Saniya Rivers to South Carolina | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Saniya Rivers to South Carolina

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Maybe the best thing that could have happened to Dawn and SC is the National Tournament being cancelled. They went a long way with three freshmen starters. However, Geno has said, it is always harder to win in the Tourney. The pressure is very great. Could all three freshmen have handled that pressure? If SC would not have won it all, I believe some SC fans and maybe even Dawn would have said it's hard to win with three freshmen starters. Now, she can boast about being the number ranked team and say all she wants to about how they would have won. If Rivers is as good as advertised, SC can prove themselves the next season that basketball will be played.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Maybe the best thing that could have happened to Dawn and SC is the National Tournament being cancelled. They went a long way with three freshmen starters. However, Geno has said, it is always harder to win in the Tourney. The pressure is very great. Could all three freshmen have handled that pressure? If SC would not have won it all, I believe some SC fans and maybe even Dawn would have said it's hard to win with three freshmen starters. Now, she can boast about being the number ranked team and say all she wants to about how they would have won. If Rivers is as good as advertised, SC can prove themselves the next season that basketball will be played.

Lol everything about this is so off. There is nothing positive for SC about having its best team in school history not being able to compete for a title and cement its legacy.

Reaction Score
Lol everything about this is so off. There is nothing positive for SC about having its best team in school history not being able to compete for a title and cement its legacy.

I get his point. By not winning, it keeps the mystique that SC would've won this or that, instead of losing. It does the same thing for Sabrina and her "GOAT" status. It hurts that Oregon didn't get the chance to win to solidified as a Sabrina as GOAT but it's still there because she didn't win. If Oregon would've lost, the GOAT discussion about Sabrina would've been laid to rest. On the other hand, I believe Baylor not getting a chance to repeat hurt them and it affected the legacies of players like Lauren Cox and T'ea Cooper. Cox being the best player on a team going back to back, and Cooper's redemption from her playing days with Tennessee and South Carolina and UConn winning the title with one of it's least heralded teams ever would've elevated players like Dangerfield, ONO, Walker, etc.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I get his point. By not winning, it keeps the mystique that SC would've won this or that, instead of losing. It does the same thing for Sabrina and her "GOAT" status. It hurts that Oregon didn't get the chance to win to solidified as a Sabrina as GOAT but it's still there because she didn't win. If Oregon would've lost, the GOAT discussion about Sabrina would've been laid to rest. On the other hand, I believe Baylor not getting a chance to repeat hurt them and it affected the legacies of players like Lauren Cox and T'ea Cooper. Cox being the best player on a team going back to back, and Cooper's redemption from her playing days with Tennessee and South Carolina and UConn winning the title with one of it's least heralded teams ever would've elevated players like Dangerfield, ONO, Walker, etc.
Uhm.... Sabrina was not going to get GOAT status even if she had won 2 National Championships. :eek:

Reaction Score
Uhm.... Sabrina was not going to get GOAT status even if she had won 2 National Championships. :eek:
She would've been on somebody's GOAT status if she would've won 2 National Championships. I'm not going to derail this thread by going down that topic.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I am happy that when our recruits commit, it is invariably " UConn is the best place to reach my potential, coach is the one to get the most out of me". and throw in a few "The girls are like family" some of the time

When other recruits commit to other schools, the reasons are all over the place.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
She would've been on somebody's GOAT status if she would've won 2 National Championships. I'm not going to derail this thread by going down that topic.
1590947706852.gif

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Lol. Definitely NOT SC best team in school history.

IMO, This year’s team was a complete package. We had the starters and the bench. We had the guards and the post play.. just a complete team.

As good as Boston was.. It’s still hard for me to see this team beating a team with Wilson/Coates inside.. but then again, who knows. I’ve been back and forth about which team is better for awhile.

bballnut90

Reaction Score

Yeah but no one is giving credit to Oregon, Baylor or South Carolina for a mythical championship. No one will remember those teams as champions because they werent given the opportunity to compete for one despite being the best teams all season. No one considers Sabrina as a GOAT contender besides massive homers and it would only be the same selecf group if she won it this year. Nothing about having a championship caliber team but not taking home the crown is a best case scenario for teams who had a real shot to win it all.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
IMO, This year’s team was a complete package. We had the starters and the bench. We had the guards and the post play.. just a complete team.

As good as Boston was.. It’s still hard for me to see this team beating a team with Wilson/Coates inside.. but then again, who knows. I’ve been back and forth about which team is better for awhile.

I think this was easily Dawn's best team. They were statically far better than any other SC team and had the most cohesive offense with inside and outside threats. The only other real contenders IMO are 2017 and 2016, and this team was far better based on eye test, statistics and results. For any concern about inside defense you have 2 stellar shot blockers in MHH and Boston and this team was a much more dominant rebounding team than any of the Wilson/Coates teams.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
It doesn't taste well with vinegar.

Crow doesn't taste good with anything. :confused: I've had to dine on some on several occasions during my association here in the yard because of erroneous picks/predictions. :( I've since had all of my "tools of the trade" either
recalibrated or replaced.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Which team was better?
1) The team that won the national championship with transfers Gray & Davis.
2) The team that had Tiffany Mitchell as a senior.
3) The team that had Tiffany Mitchell as a Junior.
4) The team that had A’ja Wilson coming off the bench as a Freshman.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

Uhm. When you are comparing teams you might want to start with that other two time SEC POY. Just Sayin!

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Looks like the flood gates have opened up for players committing to South Carolina. Who is next? :rolleyes:

Jolete Law (Dawn's recruiting coordinator) is truly earning her salary.

Will the floodgates go both ways?

Reaction Score
3 and 4 are the same team.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
What if the legacy would not have been cemented? Had they not won it all, and that was a good possibility, there would have been no cementing. The positive is that speculating can continue and no one can truthfully say that SC would not have won it all. No one will ever know.

bballnut90

Reaction Score

Lol. I'll bite:

2019-20 SC:
32-1, 16-0 in SEC
#1 RPI, #1 team entering NCAAs
Average Margin of Victory was by 26.2
Averaged 82.6 ppg
2 games all season ending with a loss or a margin of victory of 3 points or less
7 games all season won by single digits or where SC lost

2016-17 SC (the title team):
33-4, 14-2 in SEC
#3 RPI, #3 team entering NCAAs
Average Margin of Victory was 19.4
Averaged 76.3 ppg
7 games all season ending with a loss or a margin of victory of 3 points or less
11 games all season won by single digits or where SC lost

2015-16 SC team (Mitchell as a senior)
33-2, 16-0 in SEC
#4 RPI, #2 team entering NCAAs
Average Margin of Victory was 17.9
Averaged 73.6 ppg
5 games all season ending with a loss or a margin of victory of 3 points or less
10 games all season won by single digits or where SC lost

2014-15 SC (Wilson off the bench, Mitchell as a junior...these weren't 2 separate teams)
34-3, 15-1 in SEC
#4 RPI, #3 team entering NCAAs
Average Margin of Victory was 21.8
Averaged 75.9 ppg
5 games all season ending with a loss or a margin of victory of 3 points or less
9 games all season won by single digits or where SC lost

If you break it down further, the 2020 team was the best scoring team, the best rebounding team, the best blocking team, has the best wins, fewest losses, and the best record out of those 5 teams. Any other statistical measure they were on par in all other areas.

This was Dawn's best team.

Last edited:

bballnut90

Reaction Score
What if the legacy would not have been cemented? Had they not won it all, and that was a good possibility, there would have been no cementing. The positive is that speculating can continue and no one can truthfully say that SC would not have won it all. No one will ever know.

A final four or runner up is still a terrific post season run and something to hold their head high about and cements the legacy of this team being huge overachievers. SC this year was not championship or bust, they were #8 preseason in the AP poll and they put together a massively overachieving season and was playing like a title favorite.

Not being able to play and prove themselves on the biggest stage doesn't preserve a legacy of "no one can prove we wouldn't have won". That's not something to brag about. Anyone can argue that. Being able to win a title, or get to a Final Four and put up a huge fight in a losing effort, that's something you can boast about.

No one is going to look back and say Dawn has her 2017 title and a "what if" title in 2020. It doesn't work like that.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I tend to agree with this if for no other reason than their defense and insane rebound advantage. Hard to beat a team that defends like that and covers for sometimes questionable offense with tons of second shots.

and as I argued elsewhere, last year's team with Harris, Harrigan and Boston asctually looed pretty good offensively. So good, the SEC may throw them out.

Not sure how the new recruits fit this offensive style and to me look more prototypical SEC

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom