SC Game: How Much Difference Would Caroline and Azzi Really Make? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

SC Game: How Much Difference Would Caroline and Azzi Really Make?

Reaction Score
That's a good point. But it's still a multi-variable problem. If we have 3 perimeter shooters with Aubrey and Aaliyah, that still maybe enough to upset the rebounding advantage. Rebounds aren't just about height. Also, no one's saying the we run one lineup for the whole game. Remember, bring back Azzi and Caroline and we can run a variety of sets, small and big.
We can agree that Azzi is a much better offensive weapon. But colud she nullify Cooke like Aubrey? I just think to beat SC isn't about gaurd play but more about playing close to even in the front court. SC doesn't really seem to car me about guard play. It's post post post, and more post. And damn if they not good at it. You can shoot 50% and they shoot 30% but they shoot 3 times damn near every possession.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Scoring was not the problem. Getting killed by their O rebounding was. BTW, hard to imagine a team getting 25 O boards and never going over the back. Anyway, Azzi with her shooting, and Caroline with her versatility , would rarely be on the floor together with Lou and Nika. They obviously would be deeper (the players actually were holding their own at the end today). And this team also needs Aubrey on the floor as much as possible. But the potential for USC to be forced out of their scheme is there with at least one more outside threat on the floor at all times . USC generally doesn’t seem to be a much better offensive team. In addition, with Azzi and Caroline back, the potential for some bench points shoots up a bunch. Anyway, I’m more and more impressed with the toughness of this team.

Reaction Score
Based on the final score and the overall way the team played, I was very surprised. I expected SC to crush us by at least 20 points. Had Geno not shot the team in the foot with that untimely technical, we might have even won? Sometimes coaches purposely light a fire under a team by getting a technical foul called on them. However, our fire was already lite at that time and his act nearly put it out. It's hard to be critical of Geno, but this was not his finest coaching game.

Coach Staley knew we had no one other than Lou who could score 3s consistently, so she draped her defensively as often as possible. Zia Cooke did an outstanding job on her individually.

With a healthy Azzi and/or Caroline we could easily have won this game. At present Patterson is pretty much an offensive liability. So why wasn't Amari (one of those 6'5" players Geno wished he had to use against SC), used until the last 17 seconds of the game??? Another minus rating in Geno's coaching in this game.

Kamilla Cardoso would start on any other team in the country and most likely have a shot at NPOY.

Reaction Score
Azzi and Caroline also make SCs big line up harder to execute. You pull at least one big out to the perimeter and that can lead to an open shot....

Caroline had also gotten really good at midrange rebounding before she got the concussion.....

Reaction Score
Well, yes, that’s part of it but the other is that Geno game planned to have the Huskies go one on one. There are fewer assists that way
This seems really right, judging from what I saw. Nika, Aubrey, and especially Lou torched them on drives. That's what you do when you're being face guarded. Remember that one foul on Cooke when she went to the floor with a bloody nose. That was because she was so close to Lou she couldn't even turn without contact. This is what they were doing all game, and Lou made them pay for it. This was also a dimension of Lou's game we haven't seen as much of -- the smooth handles and the tenacity at the rim. I hope pro scouts were paying attention.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
You can't cut and read into a lane packed with SC's bulk... You have to make perimeter shots to pull them out or get them to go smaller.

Reaction Score
You can't cut and read into a lane packed with SC's bulk... You have to make perimeter shots to pull them out or get them to go smaller.
Thing is they are deliberate about what they are going to do. A credit to them because they play their game. They overplay on the perimeter and that makes you play their style of ball. You try to make them a jumpshooting team but they tend to get rebounds so it's damn near hard to stop.

Reaction Score
Thing is they are deliberate about what they are going to do. A credit to them because they play their game. They overplay on the perimeter and that makes you play their style of ball. You try to make them a jumpshooting team but they tend to get rebounds so it's damn near hard to stop.
It absolutely is hard to stop. But as today's game showed very clearly, we're damn hard to stop too. And we'll be even damn harder to stop with a couple more perimeter threats.

Reaction Score
I did slog through the entire Postgame Thread for the South Carolina game. When you get past the referee complaints, there seems to be a consensus that if UConn only lost by 4 points with its current active roster, then it should certainly win when Caroline and Azzi are added to the mix. Geno elaborated on the thinking behind this position during his press conference, where he said that the only way for this roster to beat SC is to take and make enough 3's to offset the 2's that the Gamecocks are inevitably going to get on the offensive boards.

He implied pretty strongly that even with a 10-player roster, UConn this year doesn't have the horses to really contest SC's offensive boards -- he said that to do that, you would need about four 6-5 players who could be freely substituted so that none of them would have to worry about fouls. Unfortunately, I think he's right, and that will still be the case when Azzi and Caroline return. It would be different if Ice were returning or if Jana could play immediately. So I think it's unlikely that UConn will do better against SC's O-boards in April than they did in today's game.

But (so the theory goes) when Azzi and Caroline are on the floor, SC won't be able to drape Lou and those three shooters (with one or two timely contributions from Nika and Aubrey) can make enough 3's to offset SC's second-chance points. But I'm not sure that I buy into that theory. The reason is that SC's defensive plan today was to guard UConn's perimeter shooters so closely that 3's were not open, even if it meant that those perimeter players could drive past them, which UConn certainly did. (Did anyone notice that UConn actually got more points in the paint today than SC, by a margin of 42-38?) Dawn apparently figured that if she could turn UConn's 3-point shooters into 2-point penetrators, SC would win that trade-off, and that is exactly what happened.

For some reason that I haven't figured out, the screens and cuts that usually provide open looks for 3-point shots weren't working today, or weren't being used. I do think that Azzi and Caroline are better than any of today's players at seeing where they can move without the ball to get open, so that may be the difference that they will make. I certainly hope so ...
They lost by 4. UCONN only took 6 3s? The presence alone of multiple 3-point shooters or even 2-point shooters creates a completely different (more open) landscape...for drives, backdoors. It also impacts who the opposition can put on the floor. Azzi or Caroline could have made a difference, but who really knows if this would have been their first game back. If they missed a game or two I would say that coming back would not be such a mystery, but they missed a lot of games. As far as why they couldn't get open I saw and have seen several reasons. The defense is overplaying and the back doors aren't as open because the middle of the floor is congested...because the defense is sagging off. And Lou has been getting mugged for weeks and everyone knows it. IF Azzi had returned game ready, then I think she would have filled the midrange gap. A few times players drove and then got stuck in no man's land because they drove too deep. Azzi would have nailed the midrange. Having said that...hope she and Caroline return healthy, but I've been in a ride-or-die mode for those who are playing their hearts out...including Amari, Ines and Ayanna. This team is overachieving even in this loss. They held SC to 38% shooting. Scored 77 and shot 50+%. They only had 13 TOs. They just did a lot of things right today (except be taller) and I'm impressed...again.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Dawn knows what she's doing for sure. It's not supposed to be easy. I'm hopeful we get another chance with one or two more arrows in the quiver.

Reaction Score
It absolutely is hard to stop. But as today's game showed very clearly, we're damn hard to stop too. And we'll be even damn harder to stop with a couple more perimeter threats.
Agreed

Reaction Score
Reminds me of UConn teams in the past. Not saying the same style, but the attitude of this is how we play and we ain't changing up

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
We can agree that Azzi is a much better offensive weapon. But colud she nullify Cooke like Aubrey? I just think to beat SC isn't about gaurd play but more about playing close to even in the front court. SC doesn't really seem to car me about guard play. It's post post post, and more post. And damn if they not good at it. You can shoot 50% and they shoot 30% but they shoot 3 times damn near every possession.
Yes Azzi or Caroline can guard Cooke.

Reaction Score
Reminds me of UConn teams in the past. Not saying the same style, but the attitude of this is how we play and we ain't changing

Reaction Score
I agree with @npignatjr. Azzi and Caroline can guard her and any of the SC backcourt. Cooke has been having a good run offensively of late. But most of those games were against lesser teams. She faced a tougher opponent today, and her scoring nose-dived. Though to be fair, she was also asked to play tougher D than is usually required of her. There are trade-offs, and Dawn traded Zia's scoring for her defense.

Reaction Score
I agree with @npignatjr. Azzi and Caroline can guard her and any of the SC backcourt. Cooke has been having a good run offensively of late. But most of those games were against lesser teams. She faced a tougher opponent today, and her scoring nose-dived. Though to be fair, she was also asked to play tougher D than is usually required of her. There are trade-offs, and Dawn traded Zia's scoring for her defense.
I think Aubrey had a lot to do with that today. She gave Cooke the business and locked her down

Reaction Score
I think Aubrey had a lot to do with that today. She gave Cooke the business and locked her down
I agree. Though it's never about just one defender if you play a switching defense as we typically do. All three of our guards played superb defense. I've never been prouder of them.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
A lot of interesting points were made in this discussion. I think the main point made is that SC won because of the difference in the BIG bodies on the court. Talented, big bodies have always been a huge factor in the basketball world.

Reaction Score
I agree. Though it's never about just one defender if you play a switching defense as we typically do. All three of our guards played superb defense. I've never been prouder of them.
I just think Aubrey made today a nightmare for Cooke. I don't know how many people will do that. Cooke is streaky but today it was flat out good d that took her out.

Reaction Score
Against ranked teams, Cooke hasn't shot over 30% this season.

Reaction Score
Against ranked teams, Cooke hasn't shot over 30% this season.

That's the thing she doesn't have to play well for them to win. If she does it's a plus. She van volume shoot because they tend to rebound. If sh is hot then it's a plus. If she isn't it really doesn't matter.

Reaction Score
I feel the way to win is to take away the second chance points. No amount of offense firepower is gonna change what they do. Make them one and done and then those missed jump shots have a penalty. Now it doesn't really matter if they miss or hit.

Reaction Score
I love being positive about our team this year....but Azzi Fudd is not even an All American yet, and won't be this year because of the lack of playing time she will get/an example is Paige last year. She is not a really seasoned player, a really good one, true, but is she a game changer like Paige? Can she make an opening for her to get a shot against a good defense, enough that is to change the outcome of the game, like today?

Reaction Score
I love being positive about our team this year....but Azzi Fudd is not even an All American yet, and won't be this year because of the lack of playing time she will get/an example is Paige last year. She is not a really seasoned player, a really good one, true, but is she a game changer like Paige? Can she make an opening for her to get a shot against a good defense, enough that is to change the outcome of the game, like today?
Yes, she absolutely can, and we've seen her do it in tough games this year. I direct your attention to the Texas game, the NC St game, the Iowa game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom