Saniya Rivers to South Carolina | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Saniya Rivers to South Carolina

Reaction Score
To be fair, it took Dawn slightly less time into her tenure at South Carolina to win her first than it did Geno at UConn. She's very unlikely to get 10 more however. :rolleyes:
Umm. I think you need to add the Temple years to that too.....

Reaction Score
True enough.

Yeah...I was trying to stick up for Dawn, I just can't do it. I don't like her, she's been successful, but of course other coaches have done more than she has.

I never particularly liked her until I met her a few of years ago at MSG at a US Olympic team warm up game..........she comes off a bit tough on camera but she was kind enough to spend ten minutes talking to my daughters and a few of their friends about basketball and couldn't have been nicer.............

Reaction Score
Top program? Did I miss something? Did Dawn win a couple of championships while I was napping?
For all the posts regarding needing bigs, playmakers, etc. Dawn has built a very balanced team.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Umm. I think you need to add the Temple years to that too.....

I worded this carefully. I wasn't talking about her entire career. She won a Title in her 9th year AT South Carolina, Geno won in his tenth year at UConn.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I worded this carefully. I wasn't talking about her entire career. She won a Title in her 9th year AT South Carolina, Geno won in his tenth year at UConn.

She did, but the circumstances at SC when Dawn arrived and in Storrs when Geno arrived were as different as night and day. I know SC WBB wasn't very good, but I'm talking about conference affiliation, arena, money, etc.

What Jim Calhoun and Geno accomplished at UConn are really unmatched in the history of college athletics.

Centerstream

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but
Reaction Score
Ready Azzi to commit already to UConn. She knows she’s going.
I am not sure what you mean but maybe Azzi, even though she is THE #1 prospect for 2021, wanted to wait until all the other top guards committed to declare where she will play. (hopeful thinking.)

Reaction Score
And that was Geno's first head coaching job so let's compare apples to apples... please. Dawn spent a number of years at Temple and couldn't win a title and then moved to SC.

Reaction Score
And that was Geno's first head coaching job so let's compare apples to apples... please. Dawn spent a number of years at Temple and couldn't win a title and then moved to SC.
So if a head coach has a knock against him if he or doesn't win a national championship at his first head coaching job? I might start posting the "Knocks" list that arbitrary assigned to players and coaches by fans of other teams.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I get it, what Geno has done isn't going to be done again. Before UConn there was Immaculata, and then Old Dominion and Louisiana Tech. That kind of thing just isn't happening anymore. There are some nice programs, like South Dakota and South Dakota St., Florida-Gulf Coast, Gonzaga...maybe a few others? But they aren't making deep runs in the Tourney and certainly aren't national powerhouses. I don't think even Geno, if he was starting over at a small school in 2020, would build them up into an elite program in the current world of wcbb. It's just a different era.

Reaction Score
So if a head coach has a knock against him if he or doesn't win a national championship at his first head coaching job? I might start posting the "Knocks" list that arbitrary assigned to players and coaches by fans of other teams.
No not saying that at all. You just can't try and somehow craft a comparison to what Geno and CD accomplished. The two scenarios are not comparable in my opinion.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Not sure why this announcement is on UConn board instead of thr general. She was never a real UConn target. She plays a position we are stacked at....

All available evidence indicates she was, in fact, a UConn target. Not sure what real is supposed to mean.

Big Mick

The all knowing Mick
Reaction Score
With these 6 (or 7) guards onboard for next year, just where would Saniya get minutes?
5' 10" PG Muhl
5' 11" G Williams
5' 11" PG Bueckers
6' 0" G Westbrook
6' 1" G Makurat
6' 2" G Poffenbarger
5' 11" G Fudd (in all probability she chooses UCONN)

Saniya simply missed the window to get to UCONN; methinks, Poffenberger grabbed that spot.

Take this to the bank: there won't be a single "National Championship" in her four years at SC.

Reaction Score
With these 6 (or 7) guards onboard for next year, just where would Saniya get minutes?
5' 10" PG Muhl
5' 11" G Williams
5' 11" PG Bueckers
6' 0" G Westbrook
6' 1" G Makurat
6' 2" G Poffenbarger
5' 11" G Fudd (in all probability she chooses UCONN)

Saniya simply missed the window to get to UCONN; methinks, Poffenberger grabbed that spot.

Take this to the bank: there won't be a single "National Championship" in her four years at SC.
I heard the same thing when A'ja committed.

Big Mick

The all knowing Mick
Reaction Score
Saniya just did an IG Live interview. From what the interviewer confirmed with her, UConn was one of her 3 finalists, along w/ UNC.

She has not been on UCONN's list for ages: she would have had to commit before Poffenbarger.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom