nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Only top-25 teams to lose this week were:
#14 Stanford lost to #9 Ohio State
#21 Cal lost to #23 Missouri
#24 Arizona State lost to #7 Mississippi State and to Green Bay
(Not a great week for the Pac-12.)

#24 ASU will drop out, and either Oklahoma or Green Bay will enter.
#21 Cal may also drop out.

Also Oregon State lost at Duke.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
ESPN owns the rights to all AAC WCBB games so they have already paid for the rights to them. The AAC has no say in which games they choose to telecast. But ... ESPN is bleeding money and cutting jobs like crazy so I doubt they are in the market to purchase any more 'franchises' in WCBB including tournament rights. ESPN made a side agreement with SNY to allow them to continue broadcasting Uconn WCBB, and in return SNY gives them the streaming package for all of the SNY broadcasts. ESPN has made similar deals with the SEC and other P5 conferences, but those conferences do not have separate networks that broadcast all available WCBB games so the ESPN streaming is much spottier.

The actual issue here is that SC, ND, Stanford, Baylor, etc have NOT worked hard enough to package and market their WCBB games in a way that a local or regional network wants to invest in broadcasting all their games. Until they do, Uconn will be unique.

ESPN would not have spent the money to broadcast the Uconn/MSU game and certainly not the next game in NV or any of the other 20+ games that SNY will broadcast. But they will be happy to add them to their streaming service because it costs them basically nothing.

AND yes! CPTV proved that there actually was money to be made by making the investment to broadcast a season of WCBB. SNY jumped in AFTER CPTV had proved the value of the product.

All Uconn fans should say a special thanks to CPTV and their vision.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Also Oregon State lost at Duke.
Oops yeah, I felt like I was forgetting something.

*Really* not a great week for the Pac-12. The only genuine upset IMO is the Arizona State-Green Bay game, and even then it's only a mild one. Cal was preseason-ranked before the injury to Cayton, so the Missouri loss probably to be expected.

Edit: I will add one upset in the Pac-12's favor: today's Washington State win over Rutgers. Didn't expect that at all, given how both teams had been playing before today.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
ESTERO, Fla. -- Jackie Young and Notre Dame sent a clear message Sunday night. The Irish are a force yet again. Arike Ogunbowale scored 23 points, Young added 22 on her way to tournament MVP honors and No. 6 Notre Dame beat No. 3 South Carolina 92-85 on Sunday night to take the Gulf Coast Showcase championship and snap the defending national champion Gamecocks' 17-game winning streak.

[Story]

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Debbie Antonelli who is one of the organizers of the Gulf Coast Classic said on twitter that they have been trying to get a commitment from a TV Network to televised their games and haven't had much luck. That is why FloHoop streamed the So. Carolina vs Notre Dame Game and the other games in the Thanksgiving Tournament. If Gulf Coast Classic is able to continue to get teams like So Carolina, Notre Dame and USF, I would think they could get a TV Contract. I wasn't impressed with the Men's lineup of teams.

FloHoops is a subscription based sports service, so they have no reason to give rights to ESPN to televise the game.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Tyasha Harris's exit in the second with 2 fouls appears to have been the difference maker. Unfortunately this gives ND "mo" headed into the UConn game.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Tyasha Harris's exit in the second with 2 fouls appears to have been the difference maker. Unfortunately this gives ND "mo" headed into the UConn game.

You want to be the best, you got to beat the best. Looking forward to the challenge of a ND team that is clicking and hopefully undefeated.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
You want to be the best, you got to beat the best. Looking forward to the challenge of a ND team that is clicking and hopefully undefeated.

Oh I agree. Besides we have way mo mo.

Reaction Score
So it is nearly 9:30 am EST the day after the game. ESPNW website has no mention of it, except for the score at the top. But they still have the blurb about UConn losing last year! :confused:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
So it is nearly 9:30 am EST the day after the game. ESPNW website has no mention of it, except for the score at the top. But they still have the blurb about UConn losing last year! :confused:

Hey, there is UConn and everybody else, right? I agree. ESPN does an indifferent job of keeping current unless it decides something deserves overkill. They are excellent at overkill.

Reaction Score
Either that or ESPN is all over the men's PK80 like flies on honey. For a prime time game, two top men's teams will draw 10x more eyeballs than two top women's teams.

Kenny Kallina is in general an @sshat who makes factually incorrect statements and gets embarrassed by the truth when people respond with facts on his Twitter. He's also the leader of the UConn ESPN conspiracy, UConn is bad and Geno wins b/c he has "all the best players." The other week he was posting nonsense about why would anyone go to UConn b/c of the academics are not good, it's cold in CT, bad location, etc.. It's best to only look at Kallina for comedy relief and be humored by someone chasing windmills.

Last edited:

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
The actual issue here is that SC, ND, Stanford, Baylor, etc have NOT worked hard enough to package and market their WCBB games in a way that a local or regional network wants to invest in broadcasting all their games. Until they do, Uconn will be unique.

All of ND's home and conference games are on ESPN3 (via the ACC Network Extra banner). For home games, I think they just broadcast whatever ND puts out, as the announcers seem to be students. The only gaps are for away non-conference games. Most of those can be found on either a dedicated network for the conference (e.g. PAC-12 or Big Ten networks) or a regional sports network.

I think the only games that I will not be able to watch with my cable package this year are the three from this tournament and the game at Penn (which will be televised on NBC Sports Philadelphia, which I believe is only available regionally).

The most logical regional sports network for ND to partner with would probably be NBC Sports Chicago (formerly CSN Chicago). However, this time of year NBC Sports Chicago has both Blackhawks and Bulls games, so they have plenty of winter content.

A couple of years ago, ND played an OT game against UCLA at one of these tournaments. I believe that tournament had a free live stream but it was of very low quality.

Whatever their other merits, these tournaments stink for fans. I'm not really on the warpath in general because I can watch all the other games outside of these holiday tournaments.

Reaction Score
LOL Kenny. There's no bias. ESPN is just incompetent.

ESPN has contracts and rights to home games for SEC, ACC, and many other conferences. They are making a business decision not to pay extra for a neutral site game. ESPN is not the financial juggernaut it once was, they have been laying people off the last few years. How wise is it pay for a game not in your contracts that will be going up against Sunday NFL games? If SC and ND were really concerned about being on tv they should schedule a home/home series, which ESPN has rights to via ACC and SEC deals.

Last edited:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
It was a good game all the way around IMHO. Plenty of great performances to point to, ND built a big lead in the 2nd half, and SC attempted a furious comeback. Both teams are known for playing good defense, so perhaps the high score is simply due to better offense. I'm very glad ND won - I think it showed that at this time, SC is likely on the outside looking in (at making the final 4).

SC likely falls to 6th or 7th. UCONN, Texas, L'ville, UCLA and ND should all be ahead of them. MAYBE Miss State. Point is, IMHO UCONN and Texas are the 2 best teams, it's hard to pick #3 and 4 at this time. Maybe UCLA and ND. Not sure what to make of L'ville. I'd love to see UCLA square off against SC.

Lots of hoops left to be played. Lots of time for ALL teams to improve (It never ceases to amaze me how people will sometimes reference a single team saying "they will be so much better by March" - as if no one else will improve)...

JMO but I think UCONN is in a class by itself, and Texas is in its' own class as the #2 team. After that there are a bunch of teams fighting it out for the rest of the top 5... ND, L'ville, UCLA, SC, Miss State, Baylor. In fact, at this time, there's my pick for the elite 8 as of right now... and probably the 1 and 2 seeds...

Reaction Score
JMO but I think UCONN is in a class by itself, and Texas is in its' own class as the #2 team. After that there are a bunch of teams fighting it out for the rest of the top 5... ND, L'ville, UCLA, SC, Miss State, Baylor. In fact, at this time, there's my pick for the elite 8 as of right now... and probably the 1 and 2 seeds...

Texas really has played nobody of note thus far, How good are they really? Their first real test is #12 TN(12/10). TN has also played a pretty weak schedule thus far.

Plebe

Reaction Score
It was a good game all the way around IMHO. Plenty of great performances to point to, ND built a big lead in the 2nd half, and SC attempted a furious comeback. Both teams are known for playing good defense, so perhaps the high score is simply due to better offense. I'm very glad ND won - I think it showed that at this time, SC is likely on the outside looking in (at making the final 4).

SC likely falls to 6th or 7th. UCONN, Texas, L'ville, UCLA and ND should all be ahead of them. MAYBE Miss State. Point is, IMHO UCONN and Texas are the 2 best teams, it's hard to pick #3 and 4 at this time. Maybe UCLA and ND. Not sure what to make of L'ville. I'd love to see UCLA square off against SC.

Lots of hoops left to be played. Lots of time for ALL teams to improve (It never ceases to amaze me how people will sometimes reference a single team saying "they will be so much better by March" - as if no one else will improve)...

I agree with everything here except that I'm withholding my opinion on Texas until I see them against other top-flight teams. My sense is that there's very little separation for now in teams 2 through 9.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Texas really has played nobody of note thus far, How good are they really? Their first real test is #12 TN(12/10). TN has also played a pretty weak schedule thus far.
I'm really loving how Tennessee fans are celebrating the Cancun wins as if the team had reached the Final Four. Their game against Marquette was really just a two-hour layup drill, that's how bad the defense was, and Marquette's tallest player is about as tall as Mercedes Russell's collarbone.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Just a bit of a follow-up to my previous post:
1. Production costs to locate cameras and broadcast equipment, crew, and on air talent, house and feed them and market to advertisers is a pretty big expense. No idea of what the bottom line number is, but it is definitely not peanuts. And advertisers are not exactly competing for minutes on most WCBB broadcasts. There is a reason why the power 5 in house networks are not setting up shop at all their WCBB games - Big10, Pac10, SEC networks are doing much better than they used to, but it isn't complete and they are definitely not sending out traveling crews to follow even their marquee teams. (We are not talking about the sort of video streaming provided at HS tournaments and for Uconn exhibition games which is generally only worthy of low quality computer streaming.)

2. ESPN 'owns the rights' to 1000s of sporting events that they do not bother to cover - their expenses would not cover the projected revenues from broadcasting them. If they can find someone else to create the production for any of those events, they are very willing to cede their rights in return for access to the product for their own platforms.

3. I suspect the FloHoops was unwilling to cede streaming or broadcast rights to their own production without compensation as they made a little money I am sure from their own streaming service subscriptions. And ESPN with other broadcast product already available during that time period wasn't going to spend the money.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I agree with everything here except that I'm withholding my opinion on Texas until I see them against other top-flight teams. My sense is that there's very little separation for now in teams 2 through 9.
Totally correct. However, in spite of a 12 point win over LSU (any game vs. LSU is going to be ugly), they are doing all of it without Joyner Holmes. I suspect Holmes will replace Caron-Goudreau in the starting lineup when she comes back at Christmas. It will certainly make for an interesting matchup on 1/5...

Reaction Score
Kenny Kallina is in general an @sshat who makes factually incorrect statements and gets embarrassed by the truth when people respond with facts on his Twitter. He's also the leader of the UConn ESPN conspiracy, UConn is bad and Geno wins b/c he has "all the best players." The other week he was posting nonsense about why would anyone go to UConn b/c of the academics are not good, it's cold in CT, bad location, etc.. It's best to only look at Kallina for comedy relief and be humored by someone chasing windmills.
Wow what a jerk! Academics are not good? Better than most of the P5. Too cold? No more so than your average B1G school. Bad location? Yeah it really really sucks to be located in suburban Connecticut between NYC and Boston in one of the top media markets in the country. It would definitely be so much better if we could be in a place where the nearest city is several hours away and surrounded by cornfields and cows for miles.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
All of ND's home and conference games are on ESPN3 (via the ACC Network Extra banner). For home games, I think they just broadcast whatever ND puts out, as the announcers seem to be students. The only gaps are for away non-conference games. Most of those can be found on either a dedicated network for the conference (e.g. PAC-12 or Big Ten networks) or a regional sports network.

I think the only games that I will not be able to watch with my cable package this year are the three from this tournament and the game at Penn (which will be televised on NBC Sports Philadelphia, which I believe is only available regionally).

The most logical regional sports network for ND to partner with would probably be NBC Sports Chicago (formerly CSN Chicago). However, this time of year NBC Sports Chicago has both Blackhawks and Bulls games, so they have plenty of winter content.

A couple of years ago, ND played an OT game against UCLA at one of these tournaments. I believe that tournament had a free live stream but it was of very low quality.

Whatever their other merits, these tournaments stink for fans. I'm not really on the warpath in general because I can watch all the other games outside of these holiday tournaments.
Most of the problems with access occur with the OOC schedule with games against mid-major teams, though as you say a lot of the P5 production is 'student' quality and dependent on the host school. I think that through last year some of the SEC schools did not create product for WCBB games so there were a few 'black-outs.' And holiday tournaments have always been a problem especially the ones in exotic locations as very few broadcasters are interested in the expense of sending crews.

In the past both CPTV and SNY have purchased local production to broadcast for Uconn away games - not sure any of the P5 in-house networks have ever done that.
ESPN has contracts and rights to home games for SEC, ACC, and many other conferences. They are making a business decision not to pay extra for a neutral site game. ESPN is not the financial juggernaut it once was, they have been laying people off the last few years. How wise is it pay for a game not in your contracts that will be going up against Sunday NFL games? If SC and ND were really concerned about being on tv they should schedule a home/home series, which ESPN has rights to via ACC and SEC deals.
They are also only paying production costs for a tiny fraction of the games they have rights to. That is the biggest determinant. Not sure how their contracts work with the P5 networks, but I suspect it is similar to the SNY contract - 'We own it, but we aren't spending the money to produce it, so if you want to produce it you can and the 'rights fee' payment to us is that you provide us with the streaming content.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wilson

Top Bottom