OT: - Sarah Strong and FIBA U 18 Women's Americup 2024 games start Monday | Page 7 | The Boneyard

OT: Sarah Strong and FIBA U 18 Women's Americup 2024 games start Monday

Reaction Score
I saw Chris Dailey at the USA U18 game. Who is she looking at? Just curious.
Maybe Sarah ? I'm sure C.D.'S off the floor coaching advice is "DON'T GET INJURIED"!
Probably C.D. is also scouting some of the tendencies of the future UCONN opponent players!

Reaction Score
Starting to wonder if Geno told the US team to cap Strong's minutes. She's played the 4th fewest so far and 2 of the 3 behind her have been the last into games.

He told the press that he was quite happy when they informed him she only played 14 minutes the first game.
That doesn’t spell well if he’s concerned about her playing too much.

Reaction Score
Maybe Sarah ? I'm sure C.D.'S off the floor coaching advice is "DON'T GET INJURIED"!
Probably C.D. is also scouting some of the tendencies of the future UCONN opponent players!

Or maybe she's watching to see how certain great players play along side other great players?

Reaction Score
Not saying don't participate. Saying be more selective. This tourney is a dud.
final list
Watching Strong plus two UConn targets: ZaKiyah Johnson and Jazzy Davidson.
UConn didn’t make Davidson’s final 6: USC, UCLA, Duke, SC, TCU, and Texas. (According to On3’s Talia Goodman).

I believe it’s either ND/Louisville for Johnson. Macy and Johnson play on the same AAU team (WV Thunder-UAA). Maybe she goes with her to ND, but I think it’ll be hard for her to leave home (Louisville). We shall see….

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I have been impressed with Johnson so far; tough physical guard who can knock down the three when she has the time and space. I think her and Somfai would round out the 2025 class well.

I like Johnson too though would have Davidson ahead of her. But if they got both--and Somfai--I would not complain.

Reaction Score
final list

UConn didn’t make Davidson’s final 6: USC, UCLA, Duke, SC, TCU, and Texas. (According to On3’s Talia Goodman).

I believe it’s either ND/Louisville for Johnson. Macy and Johnson play on the same AAU team (WV Thunder-UAA). Maybe she goes with her to ND, but I think it’ll be hard for her to leave home (Louisville). We shall see….
She’s added UConn since then.

Reaction Score
Sarah Strong
  • Minutes: 14.9 (9th)
  • EFFscore: 18.0 (Tie 2nd)
  • Rebounds: 9.0 (2nd)
  • Assists: 2.7 (Tie 4th)
  • Steals: 2.0 (Tie 2nd)
  • Blocks: 0.7 (10th)
  • Turnovers: 1.0 (Tie 6th)
  • 2 Pt %: 60% (Tie 4th)
  • 3 Pt %: 37.5% (3rd)
  • FT %: 100% (1st)
  • FGA: 7.0 (7th)
Game 4: USA vs Dominican Republic - Quarter-Finals (Friday, June 21 4:10PM)

Game 3: USA vs Mexico: Overview | Boxscore | PlayByPlay | ShotChart | GameStats | Photos | Videos | News |

Game 2: USA vs Puerto Rico: Overview | Boxscore | PlayByPlay | ShotChart | GameStats | Photos | Videos | News |

Game 1: USA vs Brazil: Overview | Boxscore | PlayByPlay | ShotChart | GameStats | Photos | Videos | News |

Reaction Score
Sarah Strong
  • Minutes: 14.9 (9th)
  • EFFscore: 18.0 (Tie 2nd)
  • Rebounds: 9.0 (2nd)
  • Assists: 2.7 (Tie 4th)
  • Steals: 2.0 (Tie 2nd)
  • Blocks: 0.7 (10th)
  • Turnovers: 1.0 (Tie 6th)
  • 2 Pt %: 60% (Tie 4th)
  • 3 Pt %: 37.5% (3rd)
  • FT %: 100% (1st)
  • FGA: 7.0 (7th)
Game 4: USA vs Dominican Republic - Quarter-Finals (Friday, June 21 4:10PM)

Game 3: USA vs Mexico: Overview | Boxscore | PlayByPlay | ShotChart | GameStats | Photos | Videos | News |

Game 2: USA vs Puerto Rico: Overview | Boxscore | PlayByPlay | ShotChart | GameStats | Photos | Videos | News |

Game 1: USA vs Brazil: Overview | Boxscore | PlayByPlay | ShotChart | GameStats | Photos | Videos | News |
Thanks for the summary!!!

Also good that Davidson added UConn in her final 7 (or 8...) after Geno extended his contract (thanks hoopsnloops32 & ju6381!!!!)

The future keeps getting brighter! Will have to start wearing my welding helmet, or the solar eclipse special glasses pretty soon, just to read the posts on the Boneyard!

Go Huskies!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Did she play the two for all of her minutes? For the U that works for me. Keep her out of the scrum, bring her home whole.

Reaction Score
Thanks for the summary!!!

Also good that Davidson added UConn in her final 7 (or 8...) after Geno extended his contract (thanks hoopsnloops32 & ju6381!!!!)

The future keeps getting brighter! Will have to start wearing my welding helmet, or the solar eclipse special glasses pretty soon, just to read the posts on the Boneyard!

Go Huskies!
Davidson adding us after Geno signed is a great sign. But do we actually have an offer to her or is this like Brynn where she has us on her list but we didn’t actually offer her?

Reaction Score
In any Language... Sarah hits the three ball! Go # 14!
How is she that wide open??? And it's not just this summer. For whatever reason, defenders seem to forget about her.

It must be they fear her passing as much as her shooting.

Reaction Score
How is she that wide open??? And it's not just this summer. For whatever reason, defenders seem to forget about her.

It must be they fear her passing as much as her shooting.
Sarah exists and the boss music starts playing :eek:

Reaction Score
How ? The season is how many months away ?
For Geno to have to possibly request someone not to get many minutes hints that she may have underlying injuries he’s worried about flaring up.

Reaction Score
For Geno to have to possibly request someone not to get many minutes hints that she may have underlying injuries he’s worried about flaring up.
I'm not sure that we know either of the points you made (fewer minutes requested or injuries) but rather the coaches may be saving her for the games that matter (semi-finals and finals).

Let's think on the positive side here [Aways lLook on the bright Side of Life comes to mind]....

Analogous to wrestling, where we coach to use your fourth best takedown to set up your 3rd best takedown, and then use your third best takedown to set up you second best, and then pin them out That way you don't have to show how your 2nd best takedown sets up your best takedown until the finals (if then), which makes it undefendible as so few people have seen it - even in this 100% video 24/7 kind of world we live in today. In the State Finals (or NCAA finals) it will take all four in series (without slowing down to think - must just react with extremely small reaction time to pressure changes (not what you see as that is too slow), and take what they are giving as well as making the react to you doing something they very rarely see you doing in actual matches.

Play with speed beyond what the opponents can handle, as UConn finally has bench strength, maintain speed through substitutions (multiple at one time) so the other team needs to adjust WHILE the speed of the game is overwhelming and just keeps getting faster & more overwhelming. Kind of what the Gys did this past year on the way to back-to-back titles. You can't "give 110%" of your own capacity, but you CAN gperform well beyond 110% of your opponent's capacity (as individuals or as a team; on each play (defense or offense) or quarter ro in a game)!

Go Huskies!

Reaction Score
#1 Minutes Distribution (through 3 games):
  • Heckel: 21.3
  • Lee: 21.0
  • Davidson: 18.9
  • Johnson: 18.6
  • McGill: 18.1
  • Smith: 18.0
  • Edwards: 15.8
  • Betts: 15.5
  • Strong: 14.9
  • Roberson: 14.3
  • Macy: 13.3
  • Francis: 10.4
Don’t really have a problem with the Minutes Distribution #1:
  • Opponents are severely overmatched, comically undersized playing very disorganized helter-kelter basketball;
  • Team USA won lopsidedly with the most basic game plan (Brazil | Puerto Rico | Mexico );
  • Team USA’s guards have played the most minutes, as expected;
  • Aside from Smith, Team USA’s posts’ minutes are similar;
  • Sarah is the most purposeful playmaker during her minutes; her point guard, McGill, unfortunately is not as good as Heckel;
  • There is really no need for Sarah to play in the post on offense against that helter-skelter swarm — she is the best passer to the post, the most-accurate outside threat and the most-relentless defensive rebounder during her minutes anyway;
  • There is really no need for Sarah to assert herself more in the games that have been played.

Reaction Score
#1 Minutes Distribution (through 3 games):
  • Heckel: 21.3
  • Lee: 21.0
  • Davidson: 18.9
  • Johnson: 18.6
  • McGill: 18.1
  • Smith: 18.0
  • Edwards: 15.8
  • Betts: 15.5
  • Strong: 14.9
  • Roberson: 14.3
  • Macy: 13.3
  • Francis: 10.4
Don’t really have a problem with the Minutes Distribution #1:
  • Opponents are severely overmatched, comically undersized playing very disorganized helter-kelter basketball;
  • Team USA won lopsidedly with the most basic game plan (Brazil | Puerto Rico | Mexico );
  • Team USA’s guards have played the most minutes, as expected;
  • Aside from Smith, Team USA’s posts’ minutes are similar;
  • Sarah is the most purposeful playmaker during her minutes; her point guard, McGill, unfortunately is not as good as Heckel;
  • There is really no need for Sarah to play in the post on offense against that helter-skelter swarm — she is the best passer to the post, the most-accurate outside threat and the most-relentless defensive rebounder during her minutes anyway;
  • There is really no need for Sarah to assert herself more in the games that have been played.
I agree. Don’t see how anyone could attach any importance to what they’re seeing here. The competition is horrendous, they look like HS JV teams.

Reaction Score
I think she added UConn after Geno signed his extension.
Geno announced on June 4th at the UConn coaches travelling road show, Davidson's paring down her list was released earlier in the day on June 4th, with the correction done by T. Goodman on June 6th (D-day anniversary) - ALL is good and the future is brighter still!!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom