Saylor is coming!!! | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Saylor is coming!!!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
No class is ever going to beat the TASS force for FG accuracy. Not with Sue at 45% career deep shooter and Tamika at 70% from close in.
When it comes to FG% I agree, but so many of their baskets were scored in the paint that, other than Sue, I don’t really consider that class to be a great shooting class.

Reaction Score
Her family lives in Western, MD, about a 2-hr drive from the Fudds.
Is that Western, Maryland or Western Maryland? If it's Western Maryland without the comma I would like to know where in particular since I grew up out there in the boonies. ;)

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
I side with those who think SP will not get much playing time this year, but I have yet to see what I consider the most pertinent reason (my apologies if I missed it from someone else). In a word: chemistry.

In the recent podcast Undefeated 2002 we found out that a big reason why the 2000-2001 class underperformed, still considered the biggest collection of talent ever, was chemistry. I am proud of the character of the women Auriemma recruits into the program, but they are still human. Certain conditions in 2000-2001 led to lukewarm chemistry. Giving SP significant playing time in a rigorous program after missing half a year, even if she "deserves" it talent wise, would hurt the chemistry that has been forming. Indeed, she will not make many 3 point shots if she seldom receives passes.

Still, for a variety of reasons that everyone already has cited coming early is a very wise decision on SPs part.

Reaction Score
I had the pleasure of watching Saylor play 3 games with Middletown last season. @RoadWarrior was with me for a couple of them.

As we've said before, Saylor is a highly versatile player. She jumps center to start the game and plays in the post in the zone defense. She also brings the ball up the floor and initiates the offense. She defends, rebounds, blocks shots, throws great passes (including from 50'), and scores from everywhere. Her step-back 3-pointer from 22-25' is unstoppable. She's not as great a shooter as Paige or Azzi, but she's good. Her form on FTs is classic. Saylor is a legit 6'2" and a coach's daughter. She has a good IQ and likes to be challenged.

Remember that Saylor had hip surgery (like Phee, Crystal, Sue, et al.) last spring and was on a crutch for a while. She had to recover and rehab. Saylor was unable to run or play hoops for a while, but she worked hard with her personal trainer. She likely was out of shape in the fall, because of the surgery, but should be ok now, though probably not in UConn basketball shape yet.

I suspect Saylor's decision was based partly to get some structure and partly to get a jump on the UConn learning curve. She hasn't played much basketball since March, so she probably is eager to get back on the court, which was looking questionable at Middletown. She'll be behind the curve on the plays and conditioning, but she's smart and a hard worker. This will definitely help her and the team for next fall. Can Saylor learn fast enough to contribute this season? It's a tough ask in a very short period of time, but her strong instincts will help her.

By the way, she's a really nice person. The team chemistry is excellent, and Say should fit right in. I commend her for taking this big step. As noted, she is a person who likes a challenge.

The HoopGurlz ranking is a joke. Almost everyone else has her listed between 5 and 15. I think that's accurate.

Another addition: As Geno typically does with freshmen, he'll try to simplify things for Saylor. He may tell her to defend a particular player, grab some rebounds, play a certain place in a zone press, or get open for threes. She should be able to manage those things.
You bring up a great point I had forgotten. In the videos I have seen, Saylor displayed strong guard skills when she brought the ball up and initiated the offense. While Evina does an adequate job subbing for Paige and Muhl appears to be a Geno favorite, I can see by year's end Saylor getting 2 guard time against certain match ups.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Is that Western, Maryland or Western Maryland? If it's Western Maryland without the comma I would like to know where in particular since I grew up out there in the boonies. ;)
Middletown

Reaction Score
Her family lives in Western, MD, about a 2-hr drive from the Fudds.
If Paige's family is in Middletown, then they are neighbors of the Poffenbargers. By the way, Middletown is not in Western Maryland being in Frederick County. ;)

Washington, Allegany, and Garrett Counties are the true Western Maryland.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I side with those who think SP will not get much playing time this year, but I have yet to see what I consider the most pertinent reason (my apologies if I missed it from someone else). In a word: chemistry.

In the recent podcast Undefeated 2002 we found out that a big reason why the 2000-2001 class underperformed, still considered the biggest collection of talent ever, was chemistry. I am proud of the character of the women Auriemma recruits into the program, but they are still human. Certain conditions in 2000-2001 led to lukewarm chemistry. Giving SP significant playing time in a rigorous program after missing half a year, even if she "deserves" it talent wise, would hurt the chemistry that has been forming. Indeed, she will not make many 3 point shots if she seldom receives passes.

Still, for a variety of reasons that everyone already has cited coming early is a very wise decision on SPs part.
In a normal WBB year I would strongly agree with you. Everything has been abnormal from the uncertainty of the schedule to Geno tinkering with the starting lineup before the last game. I agree that the on court chemistry desired is important but in a normal year that chemistry would have been tested by a top 5 opponent and has not been so far. As far as the off court chemistry COVID pretty much forced the team to be in pods and have to rely on each other so I think that part may actually have been enhanced. Lastly it is January and UCONN has played only 7 games. I don't know if UCONN will get to play the remaining games and make up the others but assuming they do then Saylor would have played in over ~ 25-30 games in a season without losing any eligibility. My guess is Geno will find a way to use her if she demonstrates the skills for which she was recruited.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
If Paige's family is in Middletown, then they are neighbors of the Poffenbargers. By the way, Middletown is not in Western Maryland being in Frederick County. ;)

Washington, Allegany, and Garrett Counties are the true Western Maryland.
My bad. I thought this thread was about Saylor, and had not realized that we were talking about Paige. I used to live in Columbia, MD. As far as I was concerned, Frederick was western MD, although I can understand your geographic point of view.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Based on what I’ve seen, I think Say averaged about four 3-pointers taken per game. She probably averaged a little under two made per game. If she averages over one made per game this season, in limited time, I’ll be happy. The person most likely to challenge Kaleena’s record of 398 made treys, is this player:

Saylor is good/really good. Azzi is as good as it gets. With some combo of Liv, Amari, Saylor, Caroline, Paige, Azzi, et al., the outside shooting will be stellar.

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
In case you are accustomed to seeing Saylor play as a blonde, this IG photo from 3 weeks ago suggests that she may look a little different. Look for the tall, athletic player wearing #4.

Attachments

• D7C2DB10-2D7C-42CB-BEE1-1EBF29EC7991.jpeg
    D7C2DB10-2D7C-42CB-BEE1-1EBF29EC7991.jpeg
    414.1 KB · Views: 347
Reaction Score
As usual, some expectations are completely out of control.I don’t think we have anyone that currently knocks down 4-6 threes a game so if she were to come in and do that, it would completely change the entire rotation, including the starters. I will be happy if she simply blends in well and gets prepared for next season. Of course, if she comes in and gives us 12-16 points per game, I’m not going to complain but I’m not holding my breath.

Reaction Score
UConn is now at the point where they could potentially bump up against the scholarship limit next year. Assuming that everyone returns next season and Geno decides to award Autumn a scholarship, with 4 newcomers on board, that puts UConn at the NCAA limit of 15 scholarships. Adding another player this season, who could return next season could create an excessive numbers problem, something we’ve never seen before at UConn.
Autumn won't be getting a scholarship anytime soon. They need their options left open.

Reaction Score

3 months in UConn's program, from coaching to conditioning trainers to practicing with the team will advance SP further than 2 more years of high school would at this point.

Reaction Score
2020-21 season per NCAA is a 'free season' for all participants in terms of eligibility. Paige for example could play this whole season and still have 4 years of eligibility left. Same will hold true for Saylor and anyone else who plays at any time this year.
Also the 3 Jr's can have 2 years each if they so choose

Reaction Score
In a previous thread of Geno's 1/5/21 press interview, at the 35min mark he was asked point blank whether any of our incoming 2021 recruits were trying to come this spring, and whether he would entertain that if they wanted to. He said it hasn't happened yet, and that all the 2021 recruits were in their high schools, and essentially pooh poohed the last question of the interview. I find it hard to believe that Saylor lined up graduating from high school, and then also satisfied all UConn's admission steps, in the 9 days since that interview and before today, without any discussion with the program before 1/5. Why not just say if one or more of the kids could work it out, that they would be welcome? I can see not being specific if it is not a done deal at 1/5, but what purpose is served by not being forthright answering the journalist's question? We would if we could.

Reaction Score
2020-21 season per NCAA is a 'free season' for all participants in terms of eligibility. Paige for example could play this whole season and still have 4 years of eligibility left. Same will hold true for Saylor and anyone else who plays at any time this year.
Who's talking about transfers because I didn't. Next year 14 scholarship players. I don't see him giving her the last one. If no one transfers out for next year than no way. Also the 3 Jr's can have 2 years each if they so choose to. Highly unlikely but you never know.

Reaction Score
Who's talking about transfers because I didn't. Next year 14 scholarship players. I don't see him giving her the last one. If no one transfers out for next year than no way. Also the 3 Jr's can have 2 years each if they so choose to. Highly unlikely but you never know.
UcMiami this was for old dude not you. Sorry

Reaction Score
Assuming Autumn works hard and meets Geno’s expectations, I absolutely believe that Geno will reward Autumn with a scholarship before he considers bringing in a transfer, if it comes down to that.
Read post I wrote on UCMiami my opinion.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Read post I wrote on UCMiami my opinion.
We have multiple post overlap here. Coco suggested that Geno should offer a scholarship to a transfer. I responded to that post with my argument that UConn could have 15 scholarship players next year if Evina stayed & Autumn received a scholarship. When you responded to that post, I concluded you were also advocating for a transfer. So rather than confuse everyone further, let’s just say that Geno will have some challenges next season managing the largest roster of talented players he’s ever had.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I’m hearing that the 15 scholarship limit will be raised temporarily due to Covid. I expect Autumn to get a scholarship at some point, though, with a 4.0 GPA in the fall semester and having been high school valedictorian, she may already have a full academic scholarship. By the end of the decade, we’ll be calling her Dr. Autumn Chassion, M.D. She is not an average student.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom