OT: - Sarah Strong and FIBA U 18 Women's Americup 2024 games start Monday | Page 10 | The Boneyard

OT: Sarah Strong and FIBA U 18 Women's Americup 2024 games start Monday

Reaction Score
To the untrained eye Sarah looks at a level above even her teammates. She looks like an adult playing with kids almost in terms of the passes she makes, the pace she plays with, how she moves off the ball and her an anticipation. Not sure how it will translate to the next level in college but it’s very striking when you watch her play.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Yikes. I almost feel as if an apology should be issued when you win by 98. lol Seriously though...maybe they should do some mixed scrimmaging after you get up by 50. Work on regional bonding or something. Entertain those fans stuck on their phones.
So you're saying that the US should play down to their competition, if I was the team on the other side I would resent that. This is a FIBA tournament, you play your best and hope to win, too many people have gotten soft thinking that it is an insult to go out and do your best. It's not Team USA's fault that they're that good.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Hard to glean much from a game like this. Having said that, Sarah impressed me with her:

1. Court presence and poise, really stood out in that regard

2. Aggressive rebounding, eats up space inside, powerful and sure hands, good outlet passing, getting into transition quickly

3. Quick, sharp passes, good court vision, creative, finds open player. Likes the one hand pass while on the move.

All of which will translate very well in Storrs.

She will probably have to up her on ball defensive intensity and learn to defend the high pick and roll better, but those things will be addressed before November arrives.

Reaction Score
Sarah Strong (through 4 games):
  • Minutes: 15.3 (7th)
  • EFFscore: 20.0 (1st)
  • Rebounds: 9.3 (1st)
  • Assists: 3.3 (3rd)
  • Steals: 2.3 (Tie 1st)
  • Blocks: 0.8 (Tie 8th)
  • Turnovers: 1.0 (Tie 6th)
  • 2 Pt %: 70% (2nd)
  • 3 Pt %: 36.8% (4th)
  • FT %: 100% (1st)
  • FGA: 7.3 (Tie 6th)
Game 5: USA vs Argentina - Semi-Finals (Saturday, June 22 6:40pm)

Game 4: Quarter-Finals: USA vs Dominican Republic: Overview | Boxscore | PlayByPlay | ShotChart | GameStats | Photos | Videos | News |

Game 3: USA vs Mexico: Overview | Boxscore | PlayByPlay | ShotChart | GameStats | Photos | Videos | News |

Game 2: USA vs Puerto Rico: Overview | Boxscore | PlayByPlay | ShotChart | GameStats | Photos | Videos | News |

Game 1: USA vs Brazil: Overview | Boxscore | PlayByPlay | ShotChart | GameStats | Photos | Videos | News |

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I think you are right, but Canada beat Dominican Republic by 90 themselves, and others by plenty, so I think the Mexico game for them looks like an outlier compared to the others. We are still beating teams by more, but there are only two good teams in this tournament and it falls off a cliff after that regarding who is third.
Actually I think you can safely say that they fall off the top of Mount Everest, a cliff is not high enough.;)

Reaction Score
So you're saying that the US should play down to their competition, if I was the team on the other side I would resent that. This is a FIBA tournament, you play your best and hope to win, too many people have gotten soft thinking that it is an insult to go out and do your best. It's not Team USA's fault that they're that good.
I didn't say that. Upon further review, I didn't say any of this. What I suggested is some form of alternative format to benefit the participants and fans. Those seats are empty for a reason.

Reaction Score
UConn fans better get used to lopsided victories in some of the upcoming Big East conference games. While most of us would prefer closer scores, conference blowouts should help to spread the playing time for the team members.

Reaction Score
I notice Sarah is fond of one handed sling passes. These are mainly wrap-around passes to get by a defender. It’s hard to tell from the U games since the camera position is too high and far to see as much detail as one would like. But this makes me think she has quite large hands to be able to control the ball that well in one hand.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
It just came out this morning. It's a really good assessment of Sarah and how she'll fit in at Storrs. His view, and mine, is the future looks very bright for the Huskies, very bright in deed.
Agreed. A pretty thorough inventory of her strengths on the court and some nice footage. Looks like she can meld her game with any Husky to give an opponent real pain. Suspect there is just two words to describe it when Jana and Sarah are out there:

Reaction Score
Agreed. A pretty thorough inventory of her strengths on the court and some nice footage. Looks like she can meld her game with any Husky to give an opponent real pain. Suspect there is just two words to describe it when Jana and Sarah are out there:

Exactly! I've been saying for awhile that Jana will be unleashed by the backcourt strength of UConn. But in an important way, everyone including Paige will be unleashed by Sarah's passing shooting and rebounding abilities. We will have elite level passing at more than just two positions on the floor this season. Picture a lineup with Paige Azzi Sarah and Morgan on the floor -- all great passers and scorers.

Reaction Score
Syla was on the senior qualifying team - do you mean Savvy? I'm not sure where she or Toby are - they aren't on the 3X3 team, either

On edit: Toby Fournier was born 10/3/05 and at 18 years old is too old for the U18 team (Under 18, for anyone who may not know what the U stands for)
Savannah "Savvy" Swords' birthday is 2/7/07
Syla Swords was born 1/28/06 and is 18 years old

Savvannah Swords' date of birth is January 18, 2008, she is U16 age, a little embarrassing that the Basketball Canada site displays the wrong date of birth. They made the mistake of repeating the same date as Marie Grace Talle. The best way to find out a player's date of birth is to type her name into a search engine and complete it with FIBA Profile. If she took part in a FIBA event, you're sure to get the right date. As for Savvy Swords, she should be with the U17 team at this summer's world championship.

There are two notable absentees for Canada, Syla Swords and Avery Howell, who is currently training with the senior team. You're right about Toby Fournier, she was born in 2005, as was Delaney Gibb (#77 ESPN class 2024). On the American side, the best players in the ESPN 2024 class who were born in 2005 and are not eligible are: Jaloni Cambridge, Allie Ziebell, Morgan Cheli, Maskenly Randolph and Olivia Olson. I couldn't find the dates of birth of Mikayla Blakes and Justice Carlton.

We're led to believe that if an athlete is in the same class as a player present at the championship, so are the others in the same class. The classes we have in the ESPN rankings are those of their entry into university, on the FIBA side its age on January 1st, in the case of this year's U18 the oldest players who can play at the Americas Championship were born on January 1st 2006. The best example of how this can be misleading is Sidney Douglas, who is in the class of 2028, yet she is the same age less than ten days behind Olivia Vukosa and Jerzy Robinson, yet when Sidney Douglas starts her freshmen season, the other two will be entering their third year.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Reaction Score

Savvannah Swords' date of birth is January 18, 2008, she is U16 age, a little embarrassing that the Basketball Canada site displays the wrong date of birth. They made the mistake of repeating the same date as Marie Grace Talle. The best way to find out a player's date of birth is to type her name into a search engine and complete it with FIBA Profile. If she took part in a FIBA event, you're sure to get the right date. As for Savvy Swords, she should be with the U17 team at this summer's world championship.

There are two notable absentees for Canada, Syla Swords and Avery Howell, who is currently training with the senior team. You're right about Toby Fournier, she was born in 2005, as was Delaney Gibb (#77 ESPN class 2024). On the American side, the best players in the ESPN 2024 class who were born in 2005 and are not eligible are: Jaloni Cambridge, Allie Ziebell, Morgan Cheli, Maskenly Randolph and Olivia Olson. I couldn't find the dates of birth of Mikayla Blakes and Justice Carlton.

We're led to believe that if an athlete is in the same class as a player present at the championship, so are the others in the same class. The classes we have in the ESPN rankings are those of their entry into university, on the FIBA side its age on January 1st, in the case of this year's U18 the oldest players who can play at the Americas Championship were born on January 1st 2006. The best example of how this can be misleading is Sidney Douglas, who is in the class of 2028, yet she is the same age less than ten days behind Olivia Vukosa and Jerzy Robinson, yet when Sidney Douglas starts her freshmen season, the other two will be entering their third year.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Reaction Score
Sarah Strong (through 4 games):
  • Minutes: 15.3 (7th)
  • EFFscore: 20.0 (1st)
  • Rebounds: 9.3 (1st)
  • Assists: 3.3 (3rd)
  • Steals: 2.3 (Tie 1st)
  • Blocks: 0.8 (Tie 8th)
  • Turnovers: 1.0 (Tie 6th)
  • 2 Pt %: 70% (2nd)
  • 3 Pt %: 36.8% (4th)
  • FT %: 100% (1st)
  • FGA: 7.3 (Tie 6th)
Game 5: USA vs Argentina - Semi-Finals (Saturday, June 22 6:40pm)

Game 4: Quarter-Finals: USA vs Dominican Republic: Overview | Boxscore | PlayByPlay | ShotChart | GameStats | Photos | Videos | News |

Game 3: USA vs Mexico: Overview | Boxscore | PlayByPlay | ShotChart | GameStats | Photos | Videos | News |

Game 2: USA vs Puerto Rico: Overview | Boxscore | PlayByPlay | ShotChart | GameStats | Photos | Videos | News |

Game 1: USA vs Brazil: Overview | Boxscore | PlayByPlay | ShotChart | GameStats | Photos | Videos | News |
That efficiency score is first overall in the Americas under 18 tournament, which considering that some players (on other teams) were in the upper 20's in minutes is amazing. Probably the best overall measure is Efficiency/MPG. There Sarah is once again the standout. There were a few US players that had a higher efficiency rating pg than minutes, but the spread was highest for Sarah..

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Catching up on the thread while I wait for the game to start... should be around 6:40pm Eastern.

Reaction Score
sarah already with 5 rebounds :eek: she might have a double double before the half at the rate she’s going.

Reactions: KCD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom