OT: - Sarah Strong and FIBA U 18 Women's Americup 2024 games start Monday | Page 8 | The Boneyard

OT: Sarah Strong and FIBA U 18 Women's Americup 2024 games start Monday

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Davidson adding us after Geno signed is a great sign. But do we actually have an offer to her or is this like Brynn where she has us on her list but we didn’t actually offer her?

An offer has not been reported but I would be stunned if a top 2/3 recruit in the '25 class who just put UConn back on her list doesn't have one.

Reaction Score
An offer has not been reported but I would be stunned if a top 2/3 recruit in the '25 class who just put UConn back on her list doesn't have one.
Hopefully Chris was checking her out then. Her adding us after the extension should be a sign she’s interested.

Reaction Score
For Geno to have to possibly request someone not to get many minutes hints that she may have underlying injuries he’s worried about flaring up.
It’s pretty obviously to bring her back slowly from the knee injury that she had in the final game of her season. She didn’t play in any of the tournaments after that so keeping minutes under 15 per game is smart. Y’all read to much into things that need not be read into.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I'm not sure that we know either of the points you made (fewer minutes requested or injuries) but rather the coaches may be saving her for the games that matter (semi-finals and finals).

Let's think on the positive side here [Aways lLook on the bright Side of Life comes to mind]....

Analogous to wrestling, where we coach to use your fourth best takedown to set up your 3rd best takedown, and then use your third best takedown to set up you second best, and then pin them out That way you don't have to show how your 2nd best takedown sets up your best takedown until the finals (if then), which makes it undefendible as so few people have seen it - even in this 100% video 24/7 kind of world we live in today. In the State Finals (or NCAA finals) it will take all four in series (without slowing down to think - must just react with extremely small reaction time to pressure changes (not what you see as that is too slow), and take what they are giving as well as making the react to you doing something they very rarely see you doing in actual matches.

Play with speed beyond what the opponents can handle, as UConn finally has bench strength, maintain speed through substitutions (multiple at one time) so the other team needs to adjust WHILE the speed of the game is overwhelming and just keeps getting faster & more overwhelming. Kind of what the Gys did this past year on the way to back-to-back titles. You can't "give 110%" of your own capacity, but you CAN gperform well beyond 110% of your opponent's capacity (as individuals or as a team; on each play (defense or offense) or quarter ro in a game)!

Go Huskies!
Was thinking about the depth and whether Geno would use it to run teams. 3 and 2 years ago we had a fair amout of discussion of this and then injuries made that point moot. Geno likes pushing the ball, but I can't recall him platooning or similar to run other teams. I Think he rightly perceives leaning too hard on speed as disrupting the flow we hopefully have going. The way the Huskies move the ball and people on offense will wear down many a tem.I recall Breanna was interviewed after a victory in a big game and she had what I call her tight, evil face on as she said more or less 'we could see they were tired in the third quarter and then we really put the pedal down'.

Reaction Score
Harper was fired long before Geno added his extension.
Yep, but I'm pretty sure it took some time for in roads to be made by the new coach and for a sizable NIL offer to be drawn up, so Jazzy 's interest in UCONN and TN probably peaked about the same time.

Reaction Score
Has nothing to do with Geno, just could be why she added Tennessee.
It would make more sense for her adding UCONN to be about Geno though, considering she gave a finalists list publicly, only to retract and add us and Tennessee. Not many recruits have gone back and edited their lists when it’s already made public. But Geno signing could’ve encouraged her.

Reaction Score
The poster was guessing that Geno requested fewer minutes. No one knows if that's true or not.
I noticed that most of them played around 15 minutes except for Heckel(sp?) who played about 20. The Mexico game threw the average off a bit.

Reaction Score
Another anticipated blowout today. The other bracket is like ours, namely one good team and three bad ones. We can see some of the skills of the players, but the first game with any meaningful resistance will be the championship against Canada. Sarah has shown her skills mostly on the perimeter on offense, but has spend significant time on defense guarding the post. for the most part the other teams don't have very good low post options.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I really can't see Geno asking another coach how to manage minutes of a potential UConn player!
He wouldn't interfere in their coaching!
He would expect common sense to be used!
What I would expect him to do where there is a medical issue with my number 1 pick ... ask her to stay home. I don't think there is a medical issue. The U is a pretty low end frolic and college ball is the front end of your career. Geno's her coach from now until she or he leaves UConn I think.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I found some HIGHLIGHTS for the USA U 18 team on the webpage for "USA BASKETBALL" or
www.usab.com. I googled USA BASKETBALL and on that home page there is an article about
"HOW 3X3 basketball readied Sarah Strong for her USA U 18 team". Then if you scroll down
a bit you will find the "Highlights" for the USA team on the first two days of competition (dated
6/18) and also highlight reel (from 6/18) about the first game where the USA set a record for
three pointers in their 97 - 51 win over Brazil. You need to hit the ">" button to advance the
next video (to the right, i.e. > button) to get to that particular highlight reel.
You should like these highlights because they
include the 3-point buzzer beater by Sarah. ALL THE HIGHLIGHTS ARE THE USA PLAYERS IN
ACTION... ENJOY Z

Reaction Score
I found some HIGHLIGHTS for the USA U 18 team on the webpage for "USA BASKETBALL" or
www.usab.com. I googled USA BASKETBALL and on that home page there is an article about
"HOW 3X3 basketball readied Sarah Strong for her USA U 18 team". Then if you scroll down
a bit you will find the "Highlights" for the USA team on the first two days of competition (dated
6/18) and also highlight reel (from 6/18) about the first game where the USA set a record for
three pointers in their 97 - 51 win over Brazil. You need to hit the ">" button to advance the
next video (to the right, i.e. > button) to get to that particular highlight reel.
You should like these highlights because they
include the 3-point buzzer beater by Sarah. ALL THE HIGHLIGHTS ARE THE USA PLAYERS IN
ACTION... ENJOY Z
“”I've always said that I believe that 3x3 makes you a better 5-on-5 player,” Carruthers said. “For Sarah, it allowed her to grow in every position by having to defend on the perimeter, in the post, as well as having the ability to score from the perimeter and playing with her back to the basket.”

“She's a phenomenal player and I think that she hasn't even reached the tip of the iceberg yet. She's going to flourish when she gets to UConn. I'm just excited to see how she progresses and the things that she's going to bring to the USA team.”

How Two Summers of 3x3 Basketball Readied Sarah Strong for her USA 5-on-5 Debut - USA Basketball

United States | FIBA 3x3 U18 World Cup 2023

Reaction Score
“”I've always said that I believe that 3x3 makes you a better 5-on-5 player,” Carruthers said. “For Sarah, it allowed her to grow in every position by having to defend on the perimeter, in the post, as well as having the ability to score from the perimeter and playing with her back to the basket.”

“She's a phenomenal player and I think that she hasn't even reached the tip of the iceberg yet. She's going to flourish when she gets to UConn. I'm just excited to see how she progresses and the things that she's going to bring to the USA team.”

How Two Summers of 3x3 Basketball Readied Sarah Strong for her USA 5-on-5 Debut - USA Basketball

United States | FIBA 3x3 U18 World Cup 2023
There is a development process players go through while they mature. When you are 7-12 years old (estimating) you want to fire up as many shots as you can. Glad to hear 3 on 3 helped her to this point but after this year going forward I'm hopeful to hear she participates in more 5 on 5's just like she is doing now with limited 3 on 3.

The 3 on 3 is much different than the 5 on 5. Fir example, she will get post passes this year and face some very terrific defenses. Finding an open teammate while different opponents may or may not be converging on you from potentially different angles is much different.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Did Syla and Toby not qualify for Canada?
Syla was on the senior qualifying team - do you mean Savvy? I'm not sure where she or Toby are - they aren't on the 3X3 team, either

On edit: Toby Fournier was born 10/3/05 and at 18 years old is too old for the U18 team (Under 18, for anyone who may not know what the U stands for)
Savannah "Savvy" Swords' birthday is 2/7/07
Syla Swords was born 1/28/06 and is 18 years old

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Another anticipated blowout today. The other bracket is like ours, namely one good team and three bad ones. We can see some of the skills of the players, but the first game with any meaningful resistance will be the championship against Canada. Sarah has shown her skills mostly on the perimeter on offense, but has spend significant time on defense guarding the post. for the most part the other teams don't have very good low post options.
I assume you believe the “one good team” in the other bracket is Canada. Right now the Canadians are trailing Mexico in the 3rd qtr 41-40. So I’m not sure there is any other good team in the tournament besides the US.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom