Saylor is coming!!! | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Saylor is coming!!!

Reaction Score
We have multiple post overlap here. Coco suggested that Geno should offer a scholarship to a transfer. I responded to that post with my argument that UConn could have 15 scholarship players next year if Evina stayed & Autumn received a scholarship. When you responded to that post, I concluded you were also advocating for a transfer. So rather than confuse everyone further, let’s just say that Geno will have some challenges next season managing the largest roster of talented players he’s ever had.
I was to tired to rewrite everything correctly lol! I'm good

Reaction Score
I will say this. If the 4 frosh are as good as advertised next year. Piath, Aubrey, Mir and Autumn don't learn the offense. They will all lose playing time.

Reaction Score
A gathering of angels appeared above my head
They sang this song of hope, and this is what they said

Come sail away, come sail away, come sail away with me

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
[/QUOTE]
Both Saylor and Caroline had growth spurts of 3-4” in the past 2 or 3 years, though maybe not at the same time. Though I don’t have a Hartley Meter around, my best info is that both are 6’2”. In fact, Say told me she’s 6’2” and @RoadWarrior confirmed it with his own eyes. Those pics from 1-3 years ago are out of date. I bet Say and Caroline Ducharme will be within 1/2” of each other next year.

Reaction Score
Welcome to the crew Saylor, may you ride nothing but a wave of success on the good ship UConn. @meyers7 I had to, you got my initial thought with screen time much earlier. ;)

Assuming that everyone returns next season and Geno decides to award Autumn a scholarship
No attack @oldude and not on Autumn either but why would someone assume Geno would be awarding a scholarship to a walk on so soon? His goal is and has always been to win NC's not award scholarships. I could see it if she can earn deserved playing time and I hope she does but don't see that next season.
If she breaks the three point scoring record at UConn will there be an asterisk next to her record?
YES! But it will not look like the asterisk you are used to. It will be a little round object with little mushroom thingies all over it.
Hmmm. Maybe you should read the thread.....
Honestly, who has time for that.... besides... do people actually know or just speculate which is a big thing here......

If you can read this... thank a teacher
UCONN's NEAG SCHOOL OF EDUCATION

A shame in these times of covid some have no time to read. No attack but you post a couple questions to the forum and then claim most here is just speculation. I would say separate the wheat from the chaff and go with your first instinct as a teacher. ;)

Wait.... I did not read all these messages and maybe I should have....

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Very surprising that anyone would opt into this Covid season.

Saylor is choosing between organized basketball with regular Covid testing while going to school online and no organized basketball without regular Covid testing while going to school online. I can see why she chose to come early.

Without a HS season, having finished her coursework, and no promise of a prom or graduation, what does she have to lose by moving on?

Last edited:

Rocket009

Santa Cruz. CA
Reaction Score
In a previous thread of Geno's 1/5/21 press interview, at the 35min mark he was asked point blank whether any of our incoming 2021 recruits were trying to come this spring, and whether he would entertain that if they wanted to. He said it hasn't happened yet, and that all the 2021 recruits were in their high schools, and essentially pooh poohed the last question of the interview. I find it hard to believe that Saylor lined up graduating from high school, and then also satisfied all UConn's admission steps, in the 9 days since that interview and before today, without any discussion with the program before 1/5. Why not just say if one or more of the kids could work it out, that they would be welcome? I can see not being specific if it is not a done deal at 1/5, but what purpose is served by not being forthright answering the journalist's question? We would if we could.
Listening to the interview - he seemed to know all about the process and what steps needed to happen, so I think he was aware that this a possibility.

Reaction Score
Saylor is choosing between organized basketball with regular Covid testing while going to school online and no organized basketball without regular Covid testing while going to school online. I can see why she chose to come early.

Without a HS season, having finished her coursework, and no promise of a prom or graduation, what does she have to lose by moving on?
She loses a full season of normal college basketball, for bizarro world basketball and less games?

Reaction Score
Assuming Autumn works hard and meets Geno’s expectations, I absolutely believe that Geno will reward Autumn with a scholarship before he considers bringing in a transfer, if it comes down to that.

He might do it at some point as a nice gesture - since it is unlikely he wants 15 true scholarship players anyway. However the chance of Autumn ever being a UConn rotation player is close to zero.

Reaction Score
Reviewed some clips on Saylor. First, I want to say that when you only look at clips, most everybody looks dominate.

From what I remember seeing before and what I saw recently, she can flat-out shoot the rock. I’d like to know what her percentage is from three. I really like how she can create space for herself with a quick and large hop to shoot the three. This is reminiscent of KLS except that the hop was not as quick or large. This could be a huge attribute going forward for Saylor. Not many players can create space for the three – I think she can do the same at the college level. She does shoot the ball low so this could be why she needs that space as well.

I like her aggressiveness and fire to go along with length on the perimeter. Does GA have yet another one of these types of players? I hope so.

Also, she does not seem to be a stiff athlete to me. Many players her size are a bit stiff. She has some flexibility to her which at her size is great to have. She also has a good, strong build. She is not a twig.

The floor/minimum for her this year is that she gives us 10 minutes and hits a three or two a game and is decent in the other aspects of the game.

The ceiling could be much more, hard to tell at this point. But, if we get the floor/minimum from her, then we are going to be a much better and deeper team. She can help us at the 4 and 3. If she can play defense and pick up the offense, well we have a really terrific addition to the team who could easily be first or second off the bench.

All of this has to be tempered with the fact that she is coming off injury. As a result, the player we see on tape may not be the same this year.

Also, keep in mind we have great passers that can help get the ball to Saylor when and where she is at her best to take advantage of her best attributes. So that helps as well.

Reaction Score
Both Saylor and Caroline had growth spurts of 3-4” in the past 2 or 3 years, though maybe not at the same time. Though I don’t have a Hartley Meter around, my best info is that both are 6’2”. In fact, Say told me she’s 6’2” and @RoadWarrior confirmed it with his own eyes. Those pics from 1-3 years ago are out of date. I bet Say and Caroline Ducharme will be within 1/2” of each other next year.
[/QUOTE]
MH, What was the caliber of the teams you saw her play against? How about her team?Thanks

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I do not see how the 'loophole' for a few outstanding kids who can benefit during very difficult times (for one semester) is going to dry up possible scholarship slots. These were already set up for the next 4 years in college so who are they blocking? :confused:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think folks may be a little over ambitious as to Saylor's contributions this year in games. I think she will largely contribute in practice and use that time to get her conditioning back after surgery and learn the offense to prepare for next year. I would expect Piath level minutes about mid to late February. This is a great opportunity for her to get a head start on her freshman competition next year....

Reaction Score
I think folks may be a little over ambitious as to Saylor's contributions this year in games. I think she will largely contribute in practice and use that time to get her conditioning back after surgery and learn the offense to prepare for next year. I would expect Piath level minutes about mid to late February. This is a great opportunity for her to get a head start on her freshman competition next year....
I just don't think it will take her all year to learn the offense.

I think she learns it well enough and is in enough shape to at least help with 10 minutes a game by March, unless the injury is holding her back. That for me is the floor/minimum of what she will do this year. I do agree that she will contribute and makes others better in practice as well.

Reaction Score
He might do it at some point as a nice gesture - since it is unlikely he wants 15 true scholarship players anyway. However the chance of Autumn ever being a UConn rotation player is close to zero.
I think Geno has a pretty good idea of what Evina will do after this season, and is probably making plans for next year assuming she will declare for the WNBA. In fact you could say her possible departure has already been compensated for. If nobody leaves it might be tough for him to give Autumn a scholarship, but someone probably will.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I’m hearing that the 15 scholarship limit will be raised temporarily due to Covid. I expect Autumn to get a scholarship at some point, though, with a 4.0 GPA in the fall semester and having been high school valedictorian, she may already have a full academic scholarship. By the end of the decade, we’ll be calling her Dr. Autumn Chassion, M.D. She is not an average student.
It is also entirely possible that Autumn is on an academic scholarship and will not need a basketball (athletic) scholarship. 4.0 GPA and class valedictorian sound like great credentials to qualify for a National Merit Scholarship. Keep in mind that Autumn: "had scholarship offers and interest from other schools, including two from the Ivy League. Chasing your dreams is one thing but a 4.0 GPA is plenty smart enough to calculate the impact to the parents pocketbook of chasing said dream.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
It is also entirely possible that Autumn is on an academic scholarship and will not need a basketball (athletic) scholarship. 4.0 GPA and class valedictorian sound like great credentials to qualify for a National Merit Scholarship. Keep in mind that Autumn: "had scholarship offers and interest from other schools, including two from the Ivy League. Chasing your dreams is one thing but a 4.0 GPA is plenty smart enough to calculate the impact to the parents pocketbook of chasing said dream.

Academic scholarships are typically based on need, and do not cover all tuition, room & board. While Autumn is clearly deserving of an academic scholarship, it would only cover a portion of her costs at UConn, with the remainder to be covered by work-study, summer job, student loans and family contribution.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom