Saylor is coming!!! | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Saylor is coming!!!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I think folks may be a little over ambitious as to Saylor's contributions this year in games. I think she will largely contribute in practice and use that time to get her conditioning back after surgery and learn the offense to prepare for next year. I would expect Piath level minutes about mid to late February. This is a great opportunity for her to get a head start on her freshman competition next year....
Doubt very much conditioning or time to recover from the surgery will be issue for Saylor. Videos have been posted over the summer/fall of her working out and she appears fit and ready. She is also being well advised by her mother who is her HS coach. Just don't see either of them making this jump without Saylor being in peak physical condition. Paith has only played 19 Minutes total on the season so far. I bet you Saylor plays more than 19 Minutes in her first two games played in February.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Our young Saylor, who beat all her peers into declaring her intentions, strikes out again and prepares for her maiden voyage with a strong vessel under the guiding star of Geno

1610807822358.png

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Academic scholarships are typically based on need, and do not cover all tuition, room & board. While Autumn is clearly deserving of an academic scholarship, it would only cover a portion of her costs at UConn, with the remainder to be covered by work-study, summer job, student loans and family contribution.
There is no "need" component to the National Merit Scholarship Program it is strictly academic talent of which Autumn seems to have plenty.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
There is no "need" component to the National Merit Scholarship Program it is strictly academic talent of which Autumn seems to have plenty.
That’s true. But a National Merit Scholarship maxes out at $2500 per year, which covers only a fraction of the costs at UConn. Out-of-state tuition alone is $40,000 per year. Autumn and her family would still need to apply for need based aid, which would not cover 100% of her costs at UConn.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
That’s true. But a National Merit Scholarship maxes out at $2500 per year, which covers only a fraction of the costs at UConn. Out-of-state tuition alone is $40,000 per year. Autumn and her family would still need to apply for need based aid, which would not cover 100% of her costs at UConn.
That is not correct. $2500 is the minimum award for those in the program.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
That is not correct.
National Merit Scholarships are awarded based on a HS student’s performance on the PSAT and are limited to $2500 maximum. Don’t take my word for it. Please review the following:

nationalmerit.org

Reaction Score
Academic scholarships are typically based on need, and do not cover all tuition, room & board. While Autumn is clearly deserving of an academic scholarship, it would only cover a portion of her costs at UConn, with the remainder to be covered by work-study, summer job, student loans and family contribution.
Scholarships come in a variety of shapes and forms. A friend of mine from my freshman year (like Autumn a valedictorian) was actually making money on all the scholarships he had. Kiwanis Club, K of C, Rotary Club among others just hand out cash awards. Then there Pell Grants.

If Autumn's post college plans are coaching she couldn't be in a better place even if she does pay tuition. Heck she is already taking over in-game coaching from Geno.

Reaction Score
I will say this. If the 4 frosh are as good as advertised next year. Piath, Aubrey, Mir and Autumn don't learn the offense. They will all lose playing time.

With Aubrey Griffin's performance last Saturday against Providence, and her performance towards the end of last season, to include her in this statement, in my humble opinion, is just not correct.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Scholarships come in a variety of shapes and forms. A friend of mine from my freshman year (like Autumn a valedictorian) was actually making money on all the scholarships he had. Kiwanis Club, K of C, Rotary Club among others just hand out cash awards. Then there Pell Grants.

If Autumn's post college plans are coaching she couldn't be in a better place even if she does pay tuition. Heck she is already taking over in-game coaching from Geno.
Yes, I understand. Top HS students can secure a basket full of scholarships from businesses and other organizations upon graduation. But most of those scholarships are limited to a few hundred dollars and are one time only. The total tab at UConn is approximately $60K for out-of-state students covering, tuition, room, board and fees. I strongly suspect that Autumn's family applied for scholarship aid through the national clearinghouse in Princeton, NJ, which requires financial disclosure information including recent tax filings. The clearinghouse then does and analysis and sends it to UConn, who would then put together an aid package, based on need, which is broken down by: scholarship aid, student loans, work-study and family assistance. While such financial aid packages are certainly welcome, they seldom cover 100% of all college costs. Given the choice, I'm certain that Autumn would prefer an athletic scholarship covering almost 100% of all costs.

Reaction Score
Yes, I understand. Top HS students can secure a basket full of scholarships from businesses and other organizations upon graduation. But most of those scholarships are limited to a few hundred dollars and are one time only. The total tab at UConn is approximately $60K for out-of-state students covering, tuition, room, board and fees. I strongly suspect that Autumn's family applied for scholarship aid through the national clearinghouse in Princeton, NJ, which requires financial disclosure information including recent tax filings. The clearinghouse then does and analysis and sends it to UConn, who would then put together an aid package, based on need, which is broken down by: scholarship aid, student loans, work-study and family assistance. While such financial aid packages are certainly welcome, they seldom cover 100% of all college costs. Given the choice, I'm certain that Autumn would prefer an athletic scholarship covering almost 100% of all costs.
yes agreed ....

I did some additional cursory internet search and found a couple of interesting items.

A UConn athletic presentation to the State Legislature noted that UConn provides unlimited meals and snacks to all athletes including walk-ons, a requirement of the NCAA. This suggests that walk-ons may enjoy gratis room as well as board.

A snippet from one UConn site also stated that an out-of-state student-athlete qualifies for in-state rates after the first year.

Also UConn provides a stipend to athletes to make up for "lost" wages since they are prohibited from par-time work. I don't know if Autumn would qualify for that though.

If true Autumn's costs would be a lot cheaper than we think.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
yes agreed ....

I did some additional cursory internet search and found a couple of interesting items.

A UConn athletic presentation to the State Legislature noted that UConn provides unlimited meals and snacks to all athletes including walk-ons, a requirement of the NCAA. This suggests that walk-ons may enjoy gratis room as well as board.

A snippet from one UConn site also stated that an out-of-state student-athlete qualifies for in-state rates after the first year.

Also UConn provides a stipend to athletes to make up for "lost" wages since they are prohibited from par-time work. I don't know if Autumn would qualify for that though.

If true Autumn's costs would be a lot cheaper than we think.
I knew about the meals, but I did not know about the potential for in-state tuition in year 2. That’s a big carrot which would reduce Autumn’s tuition bill from $40k to around $17k.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
National Merit Scholarships are awarded based on a HS student’s performance on the PSAT and are limited to $2500 maximum. Don’t take my word for it. Please review the following:

nationalmerit.org
Don't need to take your word.

In the National Merit® Scholarship Program, three types of Merit Scholarship® awards are offered to Finalists: National Merit $2500 Scholarships, corporate-sponsored Merit Scholarship awards, and college-sponsored Merit Scholarship awards. Special Scholarships are awarded to outstanding students who are not Finalists and meet a corporate sponsor's criteria.

The Corporate-sponsored Merit Scholarship awards, and College-sponsored Merit Scholarship are whatever the the college and the corporation agree to kick in. There also used to be something called a National Achievement Scholarship Program which was National Merit Scholarships specifically for African American Students. That component of the program was folded into the UNCF back in 2016?. As @CajunHusky correctly points out there are many academic scholarships out there and knowing about everyone of them them is critically important to one of my side hustles.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Don't need to take your word.

In the National Merit® Scholarship Program, three types of Merit Scholarship® awards are offered to Finalists: National Merit $2500 Scholarships, corporate-sponsored Merit Scholarship awards, and college-sponsored Merit Scholarship awards. Special Scholarships are awarded to outstanding students who are not Finalists and meet a corporate sponsor's criteria.

The Corporate-sponsored Merit Scholarship awards, and College-sponsored Merit Scholarship are whatever the the college and the corporation agree to kick in. There also used to be something called a National Achievement Scholarship Program which was National Merit Scholarships specifically for African American Students. That component of the program was folded into the UNCF back in 2016?. As @CajunHusky correctly points out there are many academic scholarships out there and knowing about everyone of them them is critically important to one of my side hustles.
So as one of your side hustles I am curious just how often you’ve seen a student earn a National Merit Scholarship that covers the full cost of tuition, room, board and fees at a college with costs approaching $60k per annum.

Reaction Score
I think folks may be a little over ambitious as to Saylor's contributions this year in games. I think she will largely contribute in practice and use that time to get her conditioning back after surgery and learn the offense to prepare for next year. I would expect Piath level minutes about mid to late February. This is a great opportunity for her to get a head start on her freshman competition next year....

Unless she shows to be an incredible shooter I can't see her getting anything but as you say "Piath minutes."

UCONN already has 7 players in a stable rotation. There still is heavy consideration for Nika and Mir getting in the mix.

So where's the minutes? If she gets minutes then why would Nika and/or Mir get decent minutes? Giving up on one or both? And Aubrey should get more minutes, right? Should Edwards get more? So they get more minutes and Nika and Mir should get more of a look -- so now Saylor is going to get decent minutes too?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
So as one of your side hustles I am curious just how often you’ve seen a student earn a National Merit Scholarship that covers the full cost of tuition, room, board and fees at a college with costs approaching $60k per annum.
Never. You? I like how you moved the goal post there from $2,500 right up to $60K-just sayin!

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Unless she shows to be an incredible shooter I can't see her getting anything but as you say "Piath minutes."

UCONN already has 7 players in a stable rotation. There still is heavy consideration for Nika and Mir getting in the mix.

So where's the minutes? If she gets minutes then why would Nika and/or Mir get decent minutes? Giving up on one or both? And Aubrey should get more minutes, right? Should Edwards get more? So they get more minutes and Nika and Mir should get more of a look -- so now Saylor is going to get decent minutes too?
We are 7 games into the season. There isn't a player on the current roster besides Paige, that has played consistently well enough for Geno to NOT consider putting in an alternative. Saylor will give Geno alternatives. The minutes will take care of themselves.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
I’m hearing that the 15 scholarship limit will be raised temporarily due to Covid. I expect Autumn to get a scholarship at some point, though, with a 4.0 GPA in the fall semester and having been high school valedictorian, she may already have a full academic scholarship. By the end of the decade, we’ll be calling her Dr. Autumn Chassion, M.D. She is not an average student.
Yes sir right on, shortly after the announcement of her walking on there was talk about her academic status and scholarship opportunities. Least we forget UCONN like most Univ. have a boatload of various grants all manor of financial aid. I would be surprised if Autumn's family has to pay as much as I pay for gas, I just filled up for the first time since October, $27.00.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The goalposts have always been $60k, the value of an athletic scholarship at UConn, which I’m sure Autumn’s parents are well aware of.
:eek: Autumn is not on an athletic scholarship though.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
A gathering of angels appeared above my head
They sang this song of hope, and this is what they said

Come sail away, come sail away, come sail away with me
? :cool:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics