SC Game: How Much Difference Would Caroline and Azzi Really Make? | The Boneyard

SC Game: How Much Difference Would Caroline and Azzi Really Make?

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I did slog through the entire Postgame Thread for the South Carolina game. When you get past the referee complaints, there seems to be a consensus that if UConn only lost by 4 points with its current active roster, then it should certainly win when Caroline and Azzi are added to the mix. Geno elaborated on the thinking behind this position during his press conference, where he said that the only way for this roster to beat SC is to take and make enough 3's to offset the 2's that the Gamecocks are inevitably going to get on the offensive boards.

He implied pretty strongly that even with a 10-player roster, UConn this year doesn't have the horses to really contest SC's offensive boards -- he said that to do that, you would need about four 6-5 players who could be freely substituted so that none of them would have to worry about fouls. Unfortunately, I think he's right, and that will still be the case when Azzi and Caroline return. It would be different if Ice were returning or if Jana could play immediately. So I think it's unlikely that UConn will do better against SC's O-boards in April than they did in today's game.

But (so the theory goes) when Azzi and Caroline are on the floor, SC won't be able to drape Lou and those three shooters (with one or two timely contributions from Nika and Aubrey) can make enough 3's to offset SC's second-chance points. But I'm not sure that I buy into that theory. The reason is that SC's defensive plan today was to guard UConn's perimeter shooters so closely that 3's were not open, even if it meant that those perimeter players could drive past them, which UConn certainly did. (Did anyone notice that UConn actually got more points in the paint today than SC, by a margin of 42-38?) Dawn apparently figured that if she could turn UConn's 3-point shooters into 2-point penetrators, SC would win that trade-off, and that is exactly what happened.

For some reason that I haven't figured out, the screens and cuts that usually provide open looks for 3-point shots weren't working today, or weren't being used. I do think that Azzi and Caroline are better than any of today's players at seeing where they can move without the ball to get open, so that may be the difference that they will make. I certainly hope so ...

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Geno said he wanted the team to make 10 3s today.... guessing Azzi would have helped with that goal.
... only if she could get open for 3's. That is the question that I'm raising -- could she get open against today's SC defense?

Reaction Score
I did slog through the entire Postgame Thread for the South Carolina game. When you get past the referee complaints, there seems to be a consensus that if UConn only lost by 4 points with its current active roster, then it should certainly win when Caroline and Azzi are added to the mix. Geno elaborated on the thinking behind this position during his press conference, where he said that the only way for this roster to beat SC is to take and make enough 3's to offset the 2's that the Gamecocks are inevitably going to get on the offensive boards.

He implied pretty strongly that even with a 10-player roster, UConn this year doesn't have the horses to really contest SC's offensive boards -- he said that to do that, you would need about four 6-5 players who could be freely substituted so that none of them would have to worry about fouls. Unfortunately, I think he's right, and that will still be the case when Azzi and Caroline return. It would be different if Ice were returning or if Jana could play immediately. So I think it's unlikely that UConn will do better against SC's O-boards in April than they did in today's game.

But (so the theory goes) when Azzi and Caroline are on the floor, SC won't be able to drape Lou and those three shooters (with one or two timely contributions from Nika and Aubrey) can make enough 3's to offset SC's second-chance points. But I'm not sure that I buy into that theory. The reason is that SC's defensive plan today was to guard UConn's perimeter shooters so closely that 3's were not open, even if it meant that those perimeter players could drive past them, which UConn certainly did. (Did anyone notice that UConn actually got more points in the paint today than SC, by a margin of 42-38?) Dawn apparently figured that if she could turn UConn's 3-point shooters into 2-point penetrators, SC would win that trade-off, and that is exactly what happened.

For some reason that I haven't figured out, the screens and cuts that usually provide open looks for 3-point shots weren't working today, or weren't being used. I do think that Azzi and Caroline are better than any of today's players at seeing where they can move without the ball to get open, so that may be the difference that they will make. I certainly hope so ...
When you only have one real 3 point threat (Lou) on the floor it’s relatively easy to guard. Now add Azzi and Caroline to the mix, plus Edward’s and Dorka, things get a little bit more difficult For a team to defend.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Just look at the box score for your answers: Nika with only four assists ( 2 for most of the game), Juhasz and Edwards combined for only 11 rebounds, Lou only 1 for 2 from 3 point arc. SC basically shut down most of what UConn does really, really well. Give them some credit.

Reaction Score
... only if she could get open for 3's. That is the question that I'm raising -- could she get open against today's SC defense?
And why wouldn’t she? UConn would have multiple scoring threats from the arc. SC would have to choose who to guard. And then they’d be giving up more points down low. I mean it’s hardly revolutionary to suggest that the more scorers you have on the floor the harder it is to defend …

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Considering when we had starters on the bench who could score and reserves who didnt score. Yeah Azzi and Caroline would have made a huge difference. I would think we wouldve won the game.

Reaction Score
SC's defense was designed to overplay the perimeter. This was a good plan. And it is a lot easier to do if there are fewer perimeter threats. Increase the number of perimeter threats, and the defense has to give up something else.

But this is really a problem with more than two variables. We obviously didn't get enough offense from Dorka. Bring Azzi back and I wonder how long Dawn would be willing to keep Cardoso and Boston on the floor at once. If she has to sub in Amihere or Saxton to cover the midrange opened up by overplaying both Azzi and Lou at the perimeter, I think Dorka's job gets a lot easier, especially since it became very clear early on that neither Saxton nor Amihere were able to defend Edwards.

And yes, guards are totally the answer -- we almost won today with two on the bench.

Reaction Score
SC's defense was designed to overplay the perimeter. This was a good plan. And it is a lot easier to do if there are fewer perimeter threats. Increase the number of perimeter threats, and the defense has to give up something else.

But this is really a problem with more than two variables. We obviously didn't get enough offense from Dorka. Bring Azzi back and I wonder how long Dawn would be willing to keep Cardoso and Boston on the floor at once. If she has to sub in Amihere or Saxton to cover the midrange opened up by overplaying both Azzi and Lou at the perimeter, I think Dorka's job gets a lot easier, especially since it became very clear early on that neither Saxton nor Amihere were able to defend Edwards.

And yes, guards are totally the answer -- we almost won today with two on the bench.
I think you have to play evenly in the paint to win against them. Would fluid help maybe but honestly sc shot horribly and still won. They dominate in the paint and although a valiant effort from the mid 2 qrt on you saw the flown of the game. Shoot rebound score was what they did and Azzi not gonna change that cycle.

Reaction Score
I think you have to play evenly in the paint to win against them. Would fluid help maybe but honestly sc shot horribly and still won. They dominate in the paint and although a valiant effort from the mid 2 qrt on you saw the flown of the game. Shoot rebound score was what they did and Azzi not gonna change that cycle.
Phessa even said in the in game interview how big the SC team is.

Reaction Score
We scored more in the paint than they did.

Reaction Score
SC does dominate in the paint. But they also tend to shoot poorly. Both teams shot near their season averages today. We can't dominate them in the paint, not if we allow them to play the twin towers scheme. We don't have the towers to compete with that. But there's more than one way to skin a gamecock, as they say. Just make it too costly to play that lineup and then the pressure on our bigs will be reduced.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Just look at the box score for your answers: Nika with only four assists ( 2 for most of the game), Juhasz and Edwards combined for only 11 rebounds, Lou only 1 for 2 from 3 point arc. SC basically shut down most of what UConn does really, really well. Give them some credit.
Well, yes, that’s part of it but the other is that Geno game planned to have the Huskies go one on one. There are fewer assists that way

Reaction Score
SC does dominate in the paint. But they also tend to shoot poorly. Both teams shot near their season averages today. We can't dominate them in the paint, not if we allow them to play the twin towers scheme. We don't have the towers to compete with that. But there's more than one way to skin a gamecock, as they say. Just make it too costly to play that lineup and then the pressure on our bigs will be reduced.

What I'm saying add Azzi to the lineup and you move your most athletic wing in Aubrey to the bench. Now you are at a much more deficit at rebounding. Also Aubrey did a excellent job of defending Cooke. Does that trade off help. I don't know. I feel like to beat sc you gotta neutralize the disperancy in rebounding and second chance points.

Reaction Score
The premise of this thread is a joke. Of course Caroline and Azzi would make a difference. Only needed 5 pts.... which either can get in their sleep in the 2nd quarter....

They just needed Lou on one wing and Azzi on the other... Who gets the double?

Azzi and knowing Caroline is available also allows for some tighter defense to get SC to cough up the ball.... A pesky defense with steal/run outs along with the 3s can negate the rebounds too.

Reaction Score
What I'm saying add Azzi to the lineup and you move your most athletic wing in Aubrey to the bench. Now you are at a much more deficit at rebounding. Also Aubrey did a excellent job of defending Cooke. Does that trade off help. I don't know. I feel like to beat sc you gotta neutralize the disperancy in rebounding and second chance points.
That's a good point. But it's still a multi-variable problem. If we have 3 perimeter shooters with Aubrey and Aaliyah, that still maybe enough to upset the rebounding advantage. Rebounds aren't just about height. Also, no one's saying the we run one lineup for the whole game. Remember, bring back Azzi and Caroline and we can run a variety of sets, small and big.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom