip in a MSG "Home game" to make your case, that's not in the season ticket package - because it's not a home OOC game - that says it all.

MSG is central to all of this. UConn could easily forget about MSG and do another home and home. That would work.

Remove MSG. You have 2 home games against P5 and 2 away games. Simple as that.

I'll say this again. NO team out of 3,000 plus has 8 games against P5.

This means that, given the MSG game, UConn could have had EITHER 2 home games against P5 or else 1. And that all depended on what happened last year or the previous year, or even the future, and what they owed.

If you get rid of MSG, then of course you can have 2 P5 home games. But if you keep MSG, and you add another P5 home game (which you'll owe a return on next year) you will be doing something that no other school in America does, and that is play 8 P5 homes games, or more.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

It would be very beneficial because we get two home games out of it. One in Hartford, one in Providence. My stipulation to PC for the series would be this. You must sell single game tickets to the game at the Dunk. None of that crap they pulled towards the end of the Big East selling UConn games only in a 3 game package.

Do that and half the folks in the Dunk are wearing blue. Plus, travel costs are negligible for the team.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom