OT: - Sarah Strong and FIBA U 18 Women's Americup 2024 games start Monday | Page 13 | The Boneyard

OT: Sarah Strong and FIBA U 18 Women's Americup 2024 games start Monday

Reaction Score
If the Offese is good then you'll keep yourself in the game until the Defense clicks in. And there is nothing worng with being in shoootout whne you arguable have the best Offense in WCBB or in a Tourney that was just palyed. Offense wins games too.

Per the link belwo Geno explains at around thre 25:09 mark
"The 40 years I’ve been at Ct . . . our Defense I’ll bet I can count on my thumb how many times they have let us down in the NCAA Tournament. In the NCAA Tournament what will let you down is your Offense.”

This is coming from the greatest coach in WCBB History. Sayings made about Defense beign end-all-be-all - all have cool quotes but the reality is that you can win either way.

ANd just liek a great Boxer such as Sugar Ray Leonard - he could try to play the sty;le Roberto Duran is bets suited for and he won't be as effecitve vs the style of jab and moove in which he was phenomonal at. This tourney team with a different coach could have won differnttly wiht Offense if she put the best offensive player in h/s basketball on the floor. That was my point to willalk.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
If the Offese is good then you'll keep yourself in the game until the Defense clicks in. And there is nothing worng with being in shoootout whne you arguable have the best Offense in WCBB or in a Tourney that was just palyed. Offense wins games too.

Per the link belwo Geno explains at around thre 25:09 mark
"The 40 years I’ve been at Ct . . . our Defense I’ll bet I can count on my thumb how many times they have let us down in the NCAA Tournament. In the NCAA Tournament what will let you down is your Offense.”

This is coming from the greatest coach in WCBB History. Sayings made about Defense beign end-all-be-all - all have cool quotes but the reality is that you can win either way.

ANd just liek a great Boxer such as Sugar Ray Leonard - he could try to play the sty;le Roberto Duran is bets suited for and he won't be as effecitve vs the style of jab and moove in which he was phenomonal at. This tourney team with a different coach could have won differnttly wiht Offense if she put the best offensive player in h/s basketball on the floor. That was my point to willalk.

All I can say is, “No mas!” ;)

Reaction Score

For my part, I think Betts should have been awarded the MVP trophy, she's superior in almost every statistic to Edwards. Only the average points per game is the one that advantages Edwards, 14.2 against 13.2 and even there, if we go with the number of points per minutes played Betts is still superior. Better in rebounds, FG, FT, BLK, and less TO, of course all this translates into the best EFFICIENCY statistic of the tournament.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Well in my opinion the voting committee got it right, I watched every game, and I thought Joyce was the best player in the entire tournament. Several others were great too.

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
If the Offese is good then you'll keep yourself in the game until the Defense clicks in
Yeah...you hope, being tht Geno (preaches) Demands you play good defense he's more worried about the offense bcus the defense is usually on point. Kelly Shumacher, Kia Stokes, Olivia Nelson- Ododa and Nika all carved out valuable playing time while being..shall we say offensively challenged. It'll be interesting to see if Geno can keep KK off the court with her 90 steals from last year (led the team) being tht she averaged only 9 ppg, but thts for another thread....Peace, I'm gone.

Reaction Score
Lee played the most minutes ( almost the entire game ) because she was the teams best parameter defender. They put her on Bascoe and when she was on her she did a good job. When they took her out at the end of the first half, Bascoe went off. It was evident that the other defenders could not handle her. It was important to stop Bascoe to stop Canada. Fans often forget the importance that defense plays.
Jasmine Bascoe, all 5'6" of her, will be playing for Villanova next year ( previously reported ). We
may need to get Nika back to contain her. I saw Jasmine blow by a few defenders and also
score going up against Sienna Betts ( now that is saying something ). Ms. Bascoe's numbers
include 14.8 ppg, FG % of 66.7 two point % 75.8 three point 60 % and free throws : 17 out of
23. Assists 4.7 per game, 4.2 rebounds a game = for a 5'6" point guard???
Somehow her efficiency rating was only 14.8 See you in the Fall, Jasmine.

Reaction Score
Well in my opinion the voting committee got it right, I watched every game, and I thought Joyce was the best player in the entire tournament. Several others were great too.
Joyce had the stats and the numbers. I just enjoyed the " play" of some of the others. Davidson, Heckel, and
Betts and Sarah. Sure, Edwards deserved the kudos... I myself ( in my bias?? ) was merely hoping for someone else to bring home
the KUDOS.

Reaction Score
Yeah...you hope, being tht Geno (preaches) Demands you play good defense he's more worried about the offense bcus the defense is usually on point. Kelly Shumacher, Kia Stokes, Olivia Nelson- Ododa and Nika all carved out valuable playing time while being..shall we say offensively challenged. It'll be interesting to see if Geno can keep KK off the court with her 90 steals from last year (led the team) being tht she averaged only 9 ppg, but thts for another thread....Peace, I'm gone.
My post was sent to willtalk initially stating/implying there was a different way to win - not just Defense. As you point out the Defense if "on point" in terms of expectation then it's the Offense to worry about. This Tournemnt as an example there should have been no question about the Defense. Overall too athetic too quick too big to get "run over." by this type of competition.

He'll play KK because averaging 9 pts a with the firepower this team has would be pretty good as well as her assist numbers should increase with a better a/t ratio as well.

Peace to you too.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Jasmine Bascoe, all 5'6" of her, will be playing for Villanova next year ( previously reported ). We
may need to get Nika back to contain her. I saw Jasmine blow by a few defenders and also
score going up against Sienna Betts ( now that is saying something ). Ms. Bascoe's numbers
include 14.8 ppg, FG % of 66.7 two point % 75.8 three point 60 % and free throws : 17 out of
Eh, we won against Maddy Siegrist (who we also couldn’t stop) and Aneesah before. We’ll be fine if Nova has only one player who can ball out consistently.

Reaction Score
So what's the excuse for Strong playing 10 minutes in the gold medal game whereas the starters got 26, 29, 36, and 36?
I was good with Sarah only getting 10 minutes yesterday. If the coach wanted to play the other players 20 plus minutes, that is their call. I am sure other coaches may or may not be happy with their players logging major minutes but for Sarah, I was pretty cool she got a little run and then was out.

Reaction Score
I was good with Sarah only getting 10 minutes yesterday. If the coach wanted to play the other players 20 plus minutes, that is their call. I am sure other coaches may or may not be happy with their players logging major minutes but for Sarah, I was pretty cool she got a little run and then was out.
Yea three years in a row an incoming freshman injured themselves in a Fiba tournament before their first college season. Azzi and Jana’s impacted their freshman seasons significantly, Ice got another more severe injury before we find out the impact that injury would have caused.

I’d have been even happier if the coaches kept her on the bench the full 40 tbh, as long as she got out without issue.

Reaction Score
This is great news for the BE and, by extension, UConn. She played really well in the final. I'd add the caveat that it was a game with very little defense being played. But she looks really good, at least as good as Heckel. She'll be fun to watch, and I expect she'll get major minutes this season.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score

She could get hurt at any time on the floor or in warmups so if caution over injury is the reason, not sure I get it.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I share your sentiment. And yet, I couldn't help thinking I saw phantom limps during every game. It's a sort of vicarious hypochondria.

I thought she looked healthy. Now she hurt her knee in her last high school game back in April. But her playing here and with the Huskies a couple weeks ago would indicate she's okay.

Reaction Score
This is great news for the BE and, by extension, UConn. She played really well in the final. I'd add the caveat that it was a game with very little defense being played. But she looks really good, at least as good as Heckel. She'll be fun to watch, and I expect she'll get major minutes this season.
I heard that Lee had her clamped when she was defending her.

Reaction Score
I heard that Lee had her clamped when she was defending her.
Yes. Lee is a good defender. But no one else on team USA was able to slow her down. She could be an important addition to Villanova after the loss of Olsen. In another thread, folks had been wondering if any BE teams had been able to land any elite recruits. It looks like Villanova landed one.

Reaction Score
Yes. Lee is a good defender. But no one else on team USA was able to slow her down. She could be an important addition to Villanova after the loss of Olsen. In another thread, folks had been wondering if any BE teams had been able to land any elite recruits. It looks like Villanova landed one.
You think KK could handle her? If she cleans up the fouls, she could be a real killer.

Reaction Score
Either way, not too concerned with Nova, we’ve beat them with Siegrist and Olsen before, two prolific scorers. A one woman team doesn’t do the job against us.
Oh, no. It's not a fear of Nova I'm expressing. It's more a relief that the BE might be getting some top recruits and remain a credible conference after the recent round of departures. I have little doubt that we'll sweep the conference this year and for the foreseeable future.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I'm not so sure why people are so ready to dismiss Villanova. Maddy Siegrist graduated in 2023, not this year, so 'Nova is used to playing without her. Yes, Lucy Olsen is gone but there are a lot of new players that have transferred in or are starting as freshmen. The two returning Maddie's (where does Villanova find all these Maddies?), Maddie Webber and Maddie Burke, were thorns in UConn's side last year and they're joined by transfers from Vandy, SE Missouri, Miss State, and others. 'Nova will also have some size for a change with the addition of 6-3 Rachel Wirts. Maybe UConn will roll over them, I don't know, but to dismiss a team without even seeing what they're capable of seems kinda disrespectful.

Reaction Score
I'm not so sure why people are so ready to dismiss Villanova. Maddy Siegrist graduated in 2023, not this year, so 'Nova is used to playing without her. Yes, Lucy Olsen is gone but there are a lot of new players that have transferred in or are starting as freshmen. The two returning Maddie's (where does Villanova find all these Maddies?), Maddie Webber and Maddie Burke, were thorns in UConn's side last year and they're joined by transfers from Vandy, SE Missouri, Miss State, and others. 'Nova will also have some size for a change with the addition of 6-3 Rachel Wirts. Maybe UConn will roll over them, I don't know, but to dismiss a team without even seeing what they're capable of seems kinda disrespectful.
Well after all, this is the BY with the most informed prognosticators around. Just throw a lot at the wall and see if any sticks.

Reaction Score
Nan/Bobbyj:

If UCONN is helathy with 5th year sr Paige an all-time Hulsy great coming back, and we saw when heltlhy what Azzi could do, and we've seen last year's freshmen perform at teh highest level along with we feel we have the best coach in WCBB along with what he has said about Jana and Sarah between last year wiith Jana and this year with Sarah-- why wouldn't we beleive UCONN will win comfortably with these type of preseason discussions? The futrue Nova player had a fine tournament apparenrlty but so did Sarah. So with what we have returning is it that bad to suggest UCONN will win comfortably (more than likely)?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Nan/Bobbyj:

If UCONN is helathy with 5th year sr Paige an all-time Hulsy great coming back, and we saw when heltlhy what Azzi could do, and we've seen last year's freshmen perform at teh highest level along with we feel we have the best coach in WCBB along with what he has said about Jana and Sarah between last year wiith Jana and this year with Sarah-- why wouldn't we beleive UCONN will win comfortably with these type of preseason discussions? The futrue Nova player had a fine tournament apparenrlty but so did Sarah. So with what we have returning is it that bad to suggest UCONN will win comfortably (more than likely)?
My point is that Villanova is an unknown quantity at this time yet people are dismissing them out of hand. I think that's disrespectful. My statement has nothing to do with UConn.

Reaction Score
Joyce had the stats and the numbers. I just enjoyed the " play" of some of the others. Davidson, Heckel, and
Betts and Sarah. Sure, Edwards deserved the kudos... I myself ( in my bias?? ) was merely hoping for someone else to bring home
the KUDOS.
Why though? Because she chose South Carolina? If so, you know that isn't fair.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom