Saniya Rivers to South Carolina | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Saniya Rivers to South Carolina

Reaction Score
She has not been on UCONN's list for ages: she would have had to commit before Poffenbarger.
I have to agree. There’s only one guard in the ‘21 class that Auriemma was going to wait for.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I have to agree. There’s only one guard in the ‘21 class that Auriemma was going to wait for.

Rivers is more likely a wing.

The waiting for Azzi thing might be tested soon.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I have a feeling Auriemma’s not sweating it.

Another elite guard will put out her list soon and UConn's likely to be on it. Perhaps she won't decide until much later either.

Reaction Score
Wasn't Rivers the one who said she would not go to UCONN... and wanted to go somewhere to help them create something.... so why South Carolina? Does not really fit what she originally said. Oh well... have fun.

Reaction Score
Looks like SC is really pushing the #BM to get Fudd. Dad is on board the movement so it'll be interesting to see...

Reaction Score
Saniya just did an IG Live interview. From what the interviewer confirmed with her, UConn was one of her 3 finalists, along w/ UNC.
It's just hard to believe that. She goes around saying she wants to beat UConn and never visits or really interacts with anyone associated with UConn.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Congrats on landing Rivers! Dawn she's doing a great job at SC. I hope we can land one or two more top players in '21.

IMO Maryland and ND are your only real competition for Fudd. SC is so stacked at guard it’s not even funny. Technically we still have room for her as we’ll only be at 13 in fall 2021, but I don’t think she comes here.

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score
To be really fair, it took Dawn much longer into her **career as a head coach** to win her first :rolleyes:
What you fail to realize is that the WBB landscape has changed since the UCONN/Tenn domination. The power 5 schools are now turning their resources into building WBB programs that were ignored up until the last 10 years. This is the future of WBB....the past, while good, is gone. There will be a handful of major programs that will lead the way instead of just two. UCONN, South Carolina, Baylor, Oregon are the big four now with teams like Texas, Miss St. Notre Dame and others very close to that pack as time goes on. The decade of domination will be no more.

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score
And that was Geno's first head coaching job so let's compare apples to apples... please. Dawn spent a number of years at Temple and couldn't win a title and then moved to SC.
She also played in the WNBA at the same time...so....no need to be jealous at what Dawn is doing at South Carolina. UCONN hasn't fallen into an abyss....relax and watch the entire college WBB grow along with the other programs becoming better.

Bajan Best

Decades of Excellence = Legendary
Reaction Score
LOL, I'll be jealous of Dawn when her head to head against UConn is closer to being that of a significant rivalry... The coach only has one win against UConn in 10 years as a head coach and one championship. Let's be real..

Congrats to her on her commitment, at least she can't say going forward they lost because they were unable to recruit. All the best to Soniya Rivers and I'm looking forward to seeing if she can back up her talk when given the opportunity to play against us, many have had the same mindset before her, and many have fell short of those expectations. Just saying.

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score
LOL, I'll be jealous of Dawn when her head to head against UConn is closer to being that of a significant rivalry... The coach only has one win against UConn in 10 years as a head coach and one championship. Let's be real..

Congrats to her on her commitment, at least she can't say going forward they lost because they were unable to recruit. All the best to Soniya Rivers and I'm looking forward to seeing if she can back up her talk when given the opportunity to play against us, many have had the same mindset before her, and many have fell short of those expectations. Just saying.
That may be your take...but others are slamming her for no good reason. No South Carolina fan I have ever spoken to has tried to put Dawn in the same conversation with Geno or Summitt. They are a program that has arrived....not one of a long standing tradition. The fact that they have arrived seems to bring out the hate in some and the realist are just happy to see WBB grow. Read the comments about Dawn just because she built a program in much the same way her long time mentor Geno built his.....Geno was a huge influence on how Dawn does things...and the UCONN fans have hate ?

Reaction Score
With these 6 (or 7) guards onboard for next year, just where would Saniya get minutes?
5' 10" PG Muhl
5' 11" G Williams
5' 11" PG Bueckers
6' 0" G Westbrook
6' 1" G Makurat
6' 2" G Poffenbarger
5' 11" G Fudd (in all probability she chooses UCONN)

Saniya simply missed the window to get to UCONN; methinks, Poffenberger grabbed that spot.

Take this to the bank: there won't be a single "National Championship" in her four years at SC.
I don’t know how you can think that SC is stacked they had a really good team this year and a few other big schools got weaker Baylor Oregon Maryland. UConn got stronger But Is still really young.

Reaction Score
Wasn't Rivers the one who said she would not go to UCONN... and wanted to go somewhere to help them create something.... so why South Carolina? Does not really fit what she originally said. Oh well... have fun.
Yes. Said she "grew up a UConn fan, but now wants to beat them." Rivers was never going to wear national flag blue.

Reaction Score
Every player is not going to commit to UConn. I still find it quite hilarious how upset folks can get when a top recruit commits elsewhere. You can get to the WNBA going to other schools and you can win a championship at another school. You just simply cannot win them all. That wouldn’t make sense for every recruit to commit to UConn, there’s only a certain amount of spots.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom